Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 08-27-16, 09:04 PM
  #11351  
King of the Forest
 
Totoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Thanks. Seller also had a predecessor from the 60's, full black with black coat guards and stainless steel rims he had already worked on and put in pefect condition and I was tempted because it's much more the model I always coveted. Consideribly heavier and slightly more rigid, I would always choose rigidity over weight. But it was 200 euro's, and too much of a collector's item not to be stolen if left outside regularly, and I'm not going to worry about that because it's takes the main point out of biking, which is the freedom to move.
Sounds like a bargain, if it is in good condition. Vintage bikes seem much cheaper in Europe.
Totoro is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 03:18 AM
  #11352  
Senior Member
 
Stadjer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Groningen
Posts: 1,308

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6038 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Totoro
Sounds like a bargain, if it is in good condition. Vintage bikes seem much cheaper in Europe.
Could be, but this one hasn't vintage status yet. Seller initially wanted 175 euro's for it a couple of months ago, and I didn't think that was unreasonable just for the quality of the bike as a means of transport, but rarity makes the price and after no one made a bid for 2 months he realized it was much too young for that price. If I walk out my front door there are about a 100 bikes parked in a stretch of 100 yards in front of the student housing next door, and about 20 of them are of the same generation, and even one is the same brand in the same seventies colour. In far worse conditon and without the rod brakes, but still a very usuable bike, and in the underground parking lot of my own appartment block there's a brown seventies bike from a different brand.

Even if you have 30's bike in good condition that will last another 50 years and is relatively rare because a lot of bikes went to Germany during the war you're not going to get 400 euro's for it, because a serious collector knows that after the Wall Street Crash of '29 manufacterers started cutting corners... I'd really like to say that the Dutch bike industry did a lot of excting innovations, and they did have a lot of different truss frames and came up with different technical solutions in the drive train, but I'm afraid most innovation and advertisement until the 70's was about paint jobs and quality of alloys, "guaranteed rustfree" and stuff like that, durability was the selling point. The truss frames, suspension frames, bakers bikes with original wooden crate, 3-speed kick back gearboxes, cycloid ball bearing bikes are collectible, but the ordinary diamond frame roadster or 'oma' was just too durable to get rare within a century.

I'm very happy with my bike, but it's not like it has attracted any attention at all. I told my friends I rode it 30 km's home, and they asked how my injured ankle did hold up, not about the bike. It's got a flat on the rear now, the old rubber of the tube appearantly cracked at the edge of the valve stem. The rear wheel has never been out and I'm going to change the inner tube without taking it out also, because the drive train is better left alone unless it's really necessary. I'm never going to get it back in as good as it is now, these drivetrains are made to maintain, taking apart shouldn't be necessary unless it has been run over by a truck or something.
Stadjer is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 02:14 PM
  #11353  
Senior Member
 
tpadul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 298

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Totoro
Here is the Raleigh 3-Speed I rescued from the metal recycling pile today. It will be used by my kid for college. I am sure it would have cleaned up nicely, but I don't want it to attract thieves.

Very cool Totoro!!!!!! Yeah, I wouldn't clean it up too much so they don't steal it, very nice!!!! You really found that in the garbage?? Wow.. I thought someone would have tried to at least sell it for a couple of dollars
tpadul is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 02:17 PM
  #11354  
Senior Member
 
tpadul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 298

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
We just picked up a 1976 Raleigh Sports yesterday for only $50.. It's in pretty decent shape, we will be taking it in for a Tune up soon and it will probably need new brakes. But not bad for $50. I noticed it doesn't have any back brakes and I think all these models had both front and back brakes. I had to take off the front light and the back light that ran with a generator as they were broken, but we won't be doing any riding at night so I think we can keep the lights off the bike. This 1976 model had the vinyl Brooks Saddle and it would be nice to replace it with a leather one. The 3 speeds still work well and it rides pretty nice.

1976 Raleigh Sports 3 speed by Michelle Padula, on Flickr

Last edited by tpadul; 08-28-16 at 02:20 PM.
tpadul is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 03:04 PM
  #11355  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 59

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Sports. 21 inch, Black, 1991 Ross Shark 6 speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SA Spanner

This may be old news but I discovered that a 58mm/62mm Hook Spanner works perfectly on an AW ball ring. I have always used the punch and hammer method but recently had the punch slip and gouge a spoke. Did not break but it really bothered me. I paid $10 for this one on e bay, used and ugly. A bit of steel wool and an oil rub down and it works perfectly. If you own one 3 speed and will only take it apart once, if ever, not really worth it but for someone building a fleet, worth the hunt. Will need a strap wrench or chain whip if the hub is not in the wheel. I never liked taking a hammer to the hub anyway.





DaytonaMike is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 03:17 PM
  #11356  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
We just picked up a 1976 Raleigh Sports yesterday for only $50.. It's in pretty decent shape, we will be taking it in for a Tune up soon and it will probably need new brakes. But not bad for $50. I noticed it doesn't have any back brakes and I think all these models had both front and back brakes. I had to take off the front light and the back light that ran with a generator as they were broken, but we won't be doing any riding at night so I think we can keep the lights off the bike. This 1976 model had the vinyl Brooks Saddle and it would be nice to replace it with a leather one. The 3 speeds still work well and it rides pretty nice.

1976 Raleigh Sports 3 speed by Michelle Padula, on Flickr
Looks like you might have the coaster brake 3-speed rear hub, the 3SC. I think I spy a coaster brake strap on the left chainstay.
thumpism is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 03:58 PM
  #11357  
Senior Member
 
tpadul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 298

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Looks like you might have the coaster brake 3-speed rear hub, the 3SC. I think I spy a coaster brake strap on the left chainstay.

Is this what you are referring to? Ok, then can you tell me if those rear coaster brakes are any good or should or can we add the hand brakes to the rear? I had no idea that this model came with rear coaster brakes, but I was wondering what they thing was in the back, I thought it had something to do with the 3 speed gear shift.

0828161648a by Michelle Padula, on Flickr
tpadul is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 04:12 PM
  #11358  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
Is this what you are referring to? Ok, then can you tell me if those rear coaster brakes are any good or should or can we add the hand brakes to the rear? I had no idea that this model came with rear coaster brakes, but I was wondering what they thing was in the back, I thought it had something to do with the 3 speed gear shift.

0828161648a by Michelle Padula, on Flickr
The left chainstay; your military left, as they used to say in Basic Training. Photo below shows the coaster brake arm on the left side of the hub that is held to the left chainstay by a CB strap that wraps around the stay. Your pic shows the gear cable and indicator chain on the right side that does indeed work the shifting.


I personally don't like coaster brakes but they work. Absolutely no need to add a rear handbrake if your CB works and you are happy with it. Good price for the bike. They usually go for about twice that, or more.



Last edited by thumpism; 08-28-16 at 04:18 PM.
thumpism is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 04:12 PM
  #11359  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
Is this what you are referring to? Ok, then can you tell me if those rear coaster brakes are any good or should or can we add the hand brakes to the rear? I had no idea that this model came with rear coaster brakes, but I was wondering what they thing was in the back, I thought it had something to do with the 3 speed gear shift.

0828161648a by Michelle Padula, on Flickr
Nice bike! I always liked this silver color.
It would be simple to add a rear hand brake to this bike if you're more used to riding that way. I am. Then, you'd have 3 brakes.

Last edited by BigChief; 08-28-16 at 04:24 PM.
BigChief is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 04:38 PM
  #11360  
Senior Member
 
tpadul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 298

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The left chainstay; your military left, as they used to say in Basic Training. Photo below shows the coaster brake arm on the left side of the hub that is held to the left chainstay by a CB strap that wraps around the stay. Your pic shows the gear cable and indicator chain on the right side that does indeed work the shifting.


I personally don't like coaster brakes but they work. Absolutely no need to add a rear handbrake if your CB works and you are happy with it. Good price for the bike. They usually go for about twice that, or more.

Yes!! I do have the coaster brake, you are correct, I just tried it out. Had no idea these had coaster brakes on some models. Yes, After watching the prices the past few days on Craigslist I was seeing other people post similar bikes in really bad shape, extremely rusty and beat up for about $180-$275 so I was keeping fingers crossed the lady I bought it from would not change her mind before we showed up.


Originally Posted by BigChief
Nice bike! I always liked this silver color.
It would be simple to add a rear hand brake to this bike if you're more used to riding that way. I am. Then, you'd have 3 brakes.
We just might add the rear brakes if it doesn't cost too much, which I don't think it will. The rear coaster brake actually works, I just checked it out. Pretty cool though.
tpadul is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 05:00 PM
  #11361  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Out for a spin on my last day of summer vacation

Brynley is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 08:40 PM
  #11362  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Brynley
Out for a spin on my last day of summer vacation

Wow! What a beauty. My very first 3 speed was a Rudge, which I stupidly sold. I'll always have a soft spot for them. I do have this one. Still on the hunt for a fork and fenders.
BigChief is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 11:01 AM
  #11363  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
A better quality photo:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LBHtu1]
That's a great shot of a fine bicycle. Well done!

Where was that taken?
DQRider is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 12:58 PM
  #11364  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,870

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
It is English and it is three speeds (Sturmey Archer Taiwan)...

DETAILS, MAN.
arex is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 03:00 PM
  #11365  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,870

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
Sorry, thought it was too common to warrant details. It is a Pashley Pronto, similar to the Pashley Mailstar used by Royal Mail. This one was previously used by Whistl (TNT), hence the colour.
Hunh...okay. Cool...I've never paid much attention to Pashley.
arex is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:24 PM
  #11366  
King of the Forest
 
Totoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
Very cool Totoro!!!!!! Yeah, I wouldn't clean it up too much so they don't steal it, very nice!!!! You really found that in the garbage?? Wow.. I thought someone would have tried to at least sell it for a couple of dollars
I was surprised too. Usually discarded bikes go into a "take it or leave it" area, but this was thrown in the metal pile for scrap. It did have a lot of caked on grime, paint splashes, etc. So it looked even worse before I washed it up. It would have been a shame for her get crushed and melted down.
Totoro is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:27 PM
  #11367  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,864

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
Sorry, thought it was too common to warrant details. It is a Pashley Pronto, similar to the Pashley Mailstar used by Royal Mail. This one was previously used by Whistl (TNT), hence the colour.
Absolutely uncommon across the pond.
clubman is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:39 PM
  #11368  
Junior Member
 
Fat Tire Trader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Quentin California
Posts: 107

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
Hello,
I just got a Raleigh Sports with fluted cranks. I don't remember seeing fluted cranks on a Sports before. Were they on bikes during certain years, or?
Thanks,
Chris



Fat Tire Trader is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 07:36 PM
  #11369  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
I don't think fluted cranks ever came standard on any DL-22 Sports models. Those would be from a more upscale model like a Lenton. Are those alloy rims I see?
BigChief is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 12:24 AM
  #11370  
Junior Member
 
Fat Tire Trader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Quentin California
Posts: 107

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
Since, almost everything else on this bike has been changed, it may be that the cranks came from a different model. Yes, the rims are aluminum, the bike came to me with 700c rims, Sturmey SR5w and mafac 2000 brakes, French bars, Japanese stem, Avocet saddle. and a bent steerer tube. The serial number is on the seat tube. I was not able to find it in any of the charts.

Fat Tire Trader is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 08:08 AM
  #11371  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,864

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I don't think fluted cranks ever came standard on any DL-22 Sports models. Those would be from a more upscale model like a Lenton. Are those alloy rims I see?
I've had a couple of Sports with fluted cranks from the mid 50's, no detachable ring. Still have a set in good condition but no, they are not seen often.
clubman is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 12:48 PM
  #11372  
tbo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 194

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
We just might add the rear brakes if it doesn't cost too much, which I don't think it will. The rear coaster brake actually works, I just checked it out. Pretty cool though.
The rear brakes are often quite weak anyway. You might stick with the coaster brake if it operates correctly and upgrade the front brake.

Level 1: Replace pads with KoolStop Salmon.
Level 2: Replace front wheel steel rim with a CR-18 aluminium rim. That's a combination of work and /or money.
Level 3: Replace front brake with Tektro R559. It's a straight, bolt-on replacement. That, along with the aluminium rim, turns this into a bike with a vintage ride and modern braking.

If you are keeping the rear coaster brake, changing out the rear rim for aluminium doesn't get you anywhere except that it is lighter than the steel and it matches the front (if you did that already.)
tbo is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 01:23 PM
  #11373  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
What tbo says is true, but personally, I don't change the brakes or rims on my Raleighs. Salmon Kool Stops do work very well, but they're expensive. I'm perfectly happy with the old fashioned steel brakes and rims on my bikes even with the cheaper grey pads.The trick to getting good braking from these bikes is to have a good cable adjustment, fresh pads, true wheels and a very clean surface on the rims for the pads to grip.
BigChief is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:26 PM
  #11374  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I don't think fluted cranks ever came standard on any DL-22 Sports models. Those would be from a more upscale model like a Lenton. Are those alloy rims I see?
Mine's a '59, same color, definitely not fluted cranks.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:27 PM
  #11375  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
What tbo says is true, but personally, I don't change the brakes or rims on my Raleighs. Salmon Kool Stops do work very well, but they're expensive. I'm perfectly happy with the old fashioned steel brakes and rims on my bikes even with the cheaper grey pads.The trick to getting good braking from these bikes is to have a good cable adjustment, fresh pads, true wheels and a very clean surface on the rims for the pads to grip.
i.e.: good maintenance.

who'da thunk it?
RobbieTunes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.