Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kyokuto Pedals, Any Good?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kyokuto Pedals, Any Good?

Old 11-13-11, 10:29 PM
  #1  
Essentials Bike Works
Thread Starter
 
DirtyHarry714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Early 80 Celste Bianchi,Medici Pro Strada,Super Mondia,Cannondale Track Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kyokuto Pedals, Any Good?

I have two sets of these now and don't know much about them. They feel pretty nice when i ride on them, i also like how they look like MKS pedals. When i got the second set i thought they were MKS but removed the clip to find "Kyokuto Top Run" The other set is "Kyokuto Pro Ace" anyone familiar with these?
DirtyHarry714 is offline  
Old 11-13-11, 10:41 PM
  #2  
Wookie Jesus inspires me.
 
Puget Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the pro aces and they are smooth like buttah, but that's all subjective.
Puget Pounder is offline  
Old 11-13-11, 11:05 PM
  #3  
Essentials Bike Works
Thread Starter
 
DirtyHarry714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Early 80 Celste Bianchi,Medici Pro Strada,Super Mondia,Cannondale Track Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree
DirtyHarry714 is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:04 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Captain Blight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,473

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I agree, they are both sets excellent pedals. IMO better than the MKSes. Better chrome, better cones, better shape, just better all the way around. I look at the sets I have and think about surgery for my size 13D foot so I can actually use them.
Captain Blight is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:07 AM
  #5  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,272

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
These are very nice qualty pedals and would agree they are the equal of Mikashima (MKS)...
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:16 AM
  #6  
Essentials Bike Works
Thread Starter
 
DirtyHarry714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Early 80 Celste Bianchi,Medici Pro Strada,Super Mondia,Cannondale Track Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm willing to trade the top run pedals for a 26 mm quill stem, i really need it.
DirtyHarry714 is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:23 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,496

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 601 Posts
Those pedals are great I would trade if I had a rare 26.0 stem but I only have 25.4 and 26.4 no 26.0.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:42 AM
  #8  
Essentials Bike Works
Thread Starter
 
DirtyHarry714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Early 80 Celste Bianchi,Medici Pro Strada,Super Mondia,Cannondale Track Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer, I have some Cinelli bars i've been wanting to use but every stem i get i hope it will fit them but it never works out. Hopefully i find one
DirtyHarry714 is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 06:02 AM
  #9  
curmudgineer
 
old's'cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago SW burbs
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 69 Posts
The Kyokuto "Top Run" pedals are fairly ubiquitous on mid-priced bikes from the 70's. I upgraded the Top Runs on my Moto GJ to Kyokuto "Victor" pedals, which are one-piece aluminum. If you're looking for Kyokuto pedals, Kyokuto is often abbreviated to KKT.

[edit: I don't have access to my bikes right now, so I'm not 100% positive about the "Victor" name - they could be "Pro-Vics" as mentioned in post #11]

Last edited by old's'cool; 11-14-11 at 07:51 PM.
old's'cool is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 06:26 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Glennfordx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,961

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Yes, I agree, they are both sets excellent pedals. IMO better than the MKSes. Better chrome, better cones, better shape, just better all the way around. I look at the sets I have and think about surgery for my size 13D foot so I can actually use them.
Have you tried pedal extensions, I have 11 1/2 6E flippers and haven't been able to use a pair of my Kyokuto Top Run pedals or similar pedals until I started to use 27mm pedal extensions on my bikes. Not only does it allow me to use more of my good non platform pedals my cadence is a lot better and my hips and knees feel better for using them. The 27mm extensions are the widest I have found and there are two shorter versions if you don't need them that wide.
Glennfordx4 is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 06:44 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
southpawboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerville, MA and Catskill Mtns
Posts: 4,150
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 87 Posts
Yep, I agree with the others, KKT pedals are pretty good. I've had a few sets that have passed through my hands, usually by way of mid-80s Japanese bikes. They Pro Vic II road pedals are the MKS sylvan copy, which themselves are a Campy copy. I'd say they are on par with MKS.
southpawboston is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 09:21 AM
  #12  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,875

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,289 Times in 1,882 Posts
The "Pro Ace" was KKT's top of the line pedal in the mid 70s and is a faithful Campy Record copy, right down to the rifling on the pedal spindles. The races are ground and polished, cages nicely chrome plated or black anodized, body polished and satin anodized. Every bit the equivalent to the Record pedal in every manner but cache.

The "Top Run" model is not quite as nice but still sturdy and functional. It was spec'ed on many mid-level Japanese bikes.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-14-11, 10:20 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Every bit the equivalent to the Record pedal in every manner but cache.
Sorry John, you have hit upon on of my pet peeves, the incorrect use of foreign language words. You mean to use the word Cachet here. A cache is a "hide" or "storage place". Another very frequent error is the mixing up of the words mark/marque/marquee/Marquis. A mark can be a trademark or a scratch or similar. A marque, which is pronounced in exactly the same way as the word/name mark, is a brand which can also be a trademark, but generally refers to a given manufacturer who has long produced a line of products, i.e. the Bentley marque has produced a long line of high-end automobiles. A marquee, pronounced mar-kee, is the table that you would find outside a theater or similar where the the attractions are highlighted. A Marquis, also pronounced mar-kee, is noble title.
Citoyen du Monde is offline  
Likes For Citoyen du Monde:
Old 11-14-11, 10:33 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Sorry John, you have hit upon on of my pet peeves, the incorrect use of foreign language words. You mean to use the word Cachet here. A cache is a "hide" or "storage place". Another very frequent error is the mixing up of the words mark/marque/marquee/Marquis. A mark can be a trademark or a scratch or similar. A marque, which is pronounced in exactly the same way as the word/name mark, is a brand which can also be a trademark, but generally refers to a given manufacturer who has long produced a line of products, i.e. the Bentley marque has produced a long line of high-end automobiles. A marquee, pronounced mar-kee, is the table that you would find outside a theater or similar where the the attractions are highlighted. A Marquis, also pronounced mar-kee, is noble title.
Gee, I was willing to give John the benefit of it being a typographical error.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 11:32 AM
  #15  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,875

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,289 Times in 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Sorry John, you have hit upon on of my pet peeves, the incorrect use of foreign language words. You mean to use the word Cachet here. A cache is a "hide" or "storage place". Another very frequent error is the mixing up of the words mark/marque/marquee/Marquis. A mark can be a trademark or a scratch or similar. A marque, which is pronounced in exactly the same way as the word/name mark, is a brand which can also be a trademark, but generally refers to a given manufacturer who has long produced a line of products, i.e. the Bentley marque has produced a long line of high-end automobiles. A marquee, pronounced mar-kee, is the table that you would find outside a theater or similar where the the attractions are highlighted. A Marquis, also pronounced mar-kee, is noble title.
Mea culpa.

And to think I had four years of French.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 12:00 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
divineAndbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ontario
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chanced a set of pro-aces on ebay before, I never heard of them but they looked real good quality, and beautiful to boot (gotta have the black cages). I won them super cheap (well if it wasnt for the high shipping costs from japan they would of been cheap) also hinted they may be a nice kept secret. I think I put them through a whole northern ontario winter and they came out unscaved, bearings good and all - pretty good if you ask me.
divineAndbright is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 01:33 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Captain Blight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,473

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
Have you tried pedal extensions, I have 11 1/2 6E flippers and haven't been able to use a pair of my Kyokuto Top Run pedals or similar pedals until I started to use 27mm pedal extensions on my bikes. Not only does it allow me to use more of my good non platform pedals my cadence is a lot better and my hips and knees feel better for using them. The 27mm extensions are the widest I have found and there are two shorter versions if you don't need them that wide.
Buddy, I've never even heard of them until right this minute! Where, I pray, where can I get them!?
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Mea culpa.

And to think I had four years of French.
Moi aussi. Et maintenant, je veux de partir; ma grandmere, elle est flamme.
Captain Blight is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 02:54 PM
  #18  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,875

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,289 Times in 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Buddy, I've never even heard of them until right this minute! Where, I pray, where can I get them!?
Right here: https://www.kneesaver.net/

I put a set on my wife's bike; she loves them.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 11-14-11, 08:29 PM
  #19  
Disraeli Gears
 
Charles Wahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,162
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Mea culpa.

And to think I had four years of French.
John, you must'a ditched class the day they were teaching "le snobisme."
Charles Wahl is offline  
Old 11-15-11, 12:17 PM
  #20  
Lotus Monomaniac
 
Snydermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like KKT pedals and they were favored by Lotus, it seems like every bike I buy has the wrong pedals on it so I pick up KKT's when they go cheap on ebay. I agree that the Pro Ace seems every bit as good as Campy.

My only Pro Ace pedals are on my Odyssey, but here are some of the other models.



1) Campagnolo, Looks like Pro Ace in chrome or black alloy cage
2) Pro Vic, alloy body with riveted alloy cage, these seem less common than the Pro Vic II's
3) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage
4) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage in black
5) Pro Vic II, cast one piece alloy, I think these are the later style version
6) Top Run, steel body with riveted alloy cage, the cage looks exactly the same as the early Pro Vic.

The Pro Vic and Pro Vic II's use a plastic ring to seal the axle to the body, sometimes these are damaged, broken or missing. Some Pro Vic II's came with black dust caps.

I could seriously use a KKT dust cap wrench if anyone has one!
Snydermann is offline  
Likes For Snydermann:
Old 11-15-11, 05:36 PM
  #21  
Essentials Bike Works
Thread Starter
 
DirtyHarry714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Early 80 Celste Bianchi,Medici Pro Strada,Super Mondia,Cannondale Track Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice selection above! Best thing about this thread is i found someone to trade the top runs for a 26mm Ambrosio stem that i needed pretty badly.
DirtyHarry714 is offline  
Old 11-15-11, 08:44 PM
  #22  
curmudgineer
 
old's'cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago SW burbs
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
5) Pro Vic II, cast one piece alloy, I think these are the later style version
That's the style I have! Thanks for posting!
old's'cool is offline  
Old 10-11-16, 05:38 PM
  #23  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
I like KKT pedals and they were favored by Lotus, it seems like every bike I buy has the wrong pedals on it so I pick up KKT's when they go cheap on ebay. I agree that the Pro Ace seems every bit as good as Campy.

My only Pro Ace pedals are on my Odyssey, but here are some of the other models.



1) Campagnolo, Looks like Pro Ace in chrome or black alloy cage
2) Pro Vic, alloy body with riveted alloy cage, these seem less common than the Pro Vic II's
3) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage
4) Pro Vic II, alloy body with riveted alloy cage in black
5) Pro Vic II, cast one piece alloy, I think these are the later style version
6) Top Run, steel body with riveted alloy cage, the cage looks exactly the same as the early Pro Vic.

The Pro Vic and Pro Vic II's use a plastic ring to seal the axle to the body, sometimes these are damaged, broken or missing. Some Pro Vic II's came with black dust caps.

I could seriously use a KKT dust cap wrench if anyone has one!


I have 5) version and they have the worst bearings I have ever encountered. They belong with a Miche hub on a bike that will slow you down.
avhed is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 11:46 AM
  #24  
over the hill
 
juls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 1,410

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have #5. I like them. Missing a cap tho/and doubt I'll find one. Chrome painted plastic.
juls is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 12:38 PM
  #25  
Heck on Wheels
 
SloButWide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA Midwest
Posts: 1,100

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
I like KKT pedals and they were favored by Lotus, it seems like every bike I buy has the wrong pedals on it so I pick up KKT's when they go cheap on ebay. I agree that the Pro Ace seems every bit as good as Campy.
Thanks for a great answer. "Vintage Kyokuto Pro Ace Bike Pedals 9/16" Road Mountain Cinelli Cages" BIN $39.99, if you don't mind the Bearings are slightly rough comment.
__________________
"I had a great ride this morning, except for that part about winding up at work."

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

SloButWide is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.