Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Trek

Old 12-28-22, 09:05 PM
  #2451  
ehcoplex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 589 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave View Post
650b conversion?
Yup.
ehcoplex is offline  
Old 12-28-22, 11:49 PM
  #2452  
mountaindave 
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,421

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex View Post
Yup.
And you got 42mm Soma Grand Randonneurs in the back? Itís looking like a build Iíd do myself.
mountaindave is offline  
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 12-29-22, 06:04 AM
  #2453  
ehcoplex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 589 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave View Post
And you got 42mm Soma Grand Randonneurs in the back? Itís looking like a build Iíd do myself.
Yes, though clearance is pretty tight at the chain-stays. I think I'll dimple the stays just a bit for piece of mind, I just haven't got round to making some sort of dimpling jig.
ehcoplex is offline  
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-29-22, 08:38 AM
  #2454  
mountaindave 
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,421

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex View Post
Yes, though clearance is pretty tight at the chain-stays. I think I'll dimple the stays just a bit for piece of mind, I just haven't got round to making some sort of dimpling jig.
Iím in the same boat with my 710ís conversion. I can get away with 42s in dry conditions, but I hear scrubbing from grit in wet conditions. Just need to find one of those round tuitsÖ
mountaindave is offline  
Old 12-29-22, 03:17 PM
  #2455  
mhespenheide 
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Burien WA
Posts: 399

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave View Post
Iím in the same boat with my 710ís conversion. I can get away with 42s in dry conditions, but I hear scrubbing from grit in wet conditions. Just need to find one of those round tuitsÖ
Dave, can you say if 650b x 42's fit in the fork of your 710? That's one that I'm looking at for a potential future conversion.

I bought a 640 and it doesn't look like 42's will fit in the front fork...
mhespenheide is offline  
Old 12-29-22, 03:25 PM
  #2456  
mhespenheide 
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Burien WA
Posts: 399

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 122 Posts
Posting this here, but it's probably for posterity. Trek 640 frame that I bought off CL and the seller shipped to me from across the country. It's a touch too small, despite my best efforts at reading the geometry from the old catalogs. It's mocked up here as a possible 650b conversion, but, like I said, I probably need to go for the next size larger. The stem is maxed out and I'm not sure even a Technomic would make it work.

mhespenheide is offline  
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 12-29-22, 06:41 PM
  #2457  
mountaindave 
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,421

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 413 Posts
Mine has a replacement fork from aní85-ish Nashbar Tourť built for 27Ē wheels and cantis so I had room. Pretty sure they still would fit with the original fork though. Itís a Ď79 710 (see the photos in my sig in desktop mode).
mountaindave is offline  
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 12-29-22, 07:37 PM
  #2458  
romanlotus
The Expert
 
romanlotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: jersey city n.j.
Posts: 63

Bikes: Lotus,Centurion,Panasonic,Trek,Cannondale,Medici,Araya,Peugeot,Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts

My 1981.5 Trek 715
romanlotus is offline  
Likes For romanlotus:
Old 12-29-22, 07:40 PM
  #2459  
romanlotus
The Expert
 
romanlotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: jersey city n.j.
Posts: 63

Bikes: Lotus,Centurion,Panasonic,Trek,Cannondale,Medici,Araya,Peugeot,Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts

I bought it from the original owner and it was 100% all original.
romanlotus is offline  
Likes For romanlotus:
Old 12-29-22, 07:43 PM
  #2460  
romanlotus
The Expert
 
romanlotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: jersey city n.j.
Posts: 63

Bikes: Lotus,Centurion,Panasonic,Trek,Cannondale,Medici,Araya,Peugeot,Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts
romanlotus is offline  
Likes For romanlotus:
Old 12-29-22, 07:45 PM
  #2461  
romanlotus
The Expert
 
romanlotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: jersey city n.j.
Posts: 63

Bikes: Lotus,Centurion,Panasonic,Trek,Cannondale,Medici,Araya,Peugeot,Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts





romanlotus is offline  
Old 12-29-22, 07:59 PM
  #2462  
AdventureManCO 
Senior Member
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 1,588

Bikes: The Campagnolo Huffy w/ Home Depot tubulars

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 803 Posts
Originally Posted by romanlotus View Post



Really lovely bike, and in great shape.
AdventureManCO is offline  
Old 12-29-22, 10:32 PM
  #2463  
mountaindave 
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,421

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by romanlotus View Post

I bought it from the original owner and it was 100% all original.
That was an amazing find - even the tires are original! Like the owner bought it, put it in a hermetically sealed box for 40 years and then decided to sell.
mountaindave is offline  
Old 12-29-22, 11:46 PM
  #2464  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,381

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Paramount OS - 1982 Trek 720 - 1982 Trek 715 - 1981 Trek 710 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1985 Schwinn Voyageur SP - 1989 Cannondale SR - 2006 Orbea Onix - 2009 Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 821 Posts
Any day is a good day for a fully Reynolds 531 Trek, and that thing is spotless!
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-30-22, 05:34 PM
  #2465  
thumpism
Senior Member
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,781

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,354 Posts
More pix of that tall Elance. I'm astonished how decent it is overall despite the obviously trashed appearance. No dents or cracks that I can find, the BB and HS spin freely and it's straight. Even the top tube cable guides are undamaged. Damn, this would make a good project for someone but not for me.

It sure ain't pretty but would make a decent ride for somebody.


I don't know the Trek line by heart but recall seeing these 531 frames with Cr-Mo (specifically NOT 531) forks. Kind of an odd offering by the company.







Haven't tried a seatpost yet but assume it takes a 27.2.


thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-30-22, 06:35 PM
  #2466  
ehcoplex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 589 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
More pix of that tall Elance. I'm astonished how decent it is overall despite the obviously trashed appearance. No dents or cracks that I can find, the BB and HS spin freely and it's straight. Even the top tube cable guides are undamaged. Damn, this would make a good project for someone but not for me.
It sure ain't pretty but would make a decent ride for somebody.
I don't know the Trek line by heart but recall seeing these 531 frames with Cr-Mo (specifically NOT 531) forks. Kind of an odd offering by the company.

Haven't tried a seatpost yet but assume it takes a 27.2.
I'd guess it was purely a cost-saving decision to forgo 531 for the fork & stays (and may possibly have had as much to do with exchange rates, trade agreements, etc., at the time..). I've casually looked for a definitive description of what the real-world differences are between 'chrome-moly' and 'manganese-moly' but haven't come up with anything- at least that seemed 'definitive' (and described something that I personally might notice.... or at least understand!).
I does seem these Trek Elance frames are quite liked by those who have/ride them, even if they aren't highly regarded. I've only been able to try the one I picked up and reno'd on the rollers so far, so can't give a real-world impression. Funny thing is, I actually bought it to build up as a 650b conversion for a friend, but it turned out to be smaller than thought- he's quite tall. But it's my size, so I've built it up for myself. Your frame would be more his size..
ehcoplex is offline  
Old 12-30-22, 07:40 PM
  #2467  
ehcoplex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 589 Posts
thumpism , curious what the BB on your frame is. As far as I can tell, '87 was the only year with the '3 main tubes 531' and solid, sparkly dark blue (red & black being the other option), so I assume ours are the same year. Mine has a Hatta BB, but it's got threaded studs that take a nut.....

Ah, but just now I'm thinking maybe yours is a 400D, while mine's a 400T, which might explain it...
ehcoplex is offline  
Old 12-31-22, 07:18 AM
  #2468  
dmark 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 591

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 121 Posts
86 400 Elance was also 3 main tubes 531 with a tange fork and 4130 stays.
__________________
Last new bike 1991
dmark is offline  
Likes For dmark:
Old 12-31-22, 07:25 AM
  #2469  
ehcoplex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 589 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark View Post
86 400 Elance was also 3 main tubes 531 with a tange fork and 4130 stays.
Yup- though the '86 had a contrasting head-tube color.
ehcoplex is offline  
Old 12-31-22, 09:31 AM
  #2470  
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,224

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Posting this here, but it's probably for posterity. Trek 640 frame that I bought off CL and the seller shipped to me from across the country. It's a touch too small, despite my best efforts at reading the geometry from the old catalogs. It's mocked up here as a possible 650b conversion, but, like I said, I probably need to go for the next size larger. The stem is maxed out and I'm not sure even a Technomic would make it work.

A Technomic stem is about 40 mm taller than a normal stem. I measured mine and it is 150 mm from the minimum insertion line to the top, so it might be enough to put the bars at saddle height.

I agree, a larger frame would be the ideal solution, but a Technomic might work while you are searching.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 12-31-22, 12:57 PM
  #2471  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,393

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
I don't know the Trek line by heart but recall seeing these 531 frames with Cr-Mo (specifically NOT 531) forks. Kind of an odd offering by the company.
Originally Posted by ehcoplex View Post
I'd guess it was purely a cost-saving decision to forgo 531 for the fork & stays (and may possibly have had as much to do with exchange rates, trade agreements, etc., at the time..). I've casually looked for a definitive description of what the real-world differences are between 'chrome-moly' and 'manganese-moly' but haven't come up with anything- at least that seemed 'definitive' (and described something that I personally might notice.... or at least understand!).
I does seem these Trek Elance frames are quite liked by those who have/ride them, even if they aren't highly regarded. I've only been able to try the one I picked up and reno'd on the rollers so far, so can't give a real-world impression. Funny thing is, I actually bought it to build up as a 650b conversion for a friend, but it turned out to be smaller than thought- he's quite tall. But it's my size, so I've built it up for myself. Your frame would be more his size..
Think of where the bicycle tubing industry is in 1986. Reynolds/TI used to be so worried about counterfeit 531 tubing that they made their decals impossible to steal from one bike to another- in 1985 the 531 label was just a sticker. Steel tubing was quickly losing cachet. Of course it still meant something-

Look at the difference in the 1985 and 1986 catalog. (very loosely figure- 700 series bikes were more prestigious and expensive and went down from there). In 1985 there was:
700 series bikes (531 main frame with 531 stays and fork),
600 series bikes (531/Reynolds CrMo),
500 series bikes (501/Tange Mangalloy),
400 series bikes (True Temper CrMo/Tange Mangalloy).

In 1986 that changed to:
700 series bikes (531 main frame with 531 stays and fork)
500 series bikes (531/Tange CrMo)
400 series bikes (531/Tange CrMo)
300 series bikes (IshiwataCrMo/Ishiwata CrMo)

They cut out 600 series bikes- but the bikes that were essentially the same bikes were moved down in precedence to the the 400-500 level. A 'Tre-tubi' 531/CrMo bike was a step above entry level for Trek. While it speaks of the adage "Trek's entry level bikes were better than most companies' mid level bikes," it also speaks of the perceived value of 531.

ehcoplex The simple real-world difference between 531 and CrMo- is that it's stronger per it's weight. A CrMo tube would need to be drawn thicker, and therefore heavier to have the same strength as a 531 tube.

__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jiggliní huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 12-31-22, 01:32 PM
  #2472  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,381

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Paramount OS - 1982 Trek 720 - 1982 Trek 715 - 1981 Trek 710 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1985 Schwinn Voyageur SP - 1989 Cannondale SR - 2006 Orbea Onix - 2009 Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 821 Posts
Exactly. Trek and others were moving to aluminum etc, so I think there was also an "Everything [steel] must go!" mentality, especially as many 'lower level' Treks (the Elances and left over '85 frames) had some version or amount of 531 in them. They're good frames, the Elances, but there is no mistaking the extra weight of the non-531 tubing used and resulting less supple ride. We're talking an approximately 350g difference in a 25.5" frameset between a 700-level frame and anything below that, at least from the many that I've had and weighed. Put some true 35mm tires of quality at an appropriate pressure, and that will overcome the 'lesser' tubed frame's stiffer ride. Though I suppose if you have nicer roads that Seattle proper, it's not as needed. Glass smooth country roads with 25mm Gatorskins at 100 psi doesn't feel bad at all.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-31-22, 02:43 PM
  #2473  
brewerkz 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mason Ohio
Posts: 149

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '88 Schwinn Circuit, '85 Trek 660, 1982 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 42 Posts
1985 Trek 660

1985 Trek 660, 531 Reynolds tubing w/Cinelli BB, Superbe Pro components, more photos here:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1985-trek-660-47601

brewerkz is offline  
Likes For brewerkz:
Old 12-31-22, 06:43 PM
  #2474  
thumpism
Senior Member
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,781

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,354 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex View Post
thumpism , curious what the BB on your frame is. As far as I can tell, '87 was the only year with the '3 main tubes 531' and solid, sparkly dark blue (red & black being the other option), so I assume ours are the same year. Mine has a Hatta BB, but it's got threaded studs that take a nut.....

Ah, but just now I'm thinking maybe yours is a 400D, while mine's a 400T, which might explain it...
BB pic. Really haven't had a moment to do much more on this thing. Did find a spot to hang it up.
thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-01-23, 10:47 AM
  #2475  
mhespenheide 
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Burien WA
Posts: 399

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere View Post
A Technomic stem is about 40 mm taller than a normal stem. I measured mine and it is 150 mm from the minimum insertion line to the top, so it might be enough to put the bars at saddle height.

I agree, a larger frame would be the ideal solution, but a Technomic might work while you are searching.
I'll try it, but (like any quill stem), as you raise the stem, the handlebars also move back. I'd want to raise it up 2-3cm higher but keep the same forward extension. Can't really do that, though!
mhespenheide is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.