Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kyokuto Pedals, Any Good?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kyokuto Pedals, Any Good?

Old 04-14-20, 11:32 AM
  #26  
Norc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juls View Post
I have #5 . I like them. Missing a cap tho/and doubt I'll find one. Chrome painted plastic.
I also have #5 with a missing dust cap . Anyone know if the MKS Sylvan dustcaps fit?
Norc is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 01:19 PM
  #27  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,076

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 2,503 Times in 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Norc View Post
I also have #5 with a missing dust cap . Anyone know if the MKS Sylvan dustcaps fit?
That's a "Pro-Vic" pedal. I know the MKS Sylvan caps will fit on the Pro-Ace model, but I haven't tried them on Pro-Vic and don't have a set of those pedals to test them with. The Sylvan caps follow Campagnolo's pedal dust cap specs, and were widely adopted (KKT, Ofmega, Miche, Gipiemme, Zeus, etc.) so there's a good chance they will work, provided the cap has "male" (external) threads rather than female (internal) threads. If you have one intact cap, can you remove it and check? If the cap is externally threaded, 22mm diameter threads with 1mm pitch, it should be compatible with Sylvan/Campagnolo/etc. caps.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 03:35 PM
  #28  
Feldman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I had #2--ProAces on a bike for a few years. Top notch, easily the equivalent of NR/SR.
Feldman is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 04:01 PM
  #29  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,667

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2803 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,128 Posts
Interesting reading the Pro Vic/Pro Vic II would be considered "better" than the Top Run, which is my go-to pedal.

Two of my current Top Run pedal sets have aluminum cages. My third Top Run set has steel cages.

The Pro Vics I've come across have not been that nice or as comfy. I know the model changed over the years...

.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 04-14-20 at 04:13 PM.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 08:54 PM
  #30  
Bad Lag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 1,964

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 268 Posts
I have some Pro Aces that are now 45 years old or older. There is nothing wrong with them in any regard. I'd say equivalent to the best available.
Bad Lag is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 09:02 PM
  #31  
Norc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
That's a "Pro-Vic" pedal. I know the MKS Sylvan caps will fit on the Pro-Ace model, but I haven't tried them on Pro-Vic and don't have a set of those pedals to test them with. The Sylvan caps follow Campagnolo's pedal dust cap specs, and were widely adopted (KKT, Ofmega, Miche, Gipiemme, Zeus, etc.) so there's a good chance they will work, provided the cap has "male" (external) threads rather than female (internal) threads. If you have one intact cap, can you remove it and check? If the cap is externally threaded, 22mm diameter threads with 1mm pitch, it should be compatible with Sylvan/Campagnolo/etc. caps.
So I tried taking the dust cap off the other pedal without luck. I used water pump pliers and then a screwdriver on the notches but the chrome started chipping off and I stopped. How do you get these things off without a pedal wrench?

I measured the diameter of the pedal without the dust cap and it was about 23mm edge to edge not accounting for the inner threads.
Norc is offline  
Old 04-15-20, 12:24 PM
  #32  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,076

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 2,503 Times in 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Norc View Post
So I tried taking the dust cap off the other pedal without luck. I used water pump pliers and then a screwdriver on the notches but the chrome started chipping off and I stopped. How do you get these things off without a pedal wrench?

I measured the diameter of the pedal without the dust cap and it was about 23mm edge to edge not accounting for the inner threads.
Ideally, use a dustcap spanner that fits the proprietary cap shape:



If the other pedal is missing its cap, does it have male or female threads?
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-15-20, 02:18 PM
  #33  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,667

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2803 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,128 Posts
Originally Posted by Norc View Post
So I tried taking the dust cap off the other pedal without luck... How do you get these things off without a pedal wrench?
I've always used a small pair of vise-grips.

A pedal wrench is usually a thin 15mm wrench used to mount pedals to crank arms.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 01:14 PM
  #34  
MeadMan2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St Louis Park MN
Posts: 137

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24 Colson tandem '38-'39 Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pro-Ace

When I bought my Follis 192 in 1974, because the original pedals are crap, I replaced them with KKT Pro-Ace. If my memory is correct, & that was a long time ago, if you couldn't afford Campy pedals, the Pro-Ace were considered a great alternative. I still have them on the Follis & they work fine.
MeadMan2 is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 10:44 PM
  #35  
Norc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Ideally, use a dustcap spanner that fits the proprietary cap shape:



If the other pedal is missing its cap, does it have male or female threads?
The pedal without the dust cap has female threads it will accept a dustcap with male threads.
Norc is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 10:52 PM
  #36  
Norc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
I've always used a small pair of vise-grips.

A pedal wrench is usually a thin 15mm wrench used to mount pedals to crank arms.
Good idea, I may try that when I find a dust cap for the other pedal and service them both.

I've already found a replacement pair of KKT Top Run Pedals (#6) off craigslist and serviced them. Out of curiosity I weighed both pedals and found the Top Runs to be 180g and Pro Vics to be 175g. I guess that will appeal to the weight weenies.
Norc is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 05:32 AM
  #37  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,076

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 2,503 Times in 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by MeadMan2 View Post
When I bought my Follis 192 in 1974, because the original pedals are crap, I replaced them with KKT Pro-Ace. If my memory is correct, & that was a long time ago, if you couldn't afford Campy pedals, the Pro-Ace were considered a great alternative. I still have them on the Follis & they work fine.
Pro-Ace pedals were as close a copy, in both quality and appearance, to the Campagnolo Record pedal as any you'll find. They even have the rifled spindle like Campagnolo, and are fully interchangeable with Campagnolo spindles.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 05:33 AM
  #38  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,076

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 2,503 Times in 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Norc View Post
The pedal without the dust cap has female threads it will accept a dustcap with male threads.
In that case, I suspect the MKS caps will work fine.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 07:44 PM
  #39  
bikeman68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kkt

Originally Posted by Snydermann View Post
I like KKT pedals and they were favored by Lotus, it seems like every bike I buy has the wrong pedals on it so I pick up KKT's when they go cheap on ebay. I agree that the Pro Ace seems every bit as good as Campy.

My only Pro Ace pedals are on my Odyssey, but here are some of the other models.



1) Campagnolo, Looks like Pro Ace in chrome or black alloy cage
2) Pro Vic, alloy body with riveted alloy cage, these seem less common than the Pro Vic II's
3) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage
4) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage in black
5) Pro Vic II, cast one piece alloy, I think these are the later style version
6) Top Run, steel body with riveted alloy cage, the cage looks exactly the same as the early Pro Vic.

The Pro Vic and Pro Vic II's use a plastic ring to seal the axle to the body, sometimes these are damaged, broken or missing. Some Pro Vic II's came with black dust caps.

I could seriously use a KKT dust cap wrench if anyone has one!
This is a nice post for these pedals, just don't tell me the age of post, it's still very useful like these pedals, I want a set of the KKT pro vic 2s in middle of the display, they are not the top end Record copy like the Pro Ace, but they do have a nice pedal body design, and platform height looks lower? I had these on my first real road bike way back in 1983, the beige colored SHOGUN so anybody here have these for sale at a reasobnable price, with cages not gouged?
bikeman68 is offline  
Old 11-23-20, 05:22 AM
  #40  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2,208
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 887 Times in 547 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
In that case, I suspect the MKS caps will work fine.
KKT are bigger than MKS/Campy/etcetera.
oneclick is offline  
Old 11-23-20, 07:16 AM
  #41  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,076

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 2,503 Times in 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
KKT are bigger than MKS/Campy/etcetera.
You're right.

My bad.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
The Thin Man
Classic & Vintage
31
05-21-16 12:26 AM
vintagerando
Classic & Vintage
17
10-25-15 01:21 PM
italianbiker
Classic & Vintage
10
09-17-15 06:23 PM
djpfine
Road Cycling
7
09-09-10 10:02 PM
Lell
Road Cycling
7
08-13-10 05:35 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.