Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-04-16, 06:32 AM
  #9976  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
No the hub is original. The new CR18 rim is not of course . Both Sun CR18 weigh about the same as a single original steel rim. Very nice these Sun CR18s

? 26 tpi what ?

I need to purchase a die of the correct size.

A curiosity but apparently the brakes are self adjusting on these Raleighs?

J
It's probably 5/16 BSF. All the British Standard thread forms tend to be lumped together as 'Whitworth' as they share the same 55deg thread angle.
Fidbloke is offline  
Old 04-04-16, 10:00 AM
  #9977  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Running into an issue with remounting the drive-side crank. When the cotter is pushed in, it aligns in such a way that the base of the crank is rubbing pretty firmly on the cup. Judging by the condition of the backside of the crank (rough, chewed up), this was probably an issue from the factory. I have a reproduction crank that I've tried, and it fits fine, so I think the issue is with the crank itself...the cotter hole in the crank is further out than on the repro crank.

I've readjusted the BB repeatedly, trying to see if that affects anything (it doesn't). I'd really prefer not to use the repro crank (made in India, off of eBay), because it's not made nearly as well as the original, and the cranks themselves are about 1/2" longer, a potential issue on a Twenty.

This situation appears to be a manufacturing problem from the factory, but I have a hard time believing an issue this drastic got past QC, or past the bike shop that sold it. So, I have to assume I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it can be. The spindle is installed correctly, long end on the drive-side. I've tried three different sets of cotter pins with the same result. I have NOT tried installing the NDS crank yet.

Is there a fix for this, aside from replacing the crank? What am I doing wrong?
I've run into this problem on the non-drive side of my '72 Superbe. IMO it is indeed a QC problem- one that would never have happened in an earlier decade. The 70s was not a kind era to the British 3-speeds! You can't adjust it out if the crank is engaging the BB hardware. Are you certain though that you have the correct BB axle?


Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Just does not look all English Racer without a proper lamp.
FWIW dept: When I was a kid I heard this a lot in reference to British 3-speeds (with upright seating) but Master Sheldon is emphatic that such a term should not be used in this way.
Salubrious is offline  
Old 04-04-16, 03:24 PM
  #9978  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I've run into this problem on the non-drive side of my '72 Superbe. IMO it is indeed a QC problem- one that would never have happened in an earlier decade. The 70s was not a kind era to the British 3-speeds! You can't adjust it out if the crank is engaging the BB hardware. Are you certain though that you have the correct BB axle?
Fairly sure...it's the one that was in the BB, and the grease was like putty, so I doubt it had ever been apart before.

I'm gonna take it all apart and make sure I don't have too many balls in one of the cups or something.
arex is offline  
Old 04-04-16, 05:54 PM
  #9979  
Senior Member
 
Loose Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,067

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
FWIW dept: When I was a kid I heard this a lot in reference to British 3-speeds (with upright seating) but Master Sheldon is emphatic that such a term should not be used in this way.
I am quite certain it is evident I was using humor or tongue in cheek. I am also quite certain that I worship only one God and as fine a gentleman Sheldon Brown is he is not God and I am also further certain that anyone who rode bicycles with a chicken glued to the crown of their helmet did have a sense of humor and would know I was teasing.

And, since you are so serious, where I clearly was not, if you Google English Racer the photos that will result sure look like my little bicycle and even further certain that a huge percentage of baby boomers know exactly what an English Racer is regardless of what Sheldon Brown would wish for them to call it. I know, when as a boy, I raced everything I could on mine so that would have made it my English Racer.

And thank you Mr. Sheldon for all of your wisdom, humor and years of help to all cyclists everywhere.

Edit to add:

The new aluminum CR18 wheels weigh 1lb.1oz. each. The removed original steel wheels weigh 1lb.14oz. each for a total weight saving (rotating mass) of 1lb.10oz. total.



The new aluminum platform pedals weigh exactly 1/2 of the original Raleigh rubber block pedals, 10oz each vs. a total of 10oz. for the aluminum pedals.

So I took 2lbs. and 4oz. from the Raleigh Sports. I removed the frame crushing kickstand a long time ago. I have never owned a bike with a kickstand, I see no purpose to them (I saved it away). Of course I added a light system, dynamo and rack and will soon order the recommended B72 saddle. But I cannot resist removing rotating mass. The bike definitely feels more sporty with the new wheels and pedals and the wheels feel stiffer. I am pleased with it. I saved the original spokes, wheels and nipples. Just a data point for anybody interested in the future.

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 04-04-16 at 09:53 PM.
Loose Chain is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 07:53 AM
  #9980  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I also still maintain an affinity to the admittedly incorrect term "English Racer". Back in the early 60s, I had a paper route, little money, but still a knowledge of what real racing bikes were. The only way a kid like me was going to have a racer was to find an old beat up Nottingham made Sports model, strip all non-essentials off and flip the bars around. To me, it was a racer. Compared to the usual, at the time, balloon tired American tanks, they were like Ferraris.
Also, We do tend to call all British sized threads Whitworth. Spanners too. But to be fair, this is how they were sold to us.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 08:14 AM
  #9981  
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,980

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I am quite certain it is evident I was using humor or tongue in cheek. I am also quite certain that I worship only one God and as fine a gentleman Sheldon Brown is he is not God and I am also further certain that anyone who rode bicycles with a chicken glued to the crown of their helmet did have a sense of humor and would know I was teasing.

And, since you are so serious, where I clearly was not, if you Google English Racer the photos that will result sure look like my little bicycle and even further certain that a huge percentage of baby boomers know exactly what an English Racer is regardless of what Sheldon Brown would wish for them to call it. I know, when as a boy, I raced everything I could on mine so that would have made it my English Racer.

And thank you Mr. Sheldon for all of your wisdom, humor and years of help to all cyclists everywhere.

Edit to add:

The new aluminum CR18 wheels weigh 1lb.1oz. each. The removed original steel wheels weigh 1lb.14oz. each for a total weight saving (rotating mass) of 1lb.10oz. total.



The new aluminum platform pedals weigh exactly 1/2 of the original Raleigh rubber block pedals, 10oz each vs. a total of 10oz. for the aluminum pedals.

So I took 2lbs. and 4oz. from the Raleigh Sports. I removed the frame crushing kickstand a long time ago. I have never owned a bike with a kickstand, I see no purpose to them (I saved it away). Of course I added a light system, dynamo and rack and will soon order the recommended B72 saddle. But I cannot resist removing rotating mass. The bike definitely feels more sporty with the new wheels and pedals and the wheels feel stiffer. I am pleased with it. I saved the original spokes, wheels and nipples. Just a data point for anybody interested in the future.

J
Cool! My CR18 rims just came in the mail yesterday, and I am going to start lacing them up tomorrow.
bmthom.gis is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 09:54 AM
  #9982  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
And, since you are so serious, where I clearly was not, if you Google English Racer the photos that will result sure look like my little bicycle and even further certain that a huge percentage of baby boomers know exactly what an English Racer is regardless of what Sheldon Brown would wish for them to call it. I know, when as a boy, I raced everything I could on mine so that would have made it my English Racer.

And thank you Mr. Sheldon for all of your wisdom, humor and years of help to all cyclists everywhere.

Edit to add:

The new aluminum CR18 wheels weigh 1lb.1oz. each. The removed original steel wheels weigh 1lb.14oz. each for a total weight saving (rotating mass) of 1lb.10oz. total.



The new aluminum platform pedals weigh exactly 1/2 of the original Raleigh rubber block pedals, 10oz each vs. a total of 10oz. for the aluminum pedals.

So I took 2lbs. and 4oz. from the Raleigh Sports. I removed the frame crushing kickstand a long time ago. I have never owned a bike with a kickstand, I see no purpose to them (I saved it away). Of course I added a light system, dynamo and rack and will soon order the recommended B72 saddle. But I cannot resist removing rotating mass. The bike definitely feels more sporty with the new wheels and pedals and the wheels feel stiffer. I am pleased with it. I saved the original spokes, wheels and nipples. Just a data point for anybody interested in the future.

J
You mean- I gotcha on that one? I was kidding too.


Those don't look like the usual Kenda tires. What sort are they (BTW, I run Michelins on my Superbe, they allow 85 psi for a little quicker ride).
Salubrious is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 10:11 AM
  #9983  
Senior Member
 
Velocivixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,525
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
My Raleigh Twenty is April's cover girl....I mean Cover Photo for the Raleigh Twenty site. If you're interested, go here: https://raleightwenty.webs.com

It was a nice honor to be asked.
Velocivixen is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 04:35 PM
  #9984  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,979

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
So, now with both new CR18 aluminum wheels laced on with new stainless spokes and new light weight aluminum platform pedals the little Raleigh Sports moves along most sportingly. A few adjustments yet but it seems the little critter will live for another few decades as my coffee and latte ride. Just need to find that SA light bracket but if not I will make one. Just does not look all English Racer without a proper lamp.
If you are referring to a lamp bracket hung from the headset, I have a rusty one that you may have for free. PM me.
__________________
I hope...that all mankind will at length…have reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats. Ben Franklin
dweenk is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 05:50 PM
  #9985  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
My Raleigh Twenty is April's cover girl....I mean Cover Photo for the Raleigh Twenty site. If you're interested, go here: https://raleightwenty.webs.com

It was a nice honor to be asked.
Beautiful job on that `20, V. I really like that shade of green - utterly English. How does it ride?
DQRider is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 06:13 PM
  #9986  
Senior Member
 
Loose Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,067

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
You mean- I gotcha on that one? I was kidding too.


Those don't look like the usual Kenda tires. What sort are they (BTW, I run Michelins on my Superbe, they allow 85 psi for a little quicker ride).
They are the Bell Streetster tires. Several years ago I bought a few sets for a rainy day. They are actually pretty nice. Soft rubber, folding bead and roll nicely.

Originally Posted by dweenk
If you are referring to a lamp bracket hung from the headset, I have a rusty one that you may have for free. PM me.
Thank you so much for the offer but I think you are offering the part that attaches to the headset and what I need is the part that attaches to the light:



I borrowed that pic from the interwebs so I hope whoever does not mind. I will trade a nice set of spokes and original rims .

Hey, when riding your British three speed bicycles (for Sheldon ) do you guys and ladies wear a helmet? I know my parents would be put in jail today for abuse but you know, I do not recall anybody wearing a helmet whilst riding upon their British three speed bicycles

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 04-05-16 at 07:16 PM.
Loose Chain is offline  
Old 04-05-16, 07:40 PM
  #9987  
Senior Member
 
Velocivixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,525
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@DQRider - It originally has a nylon "collar" inside the upper head tube instead of the typical pressed cup for a headset - the bottom is normal headset. See photo:

Plastic Headset Bushing by velocivixen, on Flickr

I followed what a lot of people on the internet said about using a "normal" headset top & bottom. It makes the steering extremely light or somewhat "twitchy", so I'm almost tempted to put it back in. The collar also helped (I forget how) when folding, which I never do. The bike was rated best small wheeled bike in the '70's by an English "Consumer Report type" magazine.
Velocivixen is offline  
Old 04-06-16, 10:11 PM
  #9988  
Senior Member
 
CuttersRidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NM & MN
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very unique, the claim is a 1966 women's Raleigh Sport, all chrome I think, even the chain guard.

Very nice, the price is not. They are a real specialty store though;

Budget Bicycle Center - Vintage 1966 Raleigh Ladies Sports All Chrome Dealer Model Bicycle Bike Sturmey

I've never seen this kind.
CuttersRidge is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 10:07 AM
  #9989  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CuttersRidge
Very unique, the claim is a 1966 women's Raleigh Sport, all chrome I think, even the chain guard.

Very nice, the price is not. They are a real specialty store though;

Budget Bicycle Center - Vintage 1966 Raleigh Ladies Sports All Chrome Dealer Model Bicycle Bike Sturmey

I've never seen this kind.
The all chrome plated Sports are pretty rare, particularly the ladies model it seems. I heard the same as the advert states- They were given to the Raleigh dealerships as a promotion piece. That price is pretty keen though, wow.
streets is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 10:39 AM
  #9990  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,561

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 505 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7210 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,319 Posts
@Fenway, that's a pretty special bike you have there. Are you running your modern lights with an old 1.8w dynamo hub? How well does that work? I wouldn't have thought it possible.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 01:15 PM
  #9991  
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 536

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Hello, I now have a 'carry' socket that fits the axle nuts on my R20. The axle nut being Whitworth 1/4, BSF 5/16, Metric 13.34, Inch .525 the closest "common' SAE size is 17/32 (.53 inch, 13.49mm). Ordered a deep six sided socket and drilled a hole in it that will accept a variety of levers. Note: access to a drill press eased the drilling.


It's not perfect, but it is close.

Also, besides this size is there another unique size that I should carry?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R20 socket.jpg (58.5 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by mirfi; 04-07-16 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Attachment invalid???
mirfi is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 01:36 PM
  #9992  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have this 1937(?) Raleigh, which I believe is a 27X model (thanks to a forum member for helping identify it).
It's complete but a work in progress. I started doing a few custom touches to it, like relocating the headlamp and tail light, bare metal (the original paint was long gone) but I'm starting to wonder whether I should do a straight-up restoration instead.
It has 28" wheels, hub brakes, full chain case and crazy high gearing! Lovely thing to ride though.
Can't find a lot of information on this particular model. Anyone have experience with them?






Last edited by streets; 04-07-16 at 02:03 PM.
streets is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 02:11 PM
  #9993  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by streets
I have this 1937(?) Raleigh, which I believe is a 27X model (thanks to a forum member for helping identify it).
It's complete but a work in progress. I started doing a few custom touches to it, like relocating the headlamp and tail light, bare metal (the original paint was long gone) but I'm starting to wonder whether I should do a straight-up restoration instead.
It has 28" wheels, hub brakes, full chain case and crazy high gearing! Lovely thing to ride though.
Can't find a lot of information on this particular model. Anyone have experience with them?
+1 for full resto. If it was a DL1, there are enough of those around that one could be forgiven for building a custom out of it. But how many of these still exist in riding condition?

Because the original paint is gone, "preservation" is out of the question. Restoration would be a long and interesting journey.
DQRider is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 02:35 PM
  #9994  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
I dunno- just me I guess but I think the light looks better hanging off of the headset. My BSA gets lots of nice comments based on that location.

I think restoration would be good too. Its hard to find a machine that was equipped with a sector-style shift!
Salubrious is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 02:59 PM
  #9995  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DQRider
+1 for full resto. If it was a DL1, there are enough of those around that one could be forgiven for building a custom out of it. But how many of these still exist in riding condition?

Because the original paint is gone, "preservation" is out of the question. Restoration would be a long and interesting journey.
I know what you mean, I have other bikes that I could customise instead and I think it would be a rather handsome bike once restored.


Originally Posted by Salubrious
I dunno- just me I guess but I think the light looks better hanging off of the headset. My BSA gets lots of nice comments based on that location.

I think restoration would be good too. Its hard to find a machine that was equipped with a sector-style shift!

The lamp placement always looked too high for my tastes on these bikes. I thought the lower lamp mounting looked a little sleeker, but I suppose that's not really what these bikes are about!
I am leaning toward a restoration right now. Replacing the chrome has been putting me off though, that's probably going to hurt.



Just realised I've posted this bike before in this thread. Oh well!
streets is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 03:12 PM
  #9996  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,272

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by streets
I know what you mean, I have other bikes that I could customise instead and I think it would be a rather handsome bike once restored.





The lamp placement always looked too high for my tastes on these bikes. I thought the lower lamp mounting looked a little sleeker, but I suppose that's not really what these bikes are about!
I am leaning toward a restoration right now. Replacing the chrome has been putting me off though, that's probably going to hurt.



Just realised I've posted this bike before in this thread. Oh well!
+1 Restore!

Looks like a perfect candidate - - not much to do in the way of repair and parts. Really cool bike.
artclone is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 07:34 PM
  #9997  
Senior Member
 
Loose Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,067

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Well, semi-offical garage door picture. I will have to wait until I get back from a business trip in Europe to order the Brooks saddle and find/build the headlamp clamp. But I took it for another spin today and it seems fully functional, even slightly spiffy. As it leans against the door it weighs exactly 35 pounds of English steel (with headlamp). I come to think eliminating weight from these three speed tanks is an exercise in futility. The portly poundage and soft frames ask to be ridden sedately.



Heck, the rack weighs more than some cf bikes in total . It is kinda cute!

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 04-07-16 at 07:38 PM.
Loose Chain is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 07:46 PM
  #9998  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Well, semi-offical garage door picture. I will have to wait until I get back from a business trip in Europe to order the Brooks saddle and find/build the headlamp clamp. But I took it for another spin today and it seems fully functional, even slightly spiffy. As it leans against the door it weighs exactly 35 pounds of English steel (with headlamp). I come to think eliminating weight from these three speed tanks is an exercise in futility. The portly poundage and soft frames ask to be ridden sedately.
Heck, the rack weighs more than some cf bikes in total . It is kinda cute!

J
Well said! I agree about the weight thing. Not much you can do when you start with that frame, and all the steel components. I suppose you could spend a fortune on alloy stuff, and maybe bring it down to as little as 28 lbs - but that would completely change the character of the bike, and probably not for the better.
DQRider is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 08:47 PM
  #9999  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Well, semi-offical garage door picture. I will have to wait until I get back from a business trip in Europe to order the Brooks saddle and find/build the headlamp clamp. But I took it for another spin today and it seems fully functional, even slightly spiffy. As it leans against the door it weighs exactly 35 pounds of English steel (with headlamp). I come to think eliminating weight from these three speed tanks is an exercise in futility. The portly poundage and soft frames ask to be ridden sedately.

J
If you gear it right, you can do pretty well, but they are no speedsters. I've had mine up to 26 mph but I was pedaling like mad. But if you don't push it hard, you can cover ground. Do you know about the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour (coming up next month!)? The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour
Salubrious is offline  
Old 04-07-16, 09:31 PM
  #10000  
Senior Member
 
Loose Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,067

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
If you gear it right, you can do pretty well, but they are no speedsters. I've had mine up to 26 mph but I was pedaling like mad. But if you don't push it hard, you can cover ground. Do you know about the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour (coming up next month!)? The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour
Maybe some year I can do something like that. But I will just be getting home from a business trip. I recall that I topped 30 MPH on my bike when I was a (pre) teen. It had a speedometer on it, till I broke it.

No offense, lol, but this frame is like a soggy noodle. Which, for the intended purpose is not a disadvantage, the ride is soft and pleasant and even a little sporting (possibly because my frame is the 21 gives it a taughter feel). I like it and will quite enjoy it.

Does everything of British origin be required by some law, perhaps in the Magna Carta it is codified, that oil leaking is specified? Is a puddle of oil under the SA mandatory? My wife does not particularly care for this charming trait .
Loose Chain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.