Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

All Things FUJI

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All Things FUJI

Old 01-10-21, 10:39 AM
  #1051  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,990

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,Klein Quantum II

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked 3,009 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by wschellen View Post

Opus III
Very, very nice! I take it that's the original saddle, housing, bar tape, etc? Mine came all original too except for the saddle and wheels.

I'll share a pic of mine again as I just shot this to show the new tubular setup I just put on it. Original bar tape still under the leather wrap.

__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 02-20-22, 03:34 PM
  #1052  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,670

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 615 Posts
'88 Fuji Ace, sort of

This Fuji Ace frameset was given to me a couple of years ago. By default, it became my experiment bike and has been changed many times since I first built it. I really went in a totally different direction with it recently. I stripped and repainted it with rattle can Rustoleum Gloss Enamel Smoky Grey. I put mustache bars on it with mountain bike brake levers and DA 7700 bar ends. The right shifter I could get to work for a while, then something happens internally that prevents it from operating properly in either friction or indexed. I finally quit messing with it and am now using a 105 8 speed DT lever for the right bar end. It works great in friction.

I like the way the build finished, but I still am not sure about mostly black components, or going with more silver and gum/brown wall tires. The only thing original on this bike are the materials used for the frameset. It is on the heavy side, very comfortable, versatile and fun to ride. I have some decals coming, OLD SCHOOL FUJI, that will be on the top, seat and down tubes.





Pretty sure I like the mostly blacked out better.
delbiker1 is offline  
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-21-22, 08:57 AM
  #1053  
Rocket-Sauce 
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,072

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1 View Post
This Fuji Ace frameset was given to me a couple of years ago. By default, it became my experiment bike and has been changed many times since I first built it. I really went in a totally different direction with it recently. I stripped and repainted it with rattle can Rustoleum Gloss Enamel Smoky Grey. I put mustache bars on it with mountain bike brake levers and DA 7700 bar ends. The right shifter I could get to work for a while, then something happens internally that prevents it from operating properly in either friction or indexed. I finally quit messing with it and am now using a 105 8 speed DT lever for the right bar end. It works great in friction.

I like the way the build finished, but I still am not sure about mostly black components, or going with more silver and gum/brown wall tires. The only thing original on this bike are the materials used for the frameset. It is on the heavy side, very comfortable, versatile and fun to ride. I have some decals coming, OLD SCHOOL FUJI, that will be on the top, seat and down tubes.





Pretty sure I like the mostly blacked out better.
Those ACE frames are very nice. I don't think they made them in '88 however. There was no ACE model in the 1988 lineup. I believe yours is a '89 (unicorn fork). I had a 1990 which came with a semi sloping lugged fork. I built mine up with a mishmash of Shimano (105, Dura Ace, and Ultegra) and Sram (cranks).
It rides very well.

I've posted here before, but what the hell...

Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 02-21-22, 10:42 AM
  #1054  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,670

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 615 Posts
Rocket-Sauce , thanks for the reply. I have seen the pictures of your Ace, very nice. I believe you are right about mine being an '89. I wanted something different, that is what I came up with, in the end. It is a fine riding frameset, a bit on the heavy side and I don't care. Sometimes I think about how I can lower the weight, but I always get back to leaving that alone as it does not matter. The whole bike has been done with the only concern that I wind up with a decent looking bike that rides well. The reality is that I could have left the frameset with the original finish and just restored it as much a could be done, including fixing some areas of surface rust. It has been both a fun and a frustrating project, the frustration all directed at me.

In the end, I wound up with a bike that is really close to as I envisioned it. I am pretty sure the mostly blacked out components are going to stay. I had not used bar end shifters in close to 35 years. They work well, friction, and just make sense on this particular set up. I sure like them better than the DT levers.
delbiker1 is offline  
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-21-22, 11:48 AM
  #1055  
cycleheimer
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 4,189

Bikes: '14 Insight 2, '95 Trek 720 Multi-Track, '94 Cannondale M600; '92 Raleigh Dash Max; '86 Panasonic DX 5000, '81 Fuji S12S, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '78 Motobecane Grand Touring, plus many more!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce View Post
Those ACE frames are very nice. I don't think they made them in '88 however. There was no ACE model in the 1988 lineup. I believe yours is a '89 (unicorn fork). I had a 1990 which came with a semi sloping lugged fork. I built mine up with a mishmash of Shimano (105, Dura Ace, and Ultegra) and Sram (cranks).
It rides very well.

I've posted here before, but what the hell...

The Saratoga touring model in the same color and similar decal designs. One of my favorite Fujis, but a bit heavy.
cycleheimer is offline  
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 06-17-22, 08:10 AM
  #1056  
BFisher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 871 Posts
I didn't have a purple bike...

...so how could I not jump on this beautiful '87 Roubaix? Almost complete 105 6-speed group, which is in fantastic condition. It got fresh consumables all around. After a minor wheel truing, it'll be ready for the road.


Last edited by BFisher; 06-17-22 at 08:14 AM.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-17-22, 11:21 AM
  #1057  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,839

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawles; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
...so how could I not jump on this beautiful '87 Roubaix? Almost complete 105 6-speed group, which is in fantastic condition. It got fresh consumables all around. After a minor wheel truing, it'll be ready for the road.

NICE!! Looks like new too.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-17-22, 11:40 AM
  #1058  
casanewt
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 373

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
...so how could I not jump on this beautiful '87 Roubaix? Almost complete 105 6-speed group, which is in fantastic condition. It got fresh consumables all around. After a minor wheel truing, it'll be ready for the road.
Nice! Yours has the VALite "Si 45" channeled tubing. Similar in some ways to Miyata's splined tubing and Columbus SLX, except that it is not spiraled.



casanewt is offline  
Old 06-17-22, 01:35 PM
  #1059  
BFisher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 871 Posts
Interesting thing, I noticed the catalog specs SR hubs, but this bike has 105s. I failed to remember that I have the matching 105 headset until after I'd cleaned and repacked the original Hatta. I even have the pedals, but one of the clips is cracked.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-17-22, 03:13 PM
  #1060  
casanewt
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 373

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Interesting thing, I noticed the catalog specs SR hubs, but this bike has 105s. I failed to remember that I have the matching 105 headset until after I'd cleaned and repacked the original Hatta. I even have the pedals, but one of the clips is cracked.
Makes sense that the spec sheet may be incorrect. This was right around the time when Shimano was pretty much demanding manufacturers use their full group if they spec'd their drivetrain.
casanewt is offline  
Old 06-24-22, 06:49 PM
  #1061  
casanewt
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 373

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 73 Posts
Heads up in this region...sad condition though https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share
casanewt is offline  
Old 07-04-22, 05:14 AM
  #1062  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 1,138

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 302 Posts


nice looking Fuji at a flea market this past weekend
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 10-06-22, 03:18 PM
  #1063  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,361

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
Any early 70s The Finest owners out there .....what is your seat post size? Mine has a 26.4 in it but it is tight around the clamp area and im thinking the seatube clamp area where it inserts into the frame has been deformed a bit. I know some of the later ones....were 26.8.
This is specifically a low number K6 serial numbered frameset. Any K6 owners do me a favor and measure your seat post size or check it for me i would appreciate it.
I have what I believe is a 1972 Finest. Seatpost is 26.6.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 09:24 AM
  #1064  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,289

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 527 Posts
I just bought (most of) what I think is a '74-ish The Finest. (I haven't actually seen in person it yet. It's at my son's house in Portland.)



Somewhere along the way its 27-inch wheels were swapped out in favor of tubulars (maybe some better hubs as well?). Trying to figure out what I should look for in the way of a crank, I checked the '74 Fuji catalog scan on Velobase. It doesn't list specific vendors or model names for anything though. Any idea what would have been delivered during the mid-70s?

(FWIW, I converted the multiple JPEG files in the Velobase scan into a multi-page PDF: Fuji74.pdf should anyone be interested in that sort of thing.)
__________________
Contact me about helping Doug Fattic's Ukraine Bicycle Project


smontanaro is offline  
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 10-20-22, 09:58 AM
  #1065  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,230
Mentioned: 631 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4706 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I just bought (most of) what I think is a '74-ish The Finest. (I haven't actually seen in person it yet. It's at my son's house in Portland.)

Somewhere along the way its 27-inch wheels were swapped out in favor of tubulars (maybe some better hubs as well?). Trying to figure out what I should look for in the way of a crank, I checked the '74 Fuji catalog scan on Velobase. It doesn't list specific vendors or model names for anything though. Any idea what would have been delivered during the mid-70s?

(FWIW, I converted the multiple JPEG files in the Velobase scan into a multi-page PDF: Fuji74.pdf should anyone be interested in that sort of thing.)
The boom era Finest typically came with a Sugino Mighty crankset. They also came with a tubular wheelset, so those wheels could be OEM. Get the serial number from your son and we'll know the year.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-20-22, 12:47 PM
  #1066  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,289

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The boom era Finest typically came with a Sugino Mighty crankset. They also came with a tubular wheelset, so those wheels could be OEM. Get the serial number from your son and we'll know the year.
Thanks T-Mar. I might even have a Mighty in the bin. Interesting about the tubular wheels. That '74 catalog says 27-inch rims. Of course, if it's not a '74 I imagine it could be anything.

Chris said the serial number was hard to read, but he suggested "5610593". Looking at the pic he sent, I suspect the second character is "G," but that doesn't line up with the description of the Fuji serial number decoder. It is kind of hard-to-read:

__________________
Contact me about helping Doug Fattic's Ukraine Bicycle Project


smontanaro is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 03:27 PM
  #1067  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,230
Mentioned: 631 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4706 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Thanks T-Mar. I might even have a Mighty in the bin. Interesting about the tubular wheels. That '74 catalog says 27-inch rims. Of course, if it's not a '74 I imagine it could be anything.


Chris said the serial number was hard to read, but he suggested "5610593". Looking at the pic he sent, I suspect the second character is "G," but that doesn't line up with the description of the Fuji serial number decoder. It is kind of hard-to-read:


I suspect the letter prefix was poorly struck and it's ?6G10583. That would make July of Showa 46, which is 1971. That makes sense after having a closer look at the frame. First, it has the round track blades used only on the very early Finest models. Second, the front derailleur appears to be a Spirt, which is what was spec'd in 1971. In 1972 it was upgraded to the Compe-V.


As for the wheelset, it was fairly common to describe tubulars as being 27" during the early 1970s bicycle boom. Some even stated 27" on the label. The USA just couldn't get their head wrapped around non-Imperial tyre sizing. If you look at the old Fuji catalogues, it actually says "tubular" for the Finest, while the lower models say "W/O" (wired-on). Or you can look at the valves. The Finest is equipped with Presta and the lower models use Schraeder. High performance 700C wired-on wouldn't hit the markets until 1976, so when you see Presta in earlier catalogues they are almost invariably tubular.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-20-22 at 03:30 PM.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-20-22, 05:40 PM
  #1068  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,289

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
I suspect the letter prefix was poorly struck and it's ?6G10583. That would make July of Showa 46, which is 1971.
Ooh, neat...
__________________
Contact me about helping Doug Fattic's Ukraine Bicycle Project


smontanaro is offline  
Old 10-22-22, 07:05 AM
  #1069  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,458

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The boom era Finest typically came with a Sugino Mighty crankset. They also came with a tubular wheelset, so those wheels could be OEM. Get the serial number from your son and we'll know the year.
The one in our showroom back then had Sunshine hubs and foam-filled Nisi tubular rims.
thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-23-22, 06:46 AM
  #1070  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,230
Mentioned: 631 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4706 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
The one in our showroom back then had Sunshine hubs and foam-filled Nisi tubular rims.
The Sunshine hubs are correct but I remember the rims being Ukai, not Nisi. The core was filled with a plastic or foam material to increase rigidity. The tubular tyres were Toyo brand, later transitioning to Fuji branding.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-23-22, 11:08 AM
  #1071  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,289

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 527 Posts
Thanks for the rim/hub updates. Now I'm really interested to get this bike home and check it all out. My son said the seller was the former owner of the Portland Bicycle Emporium. I wonder what other bits he still has stashed away...
__________________
Contact me about helping Doug Fattic's Ukraine Bicycle Project


smontanaro is offline  
Old 10-24-22, 05:14 PM
  #1072  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,458

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The Sunshine hubs are correct but I remember the rims being Ukai, not Nisi.
Probably correct. It's been a looong time.
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-25-22, 05:35 AM
  #1073  
Triplecrank92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 180

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 46 Posts
'83 tsiv

Triplecrank92 is offline  
Likes For Triplecrank92:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CenturionIM
Road Cycling
3
06-14-13 12:40 AM
bikemanbob
Classic & Vintage
54
07-21-12 06:24 AM
Frogbutter
Classic & Vintage
12
06-13-12 01:28 PM
cehowardGS
Classic & Vintage
28
05-18-11 07:57 AM
KTU
Road Cycling
9
12-08-09 11:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.