Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 02-18-17, 07:44 AM
  #12551  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,451

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,169 Posts
More than six and less than eight?


Seriously, some manufacturers used those numbers to distinguish which in a series of designs was used for that model.
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-18-17, 08:56 AM
  #12552  
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,464
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
More than six and less than eight?


Seriously, some manufacturers used those numbers to distinguish which in a series of designs was used for that model.
LOL - understood but it just seems some pretty famous cars were all (coincidentally?) "Sevens" - don't hear a lot about the Lotus Two or the Austin 9.....anyway, I didn't want to take this too far as it is off topic...just thought with the number of Anglophiles here there might be a quick answer. Internet yields little beyond delicious pictures of the Caterham 7 (swoon)...
markk900 is offline  
Old 02-18-17, 09:43 AM
  #12553  
Dsprok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 250

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Western society sees 7 as a lucky number. Hence all the 7's in the Boeing line of aircraft.
Dsprok is offline  
Old 02-18-17, 11:41 AM
  #12554  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,451

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
LOL - understood but it just seems some pretty famous cars were all (coincidentally?) "Sevens" - don't hear a lot about the Lotus Two or the Austin 9.....anyway, I didn't want to take this too far as it is off topic...just thought with the number of Anglophiles here there might be a quick answer. Internet yields little beyond delicious pictures of the Caterham 7 (swoon)...
Excerpt from Wikipedia:

"...The Lotus Seven was launched in 1957, after the Lotus Eleven was in limited production. The Seven name was left over from a model that was abandoned by Lotus, which would have been a Riley-engined single-seater that Lotus intended to enter into the Formula Two in 1952 or 1953. However, the car was completed around Chapman's chassis as a sports car by its backers and christened the Clairmonte Special.

Based on Chapman's first series-produced Lotus Mark VI, the Seven..."

And, regarding the Austin Seven:
"...Edge convinced Austin to use a small four-cylinder engine. The original side valve engine design featured a capacity of 696cc ( 55mm x 77mm ) giving a RAC rating of 7.2 hp..."

So maybe the Austin Seven name came from the horsepower rating? Or maybe it's simply euphonious.
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-18-17, 07:05 PM
  #12555  
gna
Count Orlok Member
 
gna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,671

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Don't know about the name. Googling found me this cool video:
gna is offline  
Old 02-18-17, 10:58 PM
  #12556  
SirMike1983 
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 123 Posts
1946 Hercules Model C, rod and coaster variant. 70 degrees in February (!).

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2017...s-model-c.html







__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 03:06 PM
  #12557  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,296

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post
1946 Hercules Model C, rod and coaster variant. 70 degrees in February (!).

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2017...s-model-c.html


Wow! What a beautiful bike! And what a punishing seat angle!

SirMike1983, please tell me that saddle settles forward when you mount the bike. Or do you sing soprano?
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 06:13 PM
  #12558  
BigChief 
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 95 Times in 79 Posts
It's quite common to see Brooks saddles set like that. Years of biking has caused some damage down there for me. I can now only ride saddles with generous relief in the center and even then, I still have some discomfort. Seems like most riders don't experience my problem, but I wish I was more aware of the risk back when I was young. And yes...another superb bike from Sir Mike!!
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 07:33 PM
  #12559  
SirMike1983 
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider View Post
Wow! What a beautiful bike! And what a punishing seat angle!

SirMike1983, please tell me that saddle settles forward when you mount the bike. Or do you sing soprano?
It's deceptively comfortable. The bike rides where sit with your back straight up, over the rear springs on the Brooks. You're not on your soft parts because the weight is all on the sit bones toward the rear of the saddle.
__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 08:41 PM
  #12560  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,296

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 542 Posts
For the love of an English-ish 5 speed?

I submit with some trepidation my winter project...

Last year, after my daughter rejected it as "rickety", I traded a ladies Dunelt for a Raysport Turismo frame. I say English-ish because it was built in Mexico of English Reynolds 531 butted tubes by a Scottish member of the 1968 British Olympic Cycling Team (one Ian Alsop), and I'm running a Sturmey Archer 5-speed hub for the drivetrain.

So I started with this:



Was aiming for this (Raleigh Lenton Model 29):



And ended up with this:



That was yesterday. After some few introductory miles, helping all the disparate parts get acquainted with some mild mechanical persuasion, today I decided to configure it for the Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour coming up in May. So I added racks and bags, and the chainguard I painted yesterday, and posed it up against a better background:









The ride is very light and smooth, though maybe not quite as comfortable as my DL1. But the handling is superb even with the racks and bags packed. The long crank and short wheelbase cause some overlap awkwardness with the front fender in low speed maneuvering, but I can get used to that enough that it seldom happens.

I hope I captured the spirit of the old Light Roadsters, since I cannot seem to accumulate the required cash when the real thing becomes available - just poor timing, that. I've certainly spent that much building this, although I did save money on the paint job by doing it myself. Yes, that is rattle-can Rustoleum you are looking at here. Just a coat of wax away from a professional-looking result.

So, am I a heretic now?
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 08:51 PM
  #12561  
kmt 
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Asheville/Shelby, NC
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the 1973 Raleigh Sports camping this weekend in Edisto State Park, SC. It got lots of attention!


Last edited by kmt; 02-19-17 at 08:57 PM.
kmt is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 09:00 PM
  #12562  
BigChief 
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 95 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider View Post
I submit with some trepidation my winter project...

Last year, after my daughter rejected it as "rickety", I traded a ladies Dunelt for a Raysport Turismo frame. I say English-ish because it was built in Mexico of English Reynolds 531 butted tubes by a Scottish member of the 1968 British Olympic Cycling Team (one Ian Alsop), and I'm running a Sturmey Archer 5-speed hub for the drivetrain.

So I started with this:



Was aiming for this (Raleigh Lenton Model 29):



And ended up with this:



That was yesterday. After some few introductory miles, helping all the disparate parts get acquainted with some mild mechanical persuasion, today I decided to configure it for the Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour coming up in May. So I added racks and bags, and the chainguard I painted yesterday, and posed it up against a better background:









The ride is very light and smooth, though maybe not quite as comfortable as my DL1. But the handling is superb even with the racks and bags packed. The long crank and short wheelbase cause some overlap awkwardness with the front fender in low speed maneuvering, but I can get used to that enough that it seldom happens.

I hope I captured the spirit of the old Light Roadsters, since I cannot seem to accumulate the required cash when the real thing becomes available - just poor timing, that. I've certainly spent that much building this, although I did save money on the paint job by doing it myself. Yes, that is rattle-can Rustoleum you are looking at here. Just a coat of wax away from a professional-looking result.

So, am I a heretic now?
That is GORGEOUS! Excellent work. I remember the rickety Dunelt. Fine job on that one too. How did you handle the anti-rotation of the rear axle? Or do the new SA hubs even have flats on the axles? I've never had one and don't know how they work.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 09:14 PM
  #12563  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,296

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
That is GORGEOUS! Excellent work. I remember the rickety Dunelt. Fine job on that one too. How did you handle the anti-rotation of the rear axle? Or do the new SA hubs even have flats on the axles? I've never had one and don't know how they work.
Thanks, BigChief!

The SRF-5 (w) has axle flats just like the AW - and the standard A-R washers come with the kit. What I didn't use was the new arm and pulley setup for the shift mechanism, finding that the old HMN129 axle nut fits (Thanks, Dan Burkhart!) and works perfectly fine and makes adjustment easier. Even though I pre-stretched the cable before installing, I still had to stop once to readjust the indicator chain tension. The 5-speed is a bit more finicky than the AW and needs precise adjustment to work properly.

Frankly I was worried about the quality of the Taiwanese-built Sturmey Archer, but it worked just fine today even though I am overdriving it a bit with 44/23t gearing. But I have some steep hills to climb in my Mississippi River bluffs area, and it handled those without a glitch today. I'm really looking forward to the Lake Pepin Tour; Bay City Hill will be a breeze on this steed.
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 09:55 PM
  #12564  
2cam16
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,168

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 498 Posts
Beautiful,DQ!
2cam16 is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 11:23 PM
  #12565  
adventurepdx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kmt View Post
I took the 1973 Raleigh Sports camping this weekend in Edisto State Park, SC. It got lots of attention!
I'd love to hear and see more about this! Do you have any photos?
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 08:59 AM
  #12566  
Niner9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1950 Rudge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks pretty good for a rattle can! Did you get the decals made or buy them? Your grips look great also on that bike. Nice job DQ.
Niner9 is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 09:25 AM
  #12567  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,296

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Niner9 View Post
Looks pretty good for a rattle can! Did you get the decals made or buy them? Your grips look great also on that bike. Nice job DQ.
Thanks, Niner9! The stripes were sourced from Velocals, I used the Carlton versions. All lettering was sourced from DIY Lettering, which is a fantastic site where you can create pretty much whatever kind of text you want on their application, and they turn it around quickly. The Coat of Arms on the seatpost and the custom headbadge decals were sourced from CafePress. The grips are a new offering from Brooks. Designing the graphics for this project was a lot of fun, and it turned out exactly as I imagined it would.
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 02-20-17 at 12:30 PM.
DQRider is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 10:28 AM
  #12568  
Velocivixen
Senior Member
 
Velocivixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,515
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
@DQRider - outstanding. Very creative use of what you had.
Velocivixen is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 12:27 PM
  #12569  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,296

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen View Post
@DQRider - outstanding. Very creative use of what you had.
Thanks, @Velocivixen! We have lots of time for creativity during Minnesota winter. You should see our Arts and Crafts Fairs...
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 12:37 PM
  #12570  
agmetal
Senior Member
 
agmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,541

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Westwood rims! What are the narrowest tires that can reasonably fit them? I have a pair of 622mm Westwood profile rims (V38 Alloy) that I'll be lacing up soon, and I have a pair of Schwalbe Century (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/century) tires that I'm planning to use with them. The thing is, their recommended inflation range is something like 50-85 PSI, and typically the tires that get installed on Westwood rims have a maximum recommended inflation pressure of something like 55 PSI. I emailed Schwalbe about it a while ago, and they told me that I'd need to run these tires at their minimum recommended pressure, and I typically inflate tires of this size to 80 PSI on modern hooked rims.

The tires I have are 700x35C/37-622, and a 26x1-3/8" tire is 37-590, so I should be ok, right? Obviously, I won't be able to get to 80 PSI safely, but can I reasonably get to something like 65? I'm aware that I'm outside the manufacturers' "optimum" size recommendations...I definitely would've gotten these tires in a 38mm version if such a thing were available, but the only larger size is 50-622, which is more than I have clearance for.
agmetal is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 12:40 PM
  #12571  
agmetal
Senior Member
 
agmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,541

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider View Post
Wow! What a beautiful bike! And what a punishing seat angle!

SirMike1983, please tell me that saddle settles forward when you mount the bike. Or do you sing soprano?
It's pretty close to where I have my saddle set on my '37 Raleigh, too

agmetal is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 08:53 PM
  #12572  
SirMike1983 
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 123 Posts
Not English and not a 3-speed, but a very similar style of bike: a 1940 Westfield Sports Roadster inspired by the English Sports Light Roadster style bikes. It even copied the white rear fender tip. A Happy Birthday to President Washington (February 22, 1732 on the Gregorian Calendar). In honor of the occasion - an American version of the light roadster, complete with New Departure Coaster brake, keyed one-piece-crank, coke bottle grips, and fabrikoid saddle.







__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

Last edited by SirMike1983; 02-20-17 at 08:58 PM.
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 09:45 PM
  #12573  
Niner9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1950 Rudge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did some work on the saddle today. Got it softened up and cleaned up pretty good I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1422.jpg (95.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1432.jpg (97.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1430.jpg (97.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1292.jpg (95.2 KB, 179 views)
Niner9 is offline  
Old 02-21-17, 05:44 AM
  #12574  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,451

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,169 Posts
Not a gem and I don't need another, but this one might be worth it for what appears to be the (unmentioned) alloy rim wheels.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/6012803377.html

~70's? Raliegh made in England - $60 (Fan/Museum District)



Raleigh with 3 speed internal hub. Handle bars, seat, and pedals are replacements. I know a shop 3 blocks down that will give you a flat bar for free which is more like what it came with original. Has front brakes only atm (center-pull.) Rides great and is quick. Large frame and Has a replica emergency air pump that rides on the down tube (not in the photo.)

Downsides:
-shift into 2nd is "touchy" probably just needs a tiny adjustment or lube
-Cheap Schwinn seat
-Front brake only
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-21-17, 06:23 AM
  #12575  
BigChief 
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 95 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Not a gem and I don't need another, but this one might be worth it for what appears to be the (unmentioned) alloy rim wheels.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/6012803377.html

~70's? Raliegh made in England - $60 (Fan/Museum District)



Raleigh with 3 speed internal hub. Handle bars, seat, and pedals are replacements. I know a shop 3 blocks down that will give you a flat bar for free which is more like what it came with original. Has front brakes only atm (center-pull.) Rides great and is quick. Large frame and Has a replica emergency air pump that rides on the down tube (not in the photo.)

Downsides:
-shift into 2nd is "touchy" probably just needs a tiny adjustment or lube
-Cheap Schwinn seat
-Front brake only
Well, it is a 50s frame, but 21". Looks like Raleigh pattern steel rims to me. If the wheels are original to the frame and can be cleaned up, that would make it worth 50 bucks. Hard to see in the picture, but it looks like they may be in decent shape.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.