Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 10-20-19, 07:01 PM
  #21576  
Junior Member
 
erileykc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 116

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Is anyone else wondering about the source of this photo and its, uh, context?
Looks like a commentary on Brexit to me.
erileykc is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 07:49 PM
  #21577  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by erileykc
Looks like a commentary on Brexit to me.
That's what I was thinkin, but then my eyes were drawn to the attached kickstand.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 07:51 AM
  #21578  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
? Year: Raleigh Brake pad/holder

These pads (and other parts) came off of a Raleigh '40s Sports Tourist (actual year/model unknown). I'm trying to determine if this pad holder style had a definite start/stop year in order to limit the range of years that it may have been manufactured. I'm very dubious about the serial number (indicates early '30s, 1933) as a reasonably accurate indicator of year. It seems that everything on this bike indicates a very late '30s-mid '40s: "no date" AW rear hub ('41-'42), GC3 bar mounted shifter ('38-'47), Dynohub and Dynohub Headlight ('36-late '40s). It seems odd that everything would have been removed from an early frame to be replaced by components from about 10 years later, thus my feeling that this is a 1940s bike. I do not know if the Dynohub is 12, 8, or 6 volt (no image match to any model); which would help with the year range, no photographic evidence to match my Dynohub to a known year/model. I hope the brakes changed enough to allow for a more accurate dating of this bike. Also, I'm curious as to the BB size/threads. My Hercules has a 68 mm shell and I believe 24tpi, but I believe this BB is wider (not measured yet) with a different thread pitch (71 mm, 26tpi?). Is this the same BB that would be in my 1970 Raleigh Sports?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20191018_142221.jpg (1.07 MB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20191018_143021.jpg (743.6 KB, 398 views)
HPL is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 08:15 AM
  #21579  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That's what I was thinkin, but then my eyes were drawn to the attached kickstand.
My eyes were drawn elsewhere....
gster is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 09:05 AM
  #21580  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,018

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
My eyes were drawn elsewhere....
I'm pretty sure you are both talking about the same set of legs.
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 09:40 AM
  #21581  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Hercules Head Badge Year(s)

I'm trying to determine the range of years that this head badge was used. I believe it to be earlier than 1948 since I've seen models from '48 and later with the green "shield" style badge. Seems like I've also seen a similar style used on much later models ('70s/'80s ?). Any feedback is as usual greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00404_jBMHOLu3Voy_1200x900.jpg (45.8 KB, 408 views)
HPL is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 09:50 AM
  #21582  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
I'm trying to determine the range of years that this head badge was used. I believe it to be earlier than 1948 since I've seen models from '48 and later with the green "shield" style badge. Seems like I've also seen a similar style used on much later models ('70s/'80s ?). Any feedback is as usual greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Here's a 1950 Hercules of mine with the same badge.

While the badge itself is metal, the centre medallian is some sort
of plastic that doesn't seem to age well

Last edited by gster; 10-22-19 at 10:01 AM.
gster is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 10:59 AM
  #21583  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked 2,012 Times in 1,237 Posts
The badges and chainrings on Hercules went back and forth a couple of times depending on the market. I have a prewar Herc with the circular H badge as well as a 40's model with the same but a Hercules chainring (not the H).
From the '37 Catalogue
Attached Images
File Type: png
37 Herc.png (118.8 KB, 422 views)
clubman is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 04:08 PM
  #21584  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That's what I was thinkin, but then my eyes were drawn to the attached kickstand.
It would have been awesome to be at a bike show and watch her signing that picture for a line of 12 year old boys.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 10:44 AM
  #21585  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
It would have been awesome to be at a bike show and watch her signing that picture for a line of 12 year old boys.
I'd line up now...
gster is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 04:31 PM
  #21586  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
I'd line up now...
Sweet bird of youth... I mean "yute."
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Likes For paulb_in_bkln:
Old 10-24-19, 06:45 PM
  #21587  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hi,

apologies if read poorly, and you already have info re the hub. It is a GH8, 1938 intro, and yes deleted in'42. Post GH12, pre GH6
Jeff Rowse is offline  
Old 10-24-19, 07:06 PM
  #21588  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 302

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 55 Posts
1954 Hercules Tourist Headbadge

Originally Posted by HPL
I'm trying to determine the range of years that this head badge was used. I believe it to be earlier than 1948 since I've seen models from '48 and later with the green "shield" style badge. Seems like I've also seen a similar style used on much later models ('70s/'80s ?). Any feedback is as usual greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
For what it's worth, here is my Herc Tourist, a 1954 (going by the hub date). Neither the headbadge you have nor the typical green one.




And this from velobase:
CriticalThought is offline  
Old 10-25-19, 01:27 AM
  #21589  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Here's a 1950 Hercules of mine with the same badge.

While the badge itself is metal, the centre medallian is some sort
of plastic that doesn't seem to age well
Originally Posted by clubman
The badges and chainrings on Hercules went back and forth a couple of times depending on the market. I have a prewar Herc with the circular H badge as well as a 40's model with the same but a Hercules chainring (not the H).
From the '37 Catalogue
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
For what it's worth, here is my Herc Tourist, a 1954 (going by the hub date). Neither the headbadge you have nor the typical green one.




And this from velobase:
Thanks for the input and examples! Definitely the original badge for the frame based on the rivets looking old and unmolested. Managed to find some paint missing that shows the original black. I had tried Velobase, but it was down at the time. Seems like the waters are pretty muddy regarding head badges and dates of use. I'm just going to build it as best as I can, hopefully finding "period" parts or good substitutes.

Thanks again; new frame "Krapf" coming soon, but not this forum.
HPL is offline  
Old 10-25-19, 07:31 AM
  #21590  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Thanks for the input and examples! Definitely the original badge for the frame based on the rivets looking old and unmolested. Managed to find some paint missing that shows the original black. I had tried Velobase, but it was down at the time. Seems like the waters are pretty muddy regarding head badges and dates of use. I'm just going to build it as best as I can, hopefully finding "period" parts or good substitutes.

Thanks again; new frame "Krapf" coming soon, but not this forum.
That's one of the the things I really like about these bikes.
The ability to use parts spanning several decades.
The ability to restore/rebuild with what you have available.
A period correct restoration is desirable but can also be very expensive
and time consuming.
I see nothing wrong with taking a 50's frame adding a wheelset from
the 60's and some calipers from the 70's.
I have a 1930 Hercules that I re did last year.
The frame, seat post and brake linkage are original to the bike
everything else has been replaced with more modern components.
In this case, 1970 is considered modern...

This bike is still not actually 'finished"..
gster is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 07:43 AM
  #21591  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
That's one of the the things I really like about these bikes.
The ability to use parts spanning several decades.
The ability to restore/rebuild with what you have available.
A period correct restoration is desirable but can also be very expensive
and time consuming.
I see nothing wrong with taking a 50's frame adding a wheelset from
the 60's and some calipers from the 70's.
I have a 1930 Hercules that I re did last year.
The frame, seat post and brake linkage are original to the bike
everything else has been replaced with more modern components.
In this case, 1970 is considered modern...This bike is still not actually 'finished"..
Fully agree gster, nice build. I have a couple of '50s Italian racers that, with the exception of putting carbon parts and maybe indexed shifting, look just fine with '70s/'80s components. It seems, with rare exception, that none of my bikes are really finished; even when "finished". I think I have the same problem with relationships, I think I can always make it better even when it's well enough left alone. Always appreciating your comments and insight; as long as you guys don't distract me with over the knee boots and blonde hair; now making me want to watch some classic British telly. Is there a Doctor in the House?
HPL is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 07:59 AM
  #21592  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Fully agree gster, nice build. I have a couple of '50s Italian racers that, with the exception of putting carbon parts and maybe indexed shifting, look just fine with '70s/'80s components. It seems, with rare exception, that none of my bikes are really finished; even when "finished". I think I have the same problem with relationships, I think I can always make it better even when it's well enough left alone. Always appreciating your comments and insight; as long as you guys don't distract me with over the knee boots and blonde hair; now making me want to watch some classic British telly. Is there a Doctor in the House?
Well, you know...
Some Mothers' Do 'ave em....
gster is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 10:43 AM
  #21593  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Rowse
Hi,

apologies if read poorly, and you already have info re the hub. It is a GH8, 1938 intro, and yes deleted in'42. Post GH12, pre GH6
Hi Jeff,

Is your comment in reference to this particular Dynohub?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190909_114955.jpg (1.62 MB, 296 views)
HPL is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 11:08 AM
  #21594  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,018

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Is your comment in reference to this particular Dynohub?
This may seem like a silly question to those of you that already know, but does an English made Dynohub use a positive, or negative ground?
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 11:57 AM
  #21595  
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 434

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
This may seem like a silly question to those of you that already know, but does an English made Dynohub use a positive, or negative ground?
Only silly not to ask. I'm new to this "Dynohub" scene; I've yet to test mine, but being that it has two terminals (I assume isolated from "chassis ground"), you would have to test for polarity (have not looked at terminals for +/- marks) and connect a "grounding lead" to the frame for whichever polarity you desire, and/or connect to the accessory using proper polarity. Sorry for my relative ignorance in this matter, but I have bigger fish to fry on the bike mechanically; I was mostly using as a dating reference based on the model/voltage. That being said, when I do test it, and if it functions; I'll know its polarity and voltage, and thus it's model and tangentially my bike's approximate date of manufacture if it, as I now assume, is original to the bike. I'm sure we'll both be educated by someone here who already has extensive experience with this system.
HPL is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 12:22 PM
  #21596  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,854

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,274 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
This may seem like a silly question to those of you that already know, but does an English made Dynohub use a positive, or negative ground?
Both; they generate alternating current.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-26-19, 12:40 PM
  #21597  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,018

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Both; they generate alternating current.
One of the early alternaters?
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 03:36 PM
  #21598  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,979

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Columbia 3- Speed

I picked up a Columbia 3 speed this morning for cheap. I have already stripped it of usable parts and will donate the remainder through my LBS to the local coop. I ended up with two decent steel wheels (Sturmey AW hub, shifter, and ribbed cable housing), Weinmann sidepull brakes and levers, grips, and a Cyclepro vinyl saddle in great condition. It also had some decent fenders and a Wald basket that was bent a bit, but I have not seen too many baskets that were pristine.

The front wheel spokes are nice, the rear wheel spokes are nasty so we'll see when they are clean.
I rode the bike before I stripped the parts. My take is that:

The bike works and rides well
I would keep it if I didn't have too many bikes already
The frame is dead and heavy
The Columbia headbadge is nice - Westfield, Mass
I think they made better headbadges than bikes.
__________________
I hope...that all mankind will at length…have reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats. Ben Franklin
dweenk is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 04:45 PM
  #21599  
Senior Member
 
AL NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I couldn’t help myself...
Spring here, and I had to take this photo of the ol’BSA
AL NZ is offline  
Likes For AL NZ:
Old 10-26-19, 05:08 PM
  #21600  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
One of the early alternaters?
The dyno hub doesn't ground to the frame like bottle generators. 2 wires run to each lamp.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Likes For BigChief:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.