Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recover Your Saddle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Recover Your Saddle

Old 10-28-23, 05:21 PM
  #201  
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,071 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by bironi
Just came across this thread.
Some of the photos with the leather covering removed are way too painful.
These are like bare butt shots.
A new leather saddle is the answer, festering foam covered over is not.
Thank god that Photo Bucket has timed out!
This hobby is not all glitz and parties, there are the sometimes uncomfortable darker side that we need to deal with as we get deeper into maintenance and restoration.

I will admit that looking at bare necked seat foam could be traumatizing for the uninitiated. Fortunately, we have several members that can turn these disgusting, flabby foam shapes and dress them up and make them look great.
Velo Mule is offline  
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 10-29-23, 05:29 AM
  #202  
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,961

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,007 Posts
I suppose I need to add the 'Gatorcet to this gallery of masterpieces.

It had a few more scrapes and rips on the other side. I did remove the original cover.

The side stiching is unoticable. Nonetheless, it is one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever ridden. I gave it 100 miles before removing.

I'm still using the matching saddle bag with the now mounted and very comfortable Brooks Pro.

If interested in this masterpiece for your own riding pleasure (sic), PM me for trading details.
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is online now  
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-29-23, 07:29 AM
  #203  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,550
Liked 2,378 Times in 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I suppose I need to add the 'Gatorcet to this gallery of masterpieces.

It had a few more scrapes and rips on the other side. I did remove the original cover.

The side stiching is unoticable. Nonetheless, it is one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever ridden. I gave it 100 miles before removing.

I'm still using the matching saddle bag with the now mounted and very comfortable Brooks Pro.

If interested in this masterpiece for your own riding pleasure (sic), PM me for trading details.
wow, Bob. That is some very nice work. My daughter loves her Avocet saddle but it doesn’t have the flair that the gator saddle has. You have become quite good at leather work my friend. Joe
Kabuki12 is online now  
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-29-23, 08:45 AM
  #204  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,340
Liked 2,859 Times in 2,017 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I suppose I need to add the 'Gatorcet to this gallery of masterpieces.

It had a few more scrapes and rips on the other side. I did remove the original cover.

The side stiching is unoticable. Nonetheless, it is one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever ridden. I gave it 100 miles before removing.

I'm still using the matching saddle bag with the now mounted and very comfortable Brooks Pro.

If interested in this masterpiece for your own riding pleasure (sic), PM me for trading details.
‘the bag is where the skill is showing in my book. Tight curves on either side of a zipper are tricky, the inside and outside radius have to be “clocked” spot on.
‘otherwise it is a mess. The construction has to be planned to not sew oneself into a corner that cannot be sewn with a machine.
zippers and findings are around but in small qty, not cheap.
‘I have a snap setting machine that is foot operated, allows two hands to place the snap, bravo to those who have to use other means.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-29-23, 01:22 PM
  #205  
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,961

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
‘the bag is where the skill is showing in my book. Tight curves on either side of a zipper are tricky, the inside and outside radius have to be “clocked” spot on.
‘otherwise it is a mess. The construction has to be planned to not sew oneself into a corner that cannot be sewn with a machine.
zippers and findings are around but in small qty, not cheap.
‘I have a snap setting machine that is foot operated, allows two hands to place the snap, bravo to those who have to use other means.
I believe I was just lucky with the zipper and the radii. My original plan was to have the opening smooth without the protruding lip. I just kept forcing the zipper to work with the leather I cut and was happy with the end result even though it was not what I originally imagined.

BTW, all my work is hand stitched and the snaps are set with anvil, punch, and hammer.

If you didn't notice the bars are covered in the same faux alligator cowhide. My Schwinn Voyageur II really makes a statement.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
wow, Bob. That is some very nice work. My daughter loves her Avocet saddle but it doesn’t have the flair that the gator saddle has. You have become quite good at leather work my friend. Joe
Thank you for the compliment.

Show her the saddle and if she's interested, I'll send it your way. She might need a matching saddle bag as well.
pastorbobnlnh is online now  
Old 10-29-23, 01:28 PM
  #206  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,340
Liked 2,859 Times in 2,017 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I believe I was just lucky with the zipper and the radii. My original plan was to have the opening smooth without the protruding lip. I just kept forcing the zipper to work with the leather I cut and was happy with the end result even though it was not what I originally imagined.

BTW, all my work is hand stitched and the snaps are set with anvil, punch, and hammer.

If you didn't notice the bars are covered in the same faux alligator cowhide. My Schwinn Voyageur II really makes a statement.


Thank you for the compliment.

Show her the saddle and if she's interested, I'll send it your way. She might need a matching saddle bag as well.
what, not taming a serpent?
repechage is offline  
Old 10-30-23, 05:12 AM
  #207  
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,961

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
what, not taming a serpent?
I'm sorry, but I'm not following your thought process on "...taming a serpent?" The zipper? The faux alligator hide? Not using a sewing machine?
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is online now  
Old 10-30-23, 08:14 AM
  #208  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,340
Liked 2,859 Times in 2,017 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'm sorry, but I'm not following your thought process on "...taming a serpent?" The zipper? The faux alligator hide? Not using a sewing machine?
obviously forgetting the fundamentalists elsewhere in you world pre retirement.

of course, one could go way back to Cleopatra and Mark Antony’s time too.
repechage is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ZeRinger
Classic & Vintage
12
02-25-21 02:48 PM
mac4095
Bicycle Mechanics
7
03-19-12 06:33 PM
shipwreck
Classic & Vintage
4
11-29-11 07:40 AM
MAD-MAX
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
2
06-18-10 03:11 AM
khatfull
Classic & Vintage
20
04-02-10 02:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.