Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 07-11-19, 01:26 PM
  #7001  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Not my bike and I don't know the owner , also a bad description of what I think is a 85' Ironman . Thru me off for a second with the "Masters" tag , we all know there is no Masters in less of course you are talking plural . So what do you think @texaspandj is it a 54cm or a 56cm ? Friendly price though .

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...931242134.html

Looking at the pump peg, I'd say a 58.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 02:31 PM
  #7002  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
'85 Ironman, 58cm.
I just think that color scheme is really cool.

I was saving my pennies in a 5 gallon water bottle, for components to put on just such an Ironman. But just cashed it in to pay for entry fee in local triathlon. So I had just completely covered the inside bottom bottle with coins and it came out to little over 75 bucks.
So now I start over. Looks like no hurry anyway.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-12-19 at 04:21 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 09:06 AM
  #7003  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
I have a job for the IM Nation. The beater red/white 85/6 I saved a year or 2 ago is getting pressed into service. I bought it to be a loaner bike for prospective Tri/cyclists. The loanee is on my Marathon training team. He is taking swim lessons and needs a ride. 5'10-11 and stringbeanish. He should become a good triathlete if he sticks with it. I think a 56cm will work. Might need a longer stem.
I need some recommendations on the build. I will attempt a cheap build using as many existing shop parts as I can. I have a 7 speed 105 wheelset. I might go with some brifters if I can find some cheapies. The crank will be a 110 double. The main question is 50/34 or 52/36? If I go 52/36, i can go with a common 13/something cassette. 50/34 might require some more top end on the cassette.
So, give me some ideas on what kind of build to go with. The main objective is to give the person a chance to try cycling/ tri and see if he likes it before he has to invest some serious dough.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 09:11 AM
  #7004  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Also, all of the stuff to build up the Turbo are in. I should get that built up within the week. The bike's official name now is "Boost." Instead of pedaling it around, I will be "spooling it up."
seypat is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 10:06 AM
  #7005  
fleslider
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,273

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Also, all of the stuff to build up the Turbo are in. I should get that built up within the week. The bike's official name now is "Boost." Instead of pedaling it around, I will be "spooling it up."
I wont ask where the blow off valve will be.. since the mouth and nose is the intake..

Keep us posted on the build!
fleslider is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 11:24 AM
  #7006  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
I have a job for the IM Nation. The beater red/white 85/6 I saved a year or 2 ago is getting pressed into service. I bought it to be a loaner bike for prospective Tri/cyclists. The loanee is on my Marathon training team. He is taking swim lessons and needs a ride. 5'10-11 and stringbeanish. He should become a good triathlete if he sticks with it. I think a 56cm will work. Might need a longer stem.
I need some recommendations on the build. I will attempt a cheap build using as many existing shop parts as I can. I have a 7 speed 105 wheelset. I might go with some brifters if I can find some cheapies. The crank will be a 110 double. The main question is 50/34 or 52/36? If I go 52/36, i can go with a common 13/something cassette. 50/34 might require some more top end on the cassette.
So, give me some ideas on what kind of build to go with. The main objective is to give the person a chance to try cycling/ tri and see if he likes it before he has to invest some serious dough.
Since I don't have any experience with a compact crankset, I really can't comment. Buuut... whatever the terrain calls for in the Tri is what I'd appreciate, if it were me.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 11:45 AM
  #7007  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
I wont ask where the blow off valve will be.. since the mouth and nose is the intake..

Keep us posted on the build!


BTW, what is the latest update on the Zunow IM?
seypat is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 11:57 AM
  #7008  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Since I don't have any experience with a compact crankset, I really can't comment. Buuut... whatever the terrain calls for in the Tri is what I'd appreciate, if it were me.
Around here, there is no truly flat. You need some gearing on the bottom end. Me, I need lots of gearing on the bottom end.
With the compact, he could run something like a 12/24, 13/24, etc. in back. Plus, good chance the bike he settles on next will have a compact. Or maybe he buys the IM. The more I think about it, maybe a pair of cheap clip on aero bars with indexed barcons on them would be the way to go. He's probably going to clip some on anyway. He's a complete newbie, so he doesn't have any input for me.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 01:09 PM
  #7009  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,284
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
36/24 should be fine for a young stringbean. I did SOTR on a 40/30 granny and I am neither young nor a stringbean. The problem I always have, when riding in Va., is spinning out on the top end.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 02:35 PM
  #7010  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,309

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Pair a 52/36 with a 13- 28 cog set out back and you'll be fine.
That's what I run on my 88 SR500 and did a fine job cooking my 37 year old SiL this past week in NC.
Gives you 30-ish on the bottom end and 100-ish gear inches on the top end.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 03:26 PM
  #7011  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
So I put my race wheels on my '88 Carbon Ironman and took it out for a test ride. And I got a click coming from the Front wheel. I don't know what it is, possibly the hub? The click us definitely the front wheel. There's nothing hitting anywhere. When I spin it on the Stand there isn't any click. Possibly the spokes settling in and the plastic deep section clicking? @RobbieTunes k know you had a rear hub bust on you did it start off with clicking first?
It's disconcerting to say the least, and I may just go with my other front race wheel. But I'd rather use the deep section wheel.
Pics in a bit.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 05:24 PM
  #7012  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts

Well not sure to go with this setup or switch out the front wheel to stop the annoying clicking.
When I replaced, the wheel the clicking stopped. When I flipped wheel it stopped then started again. When I loosened skewer it stopped then started again.
The race site is only 1.5 miles away so I'll ride there and if it's too annoying I'll just change out front wheel, otherwise I'm gonna use it....lessen someone talks me out if it. I mean, come on, it's a short 20k, what could go wrong?
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 05:27 PM
  #7013  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,284
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
So I put my race wheels on my '88 Carbon Ironman and took it out for a test ride. And I got a click coming from the Front wheel. I don't know what it is, possibly the hub? The click us definitely the front wheel. There's nothing hitting anywhere. When I spin it on the Stand there isn't any click. Possibly the spokes settling in and the plastic deep section clicking? @RobbieTunes k know you had a rear hub bust on you did it start off with clicking first?
It's disconcerting to say the least, and I may just go with my other front race wheel. But I'd rather use the deep section wheel.
Pics in a bit.
Finally Found Cause of Clicking, What to Do Next?
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 05:55 PM
  #7014  
robertj298
Senior Member
 
robertj298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1989 Expert All stock except tires and take

robertj298 is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 06:46 PM
  #7015  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
^^^And saddle. Nicely Done.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 08:29 PM
  #7016  
TXsailor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bowie Texas
Posts: 437

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ragbrai tune up ride


There is 3/4 of our Team. You will notice 2 of us are on our Ironman's. Granddaughter aka Iron maiden loves hers. We rode a hilly 60 mile organized ride today that gave her triple a workout. Thanks @seypat.
TXsailor is offline  
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 07-13-19, 11:18 PM
  #7017  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,069

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post

There is 3/4 of our Team. You will notice 2 of us are on our Ironman's. Granddaughter aka Iron maiden loves hers. We rode a hilly 60 mile organized ride today that gave her triple a workout. Thanks @seypat.
Peach Pedal? I missed it this year, again. Maybe next year.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 11:34 PM
  #7018  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post

There is 3/4 of our Team. You will notice 2 of us are on our Ironman's. Granddaughter aka Iron maiden loves hers. We rode a hilly 60 mile organized ride today that gave her triple a workout. Thanks @seypat.
That's a good looking team. I like the team kits.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 07:17 AM
  #7019  
TXsailor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bowie Texas
Posts: 437

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes the Peach Pedal. I have done it several times but this is the first on a Centurion.
TXsailor is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 07:21 AM
  #7020  
TXsailor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bowie Texas
Posts: 437

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The lady on the left bought them for our team. She's the owner of our local health food store. Here is the back with her logo.
TXsailor is offline  
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 07-14-19, 09:27 AM
  #7021  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
That's a good looking team. I like the team kits.
+1
Looking Good.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:30 AM
  #7022  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Pair a 52/36 with a 13- 28 cog set out back and you'll be fine.
That's what I run on my 88 SR500 and did a fine job cooking my 37 year old SiL this past week in NC.
Gives you 30-ish on the bottom end and 100-ish gear inches on the top end.
That sounds like the right combo. Thanks for the info.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 12:04 PM
  #7023  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts
Just finished up our hometown triathlon. My swim and everyone's was a bit slower due to the one of four portions being against a strong current. Oh well it was the same for every one alike. I'm not a strong swimmer. On the bike I let my Carbon Ironman down. The first half I went out entirely too fast and got it under control on the second half. I thought I would average higher by 2 mph but could only muster 20.4 mph on the short 20k. Well at least I felt good. On the run it took half of the 3.5 mile route to finally match my breathing rate with my running pace. You know where you're working hard but going nowhere.
I know from experience that as I do more triathlons during the season I just get progressively Faster. The problem is I only have one more scheduled and it's in late October. I used to do 2-3 a month during the season bitd. But you know how it is Life gets in the way.....wait did I say wife or life?
No matter I still placed first in the fogey 55-59. Although I'm dissatisfied with my cycling performance I did pass a mess of Carbon and one steel bike (mostly because of my swim seeding). Only two carbons passed me on the bike leg. They were moving and completely Carboned Out. I've got to do some interval work ala Doc or become a big gear masher like RT (as evidenced by breaking carbon, and sweating cable eyelets off), or maybe become smarter like Mr. Westi and just have another shot.
Meanwhile my Vintage Carbon Ironman had settled it's ticking issue. I can only guess it was the under used spokes settling back in.
My wife took a pic so I could put on here but I don't even like wearing the finishers medal much less a place medal. Btw , back in the day it was trophies, I miss that. However I did notice the first master and grandmaster (not sure what age that is) got a type of trophy. I told my wife that i want That, and she looked at my belly and said are you sure? I know I can be a better athlete, and I'm gonna set my goals and try to do that and I'm Gonna Do It.....but do I really have to diet? I currently eat like I m doing Twice the distance training I actually am. Let's keep those freewheels turning Irongents but now at warp speed.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-14-19 at 12:30 PM.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-14-19, 12:10 PM
  #7024  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,309

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
That sounds like the right combo. Thanks for the info.
Oops!
Just checked it while putting it back up on the rack and it's got a 52/34 combo. Gear inch numbers are solid, tho.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 12:28 PM
  #7025  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,069

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Just finished up our hometown triathlon. My swim and everyone's was a bit slower due to the one of four portions being against a strong current. Oh well it was the same for every one alike. I'm not a strong swimmer. On the bike I let my Carbon Ironman down. The first half I went out entirely too fast and got it under control on the second half. I thought I would average higher by 2 mph but could only muster 20.4 mph on the short 20k. Well at least I felt good. On the run it took half of the 3.5 mile route to finally match my breathing rate with my running pace. You know where you're working hard but going nowhere.
I know from experience that as I do more triathlons during the season I just get progressively Faster. The problem is I only have one more scheduled and it's in late October. I used to do 2-3 a month during the season bitd. But you know how it is Life gets in the way.....wait did I say wife or life?
No matter I still placed first in the fogey 55-59. Although I'm dissatisfied with my cycling performance I did pass a mess of Carbon and one steel bike (mostly because of my swim seeding). Only two carbons passed me on the bike leg. They were moving and completely Carboned Out. I've got to do some interval work ala Doc or become a big gear masher like RT (as evidenced by breaking carbon, and sweating cable eyelets off), or maybe become smarter like Mr. Westi and just have another shot.
Meanwhile my Vintage Carbon Ironman had settled it's ticking issue. I can only guess it was the under used spokes settling back in.
My wife took a pic so I could put on here but I don't even like wearing the finishers medal much less a place medal. Btw , back in the day it was trophies, I miss that. However I did notice the first master and grandmaster (not sure what age that is) got a type of trophy. I told my wife that i want That, and she looked at my belly and said are you sure? I know I can be a better athlete, and I'm gonna set my goals and try to do that and I'm Gonna Do It.....but do I really have to diet? I currently eat like I m doing Twice the distance training I actually am. Let's keep those freewheels turning Irongents but now at warp speed.
Well done. Checking Strava, I'm not sure I've ever sustained 20+ mph for more than 5 miles even on relatively flat terrain here -- which we don't have much of. If I can crack 20 mph on some stretches of my two favorite training routes I might be ready to tackle a time trial again.

On the plus side, my climbing is getting better. I'm not any stronger, but losing 10-15 lbs since last year helped.
canklecat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.