Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off your late 1980's Schwinn road bike here

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off your late 1980's Schwinn road bike here

Old 10-01-17, 09:42 PM
  #801  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Looks great @mstateglfr !
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 10:42 PM
  #802  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 81 Posts
This is going to be another favorite Thread for me. My first road bike was an 85 World I got for Christmas (stolen from me).
In the early 90s, I built up a beautiful black 87 Prelude I ended up trading for a Chevy LUV pickup.
I have a soft spot for mid to late 80s Schwinns in those awesome vibrant colors. Im alway looking to add them to my collection. Sadly, I have none now.

Last edited by norcalmike; 10-01-17 at 10:58 PM.
norcalmike is offline  
Old 10-04-17, 11:28 PM
  #803  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
How can I get this stuff off my frame? I have tried Dawn already but it only took a little bit off. It's bugging me...there are other places on the frame where it is just as bad also. Though those places aren't visible unless the bike is upside down, but still lol. I just don't want to damage the paint so figured I'd ask first.

Pic is a bit blurry...looks darker in person. I want to get it cleaned up, if possible, before putting my new brake calipers on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grease.jpg (54.5 KB, 442 views)
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 12:06 AM
  #804  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,408

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
How can I get this stuff off my frame? I have tried Dawn already but it only took a little bit off. It's bugging me...there are other places on the frame where it is just as bad also. Though those places aren't visible unless the bike is upside down, but still lol. I just don't want to damage the paint so figured I'd ask first.

Pic is a bit blurry...looks darker in person. I want to get it cleaned up, if possible, before putting my new brake calipers on.
Does it feel like the stuff is caked on? Like it 'bumps up' and not down. Up is dirt/accumulation, down is clearcoat/paint ebbing away. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Some of that stuff is pretty stubborn to remove. You could try those Mr. Clean magic white pad/sponge things. The way they disintegrate during use is a bit weird, but I suppose is planned. Douse in water, wring out slightly, and you're good to go. They're pretty nifty, and half a silver bullet.

Another idea is something like Simple Green or 409 or my go-to, Kaboom Tub & Tile Cleaner (the foaming kind!) with one of those green and yellow sponge/Scotch Brite brillo(?) pad combos. Use the green brillo pad side. Lots of Kaboom or rather, liquid saturating the area, and then light circular motion of the pad. It'll have more punch than a towel or similar (abrasion is key), but not as much as fine steel wool. Let whatever liquid is on it soak for a little bit, if you haven't been doing that already.

I think you should be able to get it off. The paint will look so nice when done! Of course, I advocate for use of a spray detailer or wax (auto parts store, stuff like Meguair's brand) after it is all clean to add some protection, shine (so pretty!) and barrier layer that shuns gunk build-up more than before.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 05:12 AM
  #805  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Try car detailing clay or wd40. It worked for me. Good luck.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 06:13 AM
  #806  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,237 Posts
Ronsonol lighter fluid. Strong enough to get it off, won't harm the paint. Wax afterwards.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 08:07 AM
  #807  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,774

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,288 Posts
mr clean pad may work, but just know going into it that those sorta dull the paint by being slightly abrasive. Once removed, may not have the junk anymore, but the paint also may be a bit hazy. Polish helps fix that issue then.

just an fyi to be aware.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 08:15 AM
  #808  
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 316 Posts
It should polish off with a rubbing compound. Try a degreaser on a rag as well.
Narhay is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 03:55 PM
  #809  
Senior Member
 
tyler_fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Magnolia State, 100 with 110% humidity
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 128 Posts
Just throw it in the washer!!
tyler_fred is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 08:19 PM
  #810  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Lol yeah, the washer should work!

Thanks everyone! I have tried the Dawn again & then WD40, with no changes. I have most of the other suggestions listed above so I'll start in on those tonight. I need to get some polishing/wax stuff still though so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Just washing it isn't bringing out any shine at all so I'll stop by Target or AutoZone for something for after the gunk is taken off.
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 08:47 PM
  #811  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Ronsonol lighter fluid. Strong enough to get it off, won't harm the paint. Wax afterwards.
Good call doc, I forgot about lighter fluid. I use it on really gunked up guitars however never tried it on bikes.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-26-17, 08:31 PM
  #812  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 81 Posts
I have a soft spot for 80s Schwinns. My first road bike was an '85 World I got for Christmas at 12 years old.
Loved them ever since.
Heres my current line up






Mostly original 86 Peloton
20171024_071404 by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


88 Premis a little frankenbiked and a bit tall but its cool


88 Premis by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


87 Ice Pink Prelude. Not sure what direction to go on it. It will stay pink though!


20171016_125915 by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


And Norcalwife's New 87 Super Sport I just picked up today on the way to work. Original owner. The guy even showed me a pic of he and his buddies posing with their bikes back in 1988 when he was in his prime. Too cool.


norcal wife's 87 super sport by Norcal Mike, on Flickr
norcalmike is offline  
Old 10-26-17, 08:39 PM
  #813  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,790

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
Lol yeah, the washer should work!

Thanks everyone! I have tried the Dawn again & then WD40, with no changes. I have most of the other suggestions listed above so I'll start in on those tonight. I need to get some polishing/wax stuff still though so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Just washing it isn't bringing out any shine at all so I'll stop by Target or AutoZone for something for after the gunk is taken off.
So , what finally worked to get that off?
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 10-27-17, 03:19 AM
  #814  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
So , what finally worked to get that off?
I used White Lightning Easy Clean degreaser. It was not easy getting that crap off...I'm still cleaning the rest of the bike. It's gonna take awhile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grease.jpg (54.5 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg
fork.jpg (57.7 KB, 356 views)
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-27-17, 05:59 AM
  #815  
Senior Member
 
tyler_fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Magnolia State, 100 with 110% humidity
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 128 Posts
Schwinns are addictive!!

Originally Posted by norcalmike
I have a soft spot for 80s Schwinns. My first road bike was an '85 World I got for Christmas at 12 years old.
Loved them ever since.
Heres my current line up






Mostly original 86 Peloton
20171024_071404 by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


88 Premis a little frankenbiked and a bit tall but its cool


88 Premis by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


87 Ice Pink Prelude. Not sure what direction to go on it. It will stay pink though!


20171016_125915 by Norcal Mike, on Flickr


And Norcalwife's New 87 Super Sport I just picked up today on the way to work. Original owner. The guy even showed me a pic of he and his buddies posing with their bikes back in 1988 when he was in his prime. Too cool.


norcal wife's 87 super sport by Norcal Mike, on Flickr
tyler_fred is offline  
Old 10-27-17, 06:04 AM
  #816  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,790

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
I used White Lightning Easy Clean degreaser. It was not easy getting that crap off...I'm still cleaning the rest of the bike. It's gonna take awhile
Looks like it is working though. I'll have to try that on the one I've got that has some grime like your's I've been struggling with.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 10-27-17, 12:23 PM
  #817  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 14

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Traveler | '90 Tommasini made Quattro Assi Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@norcalmike

Man I've always loved that peloton color combo with the decals. Some great looking bikes.
Rowinish is offline  
Old 10-27-17, 11:46 PM
  #818  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Looks like it is working though. I'll have to try that on the one I've got that has some grime like your's I've been struggling with.
Which frame?

Yeah it's working, but slowly. The grimy stuff almost seemed baked into the paint, it was so smooth...wasn't sure I'd get it off.

I had to just concentrate on tiny spots at a time - degreaser, cloth wrapped finger scrubbing an inch of space, wipe it down, repeat a few times, then on to another spot. There is probably a better way but I don't know.
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 12:38 AM
  #819  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowinish
@norcalmike

Man I've always loved that peloton color combo with the decals. Some great looking bikes.
Me too. Thanks!
norcalmike is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 02:53 AM
  #820  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,408

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
Which frame?

Yeah it's working, but slowly. The grimy stuff almost seemed baked into the paint, it was so smooth...wasn't sure I'd get it off.

I had to just concentrate on tiny spots at a time - degreaser, cloth wrapped finger scrubbing an inch of space, wipe it down, repeat a few times, then on to another spot. There is probably a better way but I don't know.
Really glad you got it off. Looks brand new! Sometimes, the only way to the end of a cleaning/restoring process is to just put in the time and elbow grease. Zero fun. A bit like the horse race in the movie Hidalgo, except without the horses. And sand. Sooooo much sand.... Scraping the surface rust and then the glaze-like build-up off the chrome on my all-chrome Super Le Tour took forever. Sore fingers and arms from all the large and small back-and-forth movements. Turned out great. Your Prelude will turn out well. Keep it up!
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 04:38 PM
  #821  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Really glad you got it off. Looks brand new! Sometimes, the only way to the end of a cleaning/restoring process is to just put in the time and elbow grease. Zero fun. A bit like the horse race in the movie Hidalgo, except without the horses. And sand. Sooooo much sand.... Scraping the surface rust and then the glaze-like build-up off the chrome on my all-chrome Super Le Tour took forever. Sore fingers and arms from all the large and small back-and-forth movements. Turned out great. Your Prelude will turn out well. Keep it up!
Thanks! Yeah zero fun...Definitely getting sore from it as well. I'll be doing the rest of the frame over the next week or so, so I don't kill my arm or back. At least most of the areas I have left to do are just on the bottom of the top & down tubes...so I won't have to see it while I'm not cleaning lol Your Super Le Tour turned out amazing...you can definitely see how much work you put into it!
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 04:58 PM
  #822  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bought brand new in 1984. after 33 years, thousands of miles and many upgrades. only original components are frame, seat post and fork. still a great ride..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Screenshot_20171028-184334.jpg (894.2 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg
Screenshot_20171028-184353.jpg (704.5 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg
Screenshot_20171028-184318.jpg (1.05 MB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170916_191019_318.jpg (532.1 KB, 304 views)
jong1 is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 08:46 PM
  #823  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,790

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
Which frame?
It's the inside fork on the Prologue, up top. I actually went at it yesterday with the "Purple" degreaser and finally got it off.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 08:56 PM
  #824  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,790

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 1,852 Posts
This is the late 80's Schwinn I took out today for it's maiden voyage. Still need to dial in the front bar setup and then I'll add on the bar tape. It was no where near as bad riding the bullhorns as I was worried about.



It's got a 1988 frame number but a 1987 headbadge stamp, the opposite of what would be expected.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 10-28-17, 09:24 PM
  #825  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 113

Bikes: 2006 Felt F4C, 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jong1
bought brand new in 1984. after 33 years, thousands of miles and many upgrades. only original components are frame, seat post and fork. still a great ride..
Nice build!!! I am thinking of building a gravel/cross bike for my winter project. What size tires did you end up using?

Thanks much.

Dennis
denny1969 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.