Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 11-05-15, 09:28 AM
  #8451  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,469

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7326 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Breeze & Angel made a nifty 4-wire adaptor that lets you mount such a saddle on a microadjust seatpost. I used one to install a Brooks on my RB-T. There must be someone making a piece like this relic from the '80s. I have a spare but am keeping it. Pics soon.
I don't see the point. The two-rail clamps are fine, and it's possible to get a good position without microadjustment on this type of bike.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 09:32 AM
  #8452  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,469

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7326 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,411 Posts
I had to look up that old British notation. I knew that there were 20 shillings to a pound and 12 pence to a shilling, but I didn't know that /- meant shillings. So converting that into "metric money," that's £1.20, though I don't know how to compensate for inflation.

Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 09:39 AM
  #8453  
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,977

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@bmthom.gis, don't de-rust that chain. Just buy a new one. 1/8" chains are cheap and last a lifetime.
I probably will just buy a new one. I let it soak overnight. White vinegar does a darn decent job of rust removal (and odor neutralizing of my garage!) - I wiped it down and 95% of all the rust and junk is gone, but it's still an old chain.

I think I need to get myself a Brooks B66 in the next few months. I like the look of the double rail.
bmthom.gis is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 10:23 AM
  #8454  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I probably will just buy a new one. I let it soak overnight. White vinegar does a darn decent job of rust removal (and odor neutralizing of my garage!) - I wiped it down and 95% of all the rust and junk is gone, but it's still an old chain.

I think I need to get myself a Brooks B66 in the next few months. I like the look of the double rail.
I always replace older chains. I like how smooth and quite a new chain feels. But before you do, you might want to consider which cog you would like on the rear hub. Everybody's different, but many of us prefer gearing down AW hubs. I like 22T cogs on mine.
BigChief is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 11:00 AM
  #8455  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I always replace older chains. I like how smooth and quite a new chain feels. But before you do, you might want to consider which cog you would like on the rear hub. Everybody's different, but many of us prefer gearing down AW hubs. I like 22T cogs on mine.
Word of Warning!
NEVER mix vinegar and bleach together.... Produces chlorine gas and is very toxic.
I did it the other day and then looked it up on the interweb...
gster is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 12:05 PM
  #8456  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I had to look up that old British notation. I knew that there were 20 shillings to a pound and 12 pence to a shilling, but I didn't know that /- meant shillings. So converting that into "metric money," that's £1.20, though I don't know how to compensate for inflation.

Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence
Your math is sound. 1.2 pounds in 1960 would equal about 26 pounds today which, in turn would equal $40.00 (US) or $52.00 (CDN) today.
gster is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 01:13 PM
  #8457  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't see the point. The two-rail clamps are fine, and it's possible to get a good position without microadjustment on this type of bike.
Well, it might not be necessary on an old-style clamp seatpost, but it would definitely be helpful if you have a modern microadjust seatpost. In fact, I want to throw my B-66 on a bike with the modern seatpost, so thankfully I have the "sandwich".
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 01:18 PM
  #8458  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
26 x 1 3/8" = 590mm = 650A = EA3

See Tire Sizing Systems.
I always love this graphic that's over on Wikipedia, helps you visualize the different 26 inch wheel sizes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...data_02-en.png

adventurepdx is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 01:25 PM
  #8459  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
For those of you in the Portland, Oregon area, I'll be putting on a Three Speed Pub Crawl on Sunday November 15. Meet at 4pm at Hedge House. We'll hit up at least three pubs, about five miles of riding, not a loop but ends near transit. Prepare for dark and wet!
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 01:34 PM
  #8460  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,469

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7326 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Well, it might not be necessary on an old-style clamp seatpost, but it would definitely be helpful if you have a modern microadjust seatpost. In fact, I want to throw my B-66 on a bike with the modern seatpost, so thankfully I have the "sandwich".
My point is that microadjustability solves a problem that rarely exists, if ever.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 01:40 PM
  #8461  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,334

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast.

Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.

Best we got around here are Fixie choirs practice.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 02:10 PM
  #8462  
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,977

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast.

Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.

Best we got around here are Fixie choirs practice.
It's only "suffering" until the first taste of the first pint

I think we should do something similar in my town. There has to be more than 2 of us with 3 speeds...
bmthom.gis is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 02:33 PM
  #8463  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My point is that microadjustability solves a problem that rarely exists, if ever.
You may be right.
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 02:35 PM
  #8464  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast. Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
It's only "suffering" until the first taste of the first pint
I think we should do something similar in my town. There has to be more than 2 of us with 3 speeds...
Thanks! You folks should definitely do three speed pub crawls of your own!

I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition.
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 04:09 PM
  #8465  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Thanks! You folks should definitely do three speed pub crawls of your own!

I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition.
Are you thinking, "Hold my beer and watch this"?
dweenk is offline  
Old 11-05-15, 04:24 PM
  #8466  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,334

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition. [/QUOTE]

Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-06-15, 12:57 PM
  #8467  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition.
Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science[/QUOTE]
It's very dangerous to drink and ride a bike. Trust me, I know.
Last time I did that, I spilled my drink.
gster is offline  
Old 11-06-15, 01:14 PM
  #8468  
Bike Butcher of Portland
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,629

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 2,277 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
For those of you in the Portland, Oregon area, I'll be putting on a Three Speed Pub Crawl on Sunday November 15. Meet at 4pm at Hedge House. We'll hit up at least three pubs, about five miles of riding, not a loop but ends near transit. Prepare for dark and wet!
Well, put a 3 speed on my list of bikes I need...
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 11-06-15, 02:06 PM
  #8469  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't see the point. The two-rail clamps are fine, and it's possible to get a good position without microadjustment on this type of bike.
Good heavens, man, this is C&V. If you can't justify using a classic superfluous '80s aftermarket trinket when mating one vintage piece with another then we all might as well just go home.

Last edited by thumpism; 11-06-15 at 02:10 PM.
thumpism is offline  
Old 11-06-15, 02:11 PM
  #8470  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,334

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science
It's very dangerous to drink and ride a bike. Trust me, I know.
Last time I did that, I spilled my drink.[/QUOTE]

Don't let this happen to you. Invest in a good cup holder !
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 08:34 AM
  #8471  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
herc_acc.jpg (76.4 KB, 181 views)
gster is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 10:16 AM
  #8472  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
My work hours are crazy right now. Only a bunch of short breaks through the day without enough time to get into stripping the frame of my Rudge. But I did try bolting one of the Tektro 800A brakes I bought for the project on the rear. My plan calls for alloy rims, but it still has the old steel Endricks for now. I rode the bike up and down the road a couple of times and decided that, with good pads, I really don't have a problem with the original front brake. Only the rear is weak. The added leverage of the 800A made a noticeable improvement and balances well with the old Raleigh front brake. With the pads set close to the rims, there is enough travel in the original levers to accommodate the extra leverage. I was wondering how I was going to adjust the toe in on the cast alloy brake arms, but I didn't need to. I just bolted it on and the toe in was perfect. I'm liking the combination of the 800A on the back and the Raleigh on the front. I think I'll shorten the bolt on the front Tektro and use it on the rear of one of my other Sports bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tektro.jpg (87.8 KB, 95 views)
BigChief is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 10:50 AM
  #8473  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
My work hours are crazy right now. Only a bunch of short breaks through the day without enough time to get into stripping the frame of my Rudge. But I did try bolting one of the Tektro 800A brakes I bought for the project on the rear. My plan calls for alloy rims, but it still has the old steel Endricks for now. I rode the bike up and down the road a couple of times and decided that, with good pads, I really don't have a problem with the original front brake. Only the rear is weak. The added leverage of the 800A made a noticeable improvement and balances well with the old Raleigh front brake. With the pads set close to the rims, there is enough travel in the original levers to accommodate the extra leverage. I was wondering how I was going to adjust the toe in on the cast alloy brake arms, but I didn't need to. I just bolted it on and the toe in was perfect. I'm liking the combination of the 800A on the back and the Raleigh on the front. I think I'll shorten the bolt on the front Tektro and use it on the rear of one of my other Sports bikes.
It doesn't look out of place.
gster is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 11:52 AM
  #8474  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
I'll take a dozen of those Tourist Bags @ $1.62, and 4 saddles @ $2.94. Is that Canadian or U.S $?
dweenk is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 12:02 PM
  #8475  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I don't think anybody sells that style saddle bag anymore. Leatherette with those diamond shaped side panels. That's what you saw 99% of the time on English bikes back in the day.
BigChief is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.