Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 10-19-10, 10:07 AM
  #1076  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,794

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,732 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
My favorite thing about this image is that the AWG hubs are very old, and the bike itself is much newer.

That alone speaks volumes.
I agree. The hub is pretty inconspicuous, especially to the untrained eye, so the specialness of this bike is not readily apparent. But we folks here can see it and understand it.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 12:18 PM
  #1077  
Senior Member
 
AL NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
I have to agree with Rudi on this. The oil rub should work wonders preserving the original paint and decals. The one thing you do not want to do is to strip it and powder coat it; that would definitely effect its actual value in the most negative way.

I also don't want to strip it. I like the original look, the 'patina' if you like (but I hate that over-used word)
What should I rub with - cloth, or something a little more abrasive?
thanks for the replies, guys
AL NZ is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 12:28 PM
  #1078  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I agree. The hub is pretty inconspicuous, especially to the untrained eye, so the specialness of this bike is not readily apparent. But we folks here can see it and understand it.
1964 English hub in a 1988 bike... it's a sin I'd commit again.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 12:33 PM
  #1079  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,794

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,732 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
1964 English hub in a 1988 bike... it's a sin I'd commit again.
Not a sin at all! Mix the good from the old with the good from the new. Well, not new but not old.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 12:33 PM
  #1080  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,809

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
My favorite thing about this image is that the AWG hubs are very old, and the bike itself is much newer.

That alone speaks volumes.
Hey guys, is there really such a thing as an AWG hub, and if not, could we please not talk about them? Presumably you mean an AG, which is the generator version of an AW. I've never heard of an AWG.

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I also don't want to strip it. I like the original look, the 'patina' if you like (but I hate that over-used word)
What should I rub with - cloth, or something a little more abrasive?
thanks for the replies, guys
I don't think you have to abrade it any more. Saturate a disposable cloth with the oil of your choice, and rub that on the bike, both painted and unpainted surfaces. If you use boiled linseed oil or tung oil, it will be sticky when you're done. That's okay; let it dry somewhere where no dust will settle on it. Linseed oil may take a little longer than tung oil.
rhm is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 01:08 PM
  #1081  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Hey guys, is there really such a thing as an AWG hub, and if not, could we please not talk about them? Presumably you mean an AG, which is the generator version of an AW. I've never heard of an AWG.
You are correct...

It is technically an AG but I always find myself tossing in the "W"... they also made the FG which is the 4 speed version of this hub which is also a "W" in that it also a wide range hub.

The AG was produced from 1946 until 1983 although I have never seen one any newer than the one I have as they seem to have been superceded in popularity by the front Dynohubs.

Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 02:52 PM
  #1082  
guy on a bike
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AUSTIN TEXAS!!!
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Figured I liked my old 3 spd winter bike so much I needed another one so built up a Mavic wheel around a '64 SA-AWG (36 4 cross) and now get to find out why it won't shift into 1st.

Still need to install my rear brake too...

So... not exactly English... and not quite a 3 speed (yet).

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Sorted out the problem with the AWG and it's not finding or slipping out of first right into 2nd... the drive side adjustments were out and with a loose cone it allows everything inside to shift just enough that the planetary gears will not align in first.

Now I need a full chaincase...



I took the hub apart just to take a peek inside and the internals were squeaky clean and it does not look like my 45 year old hub has any mileage on it at all the the dynohub is cranking out the power quite nicely... the AWG seems to have less drag than a front dynohub too.
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Here's a little before and after and I was pretty thankful I did not have a derailleur on my bike today... the clay mud along the river is like velcro but had no effect on the AWG and cleaning this up will be easy...

Before... shiny and clean.



After...








that is a fantastic machine and it looks like you are gonna ride hell out of it - good for you
JJPistols is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 05:30 PM
  #1083  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You are correct...

It is technically an AG but I always find myself tossing in the "W"... they also made the FG which is the 4 speed version of this hub which is also a "W" in that it also a wide range hub.

The AG was produced from 1946 until 1983 although I have never seen one any newer than the one I have as they seem to have been superceded in popularity by the front Dynohubs.
I have a couple from the 1970's IIRC one is a 1971 and the other a 1973. I also have an FG that is going to be converted to 5 speed, for my club racer.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 09:43 PM
  #1084  
Senior Member
 
AL NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
has anyone fitted modern chromoplastic guards to an old English 3-speeder?
I am wondering if the 700c size will stretch to fit a 28" tyre, and if so, which width guard is best?
Or, alternatively , a set of hammered Honjos!

Any thoughts?
AL NZ is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 09:49 PM
  #1085  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JJPistols
that is a fantastic machine and it looks like you are gonna ride hell out of it - good for you
Hell is just around the corner... we call it winter.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 09:56 PM
  #1086  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,794

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,732 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
has anyone fitted modern chromoplastic guards to an old English 3-speeder?
I am wondering if the 700c size will stretch to fit a 28" tyre, and if so, which width guard is best?
Or, alternatively , a set of hammered Honjos!

Any thoughts?
I haven't done it, and I haven't heard of it done, but it might work. The size differences are really a lot less than an inch:

700c: 622mm BSD
27": 630mm BSD
28": 635mm BSD

And for reference, one inch = 25.4 mm.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-19-10, 10:18 PM
  #1087  
Senior Member
 
sailorbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
Posts: 5,630

Bikes: one of each

Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
This isn't English, but it is a 3 speed. It's a '65 Schwinn Racer (unfortunately the SA hub/wheel was replaced w/ a Shimano setup...but it works perfectly). I've been enjoying this one thoroughly as an office errand or quick lunch break excursionist...very much in the correct spirit of the English 3 speed, eh? I have to say it's a plush ride...perhaps equal or even more plush than my '65 Robin Hood...hmmm.....
I had a Breeze for a little while that I thought compared really favorably with the lady's Sports that I've had. It made me want to find a 23" Racer to try. Haven't found one yet in my size on payday. I got a Sports Tourer but it's not the same animal. I like my Super Course a lot better. I picked up a 23" Continental to try. It needs some grease before I do that, though.
Tonight I replace the normal Northroads bars on my Super Course with the really wide kind off a Schwinn. I like the width and the height a lot. I wish they'd used a gentler curve where they bend from the handgrip part to the center part. I grab that when I'm pulling up a hill and the old NR was more comfy there. Maybe some cork tape will even things out some.
sailorbenjamin is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 12:39 AM
  #1088  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
I made this for another thread. I feel like I should make or do something with it.... any ideas?

__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 06:23 AM
  #1089  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,794

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,732 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I made this for another thread. I feel like I should make or do something with it.... any ideas?
Wow, Matt, you're good. How did you do that? I think I just might make a poster of that.

Tom
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 06:54 AM
  #1090  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, Matt, you're good. How did you do that? I think I just might make a poster of that.

Tom
Ha, thank you. I got a little sloppy around the rear wheel because I was in a hurry. I cut a mask in Adobe photoshop and filled it with black on a separate layer.

I did this one of my Gran Sport too in a different style. This one is messy but I think it's a little more interesting since it shows textures.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 03:28 PM
  #1091  
Senior Member
 
snarkypup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Around Seattle
Posts: 1,207

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I made this for another thread. I feel like I should make or do something with it.... any ideas?

T-shirts, clearly. That we can buy.
snarkypup is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 04:02 PM
  #1092  
Senior Member
 
jedge76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 71

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Ha, thank you. I got a little sloppy around the rear wheel because I was in a hurry. I cut a mask in Adobe photoshop and filled it with black on a separate layer.

I did this one of my Gran Sport too in a different style. This one is messy but I think it's a little more interesting since it shows textures.
Agreed, t-shirts. I like the added texture. Adds to the vintage nature of the bicycle. Nice work! I never have taken a graphic design approach in CS3--I have a lot of respect for the job you did.
jedge76 is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 05:47 PM
  #1093  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
I never noticed how crooked the pictures were before I made them black and white. I have the ability to print on canvas, that might be cool. The sloppier image would be good for screen printing, I have a simple single frame somewhere. I might dig it out and attempt to make a t-shirt, I haven't done that since high school.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 07:32 PM
  #1094  
Senior Member
 
jedge76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 71

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may have done something stupid. I added several drops of oil to my SA today. The oil is formulated for 4-cycle lawn mowers and seems somewhere in between 10W-30 and 4-in-1 oils. When I went to ride it, the "click--click--click" of the SA hub was no longer there. The shifting also skipped or wouldn't engage when I was at slower speeds. Did I add too much or is the oil too heavy? Not sure what to do.
jedge76 is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 08:30 PM
  #1095  
Bicycle Repairman
 
kingsting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Land of Three Mile Island
Posts: 685

Bikes: Many

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jedge76
I may have done something stupid. I added several drops of oil to my SA today. The oil is formulated for 4-cycle lawn mowers and seems somewhere in between 10W-30 and 4-in-1 oils. When I went to ride it, the "click--click--click" of the SA hub was no longer there. The shifting also skipped or wouldn't engage when I was at slower speeds. Did I add too much or is the oil too heavy? Not sure what to do.
Hmmmm. You may have flushed some old goop out that is causing the pawls or something to hang up.

I don't think motor oil that thin would hurt anything. (unless it's real cold out) I used to put 50W Valvoline racing oil in these hubs which worked fine in the summer months...

A you could try a little WD-40 or Tri-flow to thin out the oil.
kingsting is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 08:35 PM
  #1096  
Senior Member
 
jedge76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 71

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingsting
Hmmmm. You may have flushed some old goop out that is causing the pawls or something to hang up.

I don't think motor oil that thin would hurt anything. (unless it's real cold out) I used to put 50W Valvoline racing oil in these hubs which worked fine in the summer months...

A you could try a little WD-40 or Tri-flow to thin out the oil.
That sounds plausible. Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling I may have added too much. Is that a possibility and, if so, would WD-40 be a good way to flush some of it out? I really appreciate your advice and all the others who I know will chime in. Man, it was running so smoothly, seemingly, until I added that oil.
jedge76 is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 08:40 PM
  #1097  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Here is a little known fact about English three speeds... the tick tick tick of the AW attracts chickadees in droves and when this happens you better have some sunflower seeds to give them or it could get ugly.

Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 08:41 PM
  #1098  
Senior Member
 
jedge76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 71

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the oil I used:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_MG_1602_0252..jpg (65.9 KB, 108 views)
jedge76 is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 09:02 PM
  #1099  
Senior Member
 
Andrew F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 904
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
30 w oil is fine. Chances are there is too much oil in the hub, good news is that if finds it's way out by itself. IMO I'd ride it for a while, the clicking and smooth shifting will return. My experience has been: If shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd hangs up, it is more likely the cable, or the indicator chain, make sure they move freely. You can watch to see if the chain moves smoothly into the hub. If the hang up is from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st than it might be something within the hub.
Andrew F is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 09:27 PM
  #1100  
Senior Member
 
jedge76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 71

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew F
30 w oil is fine. Chances are there is too much oil in the hub, good news is that if finds it's way out by itself. IMO I'd ride it for a while, the clicking and smooth shifting will return. My experience has been: If shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd hangs up, it is more likely the cable, or the indicator chain, make sure they move freely. You can watch to see if the chain moves smoothly into the hub. If the hang up is from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st than it might be something within the hub.
What happens is that I go to shift from say 2nd to 1st, it just won't go. I push on the shifter and it won't go even w/ a little extra push than normal. Like you said, it seems like there's too much oil. Still very rideable so I'll just have another reason to ride the hell out of it! Should I try some WD-40 through the oil port in the hub just to see if it's some dirt, etc. that was loosened up?
jedge76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.