Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

All Things FUJI

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All Things FUJI

Old 04-17-23, 05:42 PM
  #1076  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 592

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I started a separate thread on this bike to chart any progress I make and for easy reference. Serial #78C50061 Sugino Mighty triple, 700c wheelset, Superbe/Mountech derailleurs. Appears to be mostly original, I suspect the pedals and saddle may be replacements. I'm not 100% sure but I think 77 to 78 may have been when the America model transitioned to a triple crankset and 700c wheels. Pictured as found this morning.
Superbe Tech and Mountech...I have a story for you all that might be interested.

If you go online and do research concerning the Superbe Tech, and Mountech you will get a bunch of negative reviews on it, read what Disraeli Gears has to say about that Tech series.

Here's my story. In 1984 I replaced my bent racing frame with a Trek 660 frame and fork, I had it equipped with Suntour Superbe everything and the Tech rear derailleur. That derailleur is the only derailleur that can shift gears while power is applied! I could shift that that thing climbing mountains in So Calif and it would bang into gears, when that sort of power wasn't being applied it shifted faster and quieter than any derailleur I ever knew. I had heard of issues with that derailleur when I bought it, so about a year or two after I bought the bike Suntour was done for, so I bought another Tech rear, Pro front set of derailleurs and pedals so I could replace the rear when it broke...over 150,000 miles and almost 40 years later that derailleur still works like it did when it was new, that meant I still had another Superbe Tech and Pro, and the pedals unopened in their boxes all those years.

When I bought the 84 Fuji Club at a garage sale for $40 with about 5 miles on the bike about 12 years ago, it came with Suntour ARX, I tried everything I could think of to get that piece of crap to shift right, I even took it two different bike shops, and it never wanted to shift well, so about 8 years ago I got fed up messing with the ARX and took them off and put on the Superbe Tech rear, the Superbe Pro front, and the Superbe Pedals; after 8 years and roughly 10,000 miles the Tech rear is flawless.

Another story, getting bored yet? Anyway, I had a 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that came with Suntour Mountech derailleurs, that rear derailleur shifted as fast as the Tech did and it's shifting a wider gear range, after 20 some odd thousand miles the bike was destroyed in a crash, but that Mountech was flawless. I took the Mountech stuff, and the rest of the components as well off that bike and will use them for another project.

The one thing about those derailleurs, they don't like dirt according to the negative reports, not a problem for me because I keep my stuff clean, but the touring bike went through a lot of rain and the Mountech didn't flinch. I don't think the negative reviews on the Tech/Mountech series is accurate, I think there wasn't that many sold, and some people may not have known how to adjust them and felt they got a bad deal, I don't know, but I have two of the Tech series and one of the Mountech series, and I can't not find anything to complain about them, in fact they are the best friction derailleurs I've ever used. I have pretty much retired the 84 Trek, after over 150,000 miles, a person gets a bit leery of something breaking while riding with that sort of mileage, but I think it could still could go a long ways yet if it had too.
greatscott is offline  
Likes For greatscott:
Old 04-17-23, 11:10 PM
  #1077  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,494
Liked 768 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Superbe Tech and Mountech...I have a story for you all that might be interested.

If you go online and do research concerning the Superbe Tech, and Mountech you will get a bunch of negative reviews on it, read what Disraeli Gears has to say about that Tech series.

Here's my story. In 1984 I replaced my bent racing frame with a Trek 660 frame and fork, I had it equipped with Suntour Superbe everything and the Tech rear derailleur. That derailleur is the only derailleur that can shift gears while power is applied! I could shift that that thing climbing mountains in So Calif and it would bang into gears, when that sort of power wasn't being applied it shifted faster and quieter than any derailleur I ever knew. I had heard of issues with that derailleur when I bought it, so about a year or two after I bought the bike Suntour was done for, so I bought another Tech rear, Pro front set of derailleurs and pedals so I could replace the rear when it broke...over 150,000 miles and almost 40 years later that derailleur still works like it did when it was new, that meant I still had another Superbe Tech and Pro, and the pedals unopened in their boxes all those years.

When I bought the 84 Fuji Club at a garage sale for $40 with about 5 miles on the bike about 12 years ago, it came with Suntour ARX, I tried everything I could think of to get that piece of crap to shift right, I even took it two different bike shops, and it never wanted to shift well, so about 8 years ago I got fed up messing with the ARX and took them off and put on the Superbe Tech rear, the Superbe Pro front, and the Superbe Pedals; after 8 years and roughly 10,000 miles the Tech rear is flawless.

Another story, getting bored yet? Anyway, I had a 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that came with Suntour Mountech derailleurs, that rear derailleur shifted as fast as the Tech did and it's shifting a wider gear range, after 20 some odd thousand miles the bike was destroyed in a crash, but that Mountech was flawless. I took the Mountech stuff, and the rest of the components as well off that bike and will use them for another project.

The one thing about those derailleurs, they don't like dirt according to the negative reports, not a problem for me because I keep my stuff clean, but the touring bike went through a lot of rain and the Mountech didn't flinch. I don't think the negative reviews on the Tech/Mountech series is accurate, I think there wasn't that many sold, and some people may not have known how to adjust them and felt they got a bad deal, I don't know, but I have two of the Tech series and one of the Mountech series, and I can't not find anything to complain about them, in fact they are the best friction derailleurs I've ever used. I have pretty much retired the 84 Trek, after over 150,000 miles, a person gets a bit leery of something breaking while riding with that sort of mileage, but I think it could still could go a long ways yet if it had too.
Very interesting account, I'll have to give them a try sometime...just not on a tour
Piff is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 07:40 AM
  #1078  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
I posted a 1984 Touring Series V I'm considering buying in the C&V appraisals -- I would greatly appreciate any of the Fuji experts wandering on over and offering some opinions there when they get a chance. I'll post the pictures here, but probably best to comment on value etc. in the other thread. (You will see below I ignored my own advice).


Last edited by Maxey; 06-01-23 at 11:09 AM.
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 09:48 AM
  #1079  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 389

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
I posted a 1984 Touring Series V I'm considering buying in the C&V appraisals -- I would greatly appreciate any of the Fuji experts wandering on over and offering some opinions there when they get a chance. I'll post the pictures here, but probably best to comment on value etc. in the other thread.
In my area, Cincinnati, I have sold two Touring Series IVs, and always had a hard time getting more than $200. Other markets are different. The TSV, with bar end shifters, fork rack mounts, and even more rarity, would command more. They are actually undervalued compared to the Miyata 1000 IMHO. Wild, I never noticed that the TSV said "Fuji America" on the top tube. The TSIV and TSIII did not. Anyways, here is a link to the catalog. https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/19...-no-14-edition
casanewt is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 09:59 AM
  #1080  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
In my area, Cincinnati, I have sold two Touring Series IVs, and always had a hard time getting more than $200. Other markets are different. The TSV, with bar end shifters, fork rack mounts, and even more rarity, would command more. They are actually undervalued compared to the Miyata 1000 IMHO. Wild, I never noticed that the TSV said "Fuji America" on the top tube. The TSIV and TSIII did not. Anyways, here is a link to the catalog. https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/19...-no-14-edition
Casa, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if you saw my post in C&V Appraisals, but seller is asking $450, and if I can get it for a little less than that I could live with it. $450 is what I would consider overpriced in my neck of the woods (N. Dakota), but then again, as they say, try and find another. Very unlikely in this area, and all and all, the price isn't unfair, and no doubt seller is aware of what he has. I've already checked out the catalog and read through this entire thread last night. Needless to say, I'm a bit of a Fuji fan now!
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 10:07 AM
  #1081  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 389

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Casa, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if you saw my post in C&V Appraisals, but seller is asking $450, and if I can get it for a little less than that I could live with it. $450 is what I would consider overpriced in my neck of the woods (N. Dakota), but then again, as they say, try and find another. Very unlikely in this area, and all and all, the price isn't unfair, and no doubt seller is aware of what he has. I've already checked out the catalog and read through this entire thread last night. Needless to say, I'm a bit of a Fuji fan now!
Is it the right size for you? That is obviously very important if you pay that much for one. We all know it is potentially worth that much, but there are other comparable vintage touring bikes you could land for a lot less. There is a 24" TSIV on Marketplace here for $150. I picked up a 1991 Schwinn Voyager and a 1985 Miyata 610 within the last couple of years at $100 each. Good deals are out there.
casanewt is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 10:39 AM
  #1082  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
Is it the right size for you? That is obviously very important if you pay that much for one. We all know it is potentially worth that much, but there are other comparable vintage touring bikes you could land for a lot less. There is a 24" TSIV on Marketplace here for $150. I picked up a 1991 Schwinn Voyager and a 1985 Miyata 610 within the last couple of years at $100 each. Good deals are out there.
Yes, size looks to be right for me, but of course I would take it for a spin to be sure. In the appraisals someone thought it looked like a 58cm, which would fit me. I think 24" is too large for me. I had actually put off inquiring about this bike because of the asking price not being a typical bargain price that I usually see in my locale (I recently picked up a nice, 1-owner 1972 Manufrance touring bike for $25), but I think the seller seems to know vintage bikes, and as others have pointed out the bike looks very original and unmolested, which is worth a bit of a premium to me, and in any case I don't think the price is too out of line. As far as other bikes you mention, there's just not any in my area so I would have to rely on shipping one from elsewhere which could easily turn a $200 bike into a bike that costs near as much as this one, and I wouldn't be able to inspect and ride those beforehand. Anyways, I'm not hellbent on buying this bike, but will definitely go look at it, and if it is as nice as represented may buy it (after beating up seller on price a little). Thanks for the input!
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 10:45 AM
  #1083  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 389

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Yes, size looks to be right for me, but of course I would take it for a spin to be sure. In the appraisals someone thought it looked like a 58cm, which would fit me. I think 24" is too large for me. I had actually put off inquiring about this bike because of the asking price not being a typical bargain price that I usually see in my locale (I recently picked up a nice, 1-owner 1972 Manufrance touring bike for $25), but I think the seller seems to know vintage bikes, and as others have pointed out the bike looks very original and unmolested, which is worth a bit of a premium to me, and in any case I don't think the price is too out of line. As far as other bikes you mention, there's just not any in my area so I would have to rely on shipping one from elsewhere which could easily turn a $200 bike into a bike that costs near as much as this one, and I wouldn't be able to inspect and ride those beforehand. Anyways, I'm not hellbent on buying this bike, but will definitely go look at it, and if it is as nice as represented may buy it (after beating up seller on price a little). Thanks for the input!
If it is only being sold locally, I think it will sit for a long time on the market at that price. I would offer $200 and go from there. A more realistic top price in an average market is $250-$300 IMHO.
casanewt is offline  
Likes For casanewt:
Old 06-01-23, 11:07 AM
  #1084  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
If it is only being sold locally, I think it will sit for a long time on the market at that price. I would offer $200 and go from there. A more realistic top price in an average market is $250-$300 IMHO.
That's great input, Casa. Sometimes I get too hung up on acquiring a bike if I really want it and throw common sense out the window (well, not completely) when it comes to price. Thanks!
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 01:57 PM
  #1085  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,696

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 258 Times in 208 Posts
Very nice looking bike, appears from the photos to be in excellent condition which makes it all the more difficult to find. I would say the frame size could be either a 56 or a 58. While $450 is a bit high, but with the condition of the bike, assuming of course the photos are accurate, I think the price is pretty darn close. I would try offer $375, which he might counter at $400. Fuji probably had the best frames coming out of Japan, some might argue that, but my 84 Fuji Club with the quad butted tubing is a better frame in terms of stiffness than any of my other bikes from that era! Fuji was an underrated manufacturer that's for sure. If I lived in your area I would have bought it by now if it checked out good.

Keep in mind, that in order to be worth the offered price it has to be 100% original, if they sold off the original components they did so to make money, now that bike isn't worth as much.

https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/19...-no-14-edition

Check out the components the wheels etc to make sure they line up with what the catalog said came with the bike new. Stuff like the tires obviously won't be original, but the bike looks like it has very low miles on it so the wheels should be stock, from what I can see it does look stock.

Don't let the Suntour Mountech derailleur scare you, that stuff was fantastic to tour on, it shifted fast while under load, took a very wide gear range without a hiccup. Just keep the derailleur clean and lubed, I use TriFlow on my components and they work buttery smooth. I have a Suntour Superbe Tech which is just a short cage racing version of the Mountech, which I also have, but the Tech has over 150,000 miles on it and never once gave me the slightest problem, even though internet said they were problematic, no they weren't, they were the fastest shifting derailleur ever made in the time of friction, and in fact can outshift my more modern stuff!

I had a brand new in the box Superbe Tech I bought when I bought my 86 Trek 660 as a frame and fork, I bought the extra derailleur in case the original one broke, it never did, so I took off the Suntour ARX that never shifted that good that was my 84 Fuji Club and put those on instead about 10 years ago, what a day and night difference they made to how it shifts. My now deceased 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe had the Mountech on it, it worked fantastically, I kept all the components off that bike after it died in a crash, in a few months I will be slowly transferring that stuff to a Dawes that all I have is a frame/fork, crank, bars and seatpost, that was a dumpster find. Anyway, I said all of that to say, don't take those old components off, they are highly durable components and will last you a lifetime and then some.
rekmeyata is offline  
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 06-01-23, 02:24 PM
  #1086  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
Hi rekmeyata, thanks for all the input. The buying strategy you spelled out is similar to what I now have in mind though I might start a little lower. I think from just inspecting the pictures the bike is original except for the seat. Your suggestion to check the components against the catalog gave me the idea to print the catalog page and bring it with me to compare to the bike in person. The catalog shows a 55cm (no 56) and a 58cm so I'm hoping it's the 58 as the 55 would probably be a bit too small for me.

I read elsewhere on the site your comments on the Mountech derailleur and I agree that like most anything else maintenance is the key to making anything last. I have some Triflow in my inventory so will keep that in mind if I buy the bike. Impressive you have so many miles on yours! I also agree with not changing any of the original components as I've always been a fan of keeping machines as original as possible when practical. Thanks again.
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 03:16 PM
  #1087  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 58

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
You’ll hate yourself if someone else buys it !

That looks like a very nice bike in great condition.
Rekmeyata has offered the right buying strategy in my opinion, esp. if it still has its original components. What’s $1-200 if you love the bike, and it fits you, and you plan to keep it?
You’re not gonna find another one like that in ND, and you’ll prob want to crawl into a hole if someone else gets it before you make up your mind. If you can afford it, try to haggle a bit and let the seller get a fair price.

For an independent POV, reach out to fellow member Scott Ryder, who knows Fujis.
Good Luck☘️and…let us know how you make out.
ADguy is offline  
Likes For ADguy:
Old 06-01-23, 03:37 PM
  #1088  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ADguy
That looks like a very nice bike in great condition.
Rekmeyata has offered the right buying strategy in my opinion, esp. if it still has its original components. What’s $1-200 if you love the bike, and it fits you, and you plan to keep it?
You’re not gonna find another one like that in ND, and you’ll prob want to crawl into a hole if someone else gets it before you make up your mind. If you can afford it, try to haggle a bit and let the seller get a fair price.

For an independent POV, reach out to fellow member Scott Ryder, who knows Fujis.
Good Luck☘️and…let us know how you make out.
I appreciate the thoughts, ADguy, good to get a perspective like that also. I'm very recent to the vintage bike world, but wouldn't mind putting a little collection together, and I think this would be a fine example of a vintage Japanese touring bike. I already have a vintage French touring bike so why not. That's not to say I'd never ride it, but probably only on certain occasions. I have a few modern bikes I would much less mind wearing out first.

I would certainly have some pangs of regret if I didn't acquire it, but I've found it best not to dwell on such things for too long. I won't be able to check the bike out 'til the weekend as it is not in the same town as me, is some distance actually, so that's beyond my control. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.

I'm well aware of Scott Ryder, having read through this whole thread last night. I was hoping he would chime in here, but I'll leave him alone for now -- at least until I acquire the bike. Thanks!
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-02-23, 11:56 AM
  #1089  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 257

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 223 Times in 108 Posts
I posted an update about my prospective Series V over in the C&V appraisals section if any of the Fuji (and other) experts want to cruise over there and check it out. Basically had seller send some close-up photos showing various flaws and wanted to get peoples' opinions before I go any further. Thanks!
Maxey is offline  
Old 07-07-24, 10:59 PM
  #1090  
two wheels is just right
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 13

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Lotus Classique, Fuji Royale, Raleigh Record

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Restomod Fuji Royale

My former coworker found this abandoned in a ditch and gave it to me. Rebuilt it from a ratty fixie to a less ratty single speed. First time painting a frame. It's on the heavy side but rides pretty nice. I'm still figuring out the finer points of setting up mafac racer brakes.

Rusted out frame and components



Fresh paint and some upgraded parts
Melon Baller is online now  
Likes For Melon Baller:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CenturionIM
Road Cycling
3
06-14-13 12:40 AM
bikemanbob
Classic & Vintage
54
07-21-12 06:24 AM
Frogbutter
Classic & Vintage
12
06-13-12 01:28 PM
cehowardGS
Classic & Vintage
28
05-18-11 07:57 AM
KTU
Road Cycling
9
12-08-09 11:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.