Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 05-04-18, 08:06 PM
  #16551  
Junior Member
 
erileykc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 118

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This has to be a relatively frequently asked question but I just don't get the search system here on bike forums . Can anyone recommend a rear rack for a Tourist that would be both practical and a good match for the appearance? It's a 1980 so I'm not trying to go over board on recreating classic.

Thanks
erileykc is offline  
Old 05-04-18, 08:47 PM
  #16552  
Senior Member
 
Kilroy1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 614 Posts
@browngw and @BigChief

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be saving up for a DL-1 or comparable full roadster sooner rather than later. I'm really excited to try out such a bicycle. The only thing I've had that came close were American balloon-tire cruisers with full complements of accessories, but the idea of having a more slender, taller wheel set and generally better-quality construction seems like it will make a big difference. Cheers!

-Gregory
Kilroy1988 is offline  
Old 05-04-18, 08:50 PM
  #16553  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
@erileykc The DL-1 Tourist was a classic right to the bitter end in 1980. Unfortunately, it's tough to find parts for them. There's one place that makes custom rear carriers for them, but they're hand made so I don't expect they will be inexpensive
DL-1 rack
BigChief is offline  
Old 05-04-18, 09:02 PM
  #16554  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
@browngw and @BigChief

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be saving up for a DL-1 or comparable full roadster sooner rather than later. I'm really excited to try out such a bicycle. The only thing I've had that came close were American balloon-tire cruisers with full complements of accessories, but the idea of having a more slender, taller wheel set and generally better-quality construction seems like it will make a big difference. Cheers!

-Gregory
Don't forget to get back to us with some pictures when you do.
BigChief is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 04:51 AM
  #16555  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 240

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by erileykc
This has to be a relatively frequently asked question but I just don't get the search system here on bike forums . Can anyone recommend a rear rack for a Tourist that would be both practical and a good match for the appearance? It's a 1980 so I'm not trying to go over board on recreating classic.

Thanks
Some 200 odd pages back someone posted pics of their DL-1 project, and they'd managed to find locally (US) one of these racks
Looked really good and was a good fit.
arty dave is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:08 AM
  #16556  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Another local Toronto bike for sale.
A CCM Galaxie 3 Speed
Reasonably priced at $95.00 OBO.
Probably from 1969/70.
Could be a nice project for someone other than me...


gster is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:12 AM
  #16557  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
@browngw and @BigChief

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be saving up for a DL-1 or comparable full roadster sooner rather than later. I'm really excited to try out such a bicycle. The only thing I've had that came close were American balloon-tire cruisers with full complements of accessories, but the idea of having a more slender, taller wheel set and generally better-quality construction seems like it will make a big difference. Cheers!

-Gregory
Go to craigslist and do a saved search for Raleigh Tourist
If one pops up you'll get a notification
Tip:
Also search for Raliegh Tourist as people often
mis-spell Raleigh.
I found a very nice Superbe that way....
gster is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:38 AM
  #16558  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I've been using these MKS Sylvan touring pedals. Very pleased with them.
MKS Sylvan
You're right. I have a pair on one bike and I've been dumb to experiment with anything else. Not expensive and easy to service.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:40 AM
  #16559  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Here's a nice pair on Amazon.ca
for $200.00 + shipping!
I buy these locally for $25.00 (CDN) !
!!!
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:43 AM
  #16560  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
I finally got a proper saddlebag for my LTD-3, now I feel quite ready for the 3-speed tour.
Wherever you go I hope there's a pub.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:48 AM
  #16561  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I've been using these MKS Sylvan touring pedals. Very pleased with them.
MKS Sylvan
Am I remembering rightly that where the Sylvans now use rivets to hold the pedal cages they used to have screws?
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 07:12 AM
  #16562  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Just five bikes from the Wright Bros shop remain, which is ridiculous.
The more I think about this the more inexplicable it seems. The Wrights built and sold maybe 300 bikes in the late 1890s and in 1903 they became two of the most celebrated men on the planet. Yet people looked at a bicycle out of the Wright's shop and thought, "Oh that old piece of junk. Who'd ever be interested in that?" Doesn't make sense.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 07:29 AM
  #16563  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Am I remembering rightly that where the Sylvans now use rivets to hold the pedal cages they used to have screws?
The 2 pairs I have here are riveted. You can service the bearings. The joint at the inside bearing is very close and well fit. Dirt doesn't get in and the front has a threaded on cover. Very well made pedals.
BigChief is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 07:34 AM
  #16564  
Senior Member
 
Kilroy1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Go to craigslist and do a saved search for Raleigh Tourist
If one pops up you'll get a notification
Tip:
Also search for Raliegh Tourist as people often
mis-spell Raleigh.
I found a very nice Superbe that way....
Thanks for the tips, gster! And once I find something I'll certainly get back and share it here. Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 05-05-18 at 07:46 AM.
Kilroy1988 is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 08:16 AM
  #16565  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
The 2 pairs I have here are riveted. You can service the bearings. The joint at the inside bearing is very close and well fit. Dirt doesn't get in and the front has a threaded on cover. Very well made pedals.
The question I'm really dying to ask: Do you own the special wrench for the dust caps?
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 08:39 AM
  #16566  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Could be a nice project for someone other than me...
Things are stacking up a little on this end, too.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 06:56 PM
  #16567  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Finally came across an image of what I believe is a pair original early 50s handlebar grips used on Raleigh, in this case Rudge bikes. This is from an eBay ad for a very nice maroon short frame pre 55 gents Rudge. Boy, these are rare.




ebay rudge

Last edited by BigChief; 05-05-18 at 07:07 PM.
BigChief is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 08:04 PM
  #16568  
On the road
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 352 Posts
I like the MKS Sylvan for my Raleigh Grand Prix (1973). For 3-speeds, MKS is still making a traditional block pedal without reflectors - the 3000S.



I ordered two pairs from a seller last year because they offered a sale on the pedals that made up for the cost of shipping. It ended up being a good deal - the MKS 3000S pedals are much like the old 1950s-60s era pedals. The quality is good and they can be rebuilt (traditional end nuts, not rivets).
__________________
Classic American and British Roadsters, Utility Bikes, and Sporting Bikes (1935-1979):
https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 08:21 PM
  #16569  
like we used to say
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pinellas Trail
Posts: 130

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erileykc
This has to be a relatively frequently asked question but I just don't get the search system here on bike forums . Can anyone recommend a rear rack for a Tourist that would be both practical and a good match for the appearance? It's a 1980 so I'm not trying to go over board on recreating classic.

Thanks
A Pletscher or Wald rack would work aesthetically and both are inexpensive.
pass the peas is offline  
Old 05-05-18, 09:04 PM
  #16570  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
The question I'm really dying to ask: Do you own the special wrench for the dust caps?
Niagara sells them for $3.11, plus Niagara shipping. If you don't have one of those, you can use a Campagnolo tool #710 .

MKS makes some nice pedals. In addition to the touring pedals they make a shorter version whch they call "track". Appear to be exactly like the touring, but shorter. Too narrow, but I have a pair on my 56 Sports fake club bicycle.

Their road pedals are pretty ok copies of the old Campagnolo NR and SL pedals. They offer them with black cages like the SL and a pearly sort of satin finish which mimic the NR pedals. But, of course, they are no real match to the originals.

Above is a photo of an MKS road pedal NR copy with a #710 which was bought in, I believe, 1986. Getting the pic in the proper place isn't as easy for me as it used to be. Have to work on that.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 05-06-18, 07:16 AM
  #16571  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Niagara sells them for $3.11, plus Niagara shipping. If you don't have one of those, you can use a Campagnolo tool #710 .

MKS makes some nice pedals. In addition to the touring pedals they make a shorter version whch they call "track". Appear to be exactly like the touring, but shorter. Too narrow, but I have a pair on my 56 Sports fake club bicycle.

Their road pedals are pretty ok copies of the old Campagnolo NR and SL pedals. They offer them with black cages like the SL and a pearly sort of satin finish which mimic the NR pedals. But, of course, they are no real match to the originals.

Above is a photo of an MKS road pedal NR copy with a #710 which was bought in, I believe, 1986. Getting the pic in the proper place isn't as easy for me as it used to be. Have to work on that.
If I go for another set of Sylvans I'll get the wrench. Just looked at Mikashima Industrial Co., Ltd.'s website. It's a pretty amazing selection of pedals, just in the Sylvan line--15 including the Ezy (quick on/off) versions, not counting different colors. I have a set of the Ezy pedals on a foldcycle, they have screws holding the cages, that's what I was thinking of in that earlier post. I take it by "getting the pic in the proper place" you mean down low with pedals on the bike? Amen to that.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-06-18, 07:29 AM
  #16572  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
I like the MKS Sylvan for my Raleigh Grand Prix (1973). For 3-speeds, MKS is still making a traditional block pedal without reflectors - the 3000S.



I ordered two pairs from a seller last year because they offered a sale on the pedals that made up for the cost of shipping. It ended up being a good deal - the MKS 3000S pedals are much like the old 1950s-60s era pedals. The quality is good and they can be rebuilt (traditional end nuts, not rivets).
Indispensable. Still a lot of folks riding at the beach barefoot or with flipflops.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-06-18, 07:34 AM
  #16573  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Finally came across an image of what I believe is a pair original early 50s handlebar grips used on Raleigh, in this case Rudge bikes. This is from an eBay ad for a very nice maroon short frame pre 55 gents Rudge. Boy, these are rare.




ebay rudge
Amazing old bike. The grips look like hard rubber, not the plastic used now. I had a pair somewhat like these on a bike during the 60s, but a soft black rubber, not very durable. Now I remember, my hands would come away covered with black stuff.

Last edited by paulb_in_bkln; 05-06-18 at 07:38 AM.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 05-06-18, 10:37 AM
  #16574  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Eastman Roadster Update:
Awhile back I found a very nice Eastman leather saddle, the problem was finding a 3 rail saddle clamp...
Brooks has one at 19 pounds ($60.00 by the time it reached me) .
I managed to adapt a "flat" clamp that seems to work.


I just need to find some appropriate black grips and we'll call this one finished.
It's only been about 10 years...

I put this one together after seeing a Pashley Path Racer on display but couldn't afford the price.
Also has the MKS 3000 pedals.
gster is offline  
Old 05-06-18, 10:40 AM
  #16575  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
After months haphazard searching I've finally found a bike quote I remembered by the writer/traveler Eric Newby. From Round Ireland in Low Gear, 1987: "Ever since the 1890s, when for a time it was fashionable, though never as a competitive sport, cycling had been and still is hopelessly déclassé. Even today the only socially acceptable bike for a member of the British upper crust is one that looks as if it has been retrieved from a municipal rubbish dump, and probably has."
paulb_in_bkln is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.