Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 10-01-12, 12:59 PM
  #526  
Member
 
banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 1983' SC. I had posted it on the vintage page but thought people would enjoy it here as well. When I got this bike it appeared everything on it was original including the rotted tires. I changed out the gum hoods, put panera TG tires on it and will re-wrap the bars maybe tomorrow. Got some type of clicking going on from the BB so I'll need to rebuild that or replace with a cartride this winter. Driving me crazy biking around listening to the click that only I can hear... Sounds like a scene from a movie where only the crazy guy can here the voices.... :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07370.jpg (108.4 KB, 426 views)
banger is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 12:31 PM
  #527  
Member
 
banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK as promised. Here is the wrap I completed today. Now just the annoying BB to change out. I'll wait till I can't ride anymore when snow is on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07374.jpg (99.8 KB, 432 views)
banger is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 02:00 PM
  #528  
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I aksed this question on 7-1-12,

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Course!/page21

I will asked it again!

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE 1985 RALEIGH SUPER COURSE, THE ONE WITH THE CHROME HEADTUBE**************************************************

It seems like this year (1985) Super Course is a real, RARE BIRD..

I have the other 3 of the 1985 Raleigh Sportbikes, all with the chrome headtube.
The Prestige, The Competition, and the Grand Prix. The Super Course the next after the Competition and the Grand Prix being the last.

https://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleigh...5/pages/1.html


cehowardGS is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 02:35 PM
  #529  
Senior Member
 
Michael Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hurricane Alley , Florida
Posts: 3,903

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Kurt had one a while back, sold it. It was 60cm too, I think.
Michael Angelo is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 02:51 PM
  #530  
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Kurt had one a while back, sold it. It was 60cm too, I think.
Kurt has all the good stuff.. grrrr.

I did find one on Yakaz, and like I said, this is a RARE BIRD. It is blue, chrome headtube and forks, and "super course" on on the REAR of the toptube, like the rest of my 85 Raleighs..

https://us.yakaz.com/posts/000aee0c7loqbaac

Picture of the rare bird..
cehowardGS is offline  
Old 10-04-12, 01:04 PM
  #531  
Senior Member
 
BRAZUCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 238

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There is one in Indy but kinda pricey in my opinion $850 asking. You can see it on the link below:

BRAZUCA is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 01:13 PM
  #532  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone! Just picked this guy up today for a cheap price,
considering it has literally everything original side the missing Brooks.

Looks to be in rather nice condition. Any help to pinpoint a year model on this guy?
I've read all over on it and best I can guess is 'early 70's'

Simplex front and rear derailleurs, Strong-light crankset. Has what appears as an "11" on the bottom bracket.

(Sorry for larger images)








Last edited by Aperturae; 10-11-12 at 01:20 PM.
Aperturae is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 01:36 PM
  #533  
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,330

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 279 Posts
Nice one. Looks like a '73 to me: https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_cat_73.html
-J
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 08:22 PM
  #534  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Nice one. Looks like a '73 to me: https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_cat_73.html
-J
Possibly, though the 'Raleigh' font is different on my bike from the brochure,
as well as no 'Raleigh' on the lower rear arms.
6 digit serial would point to 1972, but I'm still not positive.
The cursive 'Raleigh' on the tube puts it between 69 and 72.

Last edited by Aperturae; 10-11-12 at 08:28 PM.
Aperturae is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 08:22 PM
  #535  
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Nice one. Looks like a '73 to me: https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_cat_73.html
-J
I think earlier, as it has the script Raleigh decal on the downtube. 71 or 72?

https://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleigh...talog-1972.pdf
'72 looks pretty good to me. Kurt might be able to nail it down with the serial #.
due ruote is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 08:41 PM
  #536  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I think earlier, as it has the script Raleigh decal on the downtube. 71 or 72?

https://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleigh...talog-1972.pdf
'72 looks pretty good to me. Kurt might be able to nail it down with the serial #.
Going to have to agree and say it has to be the '72. The Simplex stuff puts it there, as well as the strong-light.
Aperturae is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 06:52 PM
  #537  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Aperturae
Going to have to agree and say it has to be the '72. The Simplex stuff puts it there, as well as the strong-light.
+1
Very nice Aperturae - It appears to be in fine original condition - I see it's begging to have a Brooks saddle again - and almost certainly some fresh grease too.
BTW - Your Milwaukee bike license expired in April of '79. Hopefully Milwaukee's finest won't come gunning for you!
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 07:15 PM
  #538  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1
Very nice Aperturae - It appears to be in fine original condition - I see it's begging to have a Brooks saddle again - and almost certainly some fresh grease too.
BTW - Your Milwaukee bike license expired in April of '79. Hopefully Milwaukee's finest won't come gunning for you!
Thanks! If I could afford another one, I would get one for it. Sadly a new Brooks costs more than the bike did.
I peeled off that '79 sticker and there was one for every year back to '72.

Any clue what I can pump pressure wise into the original tires?
Aperturae is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 08:00 PM
  #539  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Aperturae
...

Any clue what I can pump pressure wise into the original tires?
You say you want to know what presure to pump up the original tires?
Do you have a death wish?
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 12:55 PM
  #540  
RetroGrouch
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 46

Bikes: 1972 Paramount P-15, 1974 Raleigh International, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Trek 520, 1991 Bridgestone MB-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice old Super Course

Nice find!

From the pictures, it looks the same as my old '72 Super Course:
Simplex Prestige derailleurs and shifters
Stronglight cottered steel crank
GB stem
Weinman Vainquer centerpulls with white Carlton hoods on levers
Reynolds 531 Plain Gauge (main tubes only)
Normandy HF hubs with Weinmann 27x1 1/4 alloy rims
Brooks B-15 saddle

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by Aperturae
Hello everyone! Just picked this guy up today for a cheap price,
considering it has literally everything original side the missing Brooks.

Looks to be in rather nice condition. Any help to pinpoint a year model on this guy?
I've read all over on it and best I can guess is 'early 70's'

Simplex front and rear derailleurs, Strong-light crankset. Has what appears as an "11" on the bottom bracket.

(Sorry for larger images)







David Laird is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 02:58 PM
  #541  
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 319 Posts
Oh btw the same seller that Aperturae bought from had this one. Way too big for me but I couldn't resist the condition and price. I'll post a full view eventually.
[IMG][/IMG]




Looks like the original tire (without much wear). Should I put on my safety goggles and ear protection and fire up the compressor?

Last edited by due ruote; 10-15-12 at 03:01 PM.
due ruote is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 06:26 PM
  #542  
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is one that I have been lusting over. The 1985 Raleigh Super Course. I have the other 3 of the 1985 Raleigh RACINGUSA Series.. I need this one bad, and it is my size...







cehowardGS is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 06:40 PM
  #543  
Senior Member
 
Peugeotlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 551

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banger
Here is my 1983' SC. Got some type of clicking going on from the BB so I'll need to rebuild that or replace with a cartride this winter. Driving me crazy biking around listening to the click that only I can hear... Sounds like a scene from a movie where only the crazy guy can here the voices.... :-)

banger, I was trying to track down a similar noise on my 40 year old Peugeot, yesterday.
Turned out that the noise was coming from the old Brooks saddle.
Maybe check out the possibility of the noise being your saddle.
Peugeotlover is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 07:41 PM
  #544  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,620

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked 6,518 Times in 3,750 Posts
Interesting Reynolds 531 frame decal. The one on my 72 SC is a bit different.



__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Old 10-15-12, 08:19 PM
  #545  
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Here is one that I have been lusting over. The 1985 Raleigh Super Course. I have the other 3 of the 1985 Raleigh RACINGUSA Series.. I need this one bad, and it is my size...







There's something about a big frame like that with the saddle slammed down that's just so wrong.

I like that black/silver/chrome combo with the Benotto tape and Concor (ish?) saddle - very sexy bike.
due ruote is offline  
Old 10-16-12, 05:29 AM
  #546  
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
There's something about a big frame like that with the saddle slammed down that's just so wrong.

I like that black/silver/chrome combo with the Benotto tape and Concor (ish?) saddle - very sexy bike.
\

Yup, the owner of this bike is trying to sell it for a whopping $799. He even admits it it too tall for him. He is 5'9". It would fit me perfectly, and is the missing link to my collection.. I can't go $799 for it.. Not even $600.. Now, I might start to think at around $500, a little under or over, I could go for it.. This Raleigh RACINGUSA series are not that plentiful..I think they only came out in 1985.. A lot of people will call them 1984 and 1986, but I think the true year is 1985.
cehowardGS is offline  
Old 10-22-12, 01:47 AM
  #547  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Oh btw the same seller that Aperturae bought from had this one. Way too big for me but I couldn't resist the condition and price. I'll post a full view eventually.

Looks like the original tire (without much wear). Should I put on my safety goggles and ear protection and fire up the compressor?
Nice! I wish I had the cash to grab that one as well!
I aired up the original tires ( in the same condition as yours) with no issues, though I haven't ridden it.
Aperturae is offline  
Old 10-22-12, 01:49 AM
  #548  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee Metro
Posts: 6

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Interesting Reynolds 531 frame decal. The one on my 72 SC is a bit different.
Interesting! I'll have to look into that a bit more some day soon.

Edit: After about 10 minutes of solid searching I can't find another exact example of the one on my bike?

Last edited by Aperturae; 10-22-12 at 01:57 AM.
Aperturae is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 02:35 PM
  #549  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 6

Bikes: 2007 Dawes, super galaxy, 1985 Raleigh classic 15, 1977 raleigh super course MKII, 1988 Raleigh record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some time ago, during a holyday in Spain my 1982 Raleigh Competition got stolen. During my search for a replacement bike I came across a Raleigh Super course MKII, asking price €30,=.Although a real Raleigh freak, I must admit I had never come across this model before, so Iwent to Google and within a few mouse clicks I came across this wonderful forum.After seeing all the beautiful pictures and interesting comments on this forum I was getting really excited to get my hands on this beauty, the seller told me that the bike had been in his chicken pen for many years, he reckoned more than 20 years, and that the bike was only useful for someone who would be able to completely overhaul it.

After I had collected the bike I realized that the gentleman had spoken the truth, the chainwheel and bottom bracket would not turn, completely seized up. This bike was going togive me lots of pleasure getting it cleaned up and ready for use.
When I removed the chainwheel and loosened the bottombracket locknuts, the bearings and cups where all dried up in a rusty dust, the lot went into the dustbin.
All the wheels and other moving parts have been taken apart and cleaned up and greased.
Today the bike was completed and taken for a ride.., I think I will like this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00394.jpg (83.8 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00397.jpg (76.1 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00404.jpg (71.2 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00403.jpg (54.0 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00410.jpg (89.2 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00411.jpg (86.5 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00414.jpg (79.3 KB, 467 views)

Last edited by gamgra; 12-17-12 at 02:46 PM.
gamgra is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 02:46 PM
  #550  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gamgra
Some time ago, during a holyday in Spain my 1982 Raleigh Competition got stolen. During my search for a replacement bike I came across a Raleigh Super course MKII, asking price €30,=.Although a real Raleigh freak, I must admit I had never come across this model before, so Iwent to Google and within a few mouse clicks I came across this wonderful forum.After seeing all the beautiful pictures and interesting comments on this forum I was getting really excited to get my hands on this beauty, the seller told me that the bike had been in his chicken pen for many years, he reckoned more than 20 years, and that the bike was only useful for someone who would be able to completely overhaul it.
After I had collected the bike I realized that the gentleman had spoken the truth, the chainwheel and bottom bracket would not turn, completely seized up. This bike was going togive me lots of pleasure getting it cleaned up and ready for use.
When I removed the chainwheel and loosened the bottombracket locknuts, the bearings and cups where all dried up in a rusty dust, the lot went into the dustbin.
All the wheels and other moving parts have been taken apart and cleaned up and greased.
Today the bike was completed and taken for a ride.., I think I will like this bike.
Beautiful job gamgra! And welcome to C&V! Your first post certainly is a winner - you will indeed like this bike. (I know we do.)
I especially like that color - It's the first I've seen.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.