Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Celeste color

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Celeste color

Old 09-23-11, 10:43 PM
  #1  
Ecrevisse
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ecrevisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rosanky, Texas
Posts: 308

Bikes: Steel is real. All others need not apply.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi Celeste color

Celeste is Bianchi's official color. If I remember correctly, it has changed over the years. I remember seeing a very old Bianchi celeste that looked blue rather than the current green color.

Here is a Bianchi advertisement:


Here is my 1983 Specialissima:


I thought there would be a noticeable difference. But it does not look different at all. So I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this - Celeste (color).There has been variation over the years.
Ecrevisse is offline  
Old 09-23-11, 11:01 PM
  #2  
Otis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
There's a lot of variation over the years. I have original examples of a 1960, 1977, and 1981 bike in Celeste and none match each other at all.

What's that ad from? The copy is dated (I would guess from the mid 80's), why is the photo a modern bike? Are they re-hashing their old marketing?
Otis is offline  
Old 09-23-11, 11:14 PM
  #3  
Captain Blight
Senior Member
 
Captain Blight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,473

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to confuse things: one of the Schneider Cup air racers of the '30s- the seaplanes- was the Abrahamic progenitor of the lineage that graced the skies with beauty and valor through that era and the War. The Supermarine-crud, I'm posting from a dumbphone and can't save the post AND search-- but you know the one I mean. Right? Like the 1927 or 29 Schneider Cup racers.

Forgive me, I digress. ANYWAYz, this plane was powered by a Napier engine, a behemoth of engineering that was startlingly advanced for its day. It was painted in a hard-to-pin-down shade of jade-ish turquoise or some such shxt, and (que minor chord fluorish) became known as British Racing green. For a while, until Bentley and Jaguar re-defined it by winning in auto races, Napier blue-- just a tick more blue than Celeste-- was the color of Champions.

it doesn't hurt that much of the plane's structure was something much like 531.
Captain Blight is offline  
Old 09-23-11, 11:32 PM
  #4  
RFC
Senior Member
 
RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,466

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Then what is the official Celeste?
RFC is offline  
Old 09-23-11, 11:58 PM
  #5  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,590

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24555 Post(s)
Liked 8,290 Times in 5,799 Posts
Bet they got a good deal on it, too........

So does this mean there is no truth to the rumor that
Bianchi Celeste is actually surplus Italian navy primer paint
left over from WW II ?

Edit:
Contradictory myths say celeste is the colour of the Milan sky;
the eye colour of a former queen for whom Edoardo Bianchi made a bicycle;
and that it was a mixture of surplus military paint.
Oops, guess not.
__________________

Last edited by 3alarmer; 09-24-11 at 12:02 AM.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 12:27 AM
  #6  
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Posts: 4,823
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Celeste is funny, I think they've just been doing it so long they can't stop since it's become their trademark color (whether they like it or not)
mazdaspeed is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 05:33 AM
  #7  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I may or may not have called Celeste "fairy barf" over here. I still want one.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 05:44 AM
  #8  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 29,266

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 2,212 Times in 1,233 Posts
I guess since I don't read cycling magazines often, they just don't seem to have stories like the '80s, I never saw the add. I am however reall miffed that Bianchi never sent me a ballot!

Thant being said Celeste has certainly changed over the years, most notable in the late '80s early to mid '90s when Bianchi used that hedious "Mint Celeste" and the much nicer Nuovo Celeste with the blueish pear to it.

since most of bikes are from the same era they all appear to be very close save for one. my '90 Proto has a slightly darker and very deep rich color to it which I assume is simply because the frames were painted statside with Dupont Imron rather than the Italian Navy primer (BTW do you know why the Italian Navy ships have glass bottoms?)

the actual name Celeste I believe is Italian for Blue. I also believethe color was first used on the racing motor cycles and racing team. either the bikes or the team was refered to as the Freccia Celest, Blue Arrow, but I need to reread my Bianchi history book. I am not sure if the King and Queen actually rode around on Celeste bikes but I don't think the color was ever applied to any cars or trucks.

what I can't understand is that Bianchi lets trek get away with that seafoam color nonsense. it is clearly an attempt to copy Bianchis trademark color and thereby gain some sort of prestige for their POC bikes
__________________
ďOne morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-24-11 at 09:19 AM.
Bianchigirll is offline  
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-24-11, 07:36 AM
  #9  
shadoman
Senior Member
 
shadoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: the LOU, Mo
Posts: 584

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post

the actual name Celeste I believe is Italian for Blue...
Celeste means Heavenly ( as in celestial ?) Shame on you BG ! I'd have thought you'd have changed your name to THAT !!!
shadoman is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 09:14 AM
  #10  
lostarchitect 
incazzare.
 
lostarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Catskills/Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6,976

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Frankly, I really don't like it. If I was in the market for a Bianchi I'd go out of my way to find one in another color.
__________________
1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2011 Dick Chafe, 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter
lostarchitect is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 09:40 AM
  #11  
vjp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a barely used 1980 Bianchi Super Leggera that the original owner stripped and spray bombed metallic blue when NEW!! Apparently for the same reasons as you. I love Celeste but I may re-paint it black just because I have never seen one in that option.

Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
Frankly, I really don't like it. If I was in the market for a Bianchi I'd go out of my way to find one in another color.
vjp is offline  
Old 09-24-11, 09:41 AM
  #12  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 29,266

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 2,212 Times in 1,233 Posts
Originally Posted by shadoman View Post
Celeste means Heavenly ( as in celestial ?) Shame on you BG ! I'd have thought you'd have changed your name to THAT !!!
well I did say I thought it was blue and I had not read the book in several years. about halfway through the text you'll see a reference to Freccia Celeste aka Blue Arrow

this Bianchi history book seems to deal, IMHO, way too much with the Moto Bianchi racing teams and bikes, but I guess they are more exciting than bicycles. the cars and truck shown were fabulous too.



although for some reason Bianchi printed the book in both Italian and English so every other page or so is English (how annoying! one would thin even way back in '93 it would have been easier {but not cheaper?** to print a complete Italian and English versions.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi Moto.jpg (92.4 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg
Freccia Celeste.jpg (99.2 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg
Bianchi Book.jpg (94.1 KB, 287 views)
__________________
ďOne morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 04:47 PM
  #13  
longhitv
Junior Member
 
longhitv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Celeste Green 1980 Rekord

In pulling my forks out of the 1980 748 Rekord I have, I saw the celeste green was pretty perfect, not seeing uv light for 45 years!!!!
So I am matching the colour and repainting a bike.

If you have a Celeste green bike and trying to figure out what colour works......damn .... this is as close as it gets...IMHO.
Its way better than the touch up paint I got for my 1987 Speciallisima Giro.

Maybe I should make 1000 touch up 1OZ sizes

Last edited by longhitv; 01-30-23 at 08:34 PM.
longhitv is offline  
Likes For longhitv:
Old 01-31-23, 05:12 PM
  #14  
Lattz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 898

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
I guess since I don't read cycling magazines often, they just don't seem to have stories like the '80s, I never saw the add. I am however reall miffed that Bianchi never sent me a ballot!

Thant being said Celeste has certainly changed over the years, most notable in the late '80s early to mid '90s when Bianchi used that hedious "Mint Celeste" and the much nicer Nuovo Celeste with the blueish pear to it.

since most of bikes are from the same era they all appear to be very close save for one. my '90 Proto has a slightly darker and very deep rich color to it which I assume is simply because the frames were painted statside with Dupont Imron rather than the Italian Navy primer (BTW do you know why the Italian Navy ships have glass bottoms?)

the actual name Celeste I believe is Italian for Blue. I also believethe color was first used on the racing motor cycles and racing team. either the bikes or the team was refered to as the Freccia Celest, Blue Arrow, but I need to reread my Bianchi history book. I am not sure if the King and Queen actually rode around on Celeste bikes but I don't think the color was ever applied to any cars or trucks.

what I can't understand is that Bianchi lets trek get away with that seafoam color nonsense. it is clearly an attempt to copy Bianchis trademark color and thereby gain some sort of prestige for their POC bikes
They could make a tongue-in-cheek smart ad - and I wonder why they don't - like the above was to shame Trek, but usually such action never brings any good, I just say, because in US advertising I see such more often than here in Europe. Hee we say we are the best, not "better than XYZ", or "even XYZ is copying us". Plus, how can it be trademark, if every second day Sergio mixed another one based on his mood and level of Chianti?
Lattz is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 05:19 PM
  #15  
P!N20
Senior Member
 
P!N20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 761 Posts
Paging @Andy_K
P!N20 is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 05:26 PM
  #16  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 5,801

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 1,999 Times in 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by longhitv View Post
In pulling my forks out of the 1980 748 Rekord I have, I saw the celeste green was pretty perfect, not seeing uv light for 45 years!!!!
So I am matching the colour and repainting a bike.

If you have a Celeste green bike and trying to figure out what colour works......damn .... this is as close as it gets...IMHO.
Its way better than the touch up paint I got for my 1987 Speciallisima Giro.

Maybe I should make 1000 touch up 1OZ sizes
This is my favorite Celeste...same as the bikes in the best catalog ever (1982)
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, 1996ish Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe (most not finished of course), 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba...I...am...done....






jdawginsc is online now  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-31-23, 05:26 PM
  #17  
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 2,131 Times in 1,156 Posts
Originally Posted by longhitv View Post

Maybe I should make 1000 touch up 1OZ sizes
That would be great.

I once tried to match it to finger nail polish at Walgreens. Caught in the act by one of my students. (At least around here, that buys you street cred.)

Although the color match is decent, it is an inferior touch-up paint.



Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-31-23 at 05:31 PM.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-01-23, 01:05 AM
  #18  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 14,300

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 491 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked 2,852 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
Paging @Andy_K
Do we need someone to keep the thread from quickly converging on an answer? Iím on it!

I do think the color @longhitv has on the steerer is one of the best variations. Itís nice to see it because Iíve heard theories that the green tint was the product of age. I believe that about some of the much older Bianchis but itís clearly not the case here. I believe by the later 90ís they had gone to a less green version, and thatís belief led to my decision to use sea foam green on my Ď89. Mine looks fairly blue (sky blue, even ) in many lighting conditions.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 02-01-23, 05:50 AM
  #19  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 9,139

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 904 Posts
I am no good at describing color variations. This totally mitigates mixing paints!
The color on the '71 changed in nearly every lighting condition. I decided no touch up attempt's. The original covers enough with the chips and scratches adding to the Patina. Any touch up paint would be apparent with changes in lighting.
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.

Last edited by SJX426; 03-01-23 at 11:15 AM.
SJX426 is online now  
Likes For SJX426:
Old 03-01-23, 10:04 AM
  #20  
longhitv
Junior Member
 
longhitv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Celeste on Steerer 1980 Rekord

Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Do we need someone to keep the thread from quickly converging on an answer? Iím on it!

I do think the color @longhitv has on the steerer is one of the best variations. Itís nice to see it because Iíve heard theories that the green tint was the product of age. I believe that about some of the much older Bianchis but itís clearly not the case here. I believe by the later 90ís they had gone to a less green version, and thatís belief led to my decision to use sea foam green on my Ď89. Mine looks fairly blue (sky blue, even ) in many lighting conditions.

Yes I agree. Since the painted celeste has never seen the light of day since 1980 on teh steerer portion -- its perfect. This is colour I matched too. No UV exposure, no scratches, no rust, just the perfect colour sample to run with.
longhitv is offline  
Old 03-01-23, 10:20 AM
  #21  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,217
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by longhitv View Post
Yes I agree. Since the painted celeste has never seen the light of day since 1980 on teh steerer portion -- its perfect. This is colour I matched too. No UV exposure, no scratches, no rust, just the perfect colour sample to run with.
you are neglecting chemical modification from the outgassing of the headset grease and or dyes in it.
I have seen this alter color.

one does the best they can but there are no absolutes.

clear coats shift tint also over time.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-01-23, 10:51 AM
  #22  
longhitv
Junior Member
 
longhitv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
you are neglecting chemical modification from the outgassing of the headset grease and or dyes in it.
I have seen this alter color.

one does the best they can but there are no absolutes.

clear coats shift tint also over time.
Hardly.
longhitv is offline  
Old 03-01-23, 11:11 AM
  #23  
xiaoman1 
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,994

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,070 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
Paging @Andy_K
Why not merge the reads they will make for a good read......
Best, Ben
__________________
"EVERY PERSON IS GUILTY OF ALL THE GOOD THEY DID NOT DO"
Voltaire

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors



xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 03-01-23, 02:49 PM
  #24  
longhitv
Junior Member
 
longhitv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Also -- When you google threads about Celeste Bianchi green you will get a lot on RAL 6027 and looks like below on your screen. But It is not this colour.
This is the swatch of it at my paint supplier, Same formula with the hex colours.

You can see 455A2 is almost identical to the 1980 Celeste I have for a match.






longhitv is offline  
Old 03-01-23, 03:15 PM
  #25  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 9,139

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 904 Posts
How does.it compare under different lighting?
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.