Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 10-24-20, 09:03 PM
  #9226  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,219

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Liked 1,386 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
OK, now you folks have me trolling CL for bikes. Found a nice Ironman with Shimano 600 for $500 in LA, if anyone is interested. (I was looking for a bike for tall co-worker, and this came up. Not the right size, unfortunately.)

IMO its overpriced for an Ironman. Especially now since the panic pandemic bike boom is over.
bfuser10291295 is offline  
Likes For bfuser10291295:
Old 10-25-20, 06:10 AM
  #9227  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Correct, sir.
His entire family has been bike-centric since he was a kid. Now he is 38 & we were evenly matched for a few years when he was out of shape.
He and my daughter started doing spin classes three and four times a week two years ago.
That was bad enough.
Then they acquired a Peloton bike a year ago and have been using it four and five times weekly.
Now I struggle to get ahead of him.
On the other hand, Iím 31 years older.
So...thereís that.
You have better beer cognizance.
Your knowledge of rock music on vinyl is second only to Barry Hansen.
Thereís the RC thing, how cool is that?
You are Doc Cannondale. Legend to at least 6 people.
And thereís Wally.

Donít sell yourself short.
He owes you.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 11:07 AM
  #9228  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You have better beer cognizance.
Your knowledge of rock music on vinyl is second only to Barry Hansen.
Thereís the RC thing, how cool is that?
You are Doc Cannondale. Legend to at least 6 people.
And thereís Wally.

Donít sell yourself short.
He owes you.

Exactly. Look at the jet setting life Doc leads. He's right there with the Most Interesting Man the World.

You of course, with your way with the ladies, might be closer to Austin Powers or Tony Sinclair.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 12:32 PM
  #9229  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 423

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Liked 211 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
He owes you.
Sons-in-Law generally owe big-time, in my book.

Thanks to all for spelling it out for me.
tgot is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 01:15 PM
  #9230  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
I knew what S I L meant.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-25-20, 04:45 PM
  #9231  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You of course, with your way with the ladies, might be closer to Austin Powers or Tony Sinclair.
or Mini-Me

Easier to take risks when you have nothing to lose.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 04:58 PM
  #9232  
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,513

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,809 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Phil Dunphy is my spirit animal. Whenever I feel like I might be a little hip, I watch Modern Family and remember... oh, right...
canklecat is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 05:08 PM
  #9233  
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,513

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,809 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
OK, now you folks have me trolling CL for bikes. Found a nice Ironman with Shimano 600 for $500 in LA, if anyone is interested. (I was looking for a bike for tall co-worker, and this came up. Not the right size, unfortunately.)
Frame looks good but the chain, freewheel and various fasteners look like it's been stored outdoors for years -- maybe under an awning or non-air conditioned garage, but outdoors.

Even by SoCal standards that might be worth $300, assuming the frame and fork are good. Kinda depends on availability. Some places are still short of new and used bikes.

Right now I'm looking for any bikes with good wheels, just for the wheels. Considering the cost of wheels, even used wheels with shipping, it's almost worthwhile to buy a used bike just for the wheels and components. Dunno why, but after going for years with no wheel problems, I've nearly ruined four rear wheels just over the summer, including three on my Ironman: two with irreparably cracked rear rims; one older sealed cartridge bearing hub that looked like it had been lubricated with salt water (probably sweat and electrolytes); a fourth that suddenly went so badly out of true I'll need to have a friend who's a wheelbuilder fix it for me since I don't have a wheel stand, tension doodad, etc.

I don't weigh that much, just 150, and I don't abuse anything. But most of my favorite routes have been torn up and replaced with the roughest chipseal I've ever ridden. I'm seeing the advantage to the recent switch to gravel or all-road bikes, just to keep up with deteriorating roads.
canklecat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 06:00 AM
  #9234  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
or Mini-Me

Easier to take risks when you have nothing to lose.
This Tony Sinclair, in case you didn't know who I was talking about.

seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 09:04 AM
  #9235  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Phil Dunphy is my spirit animal. Whenever I feel like I might be a little hip, I watch Modern Family and remember... oh, right...
My spirit animal is the Sloth.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 09:51 AM
  #9236  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Just like everyone else, my 2020 hasn't quite worked out as planned.
To begin with my daughter didn't start Actual kindergarten. Had she started school in Sept this is what I had planned. Drop her off at school then head to gym for 1 hour swim workout. Then get home and run for 30 minutes to an hour. Have lunch with my wife then 1.5 to 2 hour bike ride. Then pick up my daughter from school. Then I was gonna join twitter, facebook, instagram and report all my workouts and wish everyone a great day, you know just to rub it in to my biking Buddy and everyone stuck at work...But NO! Instead I'm stuck at home supervising my daughter's Zoom classes at 8am, 10am and 12pm (noon). And to top that off I haven't had a haircut in 6 months!
Ny wife works so hard at keeping me and my daughter safe so I don't dare go against her wishes about where I can and can't go. However she's loosened up some and we now get to go shopping on weekends.. so there's that. Actually I'm "allowed" to go to the barber shop now but I've decided to let it grow til next spring. The surprising part is what little hair I have is growing So Slow and it's old man hair...you know,...it's but a Wisp.
Generally, in June I'm 15 pounds less than I was in January. But this year i never lost the 15 pounds so no telling how much I'll weigh at the beginning of January.
I really thought this was gonna be my year, where working out was gonna be my Thang. And get me back to a level that would make it hard to beat me in my triathlon age group. Oh well...in January I'll start training again and hope No More Cancelled Races!!!
Were your plans derailed as well?

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-26-20 at 09:55 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-26-20, 12:15 PM
  #9237  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Just like everyone else, my 2020 hasn't quite worked out as planned.
To begin with my daughter didn't start Actual kindergarten. Had she started school in Sept this is what I had planned. Drop her off at school then head to gym for 1 hour swim workout. Then get home and run for 30 minutes to an hour. Have lunch with my wife then 1.5 to 2 hour bike ride. Then pick up my daughter from school. Then I was gonna join twitter, facebook, instagram and report all my workouts and wish everyone a great day, you know just to rub it in to my biking Buddy and everyone stuck at work...But NO! Instead I'm stuck at home supervising my daughter's Zoom classes at 8am, 10am and 12pm (noon). And to top that off I haven't had a haircut in 6 months!
Ny wife works so hard at keeping me and my daughter safe so I don't dare go against her wishes about where I can and can't go. However she's loosened up some and we now get to go shopping on weekends.. so there's that. Actually I'm "allowed" to go to the barber shop now but I've decided to let it grow til next spring. The surprising part is what little hair I have is growing So Slow and it's old man hair...you know,...it's but a Wisp.
Generally, in June I'm 15 pounds less than I was in January. But this year i never lost the 15 pounds so no telling how much I'll weigh at the beginning of January.
I really thought this was gonna be my year, where working out was gonna be my Thang. And get me back to a level that would make it hard to beat me in my triathlon age group. Oh well...in January I'll start training again and hope No More Cancelled Races!!!
Were your plans derailed as well?
Before I respond to your post, I noticed that Texas lost another musical icon on 10/23/20. He was an icon where I grew up, at least. RIP Jerry Jeff Walker. He made famous some songs that some others wrote that became underground hits during the time frame I grew up in. Most of his songs were/are not politically correct, but they do capture some of the Texas flavor. "London Homesick Blues" and "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" were Texas/C&W anthems back in the day.(as much as I to say it) Right up there with David Allen Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name." That's the greatest country song of all time! So, have a moment of silence and raise a glass for Jerry Jeff Walker. Not many like him left on this side of the grass.

Last edited by seypat; 10-26-20 at 12:28 PM.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 12:57 PM
  #9238  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Just like everyone else, my 2020 hasn't quite worked out as planned.
To begin with my daughter didn't start Actual kindergarten. Had she started school in Sept this is what I had planned. Drop her off at school then head to gym for 1 hour swim workout. Then get home and run for 30 minutes to an hour. Have lunch with my wife then 1.5 to 2 hour bike ride. Then pick up my daughter from school. Then I was gonna join twitter, facebook, instagram and report all my workouts and wish everyone a great day, you know just to rub it in to my biking Buddy and everyone stuck at work...But NO! Instead I'm stuck at home supervising my daughter's Zoom classes at 8am, 10am and 12pm (noon). And to top that off I haven't had a haircut in 6 months!
Ny wife works so hard at keeping me and my daughter safe so I don't dare go against her wishes about where I can and can't go. However she's loosened up some and we now get to go shopping on weekends.. so there's that. Actually I'm "allowed" to go to the barber shop now but I've decided to let it grow til next spring. The surprising part is what little hair I have is growing So Slow and it's old man hair...you know,...it's but a Wisp.
Generally, in June I'm 15 pounds less than I was in January. But this year i never lost the 15 pounds so no telling how much I'll weigh at the beginning of January.
I really thought this was gonna be my year, where working out was gonna be my Thang. And get me back to a level that would make it hard to beat me in my triathlon age group. Oh well...in January I'll start training again and hope No More Cancelled Races!!!
Were your plans derailed as well?
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I had so much stuff cancelled and so much stuff that has happened. I finally adopted a slogan from the past. Keep on trucking! I'll tell you how it's going. I have this stretch this time of year where I run the Marine Corps Marathon then the Richmond Marathon 2 or 3 weeks later. Last year I would have PRed both except I hit a joint and went down in the MCM. So, I ran the MCM virtually this past Saturday with a group of ladies(tough life) that are also running Richmond. We decided to not worry about time and just goofed along until we finished. Our time was slightly over an hour slower than my usual marathon finish time. I thought it would be easier than going for a PR, but it wasn't! By the time I finished I was pegged and having to run intervals. I have to give props to those people at the very back slogging through the 5-7 hour marathons. Those are the real warriors. So now I have the Richmond in 2 weekends. The reality is that my best effort will probably be around 30 minutes slower than last years. That's just the way it is this year. I look at where I was from April through June with the injury though, and I'm doing all right. I've come a long ways. There you go. It will get better. I'll leave you with this.

seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 03:21 PM
  #9239  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Looky, looky RT. Price is steep, but maybe negotiable.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/991167435/

Small MV in great shape.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 03:57 PM
  #9240  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Small MV

Originally Posted by seypat
Looky, looky RT. Price is steep, but maybe negotiable.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/991167435/

Small MV in great shape.
Price is reasonable, too...
I've got black 6700 just waiting for something like that.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 09:21 PM
  #9241  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
https://charlottesville.craigslist.o...220701020.html

This one popped up as well. Looks like a 54cm. Red/white with the white forks. It's about 1 1/2 hours away. If someone has an interest, I might be able to pick it up this weekend. It appears to have a triple.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 09:31 PM
  #9242  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
https://richmond.craigslist.org/bop/...220516992.html

This 7700 RD is sitting on my local CL The seller also has the matching crank.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bop/d/richmond-dura-ace-crankset-speed/7205267861.html
seypat is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 10:13 PM
  #9243  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
https://charlottesville.craigslist.o...220701020.html

This one popped up as well. Looks like a 54cm. Red/white with the white forks. It's about 1 1/2 hours away. If someone has an interest, I might be able to pick it up this weekend. It appears to have a triple.
Looks more like a 56cm to me...and a good buy.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 10:39 PM
  #9244  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Looks more like a 56cm to me...and a good buy.
I thought the pump peg was centered. Looking at it again, you're probably correct. I wish it was a drive side pic so I could see the crank and derailleurs. Still, maybe I could get it for a Benjamin. Maybe the seller has the old parts as well. I'll send him a message anyway and get some more pics.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-27-20, 05:27 AM
  #9245  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I thought the pump peg was centered. Looking at it again, you're probably correct. I wish it was a drive side pic so I could see the crank and derailleurs. Still, maybe I could get it for a Benjamin. Maybe the seller has the old parts as well. I'll send him a message anyway and get some more pics.
My money is on 58cm. Bad camera angle.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-27-20, 07:16 AM
  #9246  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
I contacted the seller for some more pics and a measurement of the ST. In the meantime, let's have some fun. We have one pic to go on. What else can we ID about the bike that might be good or bad.

After looking at it again, I'm thinking 56 instead of 54. Looks like that could be a Deore MT60 crankset and derailleurs that might have been swapped in when the bike was originally purchased. The location is in a hilly part of the state. That might be the ugliest stem setup I've ever seen, but if it works so be it. What is the spot about midway on the TT? Is that a paint chip? Is that a bar end mirror or an interruptor brake lever?
seypat is offline  
Old 10-27-20, 07:47 AM
  #9247  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I had so much stuff cancelled and so much stuff that has happened. I finally adopted a slogan from the past. Keep on trucking! I'll tell you how it's going. I have this stretch this time of year where I run the Marine Corps Marathon then the Richmond Marathon 2 or 3 weeks later. Last year I would have PRed both except I hit a joint and went down in the MCM. So, I ran the MCM virtually this past Saturday with a group of ladies(tough life) that are also running Richmond. We decided to not worry about time and just goofed along until we finished. Our time was slightly over an hour slower than my usual marathon finish time. I thought it would be easier than going for a PR, but it wasn't! By the time I finished I was pegged and having to run intervals. I have to give props to those people at the very back slogging through the 5-7 hour marathons. Those are the real warriors. So now I have the Richmond in 2 weekends. The reality is that my best effort will probably be around 30 minutes slower than last years. That's just the way it is this year. I look at where I was from April through June with the injury though, and I'm doing all right. I've come a long ways. There you go. It will get better. I'll leave you with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZTzHXSmRfk
Yeah, I always go back to this song. A song our band has played a couple of times.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-27-20, 08:07 AM
  #9248  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,240

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts

Make sure seller measures here to..

Here. That's the only way to get a "Centurion" measurement.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-27-20, 09:04 AM
  #9249  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj

Make sure seller measures here to..

Here. That's the only way to get a "Centurion" measurement.
That's how I told the seller to measure it.

That's a smooth tune you posted. When your band is/was playing and you transition between different styles of music is it easy to do? You just go from something hard to something 'hotel/motel time" like that no sweat? Or is your set list more like a roller coaster with peaks and valleys? Do you have to read the crowd and be able to switch gears at any moment? Just curious.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-27-20, 09:40 AM
  #9250  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts


So the seller got back to me with the size using the method texaspandj outlined above. No other pics yet. Drum roll please:

And the winner is....................22 inches. Texaspandj nails it! "Tell him what he's won, Bob."

Dang, I already have a red/white 56. Still, the family is going to the Inlaws this weekend. That could be a decent day trip. It's a nice drive with the leaves turning. It's also apple orchard county. I might go look at it this weekend anyway.
seypat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.