Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Trek

Old 07-13-18, 07:37 AM
  #1701  
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,536

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
#2: Mid-80's Trek 87

Picked this up off the iBob list from a member who found it in disrepair but gave it some attention and a really nice powdercoat - sparkles like the original Imron. Built it up as a nice townie-bike for errand-running and beer runs. Dynamo lighting and fenders makes it weather and time agnostic. Really fun to ride. Feels like I'm about 11 years old again.
That’s got to be an early 80’s MTB with those lugs. I saw your project Trek on the classic MTB thread, has this one made it over there? Looks like a fabulous townie. You’d be surprised how well they ride on gravel too - they’re great allroad bikes.
mountaindave is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 05:58 AM
  #1702  
PeopleCode delaminator
 
RandolphCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Round Lake. NY
Posts: 375

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 65 Posts
Picked up a 1995 930 Singletrack for my daughter:



Cost me one beer.

(granted, it was a Heady Topper, but that's a trade I'll make any day)
RandolphCarter is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 07:46 AM
  #1703  
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter
 
AlmostGreenGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 819

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I just finished up this Trek 930 yesterday. A neighbor gave it to me a few weeks ago, after it had sat in his garage for 12 years, beat and broken. I tore the whole bike down, drilled out the wheels to accept Schrader valves, re-cabled it, and replaced the headset, chain, tires, stem and cracked handlebars. Most the parts I already had various boxes of bike parts. It's going to live at our family summer camp in the Adirondacks, where the whole family can beat on it some more.

AlmostGreenGuy is offline  
Old 07-22-18, 01:52 PM
  #1704  
Full Member
 
Chriscraft760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI.
Posts: 293

Bikes: Trek TX700 and 720

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 20 Posts
1977 Trek TX304




Original Waterloo, WI. 1977 built TX304 in DuPont Imron Metallic Green polyurethane enamel.
Frame size 22.5”
Chriscraft760 is offline  
Old 08-04-18, 05:49 AM
  #1705  
Eccentric Old Man
 
eom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BelleVegas, IL
Posts: 809

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 171 Times in 86 Posts
Burley Samba gets some competition

Picked this up yesterday.

__________________
email:
bikeforums@protonmail.com


eom is offline  
Likes For eom:
Old 08-06-18, 09:45 PM
  #1706  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Got a two-fer to show today.

#1: '83 Trek 620

.
What's up with that front bag? Looks like you have some kind of center pull pivots supported rack there?
fliplap is offline  
Old 08-07-18, 06:16 AM
  #1707  
Full Member
 
bear_a_bug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 350

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
What's up with that front bag? Looks like you have some kind of center pull pivots supported rack there?
Yep, it's an old TA rack like this:



Front bag was made by Dave Banzer in Chicago (aka Treetop Goods) several years ago. Ran across his bags on the forums, turned out he lived a mile or two from me in Chicago!
bear_a_bug is offline  
Old 08-11-18, 09:07 PM
  #1708  
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere west of Tobie's
Posts: 2,092

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 164 Posts
Just a follow-up to post #1648. I was indeed able to remove the welded seat post from the '79 930 frameset that I bought off eBay. It took a week using the the lye-soaking method. I detailed the process in a separate thread for those who may be interested.
__________________
"My only true wisdom is in knowing I have none" -Socrates

Last edited by Hudson308; 08-12-18 at 02:53 PM.
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 10-05-18, 09:44 PM
  #1709  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,504

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 85 Posts
Just picked this up for a good ..real good price

1994 1400 "Ice Blue" looks more purple, not much is original. has been changed from Shimano RX100 to Campagnolo Stratos

fleslider is offline  
Old 10-06-18, 07:26 AM
  #1710  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

I've had this since June, and am having trouble working anything else into the rotation. 79 930
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 10-06-18, 10:07 AM
  #1711  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,152

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize

I've had this since June, and am having trouble working anything else into the rotation. 79 930
Because they ride like a dream.
Should you ever deem it surplus, let me know.
nesteel is offline  
Old 10-06-18, 10:59 AM
  #1712  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Because they ride like a dream.
Should you ever deem it surplus, let me know.
I've been thinking about what I will do with them when I can no longer ride them. But I believe you also will be out of the running at that time. I have a 1980 414 coming home with me in June, so it's possible. I don't need to be greedy.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 10-07-18, 05:34 PM
  #1713  
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 935

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 25 Posts
Came across this gritty and grimey TREK Elance, paid 30 bucks for it and probably paid way too much for it. At first I thought I could always do a repaint, Then I noticed the dents where someone tried to put a kickstand on when i got home. They are not too bad but they are there, I might just build it up to be my rain bike and just leave it how it is.






















Last edited by jamesj; 10-08-18 at 12:52 PM.
jamesj is offline  
Old 10-07-18, 05:43 PM
  #1714  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,152

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I've been thinking about what I will do with them when I can no longer ride them. But I believe you also will be out of the running at that time. I have a 1980 414 coming home with me in June, so it's possible. I don't need to be greedy.
Nah, that's one of those bikes you keep a hold of for a VERY long time.
And yes, the arthritis in my hands will one day dictate a difficult decision in regards to the bikes.
__________________
My bikes: '81 Trek 957, '83 Trek 720, '85 Trek 500, '85 Trek 770, '81 Merckx, '85 Centurion Cinelli, '85 Raleigh Portage, '92 RB-2, '09 Bianchi
nesteel is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 12:51 PM
  #1715  
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 935

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 25 Posts
Regarding my previous post about the grimey TREK what would you all do with it?
jamesj is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 01:34 PM
  #1716  
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere west of Tobie's
Posts: 2,092

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
Regarding my previous post about the grimey TREK what would you all do with it?
Hopefully the chainstays aren't crushed enough to affect tubing strength. I've got a couple of frames with similar issues, but because the damage is limited to the bottom of the stays, no one knows it's there but me.
That's a decent frame that should provide a nice ride. I would clean it up, rebuild what needs rebuilding and ride it.
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 03:15 PM
  #1717  
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 631 Posts
Regarding my previous post about the grimey TREK what would you all do with it?

I'd keep it if I had room for it. It should be an excellent back up bike. If it were me though, I would probably touch up the paint only because I am pretty good at it. But that is just me.

The dents in the bottom of the chainstay look Ok to me.
Velo Mule is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 06:00 PM
  #1718  
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,611

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
Came across this gritty and grimey TREK Elance, paid 30 bucks for it and probably paid way too much for it. At first I thought I could always do a repaint, Then I noticed the dents where someone tried to put a kickstand on when i got home. They are not too bad but they are there, I might just build it up to be my rain bike and just leave it how it is.
Originally Posted by jamesj
Regarding my previous post about the grimey TREK what would you all do with it?
My personal opinion... The 1987 Trek 400 Elance is a really sweet bike. This bike has a butted 531 main frame with Tru-Temper CrMo stays and fork. Essentially, the 531 frame with CrMo fork and stays was a 600 series bike prior to 1986. Look at the geometry specs- it's a fairly steep front end, but the chainstays are longer than a race bike, but shorter than a tourer- it's the textbook "sports tourer" with rack mounts, dual bottle mounts, pump peg, integrated chain hanger, and an all-purpose body- and it can fit at least 700c x 32 tires. While the frame is really cool and quality and versatile- the stock components were pretty middle of the road. Definitely not bad- but nothing particularly grail-worthy (but the FD is pretty cool).

I've upgraded almost all the parts on my 1986 Trek 400 Elance to upper level stuff- Tri-color 600, Maillard 600 and 700 level hubs, XC Pro and XC Comp derailleurs, Avocet (Ofmega) cranks... I think it's an amazingly beautiful bike and it rides very nicely. However, the paint on mine is in better shape than yours. I think if this were considered a 600 series frame, there wouldn't be a whole lot of argument against a bike like this being worthy of a powder coat and good components.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 07:34 PM
  #1719  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Chain stays don't look bad. Maybe clean up the frame as good as you can, get rid of the rust, touch it up, or even just clear coat the whole thing. It'll have that "road worn" look to it. Then build it up. It'll be a great rider. And you wont have to worry about that first scratch.
Hobbiano is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 08:31 PM
  #1720  
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 935

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
My personal opinion... The 1987 Trek 400 Elance is a really sweet bike. This bike has a butted 531 main frame with Tru-Temper CrMo stays and fork. Essentially, the 531 frame with CrMo fork and stays was a 600 series bike prior to 1986. Look at the geometry specs- it's a fairly steep front end, but the chainstays are longer than a race bike, but shorter than a tourer- it's the textbook "sports tourer" with rack mounts, dual bottle mounts, pump peg, integrated chain hanger, and an all-purpose body- and it can fit at least 700c x 32 tires. While the frame is really cool and quality and versatile- the stock components were pretty middle of the road. Definitely not bad- but nothing particularly grail-worthy (but the FD is pretty cool).

I've upgraded almost all the parts on my 1986 Trek 400 Elance to upper level stuff- Tri-color 600, Maillard 600 and 700 level hubs, XC Pro and XC Comp derailleurs, Avocet (Ofmega) cranks... I think it's an amazingly beautiful bike and it rides very nicely. However, the paint on mine is in better shape than yours. I think if this were considered a 600 series frame, there wouldn't be a whole lot of argument against a bike like this being worthy of a powder coat and good components.

This is what I was looking for, I know it is a decent bike quality wise. As we all do I really love these TREK bikes, I just wasn't sure if it was really worth putting money into it. I have no problem putting it to use as my main winter rain bike. Regarding the stays they are not super compressed, its like someone started to put pressure on them and realized what they were doing and backed off. I have my I also have my 1980 TREK 412 that is in way more decent shape than this.

If it was a good enough bike I was thinking about approaching my friend Andrew Cooper to see if it was possible to replace the chain stays and do a frame repaint. Andrew Cooper
Here is the best pic I could get of the tubes.


jamesj is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 09:25 PM
  #1721  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,607

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 2,386 Times in 1,144 Posts
Don't you love kickstands?
curbtender is online now  
Old 10-08-18, 10:01 PM
  #1722  
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,536

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 474 Posts
If you have a friend willing to help with a repaint, why not? Not to be negative, but there are other areas of that frame in need of paint as well :|

If it were me, I’d build it up now, wax the frame thoroughly and ride it a bunch to see if she rides well enough to warrant a repaint. If not, maybe just a cleanup and rattle can job to prevent worse rust. But either way I’d get to know her first.
mountaindave is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 10:46 PM
  #1723  
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 935

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
If you have a friend willing to help with a repaint, why not? Not to be negative, but there are other areas of that frame in need of paint as well :|

If it were me, I’d build it up now, wax the frame thoroughly and ride it a bunch to see if she rides well enough to warrant a repaint. If not, maybe just a cleanup and rattle can job to prevent worse rust. But either way I’d get to know her first.


Thats what I was thinking myself. Get it taken apart, grease and built back up to see how it handles. For now im trying to get this damn thing out.

jamesj is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 07:19 AM
  #1724  
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,536

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
Thats what I was thinking myself. Get it taken apart, grease and built back up to see how it handles. For now im trying to get this damn thing out.

Were you able to back it out a bit? If so, cut it off, then use needle nose to work it out through the dropout? Or if you can manage to screw it in a couple turns, cut off the part inside the dropout, then back it out.
mountaindave is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 08:50 AM
  #1725  
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere west of Tobie's
Posts: 2,092

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Were you able to back it out a bit? If so, cut it off, then use needle nose to work it out through the dropout? Or if you can manage to screw it in a couple turns, cut off the part inside the dropout, then back it out.
+1
Hopefully you can at least get it spinning a bit.
I've had good luck cutting the section off that protrudes out the back, then using a needle-nose to unscrew it from the dropout slot.

BTW I've got an '87 400 frameset in very similar condition, with dents in the top tube where the handlebars slammed into it.
The frame is nice enough for me to go through the effort to roll the dents out and refinish the frame.

Hudson308 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.