Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 01-11-17, 03:07 PM
  #12326  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
Character! Funny but true however, I attach a photo of character steel, failed. Frightening. What is OA? I have tried clear coating steel before with polyurethane and it rusts.
OA is Oxalic Acid, used for rust removal and probably an ingredient in brand name products that do the same thing. Once the surface is rust-free, coat it with something like sprayed-on clear lacquer or enamel to protect the bare metal surface. Your bike really looks okay to me other than the (admittedly prolific) surface rust. Considering how much work you've already done, it would be a shame just to let it go.

The local co-op had the bones of a ladies' Raleigh Sports that appeared to have been kept at the bottom of the sea for a while, but it was gone last time I went by. If I didn't already have one I'd have considered trying to bring that one back. My own 3-speeds are worn and chipped with some rust but are not nearly this bad.
COOP crusty Sports.JPG
thumpism is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 03:14 PM
  #12327  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I always knew that this is possible, but I'd never seen it until now.
what do you think, does it look like a corrosion problem or the result of bad construction/brazing? Well, yeah, there's a lot of rust, but I don't see any brass in the joints that pulled apart. I'm thinking that what this may be an example of is water intrusion into the interface between the frame tubes and the lugs -- a space that should have been penetrated with brazing material and that should have been immune from water penetration.

I've seen some pretty poor brazing jobs on Raleighs from the 70s: poor fitting lugs and massive and obvious voids.

Pretty ugly, in any event.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 03:33 PM
  #12328  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
Character! Funny but true however, I attach a photo of character steel, failed. Frightening. What is OA? I have tried clear coating steel before with polyurethane and it rusts.
OA is oxalic acid which will convert rust into some sort of yellow crud which can be washed away. It's great to soak rusty chromed parts in and works a miracle, but I don't like the idea of soaking frames in it as I don't see any way to get all the crud out and any area inside the frame that doesn't get treated with some sort of inhibitor will likely rust again. Also, I think that there is a possibility of hydrogen embrittlement though I don't know if that's a serious concern or not. Lots of people disagree with me on OA as a frame soak and get good results so maybe I'm just outgassing.

If you are going to clearcoat over areas with rust, you're going to need to stop the corrosion process first. Some sort of stuff with phosphoric acid in it will do that -- it's what is used in the auto repair industry to remove the unavoidable surface rust that forms almost instantaneously on any bare, untreated iron or carbon steel. The process is to remove the rust mechanically and than treat with some sort of phosphate agent which converts remaining rust to some phosphate compound which will inhibit future rust. Smooth it out and paint either color or clearcoat. Sometimes people refer to the results of phosphoric acid treatment as "etching." Paint sticks well to treated iron/steel and it won't corrode if protected from the elements, i.e. painted.

That broken frame is indeed ugly, but I question how much of the problem was from poor assembly/brazing. Looks like the areas of the top tube and bottom tube that were actually brazed are pretty small.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 03:39 PM
  #12329  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The local co-op had the bones of a ladies' Raleigh Sports that appeared to have been kept at the bottom of the sea for a while, but it was gone last time I went by. If I didn't already have one I'd have considered trying to bring that one back. My own 3-speeds are worn and chipped with some rust but are not nearly this bad.
Attachment 548659
Yeah, that's pretty nasty but even the ugliest Sports is likely to have something worth salvage. Even just the headset or bottom bracket could prove useful if you find a bike more worthy of attention. Beats the heck out of buying stuff from Greece on ebay. And, a fixable AW hub alone is probably worth the price of a crapped out Sports.

edited: Back when the hurricane hit Galveston/Houston (Ike in, as I remember, 2008), Galveston flooded --pretty much of the island under sea water. I've seen some bikes and cars salvaged after the flood and it's a very, very depressing sight.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 03:39 PM
  #12330  
boattail71
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 193

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido

On the Yellow Jersey site there is an ad for a repro reflector in black that looks pretty good. I get the impression that some things on their site may not actually be available. I've never bought from them, I think others have with good results.
Does anyone have the website or other contact information on "Yellow Jersey" or any other supplier for that matter for a reflector and housing?

Thanks!
boattail71 is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 03:41 PM
  #12331  
boattail71
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 193

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9volt
I have this black SA reflector that likely came from a Raleigh 3 speed. Not sure if I have a white one.

Needed is a repro reflector like this...
boattail71 is offline  
Old 01-11-17, 04:31 PM
  #12332  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Does anyone have the website or other contact information on "Yellow Jersey" or any other supplier for that matter for a reflector and housing?

Thanks!
This will get you to there ad for the reflector Spares and Accessories for Roadster Bicycles Raleigh Tourist 28" 635mm at Yellow Jersey Westwood Rims is another keyword Rod brakes British spares Whitworth Phillips Tourist.

It's a strange site with lots of pages that don't look like they've been updated in about 20 years. The whole thing has a sort of "vintage" look to it.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 01-12-17, 08:40 AM
  #12333  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
OA is Oxalic Acid, used for rust removal and probably an ingredient in brand name products that do the same thing. Once the surface is rust-free, coat it with something like sprayed-on clear lacquer or enamel to protect the bare metal surface. Your bike really looks okay to me other than the (admittedly prolific) surface rust. Considering how much work you've already done, it would be a shame just to let it go.

The local co-op had the bones of a ladies' Raleigh Sports that appeared to have been kept at the bottom of the sea for a while, but it was gone last time I went by. If I didn't already have one I'd have considered trying to bring that one back. My own 3-speeds are worn and chipped with some rust but are not nearly this bad.
Attachment 548659
In my years of salvaging old English bikes, I've found that bikes in good condition are far more likely to have worn out bottom brackets from use than rusted hulks like this one. Of course, you won't know until you take it apart, but a bike like this is likely to yield a good 16 GC spindle and bearing cups. Tough to find if you need them. Unfortunately, headsets don't usually survive a bad rusting.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 01-12-17, 10:38 AM
  #12334  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
In my years of salvaging old English bikes, I've found that bikes in good condition are far more likely to have worn out bottom brackets from use than rusted hulks like this one. Of course, you won't know until you take it apart, but a bike like this is likely to yield a good 16 GC spindle and bearing cups. Tough to find if you need them. Unfortunately, headsets don't usually survive a bad rusting.
That one is long gone, and I don't generally drag these things home in order to scavenge parts from the carcass.

On the other hand, I purely hate to see one in the trash.
thumpism is offline  
Old 01-12-17, 01:18 PM
  #12335  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
That one is long gone, and I don't generally drag these things home in order to scavenge parts from the carcass.

On the other hand, I purely hate to see one in the trash.
I've saved a lot of bikes from the scrap pile over the years. I'll even strip and de-rust frames and forks so I can inspect them thoroughly. Only things that are dangerous to use or pitted badly are sent to the recycle pile at the town dump. I save every usable piece.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 01-12-17, 02:16 PM
  #12336  
Bike Doctor
 
bazil4696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 141

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpecangum
Character! Funny but true however, I attach a photo of character steel, failed. Frightening. What is OA? I have tried clear coating steel before with polyurethane and it rusts.
Those tubes are torn out of the lug, probably from poor brazing prep, not catostrophic failure from rust. Although there is rust, it doesn't appear to have caused that much character.
bazil4696 is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 09:19 AM
  #12337  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I'm going to amend my opinion about the gearing of my roadster. My ride this morning had me in a stiff head wind a good 10 miles headed home and I didn't resent the lower gearing from the 46Tx22T one bit. The rolling resistance from the 1 1/2" tires isn't very noticeable with still air, but every little bit counts in a head wind. On the positive side, the roadster handles sand very well. The roads here are narrow and being forced onto sandy shoulders isn't the white knuckle experience you sometimes get with thin tires.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 11:51 AM
  #12338  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I was clicking through the photos of one bike on CL this morning and had a "WTF" moment. Just some junky Muffay thang with Shimano hub but...

BICYCLE VINTAGE ANTIQUE ATKINS "SEBRING" 3-SPEED 26"

BICYCLE VINTAGE ANTIQUE ATKINS "SEBRING" 3-SPEED 26" - $35 (HENRICO)




My wife is selling her vintage bike that she bought back in 1972. Still in fair condition. Will need tires of course and oiling of the moving parts. Nothing locked up on the bike. It has been in a shed all these yrs. Thanks, Ronnie

Last edited by thumpism; 01-14-17 at 12:05 PM.
thumpism is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 11:58 AM
  #12339  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I'm going to amend my opinion about the gearing of my roadster. My ride this morning had me in a stiff head wind a good 10 miles headed home and I didn't resent the lower gearing from the 46Tx22T one bit. The rolling resistance from the 1 1/2" tires isn't very noticeable with still air, but every little bit counts in a head wind. On the positive side, the roadster handles sand very well. The roads here are narrow and being forced onto sandy shoulders isn't the white knuckle experience you sometimes get with thin tires.
That's about perfect gearing for a roadster though, don't you think? I mean, how fast do you want to go on such a dignified steed? I did the S.B. gear calculator for your setup (S-A AW, right?) at 80rpm, and came up with this:

0.75 (Low) 10.5mph
1.0 (Normal) 13.9mph
1.33 (High) 18.6mph


So if you're in high gear pedaling semi-fast, you are going almost 19 mph and fighting 3x the wind resistance than if you were pedaling at 60 rpm, which is ~14 mph. And with a headwind, that difference increases even more. On my bikes, I consider anything faster than 20mph in top gear at 80rpm a waste. Better to go with shorter gearing for the hills.

But then I guess I forgot: this is your "Path Racer", right? Better put a 16t on there!
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 01-14-17 at 12:02 PM.
DQRider is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 11:59 AM
  #12340  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
^^^^ I bet $25 would take that one. S/A shifter/alloy brakes & levers/handle bars that should clean up decently/cool chain guard and other bits.
dweenk is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 12:41 PM
  #12341  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
That's about perfect gearing for a roadster though, don't you think? I mean, how fast do you want to go on such a dignified steed? I did the S.B. gear calculator for your setup (S-A AW, right?) at 80rpm, and came up with this:

0.75 (Low) 10.5mph
1.0 (Normal) 13.9mph
1.33 (High) 18.6mph


So if you're in high gear pedaling semi-fast, you are going almost 19 mph and fighting 3x the wind resistance than if you were pedaling at 60 rpm, which is ~14 mph. And with a headwind, that difference increases even more. On my bikes, I consider anything faster than 20mph in top gear at 80rpm a waste. Better to go with shorter gearing for the hills.

But then I guess I forgot: this is your "Path Racer", right? Better put a 16t on there!
After my experience today, I'm going to say that you're right and a 22T cog suites the roadster even a later one with the smaller chainwheel. I don't know why Raleigh fitted them with 16T cogs. Overdrive was crazy tall and useless unless you ha Reg Harris legs and wanted to keep up with friends on road bikes.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 12:50 PM
  #12342  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
^^^^ I bet $25 would take that one. S/A shifter/alloy brakes & levers/handle bars that should clean up decently/cool chain guard and other bits.
If you're talking about this bike...
BICYCLE VINTAGE ANTIQUE ATKINS "SEBRING" 3-SPEED 26" - $35 (HENRICO)

It does not have the Sturmey shifter. It only has a Shimano trigger to shift its Shimano hub. That was the point of my post; that people will put the damnedest stuff in their ads without regard to proofing. The Altenburger calipers are okay but I've never liked exposed-clamp levers, even if they are alloy.

The shots are obviously of two different bikes and the one with the Sturmey shifter (the red women's bike) may actually be the one for sale. If it also has a Sturmey hub it would be worth the money for someone who wants to mess with it, but even then it has marginal appeal for me (space, hassle). The Shimano shifter/hub appears to be on the green men's bike.

Last edited by thumpism; 01-14-17 at 12:55 PM.
thumpism is offline  
Old 01-14-17, 07:19 PM
  #12343  
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 2,169

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 322 Posts
46-22 is a good, low gearing and does work well on the 28 inch wheel bikes. It can be very easy to "out ride your brakes" on a DL-1 if you are going fast with taller gearing on the stock steel rims. Even with Kool Stop pads, and proper adjustment, the rod brake system with stock rims is mediocre at best. If you're pushing 48-18 or 46-16 gearing hard on a flat or downhill, you're in trouble if you need to emergency stop with the stock braking system. I think 46-22 gives much better low gearing while giving reasonable cruising speeds in high.
__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 03:11 AM
  #12344  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
It has been a while... nice to see that folks are still here.

Pretty soon it will be seven years since post number 1.

Dang.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 08:12 AM
  #12345  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It has been a while... nice to see that folks are still here.

Pretty soon it will be seven years since post number 1.

Dang.
It's been around so long because the people here have made it a great thread. I've learned a lot and found that I'm not alone in the world with my 3 speed hobby. My thanks and appreciation to all of you.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 05:37 PM
  #12346  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It has been a while... nice to see that folks are still here.

Pretty soon it will be seven years since post number 1.

Dang.
Thank you, Godfather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_2srioss7.JPG (60.9 KB, 134 views)
gster is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 09:23 PM
  #12347  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,773

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It has been a while... nice to see that folks are still here.

Pretty soon it will be seven years since post number 1.
Good to see you're still around. I've been wondering where you've been.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 09:33 PM
  #12348  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Good to see you're still around. I've been wondering where you've been.
Thanks.

The legs aren't working as good these days and I haven't been on a bike in months although ... will have to bust out my snappy new winter bike which isn't a three speed but has some nice SA drum brakes on a freewheel hub.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 01-15-17, 09:41 PM
  #12349  
elcraft
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Does anyone have the website or other contact information on "Yellow Jersey" or any other supplier for that matter for a reflector and housing?u

Thanks!
Look for yellowjersey.org
elcraft is offline  
Old 01-16-17, 07:28 AM
  #12350  
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, VA
Posts: 4,420

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
After my experience today, I'm going to say that you're right and a 22T cog suites the roadster even a later one with the smaller chainwheel. I don't know why Raleigh fitted them with 16T cogs. Overdrive was crazy tall and useless unless you ha Reg Harris legs and wanted to keep up with friends on road bikes.
I've made a practice of putting a Shimano 23 tooth sprocket on every IGH roadster I've owned, from my Raleigh Tourist to my Twenty. I've found that swapping the 16 for the 23 effectively drop third gear to what used to be second, second down to roughly first, and first becomes something that can actually climb a couple of the hills in my neighborhood.

Doing this conversion on my '69 Sprite has me rarely using the left side shifter under drive.
__________________
Syke

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

sykerocker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.