Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 06-10-13, 08:17 PM
  #601  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echo
More Raleigh spammage from me

New guy here.

I have fond memories of my green/white Super Course MkII. It carried me far and wide as a teen and young man. I generously donated it to the local Boy Scouts tag sale a few years back and felt such remorse that I've recently replaced it with a '74 Professional. That's for another thread though.

Cheers! Tom
Tom CT is offline  
Old 06-10-13, 08:25 PM
  #602  
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
This Mk II is too big, so I need to overhaul it and get it on the market, minus the Brooks.

oddjob2 is offline  
Old 08-01-13, 09:38 PM
  #603  
Senior Member
 
fixed1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 135

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked one up, what a wonderful bike ............. much nicer than my Grand Prix (which isn't to bad in it's own right).


Last edited by fixed1313; 08-04-13 at 12:41 PM. Reason: bad image link
fixed1313 is offline  
Old 08-02-13, 05:26 AM
  #604  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,583

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
I got this for my housemate Al, thanks to sailorbenjamin. I've been renovating it with Al to teach him. He adores it. He has quickly been converted to bike commuting. He doesn't own a car and had been taking the bus everywhere. Now he rides everywhere.



I've ridden it, and I think it's a pretty magical ride for such a lowly bike.

__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 08-02-13, 08:51 AM
  #605  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fixed1313
I just picked one up, what a wonderful bike ............. much nicer than my Grand Prix (which isn't to bad in it's own right).

Nice. I really like this green & white combo on the MkII's. (If I was to N+1 yet another Super Course, this is the color I'd seek out.)
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 08-02-13, 12:31 PM
  #606  
Junior Member
 
farmroast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: western ma.
Posts: 7

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course, '68 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike I wanted as a teenager in the early 70s. Just found and about to refurbish. Basic model in factory "coffee" color (I'm a coffee roaster). Serial # 366753 year "73?



Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleighscbike.jpg (104.7 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by farmroast; 08-02-13 at 09:50 PM.
farmroast is offline  
Old 08-03-13, 09:00 AM
  #607  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by farmroast
The bike I wanted as a teenager in the early 70s. Just found and about to refurbish. Basic model in factory "coffee" color (I'm a coffee roaster). Serial # 366753 year "73?
Welcome to C&V, farmroast.
Nice Super Course there - and it is indeed a '73 with those Capella lugs.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 08-03-13, 10:31 AM
  #608  
Senior Member
 
fixed1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 135

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Very nice farmroast, love the color and it looks to be in fantastic shape.
fixed1313 is offline  
Old 08-03-13, 10:43 PM
  #609  
Senior Member
 
peazweag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: albany,oregon
Posts: 350

Bikes: 1973 RALEIGH SUPER COURSE,85 FUI ALLEGRO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is mine 73 super couse with 9 spd 105 sti shifters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
super course.jpg (44.1 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg
supercourse2.jpg (28.8 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg
brooks.jpg (31.9 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg
carlton.jpg (27.8 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg
crank.jpg (40.9 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg
sc.jpg (35.7 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by peazweag; 08-03-13 at 10:46 PM. Reason: forgot picture
peazweag is offline  
Old 08-04-13, 09:24 AM
  #610  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,583

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
peazweag, yours is well equipped and also well preserved. And you do not really have only one bike, do you?

farmroast, welcome! This is fun, isn't it?
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 08-05-13, 07:34 AM
  #611  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Peazweag, farmroast-beautiful bikes! I got two other bikes done, so the Super Course should be next. Still debating on the paint...probably leave it original.

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-05-13, 01:58 PM
  #612  
Junior Member
 
farmroast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: western ma.
Posts: 7

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course, '68 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the welcomes!

Haven't been able to ride for years. Finally had the chance to get the hernia fixed and will be able to ride again very soon. So while recouping went bike hunting! Saw my first RSC at my local bike shop late 60s. Was my teenage dream bike.

Found the one above on ebay for $150. and close enough to pick it up. Hate shipping vintage stuff. It's in excellent shape. Had to find the coffee color as I'm a coffee roasting consultant (interesting how many serious bike riders who are into great coffee/espresso too;-).

Ordered new brown cable sets for it, Brooks brown leather tape and decided on a brown Brooks flyer special( great college town to ride but the roads are mostly in crap shape).

Been cleaning and polishing up the metals with Mothers while waiting for parts, everything now shines!

Still need to mount my least favorite baseball card on the front fork before I'm good to go.
fun
farmroast is offline  
Old 08-05-13, 11:47 PM
  #613  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Happy trails there farmroast! I bought a nearly perfect RGP in college...was like a yr old....in green. I did the usual upgrades;Suntour front & rear derailleurs, alloy crank etc. Don't remember them all, but took the entire bike apart, polished everything with car wax and put it back together one winter vacation. Was like a jewel from then on and I was really wired to the bike. Naive kid and all, I had no idea that there were lines above the GP. Recently, I was hoping to score a Competition GS, but found the Super Course instead. Still want a GS in black, but I'm liking the SC more and more. I just finished restoring a Schwinn Le Tour and the SC should dust that in fit & function....I'm hoping anyway because the Schwinn is the only 10sp I have running at present.

Hope your hernia surgery pays off and you can ride as much as you want again! I restore anything metal with Mothers...the more you polish, the greater the look....your effort is exactly proportional to the look you want to get.

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-06-13, 01:29 AM
  #614  
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,923

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 357 Posts
1972 Super Course. Great heaping gobs of patina on this one. I bought this one as part of a package deal last winter from fellow C&Ver Wildwood. I won't tell you what else was in the package, but suffice it to say he doesn't have much C&V left in his stable.

He mentioned to me at the time "This is the biggest bike I can possibly ride." Ditto, my friend. On handing this thing off to me, he encouraged me to give the original Delrin plastic derailleurs a chance, so I figured, "Sure, why not."



OK, enough of that. After a few test rides, the faded plastic Delrin stuff was not impressing me, to say the least, so I treated the old SC to full Shimano 600 Arabesque drivetrain front and back. Also deep-sixed was the boat anchor cottered steel Nervar crank, which thankfully came off without too much drama and is now contributing it's considerable heft to a parts bin, rather than a bicycle. Good riddance.

Here's the lovely Shimano 600 crankset, and the Shimano 600 FD, sourced from fellow C&Ver MParker326:

Now then, let's remove our attention to the freewheel; let's count the teeth on the big cog, shall we? Go ahead, I'll wait here. (1, 2, 3, 17, 28 .... 34) That's right, that 600EX eats 34 teeth for breakfast and looks good doing it. I mean, I love my touring-grade SunTour stuff as much as anyone, and have that on most of my vintage bikes, but the 600 RD I'm running my SC isn't even a long cage. How is this even possible? Of course, that is a Shimano 600 freewheel (NOS, as of 4.5 miles ago), so eh, why the hell not? Take that, Arabesque haters. (Also, a shout out to fellow C&Ver ColJLloyd for providing me with a Shimano 600 bottom bracket, allowing me to stick with the theme.)


Awkward looking (but you know it's strong) 3ttt cro-mo stem, which came with the bike when I got it.

Funny story, these enormously tall Raleighs (just under 64cm seat tube) just aren't that long (shy of 58cm on the top tube) so the long stem helps it feel more like a 'normal' bike. Although I may be able to go back to the original stem now that I've found a saddle that lets me sit way back:

OK, this saddle is something else. Just the right amount of general crappiness, er, "patina" for this build. A stiff and weathered 40-year-old (Czech?) Special 04 that fellow C&Ver Rudi from North Jersey sent my way. A lot of you guys know RHM Rudi:

"By day he works in the saddle factory / of the R.H.M. American dream /
At night he rides to missions of glory / on pedal-powered machines..."


or that's what his buddy Bruce tells me anyway. So, this Rudi character was offering up the saddle in the C&V For Sale section, and I ask him if the (really rusty looking) tension adjustment screw on it works. Good question, so of course he decides to pop the rivets, take the leather off, lube up the adjustment screw, get it working, and pop the whole thing back together. "It works now. That'll be $35 shipped." Thanks, Rudi! The saddle has the firmness of a Professional and the broadness of a B17. I can really settle into this thing.

A little hi-flange goodness (yes, Shimano 600 again) on the front. I've got the matching one for the rear, but the wheel it's on is a little too bent to get back to perfect, so it's going to have to wait until I can pull the hub and get it on another rim. Those are the ubiquitous Araya 27" rims from the 80's, so I've got a pretty good stock of them.


The original Weinmann center pulls are staying because they work just fine (and I don't know if anything else would reach down from that sky-high rear brake bridge anyway) and the brake levers are staying because of the original Carlton hoods, of course. The tires are ultra-cheapo Kenda 27x1 1/8 from bike tires direct because 8 bucks apiece, so shut up. Actually I kind of dig them; you run those things at 100psi and they are so hard it feels like you're riding a much faster bike.

One of these days I'll get around to replacing all the junky, mis-matched cable housings etc., but up until that time we'll just file that stuff under "patina."
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●


Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 08-06-13 at 12:11 PM.
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 08-12-13, 07:52 AM
  #615  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
1972 Super Course. Great heaping gobs of patina on this one. I bought this one as part of a package deal last winter from fellow C&Ver Wildwood. I won't tell you what else was in the package, but suffice it to say he doesn't have much C&V left in his stable.

He mentioned to me at the time "This is the biggest bike I can possibly ride." Ditto, my friend. On handing this thing off to me, he encouraged me to give the original Delrin plastic derailleurs a chance, so I figured, "Sure, why not."



OK, enough of that. After a few test rides, the faded plastic Delrin stuff was not impressing me, to say the least, so I treated the old SC to full Shimano 600 Arabesque drivetrain front and back. Also deep-sixed was the boat anchor cottered steel Nervar crank, which thankfully came off without too much drama and is now contributing it's considerable heft to a parts bin, rather than a bicycle. Good riddance.

Here's the lovely Shimano 600 crankset, and the Shimano 600 FD, sourced from fellow C&Ver MParker326:

Now then, let's remove our attention to the freewheel; let's count the teeth on the big cog, shall we? Go ahead, I'll wait here. (1, 2, 3, 17, 28 .... 34) That's right, that 600EX eats 34 teeth for breakfast and looks good doing it. I mean, I love my touring-grade SunTour stuff as much as anyone, and have that on most of my vintage bikes, but the 600 RD I'm running my SC isn't even a long cage. How is this even possible? Of course, that is a Shimano 600 freewheel (NOS, as of 4.5 miles ago), so eh, why the hell not? Take that, Arabesque haters. (Also, a shout out to fellow C&Ver ColJLloyd for providing me with a Shimano 600 bottom bracket, allowing me to stick with the theme.)


Awkward looking (but you know it's strong) 3ttt cro-mo stem, which came with the bike when I got it.

Funny story, these enormously tall Raleighs (just under 64cm seat tube) just aren't that long (shy of 58cm on the top tube) so the long stem helps it feel more like a 'normal' bike. Although I may be able to go back to the original stem now that I've found a saddle that lets me sit way back:

OK, this saddle is something else. Just the right amount of general crappiness, er, "patina" for this build. A stiff and weathered 40-year-old (Czech?) Special 04 that fellow C&Ver Rudi from North Jersey sent my way. A lot of you guys know RHM Rudi:

"By day he works in the saddle factory / of the R.H.M. American dream /
At night he rides to missions of glory / on pedal-powered machines..."


or that's what his buddy Bruce tells me anyway. So, this Rudi character was offering up the saddle in the C&V For Sale section, and I ask him if the (really rusty looking) tension adjustment screw on it works. Good question, so of course he decides to pop the rivets, take the leather off, lube up the adjustment screw, get it working, and pop the whole thing back together. "It works now. That'll be $35 shipped." Thanks, Rudi! The saddle has the firmness of a Professional and the broadness of a B17. I can really settle into this thing.

A little hi-flange goodness (yes, Shimano 600 again) on the front. I've got the matching one for the rear, but the wheel it's on is a little too bent to get back to perfect, so it's going to have to wait until I can pull the hub and get it on another rim. Those are the ubiquitous Araya 27" rims from the 80's, so I've got a pretty good stock of them.


The original Weinmann center pulls are staying because they work just fine (and I don't know if anything else would reach down from that sky-high rear brake bridge anyway) and the brake levers are staying because of the original Carlton hoods, of course. The tires are ultra-cheapo Kenda 27x1 1/8 from bike tires direct because 8 bucks apiece, so shut up. Actually I kind of dig them; you run those things at 100psi and they are so hard it feels like you're riding a much faster bike.

One of these days I'll get around to replacing all the junky, mis-matched cable housings etc., but up until that time we'll just file that stuff under "patina."
Great story lascauxcaveman.....except for the insider, exclusionary jargon. I understood most of it anyway and the bike looks a lot in its patina, like mine. I believe the right Shimano stuff can do anything. I have an old Yokota 'hybrid' with a Shimano drive set, it's smooth as silk even to this day and I'm the original owner. Can't say much for the frame but the Shimano stuff is sweeeet. However, I have the cassette, derailleurs and other bits in period Suntour ready to go on the SC. Still debating on the crank...the factory set is inexcusably heavy, but pretty in its own way. Happy trails on your SC, although with your stable, how much will you really be riding the SC?!

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-12-13, 09:27 AM
  #616  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I thought I had posted my latest Super Course here, but I guess I didn't. Most of you have probably seen it in it's own thread. I believe it's a 78, given the TDF sticker on the DT stating winner in 77. Anyway, here it is. Would love to paint it, but the patina is kinda cool. The bar tape has to go though.,,,,BD

__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.

Last edited by Bikedued; 08-12-13 at 09:33 AM.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-12-13, 10:34 AM
  #617  
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,923

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
Happy trails on your SC, although with your stable, how much will you really be riding the SC?!

Kevin
Right now, this one is my main commuter, so about a hundred miles last month, and likely a hundred+ this month. That would be about 1/3 of my saddle time, in the summer.

Now that I've got it set up more or less the way I like it (even those crazy cheap tires) it's hard to resist, even with its worthy stablemates calling my name.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 08-12-13, 11:28 AM
  #618  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not a fan of the 'coffee', but really nice nonetheless! What is that drilled-out crank sprocket on there-have that done somewhere?

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-12-13, 11:35 AM
  #619  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Right now, this one is my main commuter, so about a hundred miles last month, and likely a hundred+ this month. That would be about 1/3 of my saddle time, in the summer.

Now that I've got it set up more or less the way I like it (even those crazy cheap tires) it's hard to resist, even with its worthy stablemates calling my name.



In the summer, I try to ride about 300 miles a month. I'm old, so that's a reasonable amount or it would soon get boring to me. In college, I rode all the time and everywhere. Not because I thought it was cool, but born out of necessity and no car. I'm trying to keep this hobby fun rather than a daily workout drudgery. I'm really hoping the SC fixed up will give me that Raleigh magic I remember. I mean, it's gotta be better than this Japanese Schwinn Le Tour I fixed up, right?

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-14-13, 09:08 PM
  #620  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Right now, this one is my main commuter, so about a hundred miles last month, and likely a hundred+ this month. That would be about 1/3 of my saddle time, in the summer.

Now that I've got it set up more or less the way I like it (even those crazy cheap tires) it's hard to resist, even with its worthy stablemates calling my name.
Unless you don't care, you're gonna regret those cheap tires. I bought some cheap tires for the Schwinn from a bike shop that were not 'guaranteed'. Both tires in less than a yr had 'snake back'; a segment of the tire about 6-10" long, that looked like the back of a snake moving. Tire shop said to keep riding until they separated. Stellar advice I guess if you don't give a sh$t. I do and don't care to have them separate in the middle of some rural ride. So I bought some skinny Specialized tires that are called 'ironhide' or something to that effect. When you're pumping these things up to 90-100PSI, cheap tires just don't hold up. Unless you like the 'adventure' of riding the snake's back.

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline  
Old 08-14-13, 09:16 PM
  #621  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Armadillo, by chance? They are extremely durable, but have a stiff ride. Continental Gatorskins are about the same durable wise, but ride a little nicer.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-15-13, 05:51 PM
  #622  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,583

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
Is Armadillo a brand? I can't explain it but they look like hard riding tires. I want to convince my friends on Armadillos to try Panaracers.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 08-15-13, 06:37 PM
  #623  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Specialized Armadillo's.Their ultra flat resistant line of tires, pretty much available on every tire in their lineup, even folding road bike tires. The wire bead road tires ride pretty hard. Very thick tread and sidewalls, and stiff as hell. You can pretty much stab them with an ice pick, and not get a flat though.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-16-13, 10:40 AM
  #624  
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,923

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
Unless you don't care, you're gonna regret those cheap tires.
You could be right, and I don't have high expectations for their durability, especially since my bikes see significant amounts of gravel and other abuse. But I didn't have high expectations either for the cheap CSTs I put on my Tempo, and they keep chugging away.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 02:13 AM
  #625  
Senior Member
 
peazweag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: albany,oregon
Posts: 350

Bikes: 1973 RALEIGH SUPER COURSE,85 FUI ALLEGRO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
panaracers are good but have thin sidewalls prone to pinch flats
Originally Posted by noglider
Is Armadillo a brand? I can't explain it but they look like hard riding tires. I want to convince my friends on Armadillos to try Panaracers.
peazweag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.