Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-17-22, 10:21 AM
  #25926  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Handle dilemma.

My name is Keith and my nickname was the Keithster but having read almost all 1038 pages of this most excellent forum l realised, there already are a Keith and Gster whose treadmarks are long and deep here, in recognition of their sage wisdom and knowledge of all things 3 speed and in order to maintain clarity l will heretofore refer to myself as Tyres.
Tyres is offline  
Old 04-17-22, 11:09 AM
  #25927  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyres
My name is Keith and my nickname was the Keithster but having read almost all 1038 pages of this most excellent forum l realised, there already are a Keith and Gster whose treadmarks are long and deep here, in recognition of their sage wisdom and knowledge of all things 3 speed and in order to maintain clarity l will heretofore refer to myself as Tyres.
Welcome. Post a pick of your 40's Gliders. I had a huge double tube model with a big brass headbadge but I couldn't safely mount the thing. Just too big!
clubman is offline  
Old 04-17-22, 11:18 AM
  #25928  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Happy easter!

HAPPY EASTER! Dreamed l got 2 eggs for EASTER, one larger than the other. In the big one was a 51 AW hub, in the small one was a brass faced SA shifter. I was so happy l jumped out of bed and stepped in dog puke in my bare feet. I was really disappointed when , l realised there was no hub or shifter.
the dog Toby a chocolate lab newfie was not harmed in this dream.haha
Tyres is offline  
Likes For Tyres:
Old 04-17-22, 11:56 AM
  #25929  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Handlebar baskets.

Some like baskets on their handlebars tho it's not for me. I believe VV back in the 300's had an issue with the Raleigh light bracket pushing the basket out too far in front then, somebody in the 500's suggesting to just turn it to the side but I'm suggesting flipping it upside down. I think this would support basket far enough off the steering tube near the bottom of the basket while still keeping it far enough forward to not impair the swoop of the cables. However not having disassembled many Raleigh steering assemblies l couldn't say with any certainty if this is possible feasible practicable or whatever, l just thought it might help. Post #6
Tyres is offline  
Likes For Tyres:
Old 04-17-22, 12:41 PM
  #25930  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
2 old Raleigh collectors in a bar.

2 old Raleigh collectors are talking over a pint at the bar. The first one asks " You know how your wife's eyes glaze over and roll back into her head when you're talking about finding a good in true non rusty. Westwood to finish the 40's project you're working on. Or you complain about the impossibility of finding an intact matching pair of pre war bar grips? " Then the second old Raleigh collector looks at the first and asks. "You've still got a wife?" Haha
Tyres is offline  
Likes For Tyres:
Old 04-17-22, 01:01 PM
  #25931  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyres
2 old Raleigh collectors are talking over a pint at the bar. The first one asks " You know how your wife's eyes glaze over and roll back into her head when you're talking about finding a good in true non rusty. Westwood to finish the 40's project you're working on. Or you complain about the impossibility of finding an intact matching pair of pre war bar grips? " Then the second old Raleigh collector looks at the first and asks. "You've still got a wife?" Haha
Two more posts and we can reveal the secret handshake to you.....
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 04-17-22, 11:59 PM
  #25932  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts







My new swaggin whip 😎
I recently purchased my first English 3 speed off of craigslist. It's a Dawes from the 60's or 70's. I plan on adding a rear rack & turning it into my daily/grocery getter

$280 USD & the attention I've gotten from girls is worth that price alone 😂🤷🏼‍♂️ (people reeeaalllly underestimate the power of the vintage 3 speed)

On a similar note, the amount of conversations I've had with complete strangers over a simple bicycle that I've owned for a few days is exactly the kind of thing that puts a big stupid smile on my face

Wheels seem original & oddly enough are 26 inches despite being quite a large frame. (I suppose in the 60cm range) Almost everything is original supposedly apart from the tires, seat, & grips

All said, I'd love to know a bit more about the bike. I can't seem to find a specific model on it. There doesn't seem to be a similar model for sale here in the US that I can find. I'd love to know a bit more if there'd be anyone of expertise in the matter. Thanks & stay swaggin 😎 y'all are awesome
Calio is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 06:05 AM
  #25933  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
GIANT Gliders

Originally Posted by clubman
Welcome. Post a pick of your 40's Gliders. I had a huge double tube model with a big brass headbadge but I couldn't safely mount the thing. Just too big!
hi Young man, you're right they're both 28 " wheels with big old painted Westwoods but I'm 6' with long monkey like arms and manage fine. They have those huge brass headbadge .Next is a 50's red original paint 3 speed sturmey A. W . 53 l think came with a smaller glider brass headbadge have a cute blue step thru 60's coaster glider for my wife, it has a smaller brass headbadge too.
I'll post some head badge shots when I've past ten posts
Tyres is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 12:30 PM
  #25934  
Tyres
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28

Bikes: 39 D. P. Harris gold medal. 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike. 2 40's men's Gliders w Perry coaster hubs. 51 Rudge sports 3 spd. Etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
EATONS VS SIMPSON'S the Macy's and Gimbels of Toronto

Originally Posted by Speedway2
That catalogue (1955) was a bit before my time but Eaton's downtown Toronto brought lots of joy growing up. Especially around X-Mas time with their window displays competing against Sears(next door).
A chunk of history gone.....but I digress.
A trip downtown to look at .the Christmas window displays on the streetcar was considered a good school field trip for the younger grades. On one such trip l missed the transfer from the Queen to King streetcar at Broadview on the way home and ended up far in the Beaches 7or 8 no money miles from home 5 or 6 inches of snow. I arrived home hours later exhausted and rosy checked to crying parents and honest to God policemen drinking tea at the kitchen table. BEST day of my life, less so for parents and teacher who lost me.
Tyres is offline  
Likes For Tyres:
Old 04-18-22, 07:12 PM
  #25935  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Very nice bike. The shifter is from early to mid 70's
There should also be a date code on the Sturmey Archer rear hub..
Please post some pictures of the rear hub...
Looks like it is in very nice condition..
Here is a useful link to dating Sturmey Archer shifters

https://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/han...satriggers.pdf
I'd always assumed that Dawes only made drop bar racing bikes.....
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 04-18-22, 07:49 PM
  #25936  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,434

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 3,292 Times in 1,999 Posts
Originally Posted by Calio
On a similar note, the amount of conversations I've had with complete strangers over a simple bicycle that I've owned for a few days is exactly the kind of thing that puts a big stupid smile on my face
I own a few bikes and my 1968 Raleigh Sprite is the only one that NEVER fails to have someone come up and talk to me about.
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-18-22, 07:59 PM
  #25937  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyres
On one such trip l missed the transfer from the Queen to King streetcar at Broadview on the way home and ended up far in the Beaches 7or 8 no money miles from home 5 or 6 inches of snow.
All's well that ends well. If you got off for the transfer, you may have ended up in Jilly's and lost your virginity or worse! The Beach was my stomping ground for a few decades.
Just to make this a little on-topic, around 1990, I was riding a 3-speed home from work about 2 am on the backstreets and cut across beside a small parking lot behind Jilly's. The lot looked dark and empty but I spotted something odd and rode up to the fence.
I was petrified, awestruck and afterwards, terribly sad. A measly 10 foot frost fence separated me from a full grown tiger, alone at night, in the city. Yes apparently it belonged to a stripper.

Here's the bike...a 1940's Hercules with 26" wheels and rod brakes. That bike, the ride and the tiger are burned into my memory.

clubman is offline  
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-18-22, 10:27 PM
  #25938  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Very nice bike. The shifter is from early to mid 70's
There should also be a date code on the Sturmey Archer rear hub..
Please post some pictures of the rear hub...
Looks like it is in very nice condition..
Here is a useful link to dating Sturmey Archer shifters

https://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/han...satriggers.pdf
Thanks for the compliments & help 👍 I'm always impressed with the knowledge & expertise available here 😎

Here are the photos of the rear hub (which I hope render the text somewhat legible)

​​​​​​
Calio is offline  
Likes For Calio:
Old 04-18-22, 10:34 PM
  #25939  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
I'd always assumed that Dawes only made drop bar racing bikes.....
I myself am quite perplexed. I've scoured resources both here in the US & obviously in the UK as well. I am yet to encounter what this bike is

That said it seems Dawes has a large gap in the catalogs available on their site which would span the time this bike would have been produced
The bike of mystery bewilders lol 🤷🏼‍♂️
Calio is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 10:42 PM
  #25940  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Thanks for the hub pictures... The hub is a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed from 1960.
Very interesting indeed. This bike might be a bit older than I initially anticipated 🤔
Calio is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 10:46 PM
  #25941  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
I have been searching the www for this bike since you posted it here. I haven't found anything of help either. Hub from the 60's Shifters from the 70's..
We are narrowing it down.. LOL
Definitely a strange one. I have half a mind to wonder if it isn't a frankenbike lol
Calio is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 10:56 PM
  #25942  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I own a few bikes and my 1968 Raleigh Sprite is the only one that NEVER fails to have someone come up and talk to me about.
​​​​​​
Before I forget to reply

1. The grateful dead is one of the greatest bands of all time

2. A Raleigh Sprite always merit conversation. 👍 I'd love to pick one up at some point
Calio is offline  
Old 04-18-22, 11:12 PM
  #25943  
Newbier than Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Anything is possible... I am very interested in this bike and will keep looking online for anything and if I find something I will let you know...
Whatever this bike is... I like it!!
You know, every time someone asks about my bike I'll say it's "an extremely rare vintage English bike of mystery, possibly the only one in the world"

Might be true
Calio is offline  
Likes For Calio:
Old 04-19-22, 07:36 AM
  #25944  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
All's well that ends well. If you got off for the transfer, you may have ended up in Jilly's and lost your virginity or worse! The Beach was my stomping ground for a few decades.
Just to make this a little on-topic, around 1990, I was riding a 3-speed home from work about 2 am on the backstreets and cut across beside a small parking lot behind Jilly's. The lot looked dark and empty but I spotted something odd and rode up to the fence.
I was petrified, awestruck and afterwards, terribly sad. A measly 10 foot frost fence separated me from a full grown tiger, alone at night, in the city. Yes apparently it belonged to a stripper.

Here's the bike...a 1940's Hercules with 26" wheels and rod brakes. That bike, the ride and the tiger are burned into my memory.

Sorry to sat but Jilly's is gone, along with Dangerous Dan's Burgers across the street,
The gentrification (borification) of Toronto coninues unchecked. The East End still has a rough edge and Parkdale does as well
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 04-19-22, 07:45 AM
  #25945  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: RI
Posts: 341

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Calio
​​​​​​
Before I forget to reply

1. The grateful dead is one of the greatest bands of all time

2. A Raleigh Sprite always merit conversation. 👍 I'd love to pick one up at some point
My '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports is essentially a Raleigh Sprite 10 speed. Very handsome in gold and white, it has some issues I'm trying to overcome. But if I can, I would expect it to be quite a curiosity.
swampyankee2 is offline  
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 04-19-22, 07:45 AM
  #25946  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Calio
You know, every time someone asks about my bike I'll say it's "an extremely rare vintage English bike of mystery, possibly the only one in the world"

Might be true
As mentioned above, it may in fact be a "Bitsa" .
I.e. a Dawes 10 speed frame with 3 speed components/upright bars added at some point.
I have a Raleigh/Glider that was originally a 5-speed that's been converted to a SA 3 speed.

Raleigh/Glider Bitsa on the left. Robin Hood on the right.
Both very similar and yet different to ride.
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 04-19-22, 07:48 AM
  #25947  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
My '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports is essentially a Raleigh Sprite 10 speed. Very handsome in gold and white, it has some issues I'm trying to overcome. But if I can, I would expect it to be quite a curiosity.
The forks appear to be slightly pushed in....
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 04-19-22, 07:59 AM
  #25948  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: RI
Posts: 341

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
The forks appear to be slightly pushed in....
That is one of the aforementioned issues I'm working on....
swampyankee2 is offline  
Old 04-19-22, 08:26 AM
  #25949  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
That is one of the aforementioned issues I'm working on....
Old school bike shops used to have a rig/jig that they used to fix bent forks but I haven't seen one for a while.
It looks to be a slight deflection .
I've had success with the 2x4 method.

gster is offline  
Old 04-19-22, 08:53 AM
  #25950  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: RI
Posts: 341

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Old school bike shops used to have a rig/jig that they used to fix bent forks but I haven't seen one for a while.
It looks to be a slight deflection .
I've had success with the 2x4 method.
I used a jack backed up against the BB. Seemed to work well, but I did have to pull the fork and straighten the steering stem in a press which seemed to work. There is an issue with the freewheel so I'm upgrading to a set of alloy rims. The acid test will be to see whether it tracks straight going down the road. If not, Hopefully it works out. If not, I don't know what else I can do to fix it, although it would be a shame to just scrap it.
swampyankee2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.