Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 02-08-19, 07:29 AM
  #19176  
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 8,124
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
If I could wave a magic wand at my AW hubs I would leave the 1st to 2nd jump as is but bring the 2nd to 3rd jump down somewhat. (I would have a very powerful magic wand.) Does the FW fill in that wide gap between the AW's positions 2 and 3?
Strong magic required here. By very nature of it's design, this is a physical impossibility.1st and third use the same gear with the power flow reversed. In first the power flows from the ring gear to the planet carrier, and in 3rd, it flows from the planet carrier to the ring gear.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:53 AM
  #19177  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Strong magic required here. By very nature of it's design, this is a physical impossibility.1st and third use the same gear with the power flow reversed. In first the power flows from the ring gear to the planet carrier, and in 3rd, it flows from the planet carrier to the ring gear.
Even though I had my AG hub completely in pieces, I cannot quite visualize how the clutch changes the way the hub engages. In high gear, it was clear that the planet carrier was being engaged. In second, the clutch lifts off the planet carrier, but what is engaged at that point, and when it is pulled further out, what is the clutch doing?
carfreefamily is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 10:17 AM
  #19178  
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 8,124
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by carfreefamily
Even though I had my AG hub completely in pieces, I cannot quite visualize how the clutch changes the way the hub engages. In high gear, it was clear that the planet carrier was being engaged. In second, the clutch lifts off the planet carrier, but what is engaged at that point, and when it is pulled further out, what is the clutch doing?
In first and second gear, the star clutch is driving the ring gear. This video explains it. Apologies for the poor audio level. Some day, I will do a remake with a voice over.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 10:19 AM
  #19179  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,195
Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 6,788 Times in 2,637 Posts
Okay, not a 3-speed and not an IGH, but this 23" 5-speed Sprite on Boston's CL seems remarkably well preserved:



https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...809349183.html
nlerner is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 10:27 AM
  #19180  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by carfreefamily
Even though I had my AG hub completely in pieces, I cannot quite visualize how the clutch changes the way the hub engages. In high gear, it was clear that the planet carrier was being engaged. In second, the clutch lifts off the planet carrier, but what is engaged at that point, and when it is pulled further out, what is the clutch doing?
Here's a pretty good video on that subject.

BigChief is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 07:48 PM
  #19181  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
If I could wave a magic wand at my AW hubs I would leave the 1st to 2nd jump as is but bring the 2nd to 3rd jump down somewhat. (I would have a very powerful magic wand.) Does the FW fill in that wide gap between the AW's positions 2 and 3?
This is where a rear cog swap helps..
There're only 3 speeds to play with....

Last edited by gster; 02-08-19 at 08:32 PM.
gster is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 08:28 PM
  #19182  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 920

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Here's a pretty good video on that subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6v5K-2zWMI
Very interesting. So second gear is 1 to 1, and third is overdriven? This explains why some folk install a larger chain sprocket.
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 08:32 PM
  #19183  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Nice c.1950 23" Sports in Vermont. Can't see much in these photos. Missing original chainguard and pedals. Rims and saddle look good though. Good looking bike.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/d...799705338.html
BigChief is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:48 PM
  #19184  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hitsville USA
Posts: 263

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Well, thanks to you enablers, I am tearing into the 1964 Huffeigh Sportsman now. Got the cotters out with a modified chain breaker, and even got the crank out. Rust and crud inside. Good call I think on disassembly. I want to start with some grease, and in later years oil down the seat tube. After seeing the axle, it would seem that for oil to get to the bearings, one would be advised to put the bike on its side and work pedals, and then the other side. I think I may get the park tool HCW-11 so as not to have to use a punch and hammer again.

Yes, one pedal was quite stiff so that is apart now. Maybe take the steering head bearings out tomorrow. Can the rear hub bearings be serviced without taking the 3-speed mechanism apart? A bit challenging working on a 50+ year old bike, but a good winter project.
go on YouTube and search for bikeman4you schwinn racer restoration; in one of videos he repacks SA Aw hub bearings without tearing apart 3 speed transmission.
Slowride79 is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:51 PM
  #19185  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hitsville USA
Posts: 263

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Okay, not a 3-speed and not an IGH, but this 23" 5-speed Sprite on Boston's CL seems remarkably well preserved:



https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...809349183.html
I have the exact same in 21" frame ; that looks in great shape and very reasonable price; would get if I was near and didn't already have one. If you have hills that SA AW can't handle but like sports 'This is your bike.
Slowride79 is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 08:33 AM
  #19186  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
As reliable and simple these bikes might be, there are a lot of details that need to be right for them to work properly.
In particular, the shifting system.
I have an unmolested Suberebe in the garage that I use as my "control" for figuring out cable lengths and routing..
A nice graceful sweep of the cable from the trigger to the stop certainly helps.

The original cables came in different lengths depending on their application. I often see a bike with a shorter cable installed that clearly is too tight.
Both for function as well as aesthetics.

Last edited by gster; 02-09-19 at 09:11 AM.
gster is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 08:34 AM
  #19187  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Can the rear hub bearings be serviced without taking the 3-speed mechanism apart? A bit challenging working on a 50+ year old bike, but a good winter project.
Taking the old hub apart, getting it completely clean like new, and then reassembling is one of the most satisfying parts of owning one of these!
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 09:19 AM
  #19188  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Taking the old hub apart, getting it completely clean like new, and then reassembling is one of the most satisfying parts of owning one of these!
At first, I was hesitant to take one apart but finally took the plunge. The posted rebuild video really helps. Community bike shops will usually have a hub for a small fee ($5.00) that you can practice on, although they are easier to get apart when laced to a rim.
gster is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 09:19 AM
  #19189  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,360

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Okay, not a 3-speed and not an IGH, but this 23" 5-speed Sprite on Boston's CL seems remarkably well preserved:



https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...809349183.html
That is a nice survivor! It could be changed between a 3 or 5 speed with another rear wheel and gear changer if you were so inclined. Terrific it still has the bag and saddle. Wonderful chaingaurd too.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 10:34 AM
  #19190  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,515

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 397 Posts
Eventually

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Taking the old hub apart, getting it completely clean like new, and then reassembling is one of the most satisfying parts of owning one of these!
Eventually I will service the hub. A lot to do so far with this 64 to really bring it into half way decent riding condition.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 08:07 PM
  #19191  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Okay, not a 3-speed and not an IGH, but this 23" 5-speed Sprite on Boston's CL seems remarkably well preserved:



https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...809349183.html
Hey! That's a some crazy brake cable on that bike!
gster is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 07:09 AM
  #19192  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,558 Posts
Nice older 23" Sports, but it looks like that Brooks is about to give out.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...815697431.html

1960's Raleigh Sport 3speed bike english - $75 (Chesterfield, VA)







bicycle type: cruiser
frame size: 26''
wheel size: 26 in Really cool vintage 60's 3 speed English cruiser in great condition! 26inch classic bike that's a good size for someone 5ft 5 to 6ft tall. Needs a new inner-tube for the front wheel(only a few bucks). Call show contact info
to come by. 5502 Sherman Terrace.
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 08:41 AM
  #19193  
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,670
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 349 Posts
Wish I was nearby - itís a nice looking bike but the wheels (rims) and pedals alone would be worth it to me. And yeah - that tear on the nose looks bad - I had one I bought used like that thinking it would last - first ride I ended up sitting on the saddle frame within minutes. Good thing we have @rhm around to help us out of situations like that!
markk900 is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 08:46 AM
  #19194  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,558 Posts
I have facilitated in the past and am probably doomed to do so again.
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 08:46 AM
  #19195  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Nice older 23" Sports, but it looks like that Brooks is about to give out.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...815697431.html

1960's Raleigh Sport 3speed bike english - $75 (Chesterfield, VA)

bicycle type: cruiser
frame size: 26''
wheel size: 26 in Really cool vintage 60's 3 speed English cruiser in great condition! 26inch classic bike that's a good size for someone 5ft 5 to 6ft tall. Needs a new inner-tube for the front wheel(only a few bucks). Call show contact info
to come by. 5502 Sherman Terrace.
Here in NYC: $200 - $250.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 08:52 AM
  #19196  
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,670
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I have facilitated in the past and am probably doomed to do so again.
Not sure if you were offering but I am in Canada so thanks but no thanks. That $75 would quickly become several hundred!

but awfully kind of you to jump in like that!
markk900 is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 09:12 AM
  #19197  
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,900

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Anybody here have good results putting a square taper spindle into the OEM Raleigh/Brit 26 mm BB cups of a 1952 Rudge Aero Special? Are there combinations that do not work? I'm daydreaming of a vintage TA spindle with a Stronglight 49D or a vintage TA Cyclotourist crankset. I'd either use 48 tooth single chainring or a some kind of granny crankset, 48/32 or 48/28, perhaps. I would need to add a front derailleur, and some sort of chain tensioner in the rear.

Another opportunity might be an Avocet spindle with an Avocet crankarm set with a single or double (big with granny).

Known BB incompatibilities: 71 mm width versus 68 mm standard; 26 threads per inch original theading versus 24 threads per inch "modern" threading.

Goals:
get clean bearings into the BB,
eliminate the future hassle of non-destructive cotter extraction,
save some weight,
target 170mm crank arm,
option to provide for a granny gear with AW or FG hub.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 10:16 AM
  #19198  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Anybody here have good results putting a square taper spindle into the OEM Raleigh/Brit 26 mm BB cups of a 1952 Rudge Aero Special? Are there combinations that do not work? I'm daydreaming of a vintage TA spindle with a Stronglight 49D or a vintage TA Cyclotourist crankset. I'd either use 48 tooth single chainring or a some kind of granny crankset, 48/32 or 48/28, perhaps. I would need to add a front derailleur, and some sort of chain tensioner in the rear.

Another opportunity might be an Avocet spindle with an Avocet crankarm set with a single or double (big with granny).

Known BB incompatibilities: 71 mm width versus 68 mm standard; 26 threads per inch original theading versus 24 threads per inch "modern" threading.

Goals:
get clean bearings into the BB,
eliminate the future hassle of non-destructive cotter extraction,
save some weight,
target 170mm crank arm,
option to provide for a granny gear with AW or FG hub.
I'm sure you'll find the spindle. For my Peugeot mixte AW + cotterless conversion, I gave up and bought a cartridge BB from Velo Orange. It arrived last night and although 'spensive it's a nice piece. Light, also seems great quality, plus the man at VO threw in a couple allen-key fixing bolts at no extra charge.

The BB is going to decide the destiny of the (no longer) derelict ladies' Sports that followed me home a few days ago. It will rotate maybe an eighth of a turn or less. So the first job is get off at least the left side crank and find out what's going on in there.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 04:52 PM
  #19199  
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,900

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I'm sure you'll find the spindle. For my Peugeot mixte AW + cotterless conversion, I gave up and bought a cartridge BB from Velo Orange. It arrived last night and although 'spensive it's a nice piece. Light, also seems great quality, plus the man at VO threw in a couple allen-key fixing bolts at no extra charge.

The BB is going to decide the destiny of the (no longer) derelict ladies' Sports that followed me home a few days ago. It will rotate maybe an eighth of a turn or less. So the first job is get off at least the left side crank and find out what's going on in there.
That's about how much mine turns. I'm trying first to get all the old parts out and into a degrease bath, then see how badly worn they are.

Do you know the left and right stub lengths of the VO BB?
Road Fan is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 11:00 PM
  #19200  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
That's about how much mine turns. I'm trying first to get all the old parts out and into a degrease bath, then see how badly worn they are.

Do you know the left and right stub lengths of the VO BB?
18 mm each side. That's with the 110 mm spindle.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.