Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your French bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your French bikes!

Old 08-15-23, 02:59 PM
  #3726  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 247

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 60 Posts

an old picture of the PSV-10. They do ride nicely!
santa fe 2926 is offline  
Likes For santa fe 2926:
Old 08-21-23, 09:19 AM
  #3727  
rmfrance
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW France
Posts: 108

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
1972/3 Peugeot AE 8

Very nice work, with obvious meticulous attention to detail.

I'm not being sniffy - honestly - but the current quill stem extension worries me, security-wise. Leaving aside the contradiction that it's raised and combined with dropped bars, I fear you're risking a structural failure with it set so high, and with possibly little inside the steerer tube.

I don't subscribe to Sheldon Brown's slightly sensationalised vision of 'the death stem' BUT I've seen even shiny premium stems develop cracks from expander slots whose upper ends were squared, rather than rounded-off. I always round-off any I find like that, using a round needle file - a quick and simple fix.

I look forward to seeing the finished bike!

Originally Posted by browngw
Work is progressing on this old beauty, a 1972/3 Peugeot AE 8.
rmfrance is offline  
Likes For rmfrance:
Old 08-21-23, 09:25 AM
  #3728  
Senior Member
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,667

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfrance

I don't subscribe to Sheldon Brown's slightly sensationalised vision of 'the death stem' BUT I've seen even shiny premium stems develop cracks from expander slots whose upper ends were squared, rather than rounded-off. I always round-off any I find like that, using a round needle file - a quick and simple fix.
I like the sound of this. I do want to keep deathly stems on a couple bikes and not have to regularly check them for cracks. Have you got a before and after photo to illustrate the process? Be great to see how much rounding off happens. Many thanks.
__________________
Sedgemop is offline  
Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 08-21-23, 09:28 AM
  #3729  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 292

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 69 Posts
80's Haral

I bought this parts mule of a bike last winter from Ebay. It's become my trusty commuter and does the job very well.

gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 08-21-23, 09:24 PM
  #3730  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,533

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfrance
Very nice work, with obvious meticulous attention to detail.

I'm not being sniffy - honestly - but the current quill stem extension worries me, security-wise. Leaving aside the contradiction that it's raised and combined with dropped bars, I fear you're risking a structural failure with it set so high, and with possibly little inside the steerer tube.

I don't subscribe to Sheldon Brown's slightly sensationalised vision of 'the death stem' BUT I've seen even shiny premium stems develop cracks from expander slots whose upper ends were squared, rather than rounded-off. I always round-off any I find like that, using a round needle file - a quick and simple fix.

I look forward to seeing the finished bike!
Fear not! The quill stem in this bike is long and is well inserted. It is a tourist bike and was designed to be accommodating for all kinds of people. If you look carefully, you can see the pen mark on the stem to ensure that it has the required depth (minimum 2.25 inches)



SR stem in my 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc

Another SR stem in my 1976 Supercycle Excalibur (nee Bridgestone)

Original steel stem in my 1956 Royal Nord President

Original stem in my 1972 CCM Turismo.
. Seat and bars level is what I try to achieve and sometimes change to a taller stem (SR made some great ones!) on my bikes to suit my refined and older riding style. For context, I have shown the original sales info, and a number of my other bikes of the era with properly inserted taller stems.
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Likes For browngw:
Old 08-22-23, 09:13 AM
  #3731  
Full Member
 
awac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: UK, New Forest
Posts: 252

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Makes me want to try large flange hubs for the next build... If I only could find any in black!
Nice idea. How about this?Cerakote. Might look good on a frame as well, but the welds would have to be perfect!

https://www.highcalibrecoatings.co.u...or-motorcycles
awac is offline  
Old 08-23-23, 05:45 PM
  #3732  
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 837

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 297 Posts


Before and After pictures of my "really old" 3 speed Automoto. After this picture ,I added some Rigida wheels with Normandy hubs ,Found out my rear hub was not True so i have a wheel rebuild in store, I installed some white bar tape . Im fixing the front Gloria caliper and then after that it will be road worthy.

If I remember correctly , the serial # makes it an early 50's bike,, but its been awhile since I looked it up so I forgot the exact year.
Manny66 is offline  
Old 08-23-23, 06:55 PM
  #3733  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,610

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 2,394 Times in 1,145 Posts
^ Cool chainring.
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-24-23, 06:34 AM
  #3734  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Before and After pictures of my "really old" 3 speed Automoto. After this picture ,I added some Rigida wheels with Normandy hubs ,Found out my rear hub was not True so i have a wheel rebuild in store, I installed some white bar tape . Im fixing the front Gloria caliper and then after that it will be road worthy.
If I remember correctly , the serial # makes it an early 50's bike,, but its been awhile since I looked it up so I forgot the exact year.
Was that chrome under the paint, or did you supply it? The bike looks spectacular.
__________________
1989Pre is offline  
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 08-24-23, 03:01 PM
  #3735  
Newbie
 
George Abitbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Bottom of Alps
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 11 Posts


https://i.postimg.cc/kg8gfyqp/20221024-185258.jpg


This is my Motobecane Federal, in Reynolds A tubing, 650 b maxicar / super champion wheels, simplex groupset and TA crankset.
I found it 4 years ago in my local recyclery. After a complete overhaul and cleaning here it is.
I only changed the crankset and the shifters, added NOS Weinnman brake levers.
Brakes are Mafac Raid, 6 speed freewheel, dynapower sanyo, Philippe Randonneur bar, TA front rack...

Last edited by George Abitbol; 08-24-23 at 03:05 PM.
George Abitbol is offline  
Old 08-24-23, 07:11 PM
  #3736  
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 837

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Was that chrome under the paint, or did you supply it? The bike looks spectacular.

I had the entire frame chromed before i painted it. Since The lugs had Clovers ,I figured it would be cool to have them stand out a bit in chrome.
Manny66 is offline  
Likes For Manny66:
Old 08-26-23, 07:20 PM
  #3737  
Junior Member
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 136

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts

1970 PX-10, finished earlier this year

1978 PX-10 on the day I bought it, I am about halfway through this build now

1978 UE8--in the queue for restoration
sfazio is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 03:40 AM
  #3738  
Full Member
 
VintageSteelEU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: London
Posts: 488

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by sfazio

1970 PX-10, finished earlier this year

1978 PX-10 on the day I bought it, I am about halfway through this build now

1978 UE8--in the queue for restoration
That's what I'm planning to do with Motobecane. Have three: blue, white and red (well bleu regate, cream / pearl and red metallic). I still haven't figured out how to store them with my limited amount of space though Funny thing is that when I was getting into vintage and classic bicycles, I was looking for a Peugeot. Ended up with a Motobecane and still very happy with it
Nice collection!
VintageSteelEU is offline  
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 08-27-23, 06:39 AM
  #3739  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 457 Posts
Thanks to our colleague, @juvela, I was able to identify a vintage French bag for my handlebars. Does anyone know whether-or-not Lafuma made a matching saddle-bag?
__________________
1989Pre is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 06:58 AM
  #3740  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,182
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Thanks to our colleague, @juvela, I was able to identify a vintage French bag for my handlebars. Does anyone know whether-or-not Lafuma made a matching saddle-bag?
-----

yes, i would think so but have no hard information

you could check french ebay and the lafuma web site

as recalled, panniers are offered as well

your handlebar example, made of nylon fabric, is later than the lafuma products with which am familiar

me "mind" always pictures their cotton canvas models of an "earlier age"


-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-27-23, 07:19 AM
  #3741  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

yes, i would think so but have no hard information

you could check french ebay and the lafuma web site

as recalled, panniers are offered as well

your handlebar example, made of nylon fabric, is later than the lafuma products with which am familiar

me "mind" always pictures their cotton canvas models of an "earlier age"


-----
Yes, it seems Lafuma has a long history. I did get a look at some of their earlier, more-substantial sachels. Happened-upon the asian Zimbale bags, as-well. I talked to Lafuma, but they could offer no advice to me. I'll keep my eye peeled for a matching saddle-bag. I see this model came in a red, too. It really holds quite a bit of kit.
__________________
1989Pre is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 07:24 AM
  #3742  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,182
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Yes, it seems Lafuma has a long history. I did get a look at some of their earlier, more-substantial sachels. Happened-upon the asian Zimbale bags, as-well. I talked to Lafuma, but they could offer no advice to me. I'll keep my eye peeled for a matching saddle-bag. I see this model came in a red, too. It really holds quite a bit of kit.
-----

do not know about modern times but in the past Lafuma was a contractor to the French army, supplying back packs, duffels and an assortment of storage bags

some of these items come up on ebay.fr from time to time

-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-27-23, 09:13 AM
  #3743  
Junior Member
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 136

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
That's what I'm planning to do with Motobecane. Have three: blue, white and red (well bleu regate, cream / pearl and red metallic). I still haven't figured out how to store them with my limited amount of space though Funny thing is that when I was getting into vintage and classic bicycles, I was looking for a Peugeot. Ended up with a Motobecane and still very happy with it
Nice collection!
Thanks--I am loving the red, white and blue as well--once I am done with them they will all be displayed together. I love London and have spent a good amount of time there--I can see how space might be a problem . I was tripping all over my bikes until I started using these wall hangers--the bikes look great on the wall, are easy to access and most importantly are out of your way.

sfazio is offline  
Old 11-08-23, 09:15 AM
  #3744  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21

Bikes: 1993 Trek 5500, 1983 Peugeot PSV-10, 1984 Torpado Super Strada, 1994 Giant ATX 890, 2015 Scott Scale 740, 1982 Peugeot PH10S, 2023 Bombtrack Hook Ext

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 5 Posts
Peugeot PSV10

Bought mine new, love the ride, will never part with it
coldroadsteel is offline  
Likes For coldroadsteel:
Old 11-08-23, 09:36 AM
  #3745  
Full Member
 
BertoBerg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 451

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '08 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by coldroadsteel
Bought mine new, love the ride, will never part with it
Looks like a great ride! Love the DA rear derailleur, too. How do you like the Vitus 980 tubing?
BertoBerg is offline  
Old 11-10-23, 11:02 AM
  #3746  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,279
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 2,770 Times in 1,954 Posts
1972 Bertin C-37

Much the same as my first road bike 51 years ago.
saddle correct appearance, an idealé 90 in same now is not reasonable in cost.
originally came with Campagnolo bar end controls, felt vague. Went to downtube type.
this has clinchers, original were Super Champion professionals.

this bike was a Craigslist rescue.
butterfly bars and a mattress saddle.

original was 3ttt bar and stem.



repechage is offline  
Old 11-11-23, 05:33 AM
  #3747  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Much the same as my first road bike 51 years ago.
saddle correct appearance, an idealé 90 in same now is not reasonable in cost.
originally came with Campagnolo bar end controls, felt vague. Went to downtube type.
this has clinchers, original were Super Champion professionals.

this bike was a Craigslist rescue.
butterfly bars and a mattress saddle.

original was 3ttt bar and stem.
Did you just acquire this? That is a breath-taking bike!
__________________
1989Pre is offline  
Old 11-11-23, 08:33 AM
  #3748  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,279
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 2,770 Times in 1,954 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Did you just acquire this? That is a breath-taking bike!
thank you, a few years ago, it was in a very confused state. 27” Superchamp Gentleman rims, spokes too short… akimbo jointed adjustable stem, Sting-Ray type bars, thumb shifters, sprung vinyl mattress saddle.
‘Campagnolo brakes and SL pedals stuffed halfway into the French thread cranks, no clips. 20mm tires.

I serviced it pretty quickly the missing element were the half hoods. A red pair purchased here and just fitted made the bike basically photo ready.

I went with Ambrosio Elite 19 rims, sent gratis to protect a nice pair of tubular rims I bought. Fresher set of tires awaits. Not looking forward to mount them.

very close to what I had in 1972. This bike uses a 26.6 seatpost, my original 59cm used a 26.4. Bike rides pretty well, better than I recall. Passes the downhill hands off the bars stability test.

this bike has received the most attention form “normal folk” while out riding. It is I think a personification of an era.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-11-23, 11:02 AM
  #3749  
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts

camjr is offline  
Likes For camjr:
Old 11-11-23, 12:12 PM
  #3750  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
thank you, a few years ago, it was in a very confused state. 27” Superchamp Gentleman rims, spokes too short… akimbo jointed adjustable stem, Sting-Ray type bars, thumb shifters, sprung vinyl mattress saddle.
‘Campagnolo brakes and SL pedals stuffed halfway into the French thread cranks, no clips. 20mm tires.
You did an honorable job. Is the paint and overall finish as good as it looks? I wanted to ask you about your new rims. Why are you going from the Gentlemans to the Elite 19's? Are they stiffer or lighter?
__________________
1989Pre is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.