Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-10, 10:16 AM   #1
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me pick a 700c rim for my Super Course...

Hey Guys... I have decided to go 700c on the '68 Super Course. I would like to get some opinions/experiences on the following rims. FWIW, I plan on running 32-35mm tires...probably Vittoria Randonneur Hyper or maybe Schwalbe Marathon Supreme...or...???

Sun CR-18 (I have these on my Huffy Sporstman but have very few miles on the so far)
Mavic Open Sport
Velocity Aero (maybe too modern looking?)
VO Rims (Diagonale or PBP...either slightly wider or slightly narrower than the other rims listed)


???

TIA
Mark in St. Louis
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 10:26 AM   #2
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 17,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
I'd go with the Suns.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 10:46 AM   #3
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey GB... What tires/size are you running on the Carlton?

TA
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
I'd go with the Suns.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 11:02 AM   #4
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 17,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Hey GB... What tires/size are you running on the Carlton?

TA
-Mark
I have 700X28s on the Carlton, but I've had 700X38s on those rims. They're strong, they look good, they aren't too heavy and the price is right.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 11:43 AM   #5
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you feel a Super Course will run with 32s or 35s...given we're talking about around town/commuting type stuff?

TA
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
I have 700X28s on the Carlton, but I've had 700X38s on those rims. They're strong, they look good, they aren't too heavy and the price is right.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:26 PM   #6
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 17,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Somebody else will have to tell you about big tires. I run 28s on almost everything because it seems to be the perfect size for me. I have a pair of 38s, but I've never ridden them. The frame I have that they will fit is waiting for warmer weather to get painted. I tried them on the Suns and and they looked good. I have them on some skinny CXP-22s and they look fine on those, too. Bike rims will take a wide range of tire sizes. Just look at the monsters they put on MTB rims.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 07:42 PM   #7
RobbieTunes
Idiot Pro Tempo
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Bikes: at Pedal Room
Posts: 21,498
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
I have a set of Matrix ISO tubulars that would be perfect.
RobbieTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 07:52 PM   #8
Amani576
Buh'wah?!
 
Amani576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bight purple non-machined deep-v's DUH!

-Gene-
Amani576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:01 PM   #9
sailorbenjamin 
26 tpi nut.
 
sailorbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
Bikes: one of each
Posts: 5,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been running 27"x32 Panaracers on mine and they're great, no problems with potholes but I can still feel the road. I just swapped them for 700x28 and it's hard to tell the difference. Of course, I only got one ride in before the blizzard.
__________________
I have spoken.
sailorbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:10 PM   #10
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs
Posts: 15,277
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
I have a set of wheels I built up with Sun CR-18's and Grand Bois 26mm tires. It's a magic carpet ride, and they're remarkably fast (I have only been outcoasted on downhills by tandems). The tires are wide enough to handle decently paved dirt with no issues. If you're going into a battlezone, you might want 28's or 32's. You'll have plenty of clearance for everything up to at least 35's on the SuperCourse.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:32 PM   #11
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear you... I just recently mounted Schwalbe Fat Franks on stock '91 Rockhopper wheels...no problems...look great.

I guess the real question is...Leave well enough alone at 32mm (1 1/4 as it were) or try the 35s. Speed is not a huge issue, but I don't need to purposely slow myself down I suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
Somebody else will have to tell you about big tires. I run 28s on almost everything because it seems to be the perfect size for me. I have a pair of 38s, but I've never ridden them. The frame I have that they will fit is waiting for warmer weather to get painted. I tried them on the Suns and and they looked good. I have them on some skinny CXP-22s and they look fine on those, too. Bike rims will take a wide range of tire sizes. Just look at the monsters they put on MTB rims.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:33 PM   #12
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure they would look lovely...but...I don't see myself messing with tubulars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I have a set of Matrix ISO tubulars that would be perfect.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:34 PM   #13
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How did you know what I ended up ordering...I better keep an eye on my cc account. Hmm.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani576 View Post
Bight purple non-machined deep-v's DUH!

-Gene-
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:35 PM   #14
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the ride seems just as "fast"...no real difference in rolling resistance/etc...???

TIA
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
I've been running 27"x32 Panaracers on mine and they're great, no problems with potholes but I can still feel the road. I just swapped them for 700x28 and it's hard to tell the difference. Of course, I only got one ride in before the blizzard.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:37 PM   #15
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey...I don't know about a battlezone (depends on the neighborhood ) but the streets of St. Louis are not the best maintained in the world...my riding is completely urban excluding park paths/etc. FWIW.

I should probably leave well enough alone and use 32s.

TA
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
I have a set of wheels I built up with Sun CR-18's and Grand Bois 26mm tires. It's a magic carpet ride, and they're remarkably fast (I have only been outcoasted on downhills by tandems). The tires are wide enough to handle decently paved dirt with no issues. If you're going into a battlezone, you might want 28's or 32's. You'll have plenty of clearance for everything up to at least 35's on the SuperCourse.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 09:10 AM   #16
RobbieTunes
Idiot Pro Tempo
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Bikes: at Pedal Room
Posts: 21,498
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Forget the danger.
Think of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
I'm sure they would look lovely...but...I don't see myself messing with tubulars!
RobbieTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 02:29 PM   #17
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 17,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
The 28c tubulars on my Peugeot ride nice! I've never had a flat, but I always carry Tufo sealant and a tool to open up the valve.

Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION