Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 01-25-15, 11:46 PM
  #6026  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Yes...I'm finding that the powdercoat doesn't photograph very well. It really does look nicer than that.
it was painted , not powercoated .. . why powedercoat ? i don't think you will ever achieve that paint look of the metal flake ..its not like you're leaving it in the yard any more .. it looks great . the gold stripe looks good too but ..
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 10:06 AM
  #6027  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelz28
it was painted , not powercoated .. . why powedercoat ? i don't think you will ever achieve that paint look of the metal flake ..its not like you're leaving it in the yard any more .. it looks great . the gold stripe looks good too but ..
Out in the sun, the metallic layer really shows through. Indoors, yes, it appears flat, not sure why.
arex is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 10:28 AM
  #6028  
Junior Member
 
truckface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107

Bikes: 80s touring bikes, mostly.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I posted a handful of photos in another thread, but figured folks hanging out here would be interested in it too.

If you aren't familiar with the story behind these, they were apparently part of a failed attempt to revive the Lambert name in the early 2000s. Bob Jackson-built and Joe Bell-painted, they were intended to be "high-end" three speeds in the traditional English style. A BF member came across a handful of them at a garage sale in TN a few years back. I acquired this frame in the fall and just finished up the build.

truckface is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 09:13 PM
  #6029  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Out in the sun, the metallic layer really shows through. Indoors, yes, it appears flat, not sure why.
are you restoring that bike ? i love to see some progress picts and stuff
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 09:35 PM
  #6030  
Senior Member
 
Peugeotlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 557

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice
Peugeotlover is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 10:42 PM
  #6031  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice
Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.
arex is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 10:44 PM
  #6032  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.
Around 1972 or so.
PatrickZ is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:00 PM
  #6033  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelz28
are you restoring that bike ? i love to see some progress picts and stuff
Not restoring, really...started out with too little of the original bike. I'm building a club racer replica from the bare frame. I've no doubt that purists are recoiling in mute horror from my efforts.

I had mocked it up last winter, but it got sidelined when I found the seat stay brazings were broken. I recently had the damage repaired, along with some other minor modifications, since the paint was getting ruined by the torch anyways. I just got the frame back from the powdercoater last week, and I spent this evening putting the bottom bracket together.

This was from last winter:



Some things will have changed by the time I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2671.jpg (90.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2673.jpg (62.4 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by arex; 01-27-15 at 08:53 AM. Reason: edit
arex is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:10 PM
  #6034  
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,728
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I like it except that crank...too bulky.
Narhay is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:12 PM
  #6035  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
^^ I'm OK with it except for that crank. If it were me and I was not planning to use a chainguard I would put a high end cottered crank on there, but in all likelihood you will pay more for that than the one there now.

I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?
Salubrious is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:31 PM
  #6036  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Yeah, the crank isn't the most awesome choice...but it was cheap, and gives a good chainline. I might change it in the future to something more appropriate-looking. That's not the chainring I'm going to use, either.
arex is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:34 PM
  #6037  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?
How big is the tube?
arex is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 07:35 AM
  #6038  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,091
Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 6,428 Times in 2,549 Posts
Those pulley clamps did come in two sizes. Larger is 1 1/8" I believe.
nlerner is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 10:06 AM
  #6039  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.
Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice
its pre 74 as in 74 the pump was dropped as part of the "sports " package . the raleigh heron was everywhere on these things . the chain ring is a nice touch and is nicer than any schwinn ..just make sure its a 23 inch and not a 21 . the seat post looks a little high . my 23 inch seat is pretty low and its up there and im 6'1"..

Last edited by michaelz28; 01-27-15 at 10:12 AM.
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 10:21 AM
  #6040  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,574

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 505 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7214 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 1,325 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.
It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 10:35 AM
  #6041  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: east coast
Posts: 38

Bikes: 1972 Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?
ironchefchris is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 10:48 AM
  #6042  
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,932
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?

ORIGIN8 Pro Cable Guide Pulley



Origin8 Alloy Cable Stop: 28.6, 31.8, 34.9



-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
O_8_Pulley.jpg (21.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg
O_8_Stop.jpg (21.3 KB, 78 views)
Bandera is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 10:59 AM
  #6043  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Sweet! Thanks!
Salubrious is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 11:21 AM
  #6044  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironchefchris
New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?
get some Picts of the Raleigh . I just recent found one too . Mine is a coffee 74 . Clean off the rear hub and it will have a date on it . Not proof positive, but a start .
Again, I'm pretty new at the Raleigh thing , but I'm learnig .
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 12:59 PM
  #6045  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.
Yeah, you can tell that some of you folks don't live in Portland! A 23-inch Sports frame in good shape with what looks like a Brooks B72 in good shape would probably start at $300 here. $220 is practically a steal! (Though those reflectors have gotta go...)
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 02:13 PM
  #6046  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree that 200 is below going rate ( from what I've seen on line ) . 300 or 350 . I don't know everything about these bikes , but since I've got mine I've been on eBay and Craig's list and the 200 dollar ones have issues. Broken or missing cabels, wrong saddle , etc . And there is this ..23" Vintage Used Once Coffee 1970 Raleigh Sports Papers Accessories Brooks B72 | eBay
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 04:16 PM
  #6047  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,091
Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 6,428 Times in 2,549 Posts
Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.
nlerner is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 06:16 PM
  #6048  
Senior Member
 
Peugeotlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 557

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hey, everybody, thank you for the replies about the Raleigh Sports.
When I was about 12 years old, my folks bought me a Rollfast English 3-speed and I enjoyed that for many years, until I left home.
I think the folks probably spent about $70. for that bike, new (early 1960's?).
The Raleigh Sports looks nearly identical to the Rollfast, thus my interest.

Like nlerner, I was thinking about $150. also, would be fair to both buyer & seller.
But, the economy has shifted, it is difficult to keep up with all the value changes.
I may go to look at the bike, and now I have a better idea as to what to offer.
Thanks Tom, et al.
Peugeotlover is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 09:12 PM
  #6049  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.
what shape and how original was it ? id never let this one go for less than 350
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 09:17 PM
  #6050  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was doing some cleaning and found the serial number
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0265_zpssr81hom7.jpg (78.3 KB, 85 views)
michaelz28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.