Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-07-12, 01:57 PM
  #3076  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boone NC USA
Posts: 622

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
Ironically? the Northroad style handlebar was actually a drop bar originally, that became so popular flipped upside down that we now think of it as an upright bar.
I have never heard that before. My info was that it was designed from the get go to be used either way. Back in the 1930's depression folks could not afford two bicycles, so used the same one to commute to work durning the week and as a club racer on weekends. Simply flip the handlebar, raise the seat a bit, remove the chaincase, and maybe swap the rear sprocket and you were ready to go racing on Saturday. That really was what the British Sports vehicles were all about, bicycle, mortorcycle, or motorcar. The old books that I read as a kid mentioned that they used the new chain for racing, and when the old chain worn beyond good use the racing chaing went into service as the daily ride chain and a new chain was bought for racing. Over on this side of the pond jalopies were so cheap that adults did not ride bicycles for transportation, so those options never became available for bicycles, but a lot of those jalopies were converted into hot rods for racing on the weekends.
graywolf is offline  
Old 04-07-12, 05:23 PM
  #3077  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,619
Liked 205 Times in 137 Posts
Hadland says, in new Raleigh book, that the Northroad was originally used in the drop position.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 04-07-12, 07:01 PM
  #3078  
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,655

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
From today's Tweed Ride in Iowa City, hopefully to become an annual event. The weather was perfect, which is to say cool, overcast, even drizzly at times.



I didn't get a lot of pictures, but I spotted a Dunelt, some Raleigh Twenty's, and one couple rode a matching pair of gent's/lady's Humbers. There was also a mustache contest and prizes for the best-dressed gent and lass.

- Scott
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-07-12 at 07:30 PM. Reason: My spelling of "Dunelt" was off.
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 05:12 AM
  #3079  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
From today's Tweed Ride in Iowa City, hopefully to become an annual event. The weather was perfect, which is to say cool, overcast, even drizzly at times.



I didn't get a lot of pictures, but I spotted a Dunelt, some Raleigh Twenty's, and one couple rode a matching pair of gent's/lady's Humbers. There was also a mustache contest and prizes for the best-dressed gent and lass.

- Scott
I know where that phone booth is...

Aaron

__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 07:05 PM
  #3080  
porc, pātisserie & piment
 
yellowbarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Īle de France
Posts: 222

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
here's a result from my rather compulsive eBay scouring (note to self: ride more, geek-out on eBay less)
anyways here ya go
this good person must be dreaming, $800 for a Raleigh Twenty?
posting it here in lieu of sending them an inappropriate message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1969...item43aed5ce60

"The seat alone is worth over $150.00!"
hahahahahahaha!
yellowbarber is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 09:50 PM
  #3081  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Armenia, Colombia
Posts: 295

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 800 USD, it better be in impeccable NIB condition and gold plated to boot.
jrecoi is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 10:40 PM
  #3082  
Junior Member
 
Mike from Iowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Likes: 0
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
... and one couple rode a matching pair of gent's/lady's Humbers. ...

- Scott[/QUOTE]

That would have been my wife and I. Here's my Humber, it's Raleigh made, 1972. Lisa's is the women's model:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4941954873_a705a732a3_m.jpg (35.1 KB, 159 views)
Mike from Iowa is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 10:47 PM
  #3083  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowbarber
here's a result from my rather compulsive eBay scouring (note to self: ride more, geek-out on eBay less)
anyways here ya go
this good person must be dreaming, $800 for a Raleigh Twenty?
posting it here in lieu of sending them an inappropriate message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1969...item43aed5ce60

"The seat alone is worth over $150.00!"
hahahahahahaha!
I would just send a nice note telling them that a Raleigh Twenty is not worth $800.00...
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 04:20 AM
  #3084  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I would just send a nice note telling them that a Raleigh Twenty is not worth $800.00...
I don't even bother with those anymore. There was a Raleigh Compact RSW on there a while back with a $1600 price tag, yes $1600! It did not sell after 3 attempts, haven't seen it listed again. People that grossly over price things on ebay soon learn that they will be keeping it for a while. I have been watching a few dyno hubs that keep being relisted time and time again for the same inflated price. One is NOS/NIB and they want $400 for it. It has been listed and relisted at least 4 times that I can recall. He still has it too and no $400.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 01:20 PM
  #3085  
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,655

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa
... and one couple rode a matching pair of gent's/lady's Humbers. ...

- Scott
That would have been my wife and I. Here's my Humber, it's Raleigh made, 1972. Lisa's is the women's model:

Fantastic -- it was great meeting you two! Now my interest in doing the Lake Pepin Tour has been rekindled. Any idea if it's sold out yet?

And wahoonc/Aaron, were you on the trip as well, or was that pic from a different occasion?

You meet the coolest people doing bike stuff...
- Scott
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:08 PM
  #3086  
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 4,955

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Fantastic -- it was great meeting you two! Now my interest in doing the Lake Pepin Tour has been rekindled. Any idea if it's sold out yet?

And wahoonc/Aaron, were you on the trip as well, or was that pic from a different occasion?

You meet the coolest people doing bike stuff...
- Scott
I'm going to be at Lake Pepin... Give Jon Sharratt a shout and he'll be able to tell you if there are any spots open on the tour. I have almost decided which bike I want to take. The choices are down to two unless something else shows up that seems more interesting in the meanwhile.
photogravity is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:23 PM
  #3087  
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,655

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
I'm going to be at Lake Pepin... Give Jon Sharratt a shout and he'll be able to tell you if there are any spots open on the tour. I have almost decided which bike I want to take. The choices are down to two unless something else shows up that seems more interesting in the meanwhile.
Wow, I was only able to snag a spot due to a cancellation. Choosing the right bike is a little easier for me , but I need to work on my outfit a little.

- Scott
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 03:25 PM
  #3088  
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 4,955

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That's great news that you were able to get signed up for the tour! As far as the choice, I have a good number of bikes to choose from and, since I'm guessing a large majority of the bikes will be Raleigh built, I'd prefer to bring something that isn't common. I just finished counting and I have eight 3- or 4-speed bicycles that WERE NOT built by Raleigh and another eight 3- or 4-speed bicycles that WERE built by Raleigh. In any case, I've got choices which is supposed to be a good thing.

As far as the outfit, it is a "Lycra-Free Event" and I'll not be wearing any, but I'll likely be wearing jeans and a pullover shirt. I don't have any riding gear like that which some will be wearing. Anyway, I guess I'll see you at the tour, eh?
photogravity is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 03:34 PM
  #3089  
gna
Count Orlok Member
 
gna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,835

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Liked 193 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Wow, I was only able to snag a spot due to a cancellation. Choosing the right bike is a little easier for me , but I need to work on my outfit a little.

- Scott
It's not a tweed ride. You can Tweed up if you wish, but it's not required. It's more about the bikes and the style of touring. Wear what you want, just no lycra.
gna is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 04:03 PM
  #3090  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

And wahoonc/Aaron, were you on the trip as well, or was that pic from a different occasion?

You meet the coolest people doing bike stuff...
- Scott
About 2-3 years ago. I was working at U of I on a construction project at Burge Hall. I was "living" at the Heartland Inn for about 4 months Haven't been back since October of 2011, but hope to make another trip out soon.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 04:14 PM
  #3091  
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,655

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
That's great news that you were able to get signed up for the tour! As far as the choice, I have a good number of bikes to choose from and, since I'm guessing a large majority of the bikes will be Raleigh built, I'd prefer to bring something that isn't common. I just finished counting and I have eight 3- or 4-speed bicycles that WERE NOT built by Raleigh and another eight 3- or 4-speed bicycles that WERE built by Raleigh. In any case, I've got choices which is supposed to be a good thing.
Nice!

Originally Posted by photogravity
As far as the outfit, it is a "Lycra-Free Event" and I'll not be wearing any, but I'll likely be wearing jeans and a pullover shirt. I don't have any riding gear like that which some will be wearing. Anyway, I guess I'll see you at the tour, eh?
Originally Posted by gna
It's not a tweed ride. You can Tweed up if you wish, but it's not required. It's more about the bikes and the style of touring. Wear what you want, just no lycra.
Ah, that works! After looking at some pictures of past tours, it appears that only some of the participants go all-out on replicating the old clothing.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 04:15 PM
  #3092  
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,655

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
About 2-3 years ago. I was working at U of I on a construction project at Burge Hall. I was "living" at the Heartland Inn for about 4 months Haven't been back since October of 2011, but hope to make another trip out soon.

Aaron
Coolness. Give me a holler next time you're in the area.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 03:10 PM
  #3093  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Armenia, Colombia
Posts: 295

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I walked into a bike shop, looking for cream tires for my indian roadster. It wasn't a very serious search, I sincerely doubted I could find anything of the sort, but it passed the time until the trip back to Colombia. I didn't find any such tires, however I did find something else.

Hidden in the back I saw the familiar curves of North Road handlebars. Peaked, I took a closer look, and found that it was a rather old Raleigh, one that still had a pulley for its Sturmey Archer. Intrigued I followed the enameled cable down to the chainstays where I snapped at the sight of something. A chaincase boss.

Bingo

Trying not to look too excited I asked the shop owner if that bike was for sale. He replied that he had been trying to get rid of it for two years, ever since the original owner sold it to him. Now certain that I've found something special and that it was available, I handed the shop owner what money I had in my pockets and rushed out to complete the sum. One hundred twenty dollars with tax, and I left the shop grinning and the bike ticking.

Here is my 1961 Raleigh Sports.


Serial number and the name tag the original owner left.


It has been upgraded with new inner tubes and a 22t cog and a longer chain. It needs new tires, and I'll add a chaincase at a later date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0082.jpg (86.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0079.jpg (94.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0080.jpg (85.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0081.jpg (98.0 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by jrecoi; 04-12-12 at 03:15 PM.
jrecoi is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 03:33 PM
  #3094  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Likes: 0
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Nice going jrecoi ! You snagged an extra-cool one with that black & white two tone. - And the chaincase boss to boot!

__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 03:50 PM
  #3095  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Armenia, Colombia
Posts: 295

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some additional photos:



I have a slight problem. See, the rear tire has torn at the bead, and the nearest city that I know for certain that has 26 x 1 3/8 tires is a 10 hour bus ride away. This means that until I figure out if the cities closer to me have the tires, I'll be booting the originals.



I'm thinking of gluing on a scrap of cloth to the inside of the tire, and sewing it tight against the bead as well as the tire. Will this work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0089.jpg (101.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0084.jpg (94.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0083.jpg (96.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0087.jpg (96.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0088.jpg (104.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0086.jpg (97.9 KB, 120 views)
jrecoi is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 04:23 PM
  #3096  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Likes: 0
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jrecoi
...

I have a slight problem. See, the rear tire has torn at the bead, and the nearest city that I know for certain that has 26 x 1 3/8 tires is a 10 hour bus ride away. This means that until I figure out if the cities closer to me have the tires, I'll be booting the originals.



I'm thinking of gluing on a scrap of cloth to the inside of the tire, and sewing it tight against the bead as well as the tire. Will this work?

I'll say you have a slight problem: No one is permitted to kill themselves here on Bikeforums. Didn't you read the fine print?

DON'T even THINK about riding those tires!

Check the internet man - There's got to be a place that ships to Columbia.

__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 04:30 PM
  #3097  
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,401

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Michelin World Tour and have bought 4 so far. I recently put them on my '54 Sports. It's a nice-looking tire and even has the reflective sidewall.

I"m not sure if Niagara will ship to Colombia -but it is worth a try. Either through Amazon or directly through Niagara themselves on their own store.
Amesja is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 07:50 PM
  #3098  
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 4,955

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jrecoi
I walked into a bike shop, looking for cream tires for my indian roadster. It wasn't a very serious search, I sincerely doubted I could find anything of the sort, but it passed the time until the trip back to Colombia. I didn't find any such tires, however I did find something else.

Hidden in the back I saw the familiar curves of North Road handlebars. Peaked, I took a closer look, and found that it was a rather old Raleigh, one that still had a pulley for its Sturmey Archer. Intrigued I followed the enameled cable down to the chainstays where I snapped at the sight of something. A chaincase boss.

Bingo

Trying not to look too excited I asked the shop owner if that bike was for sale. He replied that he had been trying to get rid of it for two years, ever since the original owner sold it to him. Now certain that I've found something special and that it was available, I handed the shop owner what money I had in my pockets and rushed out to complete the sum. One hundred twenty dollars with tax, and I left the shop grinning and the bike ticking.

Here is my 1961 Raleigh Sports.

Serial number and the name tag the original owner left.

It has been upgraded with new inner tubes and a 22t cog and a longer chain. It needs new tires, and I'll add a chaincase at a later date.
Nice bike jrecoi. I definitely would not think of riding the bike with those tires as they are. Definitely replace them!

About the chaincase boss: Huh? Can you take a picture of that please? I don't think I know what it is.
photogravity is offline  
Old 04-12-12, 07:53 PM
  #3099  
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 4,955

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
I've been pretty happy with the Michelin World Tour and have bought 4 so far. I recently put them on my '54 Sports. It's a nice-looking tire and even has the reflective sidewall.

I"m not sure if Niagara will ship to Colombia -but it is worth a try. Either through Amazon or directly through Niagara themselves on their own store.
+1 That is one hella bargain for as nice a tire as it is.
photogravity is offline  
Old 04-13-12, 12:39 PM
  #3100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Armenia, Colombia
Posts: 295

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Nice bike jrecoi. I definitely would not think of riding the bike with those tires as they are. Definitely replace them!

About the chaincase boss: Huh? Can you take a picture of that please? I don't think I know what it is.


The chaincase boss is the circular bump behind the chainring.

Here is the same boss on a DL-1 frame that has the crank removed for clarity:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34725412@N05/3858653151/

The idea is that the chaincase bolts directly onto the frame through the boss, and thus doesn't rotate around the chainstay as it would have were it attatched to the frame with a strap. From what I've seen, this boss is pretty standard on bikes that have chaincases, see this dutch bike from the 90s that has a similar boss to attatch its chaincase:



Does anyone know what bolt threads onto this? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is probably Witworth threaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0087.jpg (96.5 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by jrecoi; 04-13-12 at 12:46 PM.
jrecoi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.