Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 11-27-19, 04:53 PM
  #21851  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
According to the serial number, mine is Nottingham built. My granddad bought it new in Ottawa so I know the vinyl seat was on it from the shop.
From England to Canada and then Australia....
That bike's a world traveller.
gster is offline  
Old 11-27-19, 05:44 PM
  #21852  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 106

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
From England to Canada and then Australia....
That bike's a world traveller.
More than you know! My granddad was a diplomat and he bought the bike for personal transport during postings in Bangladesh, then India, Beijing, Barbados and finally Bangkok. He gave it to me when he retired in the mid 90's, and I used it as my commuter in Toronto up until '04 when I moved down under. Now it enjoys retirement as my cruiser and gravel path explorer.
Commando is offline  
Likes For Commando:
Old 11-27-19, 06:41 PM
  #21853  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbomber
Yeah, that's the key to making the CB160 a really fun ride!

I was working in a motorcycle shop at the time (1999), and bought the 160 and a 100cc 2T Yamaha enduro from the owner in a package deal for $600. They were both bikes that were brought in for service, then abandoned by their owners. I didn't know the problems when I bought them, but the Honda turned out to have a charging issue. I worked around that by riding either on high beam, or with headlight off. Seems Honda thoughtfully engineered a stator which changed it's output based on demand - demand being dictated by headlight switch position. Anyway, I knew little about old Hondas when I got it, and was riding it like one would drive a car. No tach, but I imagine I was shifting in the 4k range. Anyway, a neighborhood motorcycle guru convinced me that I not only could wind the thing out, but that the bike would like it. So anyway, I was riding the thing like a GP bike, and having loads of fun. I rode with a couple of friends to a party several towns away, under the condition we would take backroads, as I'm on a 160, and they were on a '79 T140 and a '00 CBR600. I got good and drunk, as youngsters often do. I was yelled at for dirt tracking the 160 around the house we were at, and later did a smoky burnout on a piece of plywood (I have a photo somewhere I'll add if I find it). Then the ride home. My friends without telling me decided to take the freeway home. As I had no clue where I was, nor any GPS or map, I felt (keep in mind my condition) I had no choice but to follow them on the interstate (a road I was well familiar with). Anyway, I felt they were going too slowly for my tastes (the guy on the CBR just got the bike, and was riding on a permit), so I logically felt the thing to do was to get into the inside lane, pass them, and make my way home as briskly as possible. So there I was, tucked down behind the bars on i84 on this little Honda, completely maxed out for 12 miles or so. No helmet, no jacket, probably no gloves. Occasionally passing cars (I think we figured out this thing would do 75 on flat ground with no wind). Made it to my exit, and the little Honda had the smell of a warm engine, and the pipes were making all kinds of clattering sounds as they cooled off. But the bike continued to ride perfectly for the rest of the time I owned it.


A cup of bleach always helps...
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 11-27-19, 06:42 PM
  #21854  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
More than you know! My granddad was a diplomat and he bought the bike for personal transport during postings in Bangladesh, then India, Beijing, Barbados and finally Bangkok. He gave it to me when he retired in the mid 90's, and I used it as my commuter in Toronto up until '04 when I moved down under. Now it enjoys retirement as my cruiser and gravel path explorer.
Another photo to refresh our memory would help.
gster is offline  
Old 11-28-19, 07:15 PM
  #21855  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 106

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Another photo to refresh our memory would help.
Well, if you insist. I really should take a better photo one day. This is it a few years while still in kid-hauler mode, we'd spend whole days travelling around and exploring. Dirt paths, creek crossings, hills (a bit more walking than usual), anywhere that took our fancy. Whoever says the AW can't handle a heavy load? I eventually fitted a steering damper from Velo Orange to help with the weight of all the accessories that come with a young kid that were loaded in the Wald basket. The bike is currently back to almost standard, with the original rear rack back on, the basket is on another bike now, and I have have fitted a B66. The front DynoHub disintegrated about 10 years ago so I re-laced with a standard hub. I still have all the original lights. No further plans other than lacing up some alloy rims I've got... and riding heaps.

Commando is offline  
Likes For Commando:
Old 11-28-19, 07:24 PM
  #21856  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,870

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,073 Times in 1,263 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
I really should take a better photo one day.
You're kidding. This wins the unofficial Pic of the Week.
We used a Superbe with Rhode Gear rear seat and the small Wald on the front and it was a great.
clubman is offline  
Likes For clubman:
Old 11-28-19, 08:48 PM
  #21857  
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 28,602

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,534 Times in 2,141 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
The bike is currently back to almost standard, with the original rear rack back on, the basket is on another bike now, and I have have fitted a B66. The front DynoHub disintegrated about 10 years ago so I re-laced with a standard hub. I still have all the original lights. No further plans other than lacing up some alloy rims I've got... and riding heaps.
Question - is that double kickstand a 24" version? I've got the 26" version on my '80 Sports, and it lifts the bike up quite a bit more than that.




A level one would be quite neat - tempted to snap up a shorter one on eBay if the 24" works this well on a Sports.

-Kurt
__________________












cudak888 is offline  
Old 11-28-19, 09:23 PM
  #21858  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 106

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
You're kidding. This wins the unofficial Pic of the Week.
We used a Superbe with Rhode Gear rear seat and the small Wald on the front and it was a great.
He he, thanks mate!
Commando is offline  
Old 11-28-19, 09:25 PM
  #21859  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 106

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Question - is that double kickstand a 24" version? I've got the 26" version on my '80 Sports, and it lifts the bike up quite a bit more than that.

A level one would be quite neat - tempted to snap up a shorter one on eBay if the 24" works this well on a Sports.

-Kurt
Sorry Kurt, that stand has been on the bike for as long as I can remember so I don't know what it is. I can tell you that it used to lift a bit higher but it's worn past its use-by date now. I'm planning on getting a new one.
Commando is offline  
Old 11-28-19, 09:28 PM
  #21860  
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 28,602

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,534 Times in 2,141 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
Sorry Kurt, that stand has been on the bike for as long as I can remember so I don't know what it is. I can tell you that it used to lift a bit higher but it's worn past its use-by date now. I'm planning on getting a new one.
That might be it then.

If you have a chance though, check the top plate. They're marked with the size.

-Kurt
__________________












cudak888 is offline  
Old 11-28-19, 09:44 PM
  #21861  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 106

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
That might be it then.

If you have a chance though, check the top plate. They're marked with the size.

-Kurt
Ah, ok. I should be able to have a look on Tuesday.
When I replace it, I'll just be getting an adjustable stand like this one from Velo Orange
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...uble-kickstand
Commando is offline  
Likes For Commando:
Old 11-28-19, 11:26 PM
  #21862  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 920

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
This is it a few years while still in kid-hauler mode,
Ah, now that's cute. I'm sure she will remember those days.
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:11 AM
  #21863  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando
Well, if you insist. I really should take a better photo one day. This is it a few years while still in kid-hauler mode, we'd spend whole days travelling around and exploring. Dirt paths, creek crossings, hills (a bit more walking than usual), anywhere that took our fancy. Whoever says the AW can't handle a heavy load? I eventually fitted a steering damper from Velo Orange to help with the weight of all the accessories that come with a young kid that were loaded in the Wald basket. The bike is currently back to almost standard, with the original rear rack back on, the basket is on another bike now, and I have have fitted a B66. The front DynoHub disintegrated about 10 years ago so I re-laced with a standard hub. I still have all the original lights. No further plans other than lacing up some alloy rims I've got... and riding heaps.

My Canadian Superbe has the same eyelets/routing for the rear brake cable.
Yes, great photo.
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 11-29-19, 08:50 AM
  #21864  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I plucked the wheel/hub from yet another derelict, decomposing Raleigh. Dekalb Ave. Can't yet read year of origin. Probably 70s. Forty spoke AW. Can you have a mania without being a maniac?
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 10:34 AM
  #21865  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
That might be it then.

If you have a chance though, check the top plate. They're marked with the size.

-Kurt
Kurt,

Esge/Pletscher makes a universal double stand. You just cut off what you don't need. Max length is 320mm.
dweenk is offline  
Likes For dweenk:
Old 11-29-19, 02:17 PM
  #21866  
Senior Member
 
Ged117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 592

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Liked 502 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I plucked the wheel/hub from yet another derelict, decomposing Raleigh. Dekalb Ave. Can't yet read year of origin. Probably 70s. Forty spoke AW. Can you have a mania without being a maniac?
You're the hero Gotham deserves. When I liberated the '79 Sports from its resting place, I knew I was getting some parts that would be useful again. The frame went to a co-op, where another bike obsessed person slapped on a wheelset with another AW, and got it back out in the street for a person in need of decent transportation.
One of these days you'll find a 36h hub, or an AG, or FG.
Ged117 is offline  
Likes For Ged117:
Old 11-29-19, 03:54 PM
  #21867  
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 28,602

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,534 Times in 2,141 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Kurt,

Esge/Pletscher makes a universal double stand. You just cut off what you don't need. Max length is 320mm.
I know; just curiosity more than anything else.

I've got a few projects that I'd rather put the Jumbo on, given the opportunity (and the disposable cash!). Nothing's flipping over with that thing...

-Kurt
__________________












cudak888 is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 04:21 PM
  #21868  
Overdoing projects
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, former republic of the Netherlands
Posts: 2,441

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,314 Times in 709 Posts
Who likes a late 80's mini documentary about Sturmey Archer and their history and their hubs?
JaccoW is offline  
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-29-19, 07:12 PM
  #21869  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Who likes a late 80's mini documentary about Sturmey Archer and their history and their hubs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3QJTTcDXJo
When the music started I thought it might be a Depeche Mode video.....
gster is offline  
Likes For gster:
Old 11-29-19, 07:35 PM
  #21870  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Who likes a late 80's mini documentary about Sturmey Archer and their history and their hubs?
I wondered if Ahnold might make a cameo appearance at that factory. Think this was made after the sale to Sunrace, or before?
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:44 PM
  #21871  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
You're the hero Gotham deserves. When I liberated the '79 Sports from its resting place, I knew I was getting some parts that would be useful again. The frame went to a co-op, where another bike obsessed person slapped on a wheelset with another AW, and got it back out in the street for a person in need of decent transportation.
One of these days you'll find a 36h hub, or an AG, or FG.
Hub's from 1969. Half a century. Just picked off the street. In 1969 what could I have expected to find on the street from 1919? Time seems to mean less and less. My radar for these derelicts is pretty sharp so if there's something a little more exotic out there, I will find it.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:51 PM
  #21872  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 998
Liked 469 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Hub's from 1969. Half a century. Just picked off the street. In 1969 what could I have expected to find on the street from 1919? Time seems to mean less and less. My radar for these derelicts is pretty sharp so if there's something a little more exotic out there, I will find it.
Or, what could you expect to find on the streets from 2019 in 2069 that is still a totally functional and reliable piece of hardware?
jackbombay is offline  
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 11-29-19, 08:45 PM
  #21873  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Or, what could you expect to find on the streets from 2019 in 2069 that is still a totally functional and reliable piece of hardware?
Nothing bike related made from carbon fiber, that's for sure.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 08:47 PM
  #21874  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I plucked the wheel/hub from yet another derelict, decomposing Raleigh. Dekalb Ave. Can't yet read year of origin. Probably 70s. Forty spoke AW. Can you have a mania without being a maniac?
I know where there's another one, too. But there's cops and cameras. I don't know if I dare.
paulb_in_bkln is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 08:54 PM
  #21875  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,870

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,073 Times in 1,263 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I know where there's another one, too. But there's cops and cameras. I don't know if I dare.
If you really need an SA hub or wheel, ask the forum. Cops? No.
clubman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.