Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your C&V Gravel Grinders

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your C&V Gravel Grinders

Old 02-09-14, 12:38 PM
  #451  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RTP Area, NC
Posts: 401

Bikes: Somebody stole them all... I walk now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finished up my other winter project. I should have taken some pictures, but the wheels have some custom CNC (CNC'd?) hubs from 1984. I bought the bike from the original owner that worked in an LBS that sold a few of the hubs back in the day.

oh, the bike is a Univega Gran Turismo.

blilrat is offline  
Old 02-10-14, 09:05 AM
  #452  
Junior Member
 
h3hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11

Bikes: ridley, peugeot, airborne 29r, quest mtb with amp F1 fork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, glad to hear it! I plan on keeping a record of other bike related tinkering up there. Currently working on my 'real' road bike now. Its been ridden hard and put up wet for far too long.

Originally Posted by noglider
h3hound, I really like that bike and its story. I read your blog. You've given me ideas.
h3hound is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 09:15 AM
  #453  
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,271

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts




Finally finished with the Poprad. I picked up this frame NOS a couple months ago. I swiped a few parts off the Gitane TDF that I'd been intending to slowly recreate/rebuild over the summer, that one will return to more original equipment most likely. I believe the Poprad frame is an '02, with a one inch fork instead of the published one and an eighth, so maybe an oddity. It's the Reynolds 853 "designer mix" of 853 main tubes and 6xx Reynolds tubes for the stays. It has the same net positioning for me as my Trek 760, so I'm hoping I can chew through gravel like I'm on a slightly slower road bike.

I wanted hill gearing for the upcoming Almonzo and happened upon a 13-30 cassette to mate with the 48/34 crank. Actually the net gearing is pretty close to my 12-28 46/30 on the trek in terms of steps and range, so another reason I hope it's a natural fit. The Poprad is running a standard cyclocross shimergo 8 speed setup, driving Ultegra derailleurs. I opted to avoid the Poprad brake chatter issues, so used a lower fork mount cable hanger (also helps get the wheel off the front with a lower straddle cable). The wheels are nothing special, and some Ksyrium Equipe's will be used for events (the wheels currently on it are spring pothole friendly). The cables need a final trim after a bit of shakedown and successful first outing. Anyhow, thought I'd share the results before I get it all messed up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1685.jpg (100.4 KB, 1183 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1687.jpg (107.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1688.jpg (104.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1689.jpg (100.6 KB, 1173 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1690.jpg (102.5 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1691.jpg (101.5 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1686.jpg (102.4 KB, 1169 views)
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 10:37 AM
  #454  
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Posts: 5,964

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly

Finally finished with the Poprad.
Looks great! I especially like the bar tape choice, what brand is it?
Interesting saddle position, very time trial/tri bike forward bias. Is this to place more weight on the front tire? I noticed recently while playing in the dirt with my drop bar conversion, that being more forward on top of the levers resulted in better traction and handling. A lot more confidence inspiring when at speed.

What size tires are those?
Very envious of you, Jeff, and Grady and the rest of the forumites who will be at this year's Almonzo. Wish I could join you guys. Sounds like a heck of an event.
WNG is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 11:09 AM
  #455  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,222
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly




Finally finished with the Poprad. I picked up this frame NOS a couple months ago. I swiped a few parts off the Gitane TDF that I'd been intending to slowly recreate/rebuild over the summer, that one will return to more original equipment most likely. I believe the Poprad frame is an '02, with a one inch fork instead of the published one and an eighth, so maybe an oddity. It's the Reynolds 853 "designer mix" of 853 main tubes and 6xx Reynolds tubes for the stays. It has the same net positioning for me as my Trek 760, so I'm hoping I can chew through gravel like I'm on a slightly slower road bike.

I wanted hill gearing for the upcoming Almonzo and happened upon a 13-30 cassette to mate with the 48/34 crank. Actually the net gearing is pretty close to my 12-28 46/30 on the trek in terms of steps and range, so another reason I hope it's a natural fit. The Poprad is running a standard cyclocross shimergo 8 speed setup, driving Ultegra derailleurs. I opted to avoid the Poprad brake chatter issues, so used a lower fork mount cable hanger (also helps get the wheel off the front with a lower straddle cable). The wheels are nothing special, and some Ksyrium Equipe's will be used for events (the wheels currently on it are spring pothole friendly). The cables need a final trim after a bit of shakedown and successful first outing. Anyhow, thought I'd share the results before I get it all messed up.
Looks fantistic.

Smart gearing. You'll be able to track with the big kids I think.

You are also wise to use the lower fork hanger. It should take most of the chatter out.

That's the right build for all Minnesota roads this spring, not just gravel.

Man, the roads here stink.

Fwiw I tossed some SKS Longboards on my Fargo for our ride this morning. What a difference in comfort.
gomango is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 11:15 AM
  #456  
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,557

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Tektro hangers and z-link wires really transform canti's from finicky nuisances to great, easy to use stoppers.

nice build, and have fun on the Almanzo!
Italuminium is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 11:31 AM
  #457  
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,271

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
Looks great! I especially like the bar tape choice, what brand is it?
Interesting saddle position, very time trial/tri bike forward bias. Is this to place more weight on the front tire? I noticed recently while playing in the dirt with my drop bar conversion, that being more forward on top of the levers resulted in better traction and handling. A lot more confidence inspiring when at speed.

What size tires are those?
Very envious of you, Jeff, and Grady and the rest of the forumites who will be at this year's Almonzo. Wish I could join you guys. Sounds like a heck of an event.
Thanks. The bar tape is some stuff from Bontrager. The saddle is such a dark brown, that I could not find a solid color tape that matched, and didn't want to use cloth tape with shellac for such rough roads (but would have done so if I'd not found this tape). It's sort of a two tone brown, and worked out well.

The tires are 40's, and they are the 120tpi clements. I wanted to try the skinwall Bruce Gordon tires, but didn't have the clearance for them.

As for weight bias, the seat position mimics the 760 which I ride all the time. Over time my riding position has really crept forward, and I use a lot more hamstring in my non-climbing cadence than I did for years. Just getting old, and have to use more muscles to get the job done I suppose.

I'm also used to being front weighted in the soft stuff, as my croll is a drop MTB setup that I tend to ride on the hoods. So I hope my experience is like yours, and it works out for better traction on some of those downhill turns in the river bottoms around here. The Almonzo will be my first gravel event, and I'm not intending to do anything but finish. Secondary goal is to not walk up any of the hills.
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 11:34 AM
  #458  
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,271

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Looks fantistic.

Smart gearing. You'll be able to track with the big kids I think.

You are also wise to use the lower fork hanger. It should take most of the chatter out.

That's the right build for all Minnesota roads this spring, not just gravel.

Man, the roads here stink.

Fwiw I tossed some SKS Longboards on my Fargo for our ride this morning. What a difference in comfort.
Grady, I think you are right about fenders and long ride comfort. I just need to teach myself the hard way, I suppose. Thanks for the compliment. This is the last skiing weekend for me barring a late March snowstorm (trails getting too rutted and icy, but the roads are no picnic either and I agree they are pretty bad this year).
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 03:35 PM
  #459  
Senior Member
 
Kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schwenksville, Pa
Posts: 2,857

Bikes: '80 Mercian Olympic, '82 Kabuki GranKabuki,92 DB Overdrive, '07 Rivendell AHH, '16 Clockwork All-Rounder, '22 New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Tektro hangers and z-link wires really transform canti's from finicky nuisances to great, easy to use stoppers.

nice build, and have fun on the Almanzo!
I agree on the Tektro set up. They made go for absolutely hating canti's to loving them now.They are so much easier to set up and adjust.
__________________
Kobe is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 03:52 PM
  #460  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,222
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Grady, I think you are right about fenders and long ride comfort. I just need to teach myself the hard way, I suppose. Thanks for the compliment. This is the last skiing weekend for me barring a late March snowstorm (trails getting too rutted and icy, but the roads are no picnic either and I agree they are pretty bad this year).
I'm on break next week, so I will be skiing four days at Welch next week.

If it's warm enough I am doing the pond skip on the 22nd.

I'll be riding everyday though.

Btw My money's on you doing the entire ride at Almanzo. Oriole Hill is tough though, so do some reps before the event.

If you want to pace with some speedsters, I'll be happy to introduce you. Nice guys, but I won't be quick enough to hang with them.

I'll be walking up half the hills unless I push my mileage way up and do something about gearing.
gomango is offline  
Old 03-15-14, 04:21 PM
  #461  
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,618

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
Looks great! I especially like the bar tape choice, what brand is it?
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Thanks. The bar tape is some stuff from Bontrager. The saddle is such a dark brown, that I could not find a solid color tape that matched, and didn't want to use cloth tape with shellac for such rough roads (but would have done so if I'd not found this tape). It's sort of a two tone brown, and worked out well.
I really like the cushioned Bontraeger bar tapes. Especially since they changed the imprint pattern.

I like to buy a bunch at the Wheel And Sprocket Bike Expo- they usually have it on sale. I prefer the Brown and the White.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglinĺ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 09:32 AM
  #462  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1986 Miyata 610 resurrected as a gravel randonneur:



Didn't change much. Left it as a six-speed, just moved DT shifters to Barcons.
spencewine is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 02:30 PM
  #463  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
What a useful looking bicycle. Lovely!
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 09:09 PM
  #464  
Senior Member
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hey Chrome Molly,

Very nice build, your Poprad is perfect! I miss my Poprad, that Reynolds frame had such a nice ride for a CX bike, I'm getting all nostalgic looking at yours. I've often thought about picking up another frame and building it up with a ShimErgo set up. I'm really curious to hear your trail report, please share any highs or lows, thanks!

Thanks for sharing!

-D-
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 11:27 PM
  #465  
Senior Member
 
Velocivixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,525
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Hey Spencewine, what bars are those? The curve looks tight & shallow. Yes? Thanks.
Velocivixen is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 11:54 PM
  #466  
Se˝or Member
 
4Rings6Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston Burbs
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not quite C&V...but it's steel and C&V inspired. Currently has 29mm tires and fenders. Will handle the gravel nicely.

This bike > all my other bikes, current and past.

I have a few alloy Campy 10s groups I could hang on it, but the Sram stuff works so well it's hard to justify removing it...





I also have this bike's big brother...but the only gravel this one will see is if there is a gravel section of the CX race course.



When the conditions are really sloppy, I ride this beast. I "raced" it in northern VT a few weeks ago for Rasputitsa. Only thing C&V about this one is the saddle...


Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 05-07-14 at 12:07 AM.
4Rings6Stars is offline  
Old 05-07-14, 08:14 AM
  #467  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Hey Spencewine, what bars are those? The curve looks tight & shallow. Yes? Thanks.
Velocivixen, they are SR Randonneur handlebars. Yes, they are shallow and narrow. The drop also flairs out a bit....kind of similar to Soma woodchipper bars, but not nearly as aggressive of a flair. Lovely bars, really.
spencewine is offline  
Old 07-10-14, 11:50 AM
  #468  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


My Centurion Elite GT. I'm thinking the saddle color needs to change. Doesn't quite match up right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140710_104013_255.jpg (98.5 KB, 554 views)
dubjay is offline  
Old 09-14-14, 02:49 PM
  #469  
Senior Member
 
djkashuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monte Rio CA
Posts: 1,127

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 148 Posts
Centurion Pro Tour 15 by djk762, on Flickr

Centurion Pro Tour 15 by djk762, on Flickr

-D
djkashuba is offline  
Old 09-14-14, 03:58 PM
  #470  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
That looks great! Did you have it stripped and plated or did it come that way?
MattoftheRocks is offline  
Old 09-14-14, 04:27 PM
  #471  
Senior Member
 
djkashuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monte Rio CA
Posts: 1,127

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 148 Posts
A Previous owner stripped it. Great ride.

-D

Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
That looks great! Did you have it stripped and plated or did it come that way?
djkashuba is offline  
Old 12-24-15, 03:41 PM
  #472  
Champion of the Low End
 
Primitive Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Culver, IN
Posts: 1,064

Bikes: I have some bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
1983 Schwinn Traveler, built into a gravel grinder with a new Sun CR18 wheelset and a 1X7 gearing setup.


Last edited by Primitive Don; 03-21-16 at 06:40 AM.
Primitive Don is offline  
Old 03-20-16, 09:57 PM
  #473  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 Kona Explosif, Albatross bars, Cardiff Wessex saddle, Pasela 26x1.75" tires (now).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kona3.jpg (93.7 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg
Kona2.jpg (98.2 KB, 519 views)
ayjaydee is offline  
Old 03-20-16, 11:07 PM
  #474  
tantum vehi
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 4,538

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 474 Posts
This thing ground some gravel yesterday and quite a bit last September on the Cino.



Pasela 35's fit, but just barely.

Always looking for an excuse to post and/or view bike porn.
mountaindave is offline  
Old 03-21-16, 12:06 AM
  #475  
Senior Member
 
pcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts
Recently tried 650b Hetres on my neo-retro '05 Mercian Vincitore, and hit a nearby rail trail a week or two back. It was built for 700c wheels, but feels both a little faster and floatier with 650b.

BEFORE, w/700x35mm Compass Stampede Pass tires:


AFTER, w/650bx42mm Hetres:


__________________
Fuggedaboutit!
pcb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.