Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 03-13-20, 12:11 PM
  #22326  
Phyllo-buster
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,841

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Its a durable tire, but IME slow and a harsher ride than most of the new offerings.
No doubt about that. Since I gave up on being fast, I just wanna look good.
clubman is offline  
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-13-20, 04:09 PM
  #22327  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Too hot to ride today. Had some photoshop fun in the air conditioning. Thought I'd share with my friends here.



__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 12:14 PM
  #22328  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Too hot to ride today. Had some photoshop fun in the air conditioning. Thought I'd share with my friends here.



Quite timely, all things considered...
I'm currently in Mexico and there's very little concern here at the moment.
I'm not sure if I'll make it back to Canada on schedule with all the trouble....
If gas shortages develope we can all make do on our bikes.....
gster is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 01:36 PM
  #22329  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Quite timely, all things considered...
I'm currently in Mexico and there's very little concern here at the moment.
I'm not sure if I'll make it back to Canada on schedule with all the trouble....
If gas shortages develope we can all make do on our bikes.....
There should be plenty of gas and diesel around as so many people are not driving.
jackbombay is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 12:15 PM
  #22330  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Yes, for the first time in years I'm seeing gas under $2. Hardly any traffic. Not many bright spots to be found here but my daily rides will be safer.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Old 03-21-20, 04:24 PM
  #22331  
Senior Member
 
Ged117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 578

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 190 Posts
Hark! The first Raleigh Superbe ride of Spring

I took my first three-speed ride of the year. This has been a day of bike building (Peugeot AO8 commuter) and cooking, and I had some time before supper to go out into the neighborhoods. This thing rides perfectly. The AG ticks along very quietly. I topped it up with a little 0W20, ditto for the shifter, pumped the tires, and I was off. I'm going to find a taller stem though. I need to raise the saddle higher for my knees.




Last edited by Ged117; 03-21-20 at 05:08 PM.
Ged117 is offline  
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-22-20, 09:30 AM
  #22332  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
I took my first three-speed ride of the year. This has been a day of bike building (Peugeot AO8 commuter) and cooking, and I had some time before supper to go out into the neighborhoods. This thing rides perfectly. The AG ticks along very quietly. I topped it up with a little 0W20, ditto for the shifter, pumped the tires, and I was off. I'm going to find a taller stem though. I need to raise the saddle higher for my knees.



Nice work!
Another shot of that derailleur set up would be good.
gster is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 09:37 AM
  #22333  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Some recent kijij postings in Toronto
Raleigh Folder $115.00

1960's ladies Robin Hood in very nice shape @ $120.00

And a homemade Path Racer that could be a British bike @ $300.00

Last edited by gster; 03-22-20 at 08:16 PM.
gster is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 09:48 AM
  #22334  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO53
Just because it "appears" to be abandoned, it might not be-you could get arrested for theft. I'd be careful parting it out or cutting the chain-surveillance cameras everywhere and this could be a big "uh-oh..." moment you can't take back for an old bike.
Bicycle LIberation! Take it. Its current owner abandoned and neglected it. You will give it better home. It will live and not die to neglect. But yes, make sure no one is around when you cut the chain. But ethically, morally, you are right.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 06:45 PM
  #22335  
Senior Member
 
Ged117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 578

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Nice work!
Another shot of that derailleur set up would be good.
Ask and ye shall receive. The Cyclo 3 speed is a neat piece of mechanical history. It is finicky to operate, but I really like how it expands the gear possibilities. It is also another cool talking point for this bike. I have to find a long stem though and put some foam above the saddle rails - the leather is too soft and so it's not very comfortable.


Ged117 is offline  
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-22-20, 08:02 PM
  #22336  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Ask and ye shall receive. The Cyclo 3 speed is a neat piece of mechanical history. It is finicky to operate, but I really like how it expands the gear possibilities. It is also another cool talking point for this bike. I have to find a long stem though and put some foam above the saddle rails - the leather is too soft and so it's not very comfortable.


What does that hub look like with the 3 cogs removed?

What is the rear axle spacing?

This is super cool, thanks for posting pictures!!!!!!
jackbombay is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 08:18 PM
  #22337  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Ask and ye shall receive. The Cyclo 3 speed is a neat piece of mechanical history. It is finicky to operate, but I really like how it expands the gear possibilities. It is also another cool talking point for this bike. I have to find a long stem though and put some foam above the saddle rails - the leather is too soft and so it's not very comfortable.


Yes,
Thanks.
Very unique.
gster is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 09:23 PM
  #22338  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I've posted these on BF at some point in the past, but I like these photos, me on my resto mod 1963 Hercules riding around lake tahoe.





At ~40 MPH here,
jackbombay is offline  
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-23-20, 10:10 AM
  #22339  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
A late 70's Raleigh for sale in Toronto @ $150.00


Although I can't imagine anyone going out these days to look at vintage bikes.......
gster is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 12:15 PM
  #22340  
Senior Member
 
Ged117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 578

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
What does that hub look like with the 3 cogs removed?

What is the rear axle spacing?

This is super cool, thanks for posting pictures!!!!!!
Originally Posted by gster
Yes,
Thanks.
Very unique.
No problem. The Superbe was my first project. I've learned a lot thanks to this forum. The axle is 6 1/2". Owning lighter bicycles I wouldn't want to take this old fella on longer trips, but it is nice for day rides around the city and along our river paths. It also just turned 70 years old, and I've just turned 30. It is fun to ride around on a machine that is ten years older than my Dad.

It is an AG hub so wide-ratio three-speed with the generator coil and magnet. It puts out electrons, I just have to re-wire the FSU with a new bridge rectifier and install the lamps with LED bulbs. Here is a photo from Google:

Ged117 is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 12:37 PM
  #22341  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
No problem. The Superbe was my first project. I've learned a lot thanks to this forum. The axle is 6 1/2". Owning lighter bicycles I wouldn't want to take this old fella on longer trips, but it is nice for day rides around the city and along our river paths. It also just turned 70 years old, and I've just turned 30. It is fun to ride around on a machine that is ten years older than my Dad.

It is an AG hub so wide-ratio three-speed with the generator coil and magnet. It puts out electrons, I just have to re-wire the FSU with a new bridge rectifier and install the lamps with LED bulbs. Here is a photo from Google:

I guess the question is:
Is that a three cog cluster or
three separate cogs?
gster is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 09:40 PM
  #22342  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7345348185011/

thumpism is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 05:37 PM
  #22343  
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,240
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I've posted these on BF at some point in the past, but I like these photos, me on my resto mod 1963 Hercules riding around lake tahoe.





At ~40 MPH here,
That's great, looks like fun. Maybe someday I can get back into traveling to new and exciting places to ride. Although, these days it will have to be flatter terrain than this.
__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Likes For BigChief:
Old 03-24-20, 07:34 PM
  #22344  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That's great, looks like fun. Maybe someday I can get back into traveling to new and exciting places to ride. Although, these days it will have to be flatter terrain than this.
There is separate bike path around 30 miles or so of Lake Tahoe (the northwest corner) and that is actually quite flat as it follows the shore to a large degree, beautiful place to pedal a bike!
jackbombay is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 08:25 PM
  #22345  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I just looked on gogle and there is much less bike trail than I thought around lake tahoe, only ~6 miles worth,

jackbombay is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 08:06 AM
  #22346  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Who's Kidding Who?
Three speed "Collector's" bike for sale
$800.00!


Perhaps its a typo....
gster is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 04:34 AM
  #22347  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 52

Bikes: Miele Latina, Worksman INB, Rapido Eska Folder, Raleigh Superbe, Raleigh Sprite, Soma Stanyan 650b, VeloSolex 3800, Raleigh Competition GS, CTC Supercycle, Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Who's Kidding Who?
Three speed "Collector's" bike for sale
$800.00!


Perhaps its a typo....
I got an identical one (even had the bars turned up) this past summer for $30. I paid too much.
Bomarc is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 07:27 AM
  #22348  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomarc
I got an identical one (even had the bars turned up) this past summer for $30. I paid too much.
A good colour.
gster is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 07:34 AM
  #22349  
Senior Member
 
gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,571

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
here's another Glider for sale in Toronto

A good looking example but a price tag of $350.00....
gster is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 12:53 PM
  #22350  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 920

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomarc
I got an identical one (even had the bars turned up) this past summer for $30. I paid too much.
Haha, I was going to say $50 bux max.
Ballenxj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.