Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-16-15, 03:28 PM
  #7126  
Verified Antique
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Plestcher. If you look at a coop bike shop you might find one for only $5-$10.
Second that.

They were OEM on some Raleighs - Sprite 27's come to mind - and it seems from what I've gleaned that they were a popular dealer-installed option. Then again, you might get lucky and find the correct pressed steel rack that came OEM on Superbes in the right color on the big auction site.
PalmettoUpstate is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 04:46 PM
  #7127  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 9,128

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Saw this one parked at the curb today and went back for a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spotted Sports.jpg (98.9 KB, 141 views)
thumpism is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 05:00 PM
  #7128  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Strange Raleigh 3 speed

So, what makes this strange is not that somebody is trying to sell a FUBARSports for $300 (about $250 too much), but the head badge, rims, and brakes on this bike. All original, according to the ad, except seat and grips. Original brushed on orange paint, I guess. Bars don't look typical to me and neither do the brake levers, but that doesn't mean they might not be. Original lack of fenders, lack of chain guard, lack of pump. "good condition". I'd hate to see bad.

Brakes, I have learned through the intertubes, are a very early dual pivot by GB. Either GB Synchrons or the Altenberger copy of them. The head badge, apparently, was used during the 60s and early 70s, but it was new to me and I don't recall seeing it in this thread on any of that era's Sports or Superbes. Probably an AW hub in the rear and a Dynohub in the front (without the original, or any, light). Appears to be 32/40 spokes but the rims aren't the typical Raleigh rims, seem to be narrower, and they don't show to be rusty, which is different from everything else on the bike. I'm not sure that the rims are 590 instead of 597, which were used on some Raleighs way back when.

So, if the brakes and rims are original, it can't be a Sports, can it? Frame looks small to be a 21" Sports but the ad says 54 cm. I doubt that.

If it's not a Sports, what might it be with that head badge, those rims, those brakes?

Or, maybe it's just a mucked up Frankenbike put together from odd parts.

Here's the Craigslist ad:VINTAGE RALEIGH ROAD BIKE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01010_a9pcwUh5TFn_600x450.jpg (41.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg
00O0O_kK9gs8UF5H3_600x450.jpg (42.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg
01313_9x59XNgli9v_600x450.jpg (21.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg
00s0s_9IQjrVVwQzN_600x450.jpg (20.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg
00J0J_bCziRbYGA8p_600x450.jpg (32.3 KB, 143 views)
desconhecido is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 06:09 PM
  #7129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,091
Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 6,428 Times in 2,549 Posts
That is an odd one. It does look a lot like a Sports though I've had a '60s Sprite with the thimble fork crown, so that's a possibility. One of the odder things about that head badge is that it has an extra rivet at the top! It's also the ones found on 60s Raleigh road bikes, so good possibility it's a replacement.
nlerner is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 07:01 PM
  #7130  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Saw this one parked at the curb today and went back for a pic.
poor old girl chained to a pole ...
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 07:09 PM
  #7131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its got the same wheel reflectors as my 74 . after the wheel reflectors were orange and or red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image_zpsqdggvdw0.jpg (101.4 KB, 117 views)
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 07:28 PM
  #7132  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
That is an odd one. It does look a lot like a Sports though I've had a '60s Sprite with the thimble fork crown, so that's a possibility. One of the odder things about that head badge is that it has an extra rivet at the top! It's also the ones found on 60s Raleigh road bikes, so good possibility it's a replacement.
I thought about the badge not being original to the bike, but it appears that the rivets are not the typical blind rivets that you'd see if someone with a paint brush full of orange paint were installing a head badge. What I mean is that it appears to have been attached with proper rivets.

Looked around a little more to see about those badges and the pictures that turn up all show it to be a three rivet badge. Interesting is this photo which was posted by Pastor Bob in NH back in 2012:


That head lug appears to be identical to the one on the orange. Don't know what that means. Bob's photo was of a 68 Raleigh Record and appears in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...gh-rapide.html

So, I don't know. I've heard that the Record and Sprite shared a frame (from somebody here -- maybe noglider Tom), but don't know if that goes back to the late 60s or not. Could be that the orange bike was a road bike converted to three speed. I have serious doubts that Raleigh would put those brakes on a three speed. Every one I've seen, or seen pictures of, from the late 60s/early70s had steel Raleigh brakes.

I'd like to know what sized rims the bike has, and also if they are aluminum alloy. The tires appear to be a bit skinny to be 650A tires. But, I'm not going to bother a guy when I have absolutely no interest in buying the bike.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 08:13 PM
  #7133  
Senior Member
 
forestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 100

Bikes: 2008 Electra Huli Huli, 1973 Eatons Glider, 1979 Sekine mixte, 197? Supercycle rustbucket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting to think I should replace the pedals on my Glider. It has those kind of rounded ones. I was looking at NOS Raleigh pedals but they don't really seem worth it. Anyone know of new pedals that would look right?
forestine is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 08:39 PM
  #7134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,091
Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 6,428 Times in 2,549 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
So, I don't know. I've heard that the Record and Sprite shared a frame (from somebody here -- maybe noglider Tom), but don't know if that goes back to the late 60s or not. Could be that the orange bike was a road bike converted to three speed. I have serious doubts that Raleigh would put those brakes on a three speed. Every one I've seen, or seen pictures of, from the late 60s/early70s had steel Raleigh brakes.
Yeah, I've had both Record and Sprite frames from the 60s, and they were pretty much identical, but I don't think they had thimble fork crowns. And those Altenburger Synchron brakes always seem very 1960s to me.
nlerner is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 08:43 PM
  #7135  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by forestine
I'm starting to think I should replace the pedals on my Glider. It has those kind of rounded ones. I was looking at NOS Raleigh pedals but they don't really seem worth it. Anyone know of new pedals that would look right?
I like MKS touring pedals.
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 09:05 PM
  #7136  
Senior Member
 
Velocivixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,525
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I have a question for you all. On one of these pages someone said that the 1940's - 1950's was a "golden era" for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in regard to quality. Question: what was the "golden Era" for the GH6?

I acquired a 1952 GH6 attached to a wheel - don't want the wheel so much. The hub works and I've overhauled it. I also have a 1960 GH6 that works and I've overhauled it.

In in your experience with the GH6 is there a preference for year or decade?

I would like to build up a 3 speed with my 1960's? '70's (no one could narrow it down. No date) AW hub and GH6 Dynamo front. So which GH6? Is it six of one half a dozen of the other? Also would that be just way too much Sturmey Archer on one bike? Would it have to be on an English bike? Like would it be bad form if I built up an early '80's mixte with a 3 speed hub & dyno?
Velocivixen is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 09:07 PM
  #7137  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I thought about the badge not being original to the bike, but it appears that the rivets are not the typical blind rivets that you'd see if someone with a paint brush full of orange paint were installing a head badge. What I mean is that it appears to have been attached with proper rivets.

Looked around a little more to see about those badges and the pictures that turn up all show it to be a three rivet badge. Interesting is this photo which was posted by Pastor Bob in NH back in 2012:
I've seen that same badge on a Raleigh Superbe that I spotted in Anacortes, WA a few years back. The bike appears to be 70's vintage.

adventurepdx is offline  
Old 04-16-15, 09:20 PM
  #7138  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, I've had both Record and Sprite frames from the 60s, and they were pretty much identical, but I don't think they had thimble fork crowns. And those Altenburger Synchron brakes always seem very 1960s to me.
Everything I know about those brakes I've learned today. I didn't even know they existed. Saw them on the orange and they look like a Weinmann so I googled Weinmann dual pivot and found them. Apparently, they originated with Gerry Burgess (BG) and were licensed to Altenburger and also to Weinmann. The Weinmanns have a different ID badge but the BG and Altenburger images that show up appear to be identical except for the actual branding text -- design is the same. Seems that some people think they were real good brakes and others say they sucked. There's a shocker.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 09:52 AM
  #7139  
Senior Member
 
forestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 100

Bikes: 2008 Electra Huli Huli, 1973 Eatons Glider, 1979 Sekine mixte, 197? Supercycle rustbucket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
I like MKS touring pedals.
Thanks! I was thinking about those or the MKS 3000s (basically rubber block pedals), but they don't have them locally. Then I ended up taking the pedals off and realized the left one was pretty stripped and didn't want to put it back on (but I want to ride my bike todaaaaaaaaay). The crank threads were a tiny bit damaged but not excessively so, which was a relief. Found these Electra ones and they look great. I noticed a lot of times the LBS doesn't have stuff on their site that they actually do have if you dig around in their store. All they seemed to have on their site were clipless and the other Electra ones, which are kind of big and weird looking. But these were buried on the shelf. Hooray! (and they have little hearts on the dust cap. Awww)



Phone seemed to want to focus on the rug that needs vacuuming. Always the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9550.jpg (95.0 KB, 116 views)
forestine is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 02:42 PM
  #7140  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
I'm having a very hard time running cables on my Raleigh. What should be standard-sized brake housing doesn't fit any of the places that it should...cable hangers (new Dia-Compe), the brake levers (Shimano 600) or the original cable stops on the frame.

Rather, the FERRULES do not fit...the bare housing fits snugly, but not tightly. I've been told that on brake housings, ferrules are optional, which might be fine except that in a couple instances the lateral force on the housing from semi-tight bends would make the housing not seat squarely in whatever it's fitting into.

Is there another, smaller, possibly older "standard" size of housing and ferrules that would fit like it should?
arex is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 04:59 PM
  #7141  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,979

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
A while back I started a thread named "For The Love of Austrian 3-Speeds" because I had bought a Sears/Styer 3-speed from around 1963-ish. The project was put on hold due to weather and other stuff, but I now have a very ride-able 3-speed like I had when I was in college.

I did the basic cleanup - worst rust removal, cleaning, lubing, adjusting, and a wheel replacement (issues with the original front rim). New tires though.

The dreaded "Neutral Instead of Normal" had to be overcome at the end, and the cables do not match - but this is an errand bike. The paint is faded/chipped/missing in spots. The decals are toast. Someone had put drop bars on it and tossed the original bars and stem. I scrounged through what I had in the Box O' Parts and came up with what you see. I have a Pletscher rack that I will soon install, and then I will call it done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0348.jpg (72.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0349.jpg (93.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0351.jpg (57.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0352.jpg (51.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0350.jpg (98.9 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by dweenk; 04-17-15 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling
dweenk is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 07:08 PM
  #7142  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
So, what makes this strange is not that somebody is trying to sell a FUBARSports for $300 (about $250 too much), but the head badge, rims, and brakes on this bike. All original, according to the ad, except seat and grips. Original brushed on orange paint, I guess. Bars don't look typical to me and neither do the brake levers, but that doesn't mean they might not be. Original lack of fenders, lack of chain guard, lack of pump. "good condition". I'd hate to see bad.

Brakes, I have learned through the intertubes, are a very early dual pivot by GB. Either GB Synchrons or the Altenberger copy of them. The head badge, apparently, was used during the 60s and early 70s, but it was new to me and I don't recall seeing it in this thread on any of that era's Sports or Superbes. Probably an AW hub in the rear and a Dynohub in the front (without the original, or any, light). Appears to be 32/40 spokes but the rims aren't the typical Raleigh rims, seem to be narrower, and they don't show to be rusty, which is different from everything else on the bike. I'm not sure that the rims are 590 instead of 597, which were used on some Raleighs way back when.

So, if the brakes and rims are original, it can't be a Sports, can it? Frame looks small to be a 21" Sports but the ad says 54 cm. I doubt that.

If it's not a Sports, what might it be with that head badge, those rims, those brakes?

Or, maybe it's just a mucked up Frankenbike put together from odd parts.

Here's the Craigslist ad:VINTAGE RALEIGH ROAD BIKE
I'd pay $80.00-$100.00 (Canadian) tops.
gster is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 07:09 PM
  #7143  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
A while back I started a thread named "For The Love of Austrian 3-Speeds" because I had bought a Sears/Styer 3-speed from around 1963-ish. The project was put on hold due to weather and other stuff, but I now have a very ride-able 3-speed like I had when I was in college.

I did the basic cleanup - worst rust removal, cleaning, lubing, adjusting, and a wheel replacement (issues with the original front rim). New tires though.

The dreaded "Neutral Instead of Normal" had to be overcome at the end, and the cables do not match - but this is an errand bike. The paint is faded/chipped/missing in spots. The decals are toast. Someone had put drop bars on it and tossed the original bars and stem. I scrounged through what I had in the Box O' Parts and came up with what you see. I have a Pletscher rack that I will soon install, and then I will call it done.

Never seen that thumb shift before
gster is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 07:13 PM
  #7144  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by forestine
I'm starting to think I should replace the pedals on my Glider. It has those kind of rounded ones. I was looking at NOS Raleigh pedals but they don't really seem worth it. Anyone know of new pedals that would look right?
MKS 3000!!!
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...intage-pedals/
gster is offline  
Old 04-19-15, 08:19 PM
  #7145  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 941 Posts
Today, under the George Washington Bridge. 1974 and 1966.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-04-19 Sports.jpg (111.3 KB, 230 views)
ascherer is offline  
Old 04-19-15, 09:27 PM
  #7146  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: hopewell lct NY
Posts: 192

Bikes: 1969 schwinn sting ray 3 speed stick ...1974 raleigh sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Today, under the George Washington Bridge. 1974 and 1966.

nice picture . another NYer ..my camaro upstairs ..shooting " american gangster "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
019_16A.jpg (91.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by michaelz28; 04-19-15 at 09:33 PM.
michaelz28 is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 08:42 AM
  #7147  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelz28
nice picture . another NYer ..my camaro upstairs ..shooting " american gangster "
Sweet rides, about the same vintage! Having crossed the bridge upstairs zillions of times since the green Sports was new, I have to say I prefer the vibe down below.
ascherer is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 09:09 AM
  #7148  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 197

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
This weekend I picked up this 1970 Raleigh Sports. It is meant to be a backup everyday bike while my Pashley Roadster undergoes experimental open-hub surgery (the 5 speed is stuck in 1st gear). It is a 21" frame. A 23" would probably be a better fit for me but for a secondary bike I think it will be ok. It felt fine during the test ride.

Anybody know of any quirks of the 1970-era Sports that I should be aware of? One of the pedals is doing something weird where it tightens up as it is spun. I read something on Sheldon Brown's site about certain years of pedals not having any serviceable bearings, do you know anything about that?

Attached Images
Chesterton is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 09:37 AM
  #7149  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
So, what makes this strange is not that somebody is trying to sell a FUBARSports for $300 (about $250 too much), but the head badge, rims, and brakes on this bike. All original, according to the ad, except seat and grips. Original brushed on orange paint, I guess. Bars don't look typical to me and neither do the brake levers, but that doesn't mean they might not be. Original lack of fenders, lack of chain guard, lack of pump. "good condition". I'd hate to see bad.

[snip]Appears to be 32/40 spokes but the rims aren't the typical Raleigh rims, seem to be narrower, and they don't show to be rusty, which is different from everything else on the bike. I'm not sure that the rims are 590 instead of 597, which were used on some Raleighs way back when.

So, if the brakes and rims are original, it can't be a Sports, can it? Frame looks small to be a 21" Sports but the ad says 54 cm. I doubt that.

If it's not a Sports, what might it be with that head badge, those rims, those brakes?

Or, maybe it's just a mucked up Frankenbike put together from odd parts.

Here's the Craigslist ad:VINTAGE RALEIGH ROAD BIKE
The rims are likely from a Dunelt. The brakes are something used to replace the original steel calipers. Definately Frankenbike.

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
I have a question for you all. On one of these pages someone said that the 1940's - 1950's was a "golden era" for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in regard to quality. Question: what was the "golden Era" for the GH6?

I acquired a 1952 GH6 attached to a wheel - don't want the wheel so much. The hub works and I've overhauled it. I also have a 1960 GH6 that works and I've overhauled it.

In in your experience with the GH6 is there a preference for year or decade?

I would like to build up a 3 speed with my 1960's? '70's (no one could narrow it down. No date) AW hub and GH6 Dynamo front. So which GH6? Is it six of one half a dozen of the other? Also would that be just way too much Sturmey Archer on one bike? Would it have to be on an English bike? Like would it be bad form if I built up an early '80's mixte with a 3 speed hub & dyno?
Seems to me master Shelden had something to say about that- mostly associated with the voltage output of the hub. I've got a 1951 Dynohub and a 1972 and they see to work about the same.

I've seen the occasional Raleigh mixte frame- often thought about three-speeding one for a friend of mine... It won't be too much SA on one bike
Salubrious is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 09:45 AM
  #7150  
Senior Member
 
forestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 100

Bikes: 2008 Electra Huli Huli, 1973 Eatons Glider, 1979 Sekine mixte, 197? Supercycle rustbucket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
This weekend I picked up this 1970 Raleigh Sports. It is meant to be a backup everyday bike while my Pashley Roadster undergoes experimental open-hub surgery (the 5 speed is stuck in 1st gear). It is a 21" frame. A 23" would probably be a better fit for me but for a secondary bike I think it will be ok. It felt fine during the test ride.

Anybody know of any quirks of the 1970-era Sports that I should be aware of? One of the pedals is doing something weird where it tightens up as it is spun. I read something on Sheldon Brown's site about certain years of pedals not having any serviceable bearings, do you know anything about that?

I was just researching this and found this site (seems to be down, I'll link to it just in case it returns since I swear I read it a couple days ago). This guy took the unserviceable pedals off and dripped quite a bit of oil into where he could see the bearings to give them a good soaking in it. It might be easier to get some cheap new pedals instead, though. When I took mine off the other day, it turned out they were beyond saving.
forestine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.