Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 11-06-17, 07:59 PM
  #5751  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,484

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,102 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hey folks--

Haven't been posting much lately. I did sorta finish my '88 MB/2 commuter project, after like 2 1/2 years. I moved some stuff to Google Photos, and I suppose I'll just put a link to the album here, because I have all the pics there. I hope it works, and I hope you enjoy looking at my project, such as it is.

I had fun with it. Did sandblasting myself, and made a headset spacer. Did a couple (beginner) leather projects, making my own top tube and chainstay protector. I used a tall Technomic to get the bars where I wanted, so I needed the top tube protector to be safe. Used a couple decals I bought from JR at VeloCals, and also made my own vinyl cut decal in a makerspace at school. For where I live, this might be the perfect all-rounder-- good for commuting, gravel-gliding, and general good times. I'll add some fenders at some point. I have a nice velo-orange 650B set I could easily re-radius to 26".

Thanks to @malcala622 for the SCR5 levers, @jeirvine for scoring the fenders for me at the yard sale, and @RobbieTunes for the front derailleur (although none may remember at this point, this project has taken awhile!). Other than that, this wasn't a 'fussy' build. Just parts-bin stuff.

Thanks for looking, and I hope the album link works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDAIyNhATgwuzGlR2
Nice job on the MB-2. My son has an MB-2 at college that will likely need a similar restoration by the time he graduates. Luckily it is black, so the paint chips don't show as much.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 08:13 PM
  #5752  
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 4,145

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 768 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Haven't been posting much lately. I did sorta finish my '88 MB/2 commuter project, after like 2 1/2 years. I moved some stuff to Google Photos, and I suppose I'll just put a link to the album here, because I have all the pics there. I hope it works, and I hope you enjoy looking at my project, such as it is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDAIyNhATgwuzGlR2
Stunning! I enjoyed the pictures and the presentation. Great work.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 11:21 AM
  #5753  
Junior Member
 
vp1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 135
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hey folks--

Haven't been posting much lately. I did sorta finish my '88 MB/2 commuter project, after like 2 1/2 years. I moved some stuff to Google Photos, and I suppose I'll just put a link to the album here, because I have all the pics there. I hope it works, and I hope you enjoy looking at my project, such as it is.

I had fun with it. Did sandblasting myself, and made a headset spacer. Did a couple (beginner) leather projects, making my own top tube and chainstay protector. I used a tall Technomic to get the bars where I wanted, so I needed the top tube protector to be safe. Used a couple decals I bought from JR at VeloCals, and also made my own vinyl cut decal in a makerspace at school. For where I live, this might be the perfect all-rounder-- good for commuting, gravel-gliding, and general good times. I'll add some fenders at some point. I have a nice velo-orange 650B set I could easily re-radius to 26".

Thanks to @malcala622 for the SCR5 levers, @jeirvine for scoring the fenders for me at the yard sale, and @RobbieTunes for the front derailleur (although none may remember at this point, this project has taken awhile!). Other than that, this wasn't a 'fussy' build. Just parts-bin stuff.

Thanks for looking, and I hope the album link works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDAIyNhATgwuzGlR2
Lush! Beautiful job!
vp1337 is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 02:21 PM
  #5754  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,487
Liked 763 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hey folks--

Haven't been posting much lately. I did sorta finish my '88 MB/2 commuter project, after like 2 1/2 years. I moved some stuff to Google Photos, and I suppose I'll just put a link to the album here, because I have all the pics there. I hope it works, and I hope you enjoy looking at my project, such as it is.

I had fun with it. Did sandblasting myself, and made a headset spacer. Did a couple (beginner) leather projects, making my own top tube and chainstay protector. I used a tall Technomic to get the bars where I wanted, so I needed the top tube protector to be safe. Used a couple decals I bought from JR at VeloCals, and also made my own vinyl cut decal in a makerspace at school. For where I live, this might be the perfect all-rounder-- good for commuting, gravel-gliding, and general good times. I'll add some fenders at some point. I have a nice velo-orange 650B set I could easily re-radius to 26".

Thanks to @malcala622 for the SCR5 levers, @jeirvine for scoring the fenders for me at the yard sale, and @RobbieTunes for the front derailleur (although none may remember at this point, this project has taken awhile!). Other than that, this wasn't a 'fussy' build. Just parts-bin stuff.

Thanks for looking, and I hope the album link works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDAIyNhATgwuzGlR2

I want you to rebuild my 80s mtb...Sweet bike!
Piff is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 03:39 PM
  #5755  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,548

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
1987 Renegade Ranger (Raleigh Canada)

This lugged steel 23" framed MTB was found at a yard sale and hung around for a while as a utility bike. In order to use a growing list of 26" wheel bike parts, I decided to make it into a "vintage" gravel bike. It's quick and fun to ride and sees lots of action. Sumo wheels, Sakae CX crankset, Nishiki touring bars, original canti's, Sunlite stem and 26X1.5 Pasela PTs (folding bead) Giant flat pedals etc. The blue / yellow color scheme is also a little out there for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02211small1200.jpg (612.9 KB, 864 views)
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 05:05 PM
  #5756  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 655
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
This lugged steel 23" framed MTB was found at a yard sale and hung around for a while as a utility bike. !
That looks great. I always thought this kind of bike might be the perfect chance to use stem shifters. You'll have to let us know if you love 'em, hate 'em, or meh...something in between. Nice job! Cool blue bikes on this page!
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 05:46 PM
  #5757  
Member
 
tcaraway1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
This lugged steel 23" framed MTB was found at a yard sale and hung around for a while as a utility bike. In order to use a growing list of 26" wheel bike parts, I decided to make it into a "vintage" gravel bike. It's quick and fun to ride and sees lots of action. Sumo wheels, Sakae CX crankset, Nishiki touring bars, original canti's, Sunlite stem and 26X1.5 Pasela PTs (folding bead) Giant flat pedals etc. The blue / yellow color scheme is also a little out there for me!
I really like this. The world needs more funky bikes.
tcaraway1 is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 06:20 PM
  #5758  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 655
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Not quite drops...

Hope you folks will indulge me this one. 1988 Specialized Hardrock Comp. Nuttin' special(ized) really. But, my wife needed a bike with fenders, for commuting, gravel, light singletrack, etc. She didn't like the feel of drop bars, and opted for Soma Sparrows. So, not quite a drop bar conversion, but just a... conversion. A photo first as found, then after the work. She likes it!

Album with a few more and bigger pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fclFoAEkEsDeNoem2

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hardrockb4.jpg (126.3 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg
hardrock.jpg (93.2 KB, 845 views)
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 06:31 PM
  #5759  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,548

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
That looks great. I always thought this kind of bike might be the perfect chance to use stem shifters. You'll have to let us know if you love 'em, hate 'em, or meh...something in between. Nice job! Cool blue bikes on this page!
The stem shifters work perfectly on this type of bike! No reaching down, you can keep your head up on your trail/path/road. The same can be said for the "safety levers" when well adjusted. Stem shifters are also preferred by me (and easy to find) for upright conversions of vintage road bikes to city bikes. The "bike snob racer" aversion to stemmies is not warranted IMHO. By the way, LOVE your Bridgestone rebuild!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02225.jpg (667.5 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC022241600.jpg (353.9 KB, 846 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC022271600.jpg (429.6 KB, 851 views)
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 07:02 PM
  #5760  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bloomington/Normal IL
Posts: 1,064
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
The stem shifters work perfectly on this type of bike! No reaching down, you can keep your head up on your trail/path/road. The same can be said for the "safety levers" when well adjusted. Stem shifters are also preferred by me (and easy to find) for upright conversions of vintage road bikes to city bikes. The "bike snob racer" aversion to stemmies is not warranted IMHO. By the way, LOVE your Bridgestone rebuild!
Great photos and nice close ups.

Like your conversion a lot.

Looks like a lot of FUN, Good Job
OTS is offline  
Old 11-09-17, 02:48 PM
  #5761  
High Plains Luddite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 681

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Nice bikes, gents!

As for me, I just stumbled upon some useful parts. Another project begins!

Squeeze is offline  
Old 11-09-17, 05:22 PM
  #5762  
Thrifty Bill
Thread Starter
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,556

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
That looks great. I always thought this kind of bike might be the perfect chance to use stem shifters. You'll have to let us know if you love 'em, hate 'em, or meh...something in between. Nice job! Cool blue bikes on this page!
Stem shifters make a great application on a drop bar MTB conversion IMHO. There are even some indexed ones out there if you want to go that route.

I can tell you, when I have built one up for a recreational rider, they always prefer stem shifters over bar ends.

An added benefit is stem shifters can be found at really low prices. Meanwhile, bar ends are on the expensive side.
__________________
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 11-09-17, 06:22 PM
  #5763  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 655
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
An added benefit is stem shifters can be found at really low prices. Meanwhile, bar ends are on the expensive side.
Very true.
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 11-09-17, 07:08 PM
  #5764  
Senior Member
 
DEW21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Motor City
Posts: 262

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hope you folks will indulge me this one. 1988 Specialized Hardrock Comp. Nuttin' special(ized) really. But, my wife needed a bike with fenders, for commuting, gravel, light singletrack, etc. She didn't like the feel of drop bars, and opted for Soma Sparrows. So, not quite a drop bar conversion, but just a... conversion. A photo first as found, then after the work. She likes it!

Album with a few more and bigger pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fclFoAEkEsDeNoem2

Thanks for looking!
Very Cool, I'm in the middle of a Hardrock restoration myself. Just love the way the bike rides also!
DEW21 is offline  
Old 11-10-17, 05:42 AM
  #5765  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,498
Liked 3,011 Times in 1,852 Posts
My first mtb drop bar conversion had stem shifters and Scott Drop In bars. Once I got used to the had position, I liked the in part of the bars when I was shifting a lot because it put my hands right next to the shifters.
himespau is offline  
Old 11-10-17, 07:39 AM
  #5766  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,484

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,102 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Nice bikes, gents!

As for me, I just stumbled upon some useful parts. Another project begins!

That is how I got mine, except they were all assembled on the bar, along with the stem and bar tape. $5 swap meet find, how could I say no? Have fun!
Pompiere is offline  
Old 11-12-17, 03:06 PM
  #5767  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Kuwahara Sierra XT. This is my fourth or fifth attempt at a drop bar conversion. This one's a keeper.

Bone Machine is offline  
Old 11-12-17, 04:32 PM
  #5768  
Eccentric Old Man
 
eom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BelleVegas, IL
Posts: 719

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Likes: 0
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
[QUOTE=Bone Machine;19988311]Kuwahara Sierra XT. This is my fourth or fifth attempt at a drop bar conversion. This one's a keeper.

That is very nice!
__________________
email:
bikeforums@protonmail.com


eom is offline  
Old 11-12-17, 05:22 PM
  #5769  
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,707
Liked 661 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
How do you guys feel about composite carbon for these bikes? Think it could hold a touring load and singletrack terrain?

Looking at a '93 Trek 8700 on Craigslist.
I feel better about an old monocoque frame than a bonded one.
TenGrainBread is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 12:45 PM
  #5770  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Hey folks--

Haven't been posting much lately. I did sorta finish my '88 MB/2 commuter project, after like 2 1/2 years. I moved some stuff to Google Photos, and I suppose I'll just put a link to the album here, because I have all the pics there. I hope it works, and I hope you enjoy looking at my project, such as it is.

I had fun with it. Did sandblasting myself, and made a headset spacer. Did a couple (beginner) leather projects, making my own top tube and chainstay protector. I used a tall Technomic to get the bars where I wanted, so I needed the top tube protector to be safe. Used a couple decals I bought from JR at VeloCals, and also made my own vinyl cut decal in a makerspace at school. For where I live, this might be the perfect all-rounder-- good for commuting, gravel-gliding, and general good times. I'll add some fenders at some point. I have a nice velo-orange 650B set I could easily re-radius to 26".

Thanks to @malcala622 for the SCR5 levers, @jeirvine for scoring the fenders for me at the yard sale, and @RobbieTunes for the front derailleur (although none may remember at this point, this project has taken awhile!). Other than that, this wasn't a 'fussy' build. Just parts-bin stuff.

Thanks for looking, and I hope the album link works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDAIyNhATgwuzGlR2

Very nice! I'll have to post some updated pics of my 1990 MB-2 soon.
superstring is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 01:05 PM
  #5771  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 655
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superstring
Very nice! I'll have to post some updated pics of my 1990 MB-2 soon.
Awesome...I'd love to see it. Is it the Enamel Blue? I always loved that color.
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 01:50 PM
  #5772  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Awesome...I'd love to see it. Is it the Enamel Blue? I always loved that color.
No, I had it re-sprayed. Here's a pic from earlier this year. I've made a few changes since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Project Bike.jpg (210.7 KB, 1076 views)
superstring is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 02:16 PM
  #5773  
Senior Member
 
simmonsgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC High Country
Posts: 655
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superstring
No, I had it re-sprayed. Here's a pic from earlier this year. I've made a few changes since then.
Oh yeah! I remember that bike-- with the Kelly Take-Offs. Love it.
simmonsgc is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 02:24 PM
  #5774  
High Plains Luddite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 681

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
How do you guys feel about composite carbon for these bikes? Think it could hold a touring load and singletrack terrain?

Looking at a '93 Trek 8700 on Craigslist.
I don't know anything about carbon bikes other than what people on this forum say (they asplode, for example ), but here's something cool on the Denver craigslist right now.

(not my bike, nor am I shilling for the seller)

Cyclocross or Gravel bike. TREK Carbon 7900 MultiTRACK bicycle 53-54cm - $250

Squeeze is offline  
Old 11-13-17, 03:24 PM
  #5775  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,548

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
@Bone Machine , Fine looking Kuwahara and nicely equipped with rack and mudguards. Good job!
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.