Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Austro-Daimler Find -- anyone have more info, and a minor dent/rust question (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/816806-austro-daimler-find-anyone-have-more-info-minor-dent-rust-question.html)

Orrery 05-09-12 06:34 AM

Austro-Daimler Find -- anyone have more info, and a minor dent/rust question
 
I haven't bought a bike for a long time, and saw a Bianchi listed on CL... turns out the other bike in the picture was closer to my size and had a bunch of Campy NR parts, so I bought it.

It was advertised as an Austro-Daimler, and it has an A D on the seat lug stay area, but no headbadge or other decals. SN is 6168?77. The fork is stamped Reynolds 531, frame seems to take a 27.2 seatpost. I've searched and found a bit of info on the web, but if anyone can identify a model name definitively I'd be grateful.

Unfortunately I found a small dent on the top tube on inspection in the light, and looks to have been kept in a basement with signs of some surface rust, spidering under the paint, etc. I couldn't find other evidence of a crash; what are you guy's opinion in the structural integrity? Would I be crazy to ride it? Crazy not to ride it? YANMFB (you are not my frame builder, etc etc, and not liable if I ride it and it explodes). Last two pics show the dent. Refinish? Throw away and part out? Touch up? Your opinions are welcomed!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7...d4c4e419_z.jpg
IMG_1706 by orrery84, on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7091/7...999e2a28_z.jpg
IMG_1708 by orrery84, on Flickr
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5113/7...259f7b3e_z.jpg
IMG_1709 by orrery84, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7235/7...6d21822d_z.jpg
IMG_1710 by orrery84, on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/7...0bdfbdd0_z.jpg
IMG_1711 by orrery84, on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/7...45f9fb4a_z.jpg
IMG_1712 by orrery84, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/7...8605eac9_z.jpg
IMG_1713 by orrery84, on Flickr
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5279/7...0c7a73f5_z.jpg
IMG_1714 by orrery84, on Flickr

Bianchigirll 05-09-12 06:40 AM

It looks to me like the bike fell on something or the other way around. depending on where it was on the TT and the position of the handlebars that is a possibility too.

This looks repainted to finding a model name may not be possible. With those long dropouts I would suspect this is a mid '70s frame. can you list the conponents that were on it? did it have Campi brakes? if now what brand model, same with the cranks hubs and the bar and stem. thay may help naorrow things down.

Italuminium 05-09-12 06:42 AM

Looks like it already had a repaint. Always a shame to throw aout a quality 531 frame. The rust doesn't look too severe. My best guess is strip it and have it painted/powdercoated. Keep the NR!

Orrery 05-09-12 06:46 AM

Thanks. It looked to be equipped with a nearly complete NR Group -- NR brakes, Strada crank, FD, RD (Pat 77), shifters. Unfortunately the levers were switched out to Aero Gran Compes. I also got a rear Campy record/MA40 clincher wheel, the front was a mismatched Ofmega hub/Mavic Module E frame. I like the powdercoat idea, maybe orange...

puchfinnland 05-09-12 07:51 AM

your frame is between 78-79, it is reynolds 531. and a very good frame-I have the same.
you may just have a TI BB! check with a magnet

give me a serial number and I know more.

can you figure out the original color by doing some scratching? it will help know your model.

dont powdercoat- paint it. when you get a chip in the powdercoating the rust takes off under and there is no stopping it-and no touchup.
there is no primer under powder, paint is far more durable

dont sandblast it- sodablast it (sandblasting will peen the surface and possibly warp your frame-reynolds is pretty thin allready.

that top tube dent you might be able to do something about, I noticed you could put something round thru the seatpost tube and push it forward to the right spot and force it out. this is a theory that needs looking into.

mike

Orrery 05-09-12 08:00 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your info! It does seem to be a very nice frame, so I would like to keep it. The SN is 6168?77 -- there was a bit of rust where the question mark is so I'm not sure if there is a number there or not.

I will check the spindle and scratch it a bit when I get home. I'm wondering whether it might be a Superleicht.

ScottRyder 05-09-12 10:56 AM

Hey Orrery, a little inspiration for you! My Ultima Superleicht:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ma/file-58.jpg

I think it's a good chance your's is a Superliecht. Or if you discovered those front lugs were chrome under the paint maybe an Ultima Superliecht. That's quite a nice frame, I wouldn't powder coat it, I'd have it professionally repainted and that ding fixed .. I'm in Gloucester if you ever want to see my A-D.

Scott

Orrery 05-09-12 11:05 AM

Hi Scott,

Wow, that's a beauty! A restoration would certainly be fun; do you have any recommendations for someone in the area, especially that might be able to fix the ding? It might end up being a long term project because I'm sure that would be pricy.

PS also enjoyed your Austro-Daimler blog and looking at the 1976 catalog.

ScottRyder 05-09-12 11:31 AM

I've got a painter up here on the North Shore who's quite reasonable .. and I'm working with JR at Velocals.com for the Superliecht and Ultima decals. Drop me a PM when you get the chance ..

Scott

bikemore 05-09-12 01:24 PM

I have an AD 531 fraom with a fork with an Austrian sized fork race. 26.0. I am guessing you probably have a standard size race, but it is a real bummer to have a 26.0 race and
no good source for a replacement.

Orrery 05-09-12 01:46 PM


Originally Posted by bikemore (Post 14201478)
I have an AD 531 fraom with a fork with an Austrian sized fork race. 26.0. I am guessing you probably have a standard size race, but it is a real bummer to have a 26.0 race and
no good source for a replacement.

That's too bad, that sounds rare as hens teeth. I've poked around in the headset a little bit and it seems to be English threaded. BB also appears to be English, which is fine by me :D

puchfinnland 05-09-12 02:48 PM

you have found this sight?
http://www.company7.com/bosendorfer/ADbicycle.html

there is a lot of info here in german on PUCH AD high end bikes-this thread is the grail and the master is "fast freddy"-he has over 42 PUCH's

http://nyx.at/bikeboard/Board/showth...-von-1979-1987


I just got my PUCH(AD) frame back from the Local car painter- he paints about 10 bike frames a year for our LBS.
dropped it off monday afternoon, picked it up wednesday morning- that is quick service.
but then again I brought it to him in bare metal, completly taped.

pictures of my bike?- well i went to the LBS who recommend the painter to me- I asked him about renting a tandem for the mothers day weekend- well the tandem and my frame did not fint in the van together so my puch is sleeping at the LBS til monday-(good- my swmbo would be having fits if i was screwing around with the frame on motheres day!)
you can find my thread by searcing puch mistral ultima

the red AD in this thread- is it a 1978?

puchfinnland 05-09-12 02:54 PM

this puts it between 78-9
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Aus...al_numbers.htm

this was the turning point of top tube clamps going to braze on cable guides, this may be one of the earliest ones before the fittings showed up at the factory**********
those top tube cable braze ons are very unique I have never seen them like that-any other AD owners seen them before like that?

Orrery 05-09-12 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by puchfinnland (Post 14201934)
you have found this sight?
http://www.company7.com/bosendorfer/ADbicycle.html

there is a lot of info here in german on PUCH AD high end bikes-this thread is the grail and the master is "fast freddy"-he has over 42 PUCH's

http://nyx.at/bikeboard/Board/showth...-von-1979-1987


I just got my PUCH(AD) frame back from the Local car painter- he paints about 10 bike frames a year for our LBS.
dropped it off monday afternoon, picked it up wednesday morning- that is quick service.
but then again I brought it to him in bare metal, completly taped.

pictures of my bike?- well i went to the LBS who recommend the painter to me- I asked him about renting a tandem for the mothers day weekend- well the tandem and my frame did not fint in the van together so my puch is sleeping at the LBS til monday-(good- my swmbo would be having fits if i was screwing around with the frame on motheres day!)
you can find my thread by searcing puch mistral ultima

the red AD in this thread- is it a 1978?

Thanks for the links! I had stumbled on the first one and have read part of it. Very interesting. I will spend some time in that forum, hopefully Google Translate will not steer me too far away :D. I also saw your Puch Mistral Ultima thread, looking forward to seeing the new paint job.


Originally Posted by puchfinnland (Post 14201971)
this puts it between 78-9
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Aus...al_numbers.htm

this was the turning point of top tube clamps going to braze on cable guides, this may be one of the earliest ones before the fittings showed up at the factory**********
those top tube cable braze ons are very unique I have never seen them like that-any other AD owners seen them before like that?

I think you are right about '78-79, seems to go with the serial # and components. This is exciting; this is the oldest bike and only Campy-equipped bike I've owned. Could be an expensive phase for me :D.

Chombi 05-09-12 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by puchfinnland (Post 14199882)
...............dont powdercoat- paint it. when you get a chip in the powdercoating the rust takes off under and there is no stopping it-and no touchup.
there is no primer under powder, paint is far more durable.................

mike

Paint, more durable than powder coating?? You sure??.....
I always thought it was the other way around. That's why people always looked to powder coating as something extra. I've also heard complaints on how much harder it is to strip a powdercoated frame compared to a conventionally painted one. does primer also really provide an extra sealing effect to the paintjob as you seem to suggest?

Chombi

ScottRyder 05-09-12 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by Orrery (Post 14202007)
This is exciting; this is the oldest bike and only Campy-equipped bike I've owned. Could be an expensive phase for me :D.

You're doomed, that's what happened to me. :D

Scott


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.