Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 10-12-16, 05:42 AM
  #11701  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 250

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bazil4696
'71 & '73 Raleighs all kleened and polished for the upcoming thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.
It was so beautiful outside today, I had to ride at lunch, and talked two guys from work to join me.
Nice bikes.

Last edited by Dsprok; 10-16-16 at 06:15 PM.
Dsprok is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:14 PM
  #11702  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 74

Bikes: 2016 Linus Mixte 8, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello knowledgeable people. I've put a 22 tooth cog and new tires (Schwalb Delta Cruiser) on a 1974 Raleigh Sports and am also putting on a new chain.

My problem: If I push the rear axle all the way back in the dropouts, the rear tire rubs on the fender in the back. Is it safe to have the rear wheel further forward within the dropouts so that the tire doesn't rub?
I can see from a circular wear pattern in the paint that, maybe for this reason, the previous owner had the wheel far forward, almost to the end--or is that called the beginning?--of the dropouts where the wheel would drop out. Is that safe/acceptable?
missmixte is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:32 PM
  #11703  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,979

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by missmixte
Hello knowledgeable people. I've put a 22 tooth cog and new tires (Schwalb Delta Cruiser) on a 1974 Raleigh Sports and am also putting on a new chain.

My problem: If I push the rear axle all the way back in the dropouts, the rear tire rubs on the fender in the back. Is it safe to have the rear wheel further forward within the dropouts so that the tire doesn't rub?
I can see from a circular wear pattern in the paint that, maybe for this reason, the previous owner had the wheel far forward, almost to the end--or is that called the beginning?--of the dropouts where the wheel would drop out. Is that safe/acceptable?
There is a lot of room in the rear drop out for adjustment. It sounds like the chain is a bit too long. Just shorten it (1 link is 1/2"), or have a bike shop do it. It may be that your new tires have a higher profile - the fix is the same though.
__________________
I hope...that all mankind will at length…have reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats. Ben Franklin
dweenk is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:35 PM
  #11704  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 74

Bikes: 2016 Linus Mixte 8, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
There is a lot of room in the rear drop out for adjustment. It sounds like the chain is a bit too long. Just shorten it (1 link is 1/2"), or have a bike shop do it. It may be that your new tires have a higher profile - the fix is the same though.
Thanks! So as long as I tighten the bolts there's no safety reason why the wheel needs to be all the way back in the dropouts? Basically I don't want the wheel to fall out while I'm riding, that's my fear. eeks.
missmixte is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:41 PM
  #11705  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
It's hard to stop riding in this fall weather. Back to work after some coffee. I did remember to bring my phone along today. I tend to stay in out of the way places, not much to see. I guess I'll never be a photographer like some of you here. Still, here's the roadster on a couple of my favorite roads.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:46 PM
  #11706  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by missmixte
Thanks! So as long as I tighten the bolts there's no safety reason why the wheel needs to be all the way back in the dropouts? Basically I don't want the wheel to fall out while I'm riding, that's my fear. eeks.
The extra room is there so as the chain wears you can move the wheel back to tighten it up. When the chain is properly set you should be able to pick up the middle of the chain about 3/4".

If the nuts are tight the wheel isn't going anywhere and it can't fall out at any rate.
Salubrious is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:49 PM
  #11707  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 74

Bikes: 2016 Linus Mixte 8, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
The extra room is there so as the chain wears you can move the wheel back to tighten it up. When the chain is properly set you should be able to pick up the middle of the chain about 3/4".

If the nuts are tight the wheel isn't going anywhere and it can't fall out at any rate.
Oh okay! Thanks!!
missmixte is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 01:06 PM
  #11708  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
There is a lot of room in the rear drop out for adjustment. It sounds like the chain is a bit too long. Just shorten it (1 link is 1/2"), or have a bike shop do it. It may be that your new tires have a higher profile - the fix is the same though.
Let me add that, if for some reason removing a full link is too much, you can buy a "half-link" from any of the usual suspects in the bike parts trade. I use Amazon here for purposes of illustration only:

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Bicycle-C.../dp/B00HZ8PAQY

I've used these successfully on a couple of my 10-speed to IGH conversions. They work fine.
DQRider is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 01:37 PM
  #11709  
Senior Member
 
Salubrious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by missmixte
Oh okay! Thanks!!
An additional note- as pointed out earlier, if the wheel goes all the way to the rear of the dropout your chain is too long; as you noted the wheel runs into the fender.

You'll need a chain link removal tool to get the chain to the right length. There is a bit of a technique to it! So I would practice removing and installing links on the old chain if its still around (youtube is your friend), otherwise get someone to show you how to use the tool.
Salubrious is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 01:44 PM
  #11710  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 74

Bikes: 2016 Linus Mixte 8, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
An additional note- as pointed out earlier, if the wheel goes all the way to the rear of the dropout your chain is too long; as you noted the wheel runs into the fender.

You'll need a chain link removal tool to get the chain to the right length. There is a bit of a technique to it! So I would practice removing and installing links on the old chain if its still around (youtube is your friend), otherwise get someone to show you how to use the tool.
I have the tool and know how to remove links, but not how to add them. So I'll have to be careful not to remove too many! Nope, I believe I intelligently lost or threw away the old chain so it's just me, the new chain, the chain tool, and my resourcefulness.
missmixte is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 04:57 PM
  #11711  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Correct-- window shifter is 1950s era.

1938-48 is the long lever:




1948-49: the uncommon "silver" or "black" solid face (two types)
Starting around 1950, and for much of that decade you see a variety of window shifters with various faceplates. They indeed were plated to start with, and lose their plating easily. If you have the short lever, window shifter, it's 1950s-era.

See: https://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanc...satriggers.pdf

for an excellent resource.
What a beautiful bit of manufacturing this is. The embossing from hand cut dies is all in relief. The trigger looks forged and that rich 56 Buick chrome plating. Nobody would put this much effort into bicycle shifter anymore.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 10-13-16, 04:31 PM
  #11712  
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 536

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Raleigh RSW's for sale

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...795040743.html



The red one looks mint
mirfi is offline  
Old 10-13-16, 10:16 PM
  #11713  
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 2,138

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
What a beautiful bit of manufacturing this is. The embossing from hand cut dies is all in relief. The trigger looks forged and that rich 56 Buick chrome plating. Nobody would put this much effort into bicycle shifter anymore.
They look nice, but I do think the short lever shifters from 1948 through the 1950s (silver/black face solid and window face) work better. The window shifters really are a functional wonder when you find one in good shape.
__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 04:35 AM
  #11714  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
They look nice, but I do think the short lever shifters from 1948 through the 1950s (silver/black face solid and window face) work better. The window shifters really are a functional wonder when you find one in good shape.
I have early 50s 3 or 4 speed window shifters on my roadsters now and I think they're perfect for rod brake bikes. The lever isn't as long as this very early one, but it's longer than the late 50s on type. I can position them in a very comfortable position for me. The one on my 72 was a rusty mess when I took it off a salvage bike, but it cleaned up nicely and as unlikely as it sounds, I found someone selling NOS replacement leaf springs on eBay. Works beautifully. They are nice shifters.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 03:56 PM
  #11715  
Overdoing projects
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, former republic of the Netherlands
Posts: 2,428

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 666 Posts
Not exactly vintage-approved, but I do get excited from an engineering point of view about this:
Ginko feine veloteile and their heatsink modified SA+ brake hubs.

That and a ton of small tuning parts for Sturmey Archer brake hubs.
JaccoW is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 07:34 PM
  #11716  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
It's hard to stop riding in this fall weather. Back to work after some coffee. I did remember to bring my phone along today. I tend to stay in out of the way places, not much to see. I guess I'll never be a photographer like some of you here. Still, here's the roadster on a couple of my favorite roads.
A Path Racer on a path.
gster is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 07:48 PM
  #11717  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
A Path Racer on a path.
Those are excellent shots! Wow, the leaves there are much farther along in the color cycle than here in MN. Although I suppose it probably looks the same up north, like Ely or International Falls. I have yet to take any Fall Colors shots. Better get busy this weekend.

Nice path racer! Can't beat a DL1 for that - the rod brakes really stand out.
DQRider is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 11:47 AM
  #11718  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,532
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Larger rear cog / chain guard issues.

I got a 22t to replace the 19t on my 1969 superbe. I am having issues with getting the frame tabs for the chainguard to line up with the holes on the chainguard. IS there a trick here? I might just leave the guard off. ITs kind of pointless. The screws/nuts for my chainguard are gone as well. Figuring they are witworth threaded i would probably just get smaller ones that fit through the hole with washers and nylon nuts....but at this point i cant get it to line up wiht the holes. Perhaps some spacers between the guard and the tab would do the trick.
scale is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 02:27 PM
  #11719  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,533

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 218 Posts
Enjoyed the mild autumn weather today with a ride to the coffee shop with my sweetie and riding the '79 Raleigh DL1 known as "Sir Wayes A. Tonne" The Radio Canada CBC backpack does duty as a bike bag. It has taken a while to get all the bugs out of this one, but SWAT is becoming my favorite "townie".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0093.jpg (98.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0097.jpg (99.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_01031800.jpg (98.6 KB, 116 views)
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 02:28 PM
  #11720  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I got a 22t to replace the 19t on my 1969 superbe. I am having issues with getting the frame tabs for the chainguard to line up with the holes on the chainguard. IS there a trick here? I might just leave the guard off. ITs kind of pointless. The screws/nuts for my chainguard are gone as well. Figuring they are witworth threaded i would probably just get smaller ones that fit through the hole with washers and nylon nuts....but at this point i cant get it to line up wiht the holes. Perhaps some spacers between the guard and the tab would do the trick.
The trick is to tighten NOTHING down until you've gotten all the screws in place. Give yourself plenty of slack to wiggle things into place. I had similar issues on a R20, wondering what the hell happened that the guard didn't fit anymore. It'll fit, but you'll need to adjust things as you go to get them into place.
arex is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 02:37 PM
  #11721  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
The trick is to tighten NOTHING down until you've gotten all the screws in place. Give yourself plenty of slack to wiggle things into place. I had similar issues on a R20, wondering what the hell happened that the guard didn't fit anymore. It'll fit, but you'll need to adjust things as you go to get them into place.
Yes, especially the clamp at the back of the chainguard. That can move up and down on the seat stay, attach that last.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 02:40 PM
  #11722  
Abuse Magnet
 
arex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Yes, especially the clamp at the back of the chainguard. That can move up and down on the seat stay, attach that last.
This.
arex is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 03:47 PM
  #11723  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,979

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
@browngw
Like the DL-1. Does the bag interfere with the wheel?
__________________
I hope...that all mankind will at length…have reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats. Ben Franklin
dweenk is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 09:07 PM
  #11724  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,533

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
@browngw
Like the DL-1. Does the bag interfere with the wheel?
The benefits of a full chaincase (one of the few)! The bag (gifted by my stepdaughter) had a full size pocket in the back, most likely for a laptop and I cut a stiff piece of plastic to slip in and keep the flat shape on the back of the bag. Using the bag straps and some additional Velcro straps it works fine. The seat stay and large diameter rack strut keep it away from the wheel.
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 06:13 AM
  #11725  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Enjoyed the mild autumn weather today with a ride to the coffee shop with my sweetie and riding the '79 Raleigh DL1 known as "Sir Wayes A. Tonne" The Radio Canada CBC backpack does duty as a bike bag. It has taken a while to get all the bugs out of this one, but SWAT is becoming my favorite "townie".
SWAT cuts a dashing figure in those surroundings. I love the versatility of the DL1; it always exceeds my expectations on rides both long and short. I'm still amazed at the floating quality of the ride, once you get rolling, and the ease with which it deals with bad pavement. The only time I resent anything about it is when I have to lift it up onto the rather high bike rack on the trunk of my car.

Of course, it would help if I took the loaded down bags off first...

Great photos!
DQRider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.