Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August? (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/824362-anyone-up-whole-lot-pain-sw-wisconsin-august.html)

iab 06-10-12 05:59 PM

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August?
 
Just found and bought an 18-21-24 freewheel for my bike. I'm ready for some climbing.

The HHH is full, too crowded and the food sucks. Never liked that ride.

That leaves the Wisconsin Gran Fondo, the Dairyland Dare. I'm thinking about the 200K route. Which is over 12,000 feet of climbing. A real ass-kicker.

August 11, 2012. http://www.dairylanddare.com/index.html

Them - 33-speed carbon wonder
Me - 3-speed steel wonder

Anyone else want to join in for some real vintage suffering?

RobbieTunes 06-10-12 07:54 PM

iab, you da man on a 24t cog for some of those hills.

I had no idea there was a ride right next to my hometown.
I encourage anyone to ride one of those routes. The people there are very cool.
I've ridden a lot of those roads. I grew up there, and bombed all those roads.
There are short hills in there that will literally stand you up, but they're short.

In Mineral Point, you'll either be flying downhill (Antoine, Commerce, Fountain)
or standing on the pedals (Spruce, High St, long climb to Doty and then the ridge).
Let me know if you climb the first 200' of High St without dismounting.
I rode up it on my paper route, but it took a couple of months to get there.

Most variety of lodging is in Dodgeville, due to Land's End being there.
Great food at the Courthouse Inn, downtown (a whopping mile or so away).

Mineral Point only has one motel open right now, the other is being remodeled.
You may find much more reasonable rates in Barneveld or Ridgeway.
The best taverns, though, are in Mineral Point.
If you go to Tony's Tap, tell Tony you know Robbie.

Land's End will be great hosts. I know lots of their employees.
(E=MC2 Everyone = My Cousin, 2x removed)

When you get done, take some time to buy some cheese at Schumann's.
It's not far from your start/finish, and they'll ship it for you.
If you can, then check out the House on the Rock, or Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen East.
(if you are able to check out the scenery on the western part of the 150/200K,
you'll see houses that his students built for local residents.)

Watch out for the deer, and the beer. Both are very real.
The New Glarus, especially.

I am so freakin' jealous now.

bikamper 06-10-12 08:27 PM

The old 400K and 600K brevets from the Harvard, IL Brevet series ran that way 20+ years ago. It was tough when I was in my thirties. It would suck now in my fifties.

Did one 600K in 1991 and got caught in a bad thunderstorm coming into Barneveld. You ain't lived until the phone pole you are riding past gets struck by lightning and the shockwave from the INSTANT thunderclap knocks you on your a$$.:thumb:

gomango 06-10-12 08:46 PM

Very interested!

Probably have a friend or two that would join me as well.

Maybe even my wife!

You could all come just to watch her ride me into the dirt.

buldogge 06-10-12 08:56 PM

I might be talked into it...but...I won't be on a 12-24 3-speed...and...I want promises of no laughing, under any circumstances.

gomango 06-10-12 09:06 PM


Originally Posted by buldogge (Post 14338936)
I might be talked into it...but...I won't be on a 12-24 3-speed...and...I want promises of no laughing, under any circumstances.

LOL You haven't lived until you've seen my chubby self waddle up the Ramsey Hill in St. Paul.

10% + grade.

With a 12-25 the last time I made it.

Lungs exploding for air.

Now that's funny!!!!

...and I will be frantically searching for a Campy Triple the millisecond after I'd sign up.

buldogge 06-10-12 09:09 PM

I'm thinking 50-34, 12-29...doable?


Originally Posted by gomango (Post 14338968)
LOL You haven't lived until you've seen my chubby self waddle up the Ramsey Hill in St. Paul.

10% + grade.

With a 12-25 the last time I made it.

Lungs exploding for air.

Now that's funny!!!!

...and I will be frantically searching for a Campy Triple the millisecond after I'd sign up.


gomango 06-10-12 09:14 PM


Originally Posted by buldogge (Post 14338977)
I'm thinking 50-34, 12-29...doable?

Yep.

I'd bring your Meech.

I'll throw a triple on my Hollands.

..or maybe on the Kvale up at the cabin.

The real trick is putting in miles, serious miles.

Raining here tonight, but we start our summer ride schedule tomorrow morning at 5:30.

Now if I can avoid the Eggs Benedict afterwards, this will work out just fine.

buldogge 06-10-12 09:21 PM

This is all pavement...no?

Might be a good ride for the Legend Ti, actually.


Originally Posted by gomango (Post 14338987)
Yep.

I'd bring your Meech.

I'll throw a triple on my Hollands.

..or maybe on the Kvale up at the cabin.

The real trick is putting in miles, serious miles.

Raining here tonight, but we start our summer ride schedule tomorrow morning at 5:30.

Now if I can avoid the Eggs Benedict afterwards, this will work out just fine.


Chicago Al 06-10-12 09:23 PM

I saw that and thought...just maybe...the 65km or whatever it is, anyway, the 'bunny hill.' Not only am I old, I am a late-blooming cyclist and nearly all my riding has been here in the flats, so that looks like plenty. Actually more than enough. No sense in going up there if I bail in the first 5 miles.

However I do have fond memories of that area, as my wife and I went on some weekend camping trips to Governor Dodge early in our relationship. :) She would definitely not ride but might come up to lend moral support.

gomango 06-10-12 09:23 PM


Originally Posted by buldogge (Post 14339011)
This is all pavement...no?

Might be a good ride for the Legend Ti, actually.

...and for gosh sakes, where are those pics? :)

buldogge 06-10-12 09:29 PM

******bag seller didn't ship the frameset until last Thursday (theoretically, this guys communication skills leave a lot to be desired)...

Hopefully it arrives tomorrow...pics on Wednesday. ;)


Originally Posted by gomango (Post 14339021)
...and for gosh sakes, where are those pics? :)


gomango 06-10-12 09:35 PM


Originally Posted by buldogge (Post 14339038)
******bag seller didn't ship the frameset until last Thursday (theoretically, this guys communication skills leave a lot to be desired)...

Hopefully it arrives tomorrow...pics on Wednesday. ;)

A dream bicycle for sure.

I ride with a guy that has one.

Gorgeous!

RobbieTunes 06-11-12 04:36 PM


Originally Posted by buldogge (Post 14338977)
I'm thinking 50-34, 12-29...doable?

.
Yes. You're experienced enough to pace yourself.
The 30-mile route is similar to one I walked for Unicef when I was in 3rd grade.
I tried to bounce a basketball the whole way, but got blisters inside of 10 miles (on my hands).

Back when I rode some of those roads, they were actually gravel, and you needed a fat-tired bike.
I'm sure they're all paved now.

Heck, there's enough to do in Mineral Point alone that your wives will be disappointed you finished.

iab 06-11-12 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 14338724)
iab, you da man on a 24t cog for some of those hills.

I'd be da man if I stuck with my 49-tooth ring. But I'll be swapping it out with a 42. If I find a 40 that works on my crank, maybe that.

For those who need a place to sleep, eat and drink, I highly recommend the Brew Pub, http://www.brewerycreek.com/

Bianchigirll 06-11-12 05:11 PM

Sounds like fun I wish I could make it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bianchi-Maste...Yyg~~60_58.JPG


I didn't think you could actually climb 12,000 in Wi in only 200K

JohnDThompson 06-11-12 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 14342743)
Sounds like fun I wish I could make it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bianchi-Maste...Yyg~~60_58.JPG


I didn't think you could actually climb 12,000 in Wi in only 200K

Sure; the "driftless area" where the Dairyland Dare takes place is quite hilly -- not miles and miles of climbing with hundreds or thousands of feet of elevation gain, but pretty much constant up and down. Very scenic, also.

That picture makes me think of the "Don Q Inn" in Dodgeville: http://www.donqinn.net/rooms.asp

iab 06-11-12 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 14342743)


I didn't think you could actually climb 12,000 in Wi in only 200K

The Driftless Area is a region where the last glacier missed. Elevation gains aren't huge, only 300-500 feet. But when they happen in the course of a a kilometer or so, the 10-20% gradients give you a good work out.

rhm 06-11-12 05:54 PM

Okay, I'll see your challenge and offer up a challenge of my own... not to be seen as an ultimatum, you understand.

If someone offers me a ride to and from, or even just offers to accompany me on the Greyhound Bus, I will come with my 1954 Drysdale running a Simplex Tour-de-France derailleur on a 46 T chain ring and a 14-24 freewheel, and I will ride that 200k with you. And I will not whine about the hills. I like hills. Some of my best friends are hills.

If not, well, you're on your own, iab.

photogravity 06-11-12 06:07 PM

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August?
 
^ I like hills too. Downhills!! :p

Bianchigirll 06-11-12 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 14342817)
Sure; the "driftless area" where the Dairyland Dare takes place is quite hilly -- not miles and miles of climbing with hundreds or thousands of feet of elevation gain, but pretty much constant up and down. Very scenic, also.

That picture makes me think of the "Don Q Inn" in Dodgeville: http://www.donqinn.net/rooms.asp

That place looks decadant!


Originally Posted by iab (Post 14342827)
The Driftless Area is a region where the last glacier missed. Elevation gains aren't huge, only 300-500 feet. But when they happen in the course of a a kilometer or so, the 10-20% gradients give you a good work out.

I C. Is that down near Prairie Do Chicken? I don't get that way often mostly I run up to De Pere or through the Dells to Minn.

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 14342906)
Okay, I'll see your challenge and offer up a challenge of my own... not to be seen as an ultimatum, you understand.

If someone offers me a ride to and from, or even just offers to accompany me on the Greyhound Bus, I will come with my 1954 Drysdale running a Simplex Tour-de-France derailleur on a 46 T chain ring and a 14-24 freewheel, and I will ride that 200k with you. And I will not whine about the hills. I like hills. Some of my best friends are hills.

If not, well, you're on your own, iab.

It is only about 900 - 1000 mile ride and would be a great warm up.

rhm 06-11-12 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 14342980)
It is only about 900 - 1000 mile ride and would be a great warm up.

Uh, is there an emoticon for "raspberry"?

treebound 06-11-12 06:30 PM

When does this ride fill up?
I'll give it some thought, but the way this season is shaping up it doesn't look good. I have dropped 16 pounds, but I'd want 1,000 miles on my legs before attempting a 200k in that region.

Off to check the link to see when it's projected to fill.

iab 06-11-12 06:32 PM


Originally Posted by rhm (Post 14342906)
Okay, I'll see your challenge and offer up a challenge of my own... not to be seen as an ultimatum, you understand.

If someone offers me a ride to and from, or even just offers to accompany me on the Greyhound Bus, I will come with my 1954 Drysdale running a Simplex Tour-de-France derailleur on a 46 T chain ring and a 14-24 freewheel, and I will ride that 200k with you. And I will not whine about the hills. I like hills. Some of my best friends are hills.

If not, well, you're on your own, iab.

Well if you show up with the 46, I'll rock the 49.

As for hills, south of the cheddar curtain here, it is flat as a pancake. I can't make friends. :(

iab 06-11-12 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by treebound (Post 14343057)
When does this ride fill up?
I'll give it some thought, but the way this season is shaping up it doesn't look good. I have dropped 16 pounds, but I'd want 1,000 miles on my legs before attempting a 200k in that region.

Off to check the link to see when it's projected to fill.

I don't think I have ever seen this one fill.

Which is surprising because it is such a better ride over the HHH, which typically fills in a couple of hours.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.