Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 07-20-16, 05:19 AM
  #2676  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I think I may have a 6 speed rear wheel. I won't be able to get to it til monday. But if I still have it you're welcome to it. You'd just have to pay for shipping. If you haven't gotten one by Monday I'll check my shed for it.
Thanks for the generous offer but I'm pretty sure my fork and frame are now beyond repair. I bent the fork trying to get the handlebars loose from the steerer tube and the top tube trying to get the seatpost free. The frame had a fair amount of rust but the components look almost new. I am currently considering buying a frame in my size with no rust or selling the components. This is the one I am looking at.
Hollywoodpete is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:43 PM
  #2677  
Senior Member
 
markwesti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seal Beach Ca. On the right , next to Long Beach
Posts: 1,815

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Hey Pete , you say you bent the fork how bad is it ? I might could use it .
markwesti is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:56 PM
  #2678  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,393

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywoodpete
Thanks for the generous offer but I'm pretty sure my fork and frame are now beyond repair. I bent the fork trying to get the handlebars loose from the steerer tube and the top tube trying to get the seatpost free. The frame had a fair amount of rust but the components look almost new. I am currently considering buying a frame in my size with no rust or selling the components. This is the one I am looking at. Centurion Super Tour Frame and Fork Headset Bracket Post | eBay

Ask the guy if the post will come loose on that one before committing to it
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 04:18 PM
  #2679  
Junior Member
 
zs3889's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Another quick update! I was determined to finish up the build yesterday so I can ride it to work today. Well, I stayed up until 2 am last night working on the bike and was able to get it 90% done. I'll be wrapping the handlebar tape later as I might need adjust the brake levers. I know the levers position is a little high on the handlebar but I'm trying to reduce the reach. The brake cable housing for front brake is too short and will need replacing (I just used the on that I had in my part bin). I did not have time to tune the rear derailleur last night so it's basically a single speed as of now. I'm also looking for a black saddle that has a more vintage look to it (mostly for shorter rides, 5-10 miles). I'm open for suggestion but hoping to keep it under $30. New or used welcome so if you got any that you wanna get rid of, I'm interested!

Guess which bike stands out the most at my work today!

zs3889 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 04:38 PM
  #2680  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 315

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zs3889
I'm also looking for a black saddle that has a more vintage look to it (mostly for shorter rides, 5-10 miles). I'm open for suggestion but hoping to keep it under $30. New or used welcome so if you got any that you wanna get rid of, I'm interested!
This Vetta saddle came off my Ironman. For $25 and shipping from Manhattan it's yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2969.jpg (83.5 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2968.jpg (87.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2967.jpg (89.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2966.jpg (88.7 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by johnlink; 07-21-16 at 04:41 PM.
johnlink is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 10:00 AM
  #2681  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by zs3889
Another quick update! I was determined to finish up the build yesterday so I can ride it to work today. Well, I stayed up until 2 am last night working on the bike and was able to get it 90% done. I'll be wrapping the handlebar tape later as I might need adjust the brake levers. I know the levers position is a little high on the handlebar but I'm trying to reduce the reach. The brake cable housing for front brake is too short and will need replacing (I just used the on that I had in my part bin). I did not have time to tune the rear derailleur last night so it's basically a single speed as of now. I'm also looking for a black saddle that has a more vintage look to it (mostly for shorter rides, 5-10 miles). I'm open for suggestion but hoping to keep it under $30. New or used welcome so if you got any that you wanna get rid of, I'm interested!

Guess which bike stands out the most at my work today!

Looking good, keep it going.
Truly does stand out, as an Ironman tends to do.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-22-16 at 10:46 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 11:53 AM
  #2682  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,393

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by johnlink
This Vetta saddle came off my Ironman. For $25 and shipping from Manhattan it's yours.

This is a heckuva deal @zs3889 ! ---- I actually picked up a couple of Origin 8 brand SAn Marco Concor knock off saddles through Amazon cheap also for a couple of my projects --- the foam feels a bit softer than I like , but they look the part

Even so, a deal on a used saddle that is the genuine article like this one is even better
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 12:13 PM
  #2683  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,508
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,505 Times in 1,509 Posts
58cm MV on the Richmond CL. I could facilitate.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik
seypat is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 04:08 PM
  #2684  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
This is a heckuva deal @zs3889 ! ---- I actually picked up a couple of Origin 8 brand SAn Marco Concor knock off saddles through Amazon cheap also for a couple of my projects --- the foam feels a bit softer than I like , but they look the part

Even so, a deal on a used saddle that is the genuine article like this one is even better
I'd go with his, but if you like the non-skid surface, I have it in black "suede" like his.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 07-23-16, 09:07 AM
  #2685  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Here's a repaint that doesn't offend me. In the guitar world this is called Daphne Blue. I think they were trying to match the 86 biopace decal. I like it. It needs a good cleaning, the Ironman decal,and the rest of the Centurion decals, but definitely worth the starting bid, however shipping is too high for me. It appears to be a 1986 54cm Ironman as stated by the seller.
54cm Centurion Dave Scott | eBay

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-23-16 at 09:12 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-23-16, 05:47 PM
  #2686  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
My 1988 52cm ready for our home town triathlon tomorrow. Continental gp 160 psi sew ups. Trialist disc wheel, and 18 spoke radially laced roval front wheel. All stuff from the 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160723_182426~2.jpg (95.8 KB, 247 views)
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-24-16, 07:39 AM
  #2687  
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Western MI
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
My 1988 52cm ready for our home town triathlon tomorrow. Continental gp 160 psi sew ups. Trialist disc wheel, and 18 spoke radially laced roval front wheel. All stuff from the 80s.
I'm not into the tri-bike thing but I have to say, your Ironman is very cool. Here's to low crosswinds
plonz is offline  
Old 07-24-16, 10:57 AM
  #2688  
Senior Member
 
ApolloSoyuz1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NW Ohio flatlander
Posts: 236

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aero-bar Grip Shift? Hell yeah!
ApolloSoyuz1975 is offline  
Old 07-24-16, 12:30 PM
  #2689  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,393

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
My 1988 52cm ready for our home town triathlon tomorrow. Continental gp 160 psi sew ups. Trialist disc wheel, and 18 spoke radially laced roval front wheel. All stuff from the 80s.

Cool set up! I wouldnt mind setting up a budget 80's inspired TT/tri bike with a Uni disc cover and some Scott or early Profile bars

Hope you kill it at the tri!
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-24-16, 08:28 PM
  #2690  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Well the Master IM is down for a little bit til i can get the wheel rebuilt.

was about 10 miles from home and this happened to the Rear wheel, It was the Original 36 hole Wolber Alpine. :-(
fleslider is offline  
Old 07-25-16, 07:28 AM
  #2691  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Well the Master IM is down for a little bit til i can get the wheel rebuilt.

was about 10 miles from home and this happened to the Rear wheel, It was the Original 36 hole Wolber Alpine. :-(
Nice looking Ironman. Sorry to hear about your rear wheel, rest in pieces wolber alpine.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-25-16, 07:42 AM
  #2692  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Rescue me! Look what they did to me! Help!
All theses phrases come to mind. However still shows you can do just about anything to an Ironman and it'll be functional.
In the hard to find 60cm. I'd flip the handle bars and turn it in to a SS........maybe.
CENTURION Dave Scott Ironman 60 cm
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-25-16, 07:44 PM
  #2693  
Senior Member
 
markwesti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seal Beach Ca. On the right , next to Long Beach
Posts: 1,815

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Rescue me! Look what they did to me! Help!
All theses phrases come to mind. However still shows you can do just about anything to an Ironman and it'll be functional.
In the hard to find 60cm. I'd flip the handle bars and turn it in to a SS........maybe.
CENTURION Dave Scott Ironman 60 cm
I think I'm gonna be sick .
markwesti is offline  
Old 07-25-16, 10:31 PM
  #2694  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Bars,tape and Brake Levers and she would be back to normal.. Ive seen worse...
fleslider is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 11:37 AM
  #2695  
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 5,317

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 278 Posts
'88 Expert:



'89 Expert:



Promo shot for the 'Great 105 vs GPX Shootout!'.



Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 11:46 AM
  #2696  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,393

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
'88 Expert:



'89 Expert:



Promo shot for the 'Great 105 vs GPX Shootout!'.



Top
Great Pics !
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 12:18 PM
  #2697  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
'88 Expert:



'89 Expert:



Promo shot for the 'Great 105 vs GPX Shootout!'.



Top
Nice. Who won?
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 12:21 PM
  #2698  
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 5,317

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Nice. Who won?
105, hands down.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 07:20 AM
  #2699  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I couldn't wait for summer to get here. Surprisingly it finally reached a 100 last week. Very unusual for it to take that long, although the heat index has been in the 100s for weeks.
I absolutely love summer and my home town triathlon has came and gone. Although I didn't place in the triathlon, thanks to my 88 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman I did manage to average 22.6 mph on the 12 mile bike course. I was 2 minutes short of placing, pretty good considering zero swim training. I'm hoping to average 23 mph before the years up. Ok later Irongents.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:35 AM
  #2700  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Well the Master IM is down for a little bit til i can get the wheel rebuilt.

was about 10 miles from home and this happened to the Rear wheel, It was the Original 36 hole Wolber Alpine. :-(
Ouch!
RobbieTunes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.