Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally finished the cleanup/rebuilt/mini-resto of my wife's 1974 Raleigh Sports

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally finished the cleanup/rebuilt/mini-resto of my wife's 1974 Raleigh Sports

Old 05-08-12, 07:16 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally finished the cleanup/rebuilt/mini-resto of my wife's 1974 Raleigh Sports

Bought a 1974 Raleigh Sports lady's step through bike for $30 at a junk store near my house about a month ago. Thought it would be a fun project to take it totally apart to the frame, clean and fix it up and rebuild it. I was pleasantly surprised as I tore it down to find out that it was totally original and after I got the dirt and grime off of it, it seems to have hardly been ridden at all.

Now that I have finished my first REAL cleanup / rebuild / mini-restoration, I am pretty pleased with the bike. It looks good and rides great, nice and smooth. I can see why people love these old English 3-speeds!

First some BEFORE photos:



And now the AFTER:



Almost everything is still original - only had to add new Kenda Gumwall tires, new cables and housing, and new cotters for those blasted cottered cranks. The SA hub only needed a bit of oil after taking it apart and seeing how clean it was and it is shifting and running awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0462_small.jpg (84.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0443_small.jpg (97.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0446_small.jpg (95.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0449_small.jpg (101.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0460_small.jpg (83.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
Raleigh_whole_small.jpg (106.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0543_small.jpg (104.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0546_small.jpg (102.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0548_small.jpg (90.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0550_small.jpg (93.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0552_small.jpg (93.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0555_small.jpg (94.8 KB, 53 views)
TNDave is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:19 PM
  #2  
gna
Count Orlok Member
 
gna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,817

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 94 Posts
Looks great.

Now you need a matching Gentleman's model...
gna is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:41 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Wow - Quite a transition. That before and after shot is really remarkable, TNDave!
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:47 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Wow - Quite a transition. That before and after shot is really remarkable, TNDave!
Thanks Auchen - I hope to one day reach the level of you and Randyjawa when it comes to fixing up bikes! Not only am I happy with the result, but I did all the work with techniques and information I learned from this forum! It was a blast and now that I'm done with it I'm ready to tackle the Nishiki that I have posted about the colors and upgrades.

What a great way to learn about bikes than to tear one apart and have to put it back together again. I think my FAVORITE part was spending time with my sons (ages 10 and 13) in the driveway teaching them how to clean and repack a headset and bottom bracket and then letting them help do it, and spending time together cleaning and waxing the frame. That was a WHOLE lot better quality time with them than sitting in front of the TV together! And then they get to ride the final result. What a blast....
TNDave is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:51 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great! But I doubt you will be able to stop at just one Raleigh 3 speed. When that happens, you will find the Bikesmith cotter press to be indispensable and may actually come to prefer cotters like some of us that own the tool.
PatrickZ is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:05 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickZ
Looks great! But I doubt you will be able to stop at just one Raleigh 3 speed. When that happens, you will find the Bikesmith cotter press to be indispensable and may actually come to prefer cotters like some of us that own the tool.
I would love to find a Sport or Sprite or other vintage Raleigh in my size after riding this one. After what I went through I'm sure I would find the cotter press to be indispensable, but I doubt I would ever prefer a cottered crank
TNDave is offline  
Old 05-09-12, 07:25 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,533

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 218 Posts
Looks really good TNDave. You have good me fired up to start work on the pair of sprites I picked up yesterday.
browngw is offline  
Old 05-09-12, 07:50 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TNDave
T.....

What a great way to learn about bikes than to tear one apart and have to put it back together again. I think my FAVORITE part was spending time with my sons (ages 10 and 13) in the driveway teaching them how to clean and repack a headset and bottom bracket and then letting them help do it, and spending time together cleaning and waxing the frame. That was a WHOLE lot better quality time with them than sitting in front of the TV together! And then they get to ride the final result. What a blast....
+1000
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 05-09-12, 08:35 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Looks really good TNDave. You have good me fired up to start work on the pair of sprites I picked up yesterday.
I saw those, nice find! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out for you!
TNDave is offline  
Old 07-07-12, 07:35 PM
  #10  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - really nice! I've recently purchased a somewhat beat-up Raleigh Sports 3-speed for my wife to tool around town with me. I have big plans to restore it, which is why I'm on this thread! Your post has inspired me - any words of advice before I begin?
FYI - I'm somewhat new to cycling. Been commuting 13 miles roundtrip to work and have become passionate about my bike, and now my wife's bike. I'm planning on learning quite a bit as I disassemble her bike, have it powder coated and re-assemble.
Looking forward to this resto - I'll post pics once I finish!
mcmarrocco is offline  
Old 07-07-12, 08:01 PM
  #11  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,561

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 505 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7211 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,319 Posts
Excellent work. The before pictures were pretty awful. Now look what you have!
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 07-09-12, 09:18 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,533

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by TNDave
I saw those, nice find! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out for you!
The Ladies 1976 "Sprite" 10 speed (CAN) in emerald green has been recently refurbished for the road. Other than a few scratches to repair the orignal paint came up nicely with polishing compound and high tech modern car wax. Tires, tubes, brake pads, grips and seat were replaced. I have the old seat that came with it but it was also a replacement. When I get time I will try cleaning and repairing it. My wife chose the modern white grips as it is her "ride". I am going to try mixing some touch up paint.

She was apprehensive of the non indexed shifting but has picked up the knack of proper gear selection.

The Mens large 1975 "Sprite" 10 speed (ENG) is next in line but it has some problems including a non original front wheel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2003.jpg (106.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2001.jpg (105.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1977.jpg (103.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1978.jpg (104.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1994.jpg (103.3 KB, 116 views)
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 07-09-12, 09:36 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Congratulations on a great job! And for remembering to take "before" pics. I always forget that part. What an elegant ride. As was stated earlier, +1 on finding the matching gent's. Also, I'm of the opinion that one way to store up loads of good karma points is to rebuild bikes for your wife. So, we've got that going for us.
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 07-09-12, 06:29 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmarrocco
Wow - really nice! I've recently purchased a somewhat beat-up Raleigh Sports 3-speed for my wife to tool around town with me. I have big plans to restore it, which is why I'm on this thread! Your post has inspired me - any words of advice before I begin?
FYI - I'm somewhat new to cycling. Been commuting 13 miles roundtrip to work and have become passionate about my bike, and now my wife's bike. I'm planning on learning quite a bit as I disassemble her bike, have it powder coated and re-assemble.
Looking forward to this resto - I'll post pics once I finish!
The single biggest piece of advice I had to continually tell myself was not to get in a hurry. Take your time, enjoy, learn, read, fiddle. I spent a TON of time on here and Sheldon Brown's site and learned a ton and had a great time. And then when it is finished, ride and enjoy!
TNDave is offline  
Old 07-09-12, 06:30 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TNDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
The Ladies 1976 "Sprite" 10 speed (CAN) in emerald green has been recently refurbished for the road. Other than a few scratches to repair the orignal paint came up nicely with polishing compound and high tech modern car wax. Tires, tubes, brake pads, grips and seat were replaced. I have the old seat that came with it but it was also a replacement. When I get time I will try cleaning and repairing it. My wife chose the modern white grips as it is her "ride". I am going to try mixing some touch up paint.

She was apprehensive of the non indexed shifting but has picked up the knack of proper gear selection.

The Mens large 1975 "Sprite" 10 speed (ENG) is next in line but it has some problems including a non original front wheel.

Awesome job! Cleaned up beatifully, very nice work!
TNDave is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
verktyg
Classic & Vintage
33
05-24-16 01:36 PM
dweenk
Classic & Vintage
16
07-13-15 07:58 PM
Thumpic
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
06-02-15 10:31 AM
3alarmer
Classic & Vintage
19
07-24-14 06:15 PM
atulkunte
Classic & Vintage
6
01-23-12 07:59 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.