Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate RIH source

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate RIH source

Old 10-13-21, 07:51 PM
  #501  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Welcome, velology ! Posting pictures in forum posts is allowed only once you have a post count of 10. Sorry about that, but this is an anti-spam measure that seems to serve us well. In the meantime you can upload pictures to your own album (see "Gallery") which we will be able to see and re-post here.

The "71" on the seat tube looks to be the seat tube angle, which is often stamped on the seat lug, and not a serial number. Frames from the Amsterdam shop and from the Fongers factory both have their serial numbers stamped on the lower head tube lug, so we can eliminate those. Cové stamped their numbers on the BB shell, but "4510" seems to be short of one or two digits for a Cové serial number.

Anyway, pictures would help a lot to determine what you have. Looking forward to those!
Sorry. Just figured out the gallery! Will try to see if I can figure that out and get pictures to you all. Cheers!
velology is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 09:25 PM
  #502  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Welcome, velology ! Posting pictures in forum posts is allowed only once you have a post count of 10. Sorry about that, but this is an anti-spam measure that seems to serve us well. In the meantime you can upload pictures to your own album (see "Gallery") which we will be able to see and re-post here.

The "71" on the seat tube looks to be the seat tube angle, which is often stamped on the seat lug, and not a serial number. Frames from the Amsterdam shop and from the Fongers factory both have their serial numbers stamped on the lower head tube lug, so we can eliminate those. Cové stamped their numbers on the BB shell, but "4510" seems to be short of one or two digits for a Cové serial number.

Anyway, pictures would help a lot to determine what you have. Looking forward to those!
Hi Again,

I tried to post a gallery titles "Mystery RIH" but I'm not sure if it worked. I think I might have misunderstood the function of the gallery. Apologies if my fumbling is upsetting any rules.

Cheers,

Velology
velology is offline  
Old 10-14-21, 01:16 AM
  #503  
fabiofarelli
Senior Member
 
fabiofarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 220

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by velology View Post
Because it has that decal on it under the gloss coat.
It has a Cové decal? That's new for me.
Does it look a bit like this one?

fabiofarelli is offline  
Old 10-14-21, 03:00 AM
  #504  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,746

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 866 Posts
Found these in the Gallery. Assuming these are yours, velology , but I see no user name attached, so let me know if I'm wrong.











__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out








non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-14-21, 03:30 AM
  #505  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,746

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 866 Posts
That is a mid-seventies Cové-built RIH. One of the early ones. A touring model that would evolve into the "Speciaal" model a few years later. I found another one on the web, a 1974 model according to the seller. Check it out: RIH Amsterdam 1974.

This picture is borrowed from that site:

__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out









Last edited by non-fixie; 10-14-21 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-15-21, 12:01 AM
  #506  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
That is a mid-seventies Cové-built RIH. One of the early ones. A touring model that would evolve into the "Speciaal" model a few years later. I found another one on the web, a 1974 model according to the seller. Check it out:

This picture is borrowed from that site:
Hi Non-fixe,

Thanks so much for your help on this. I would have said something before but I'd reached my 24-hour posting quota. Yes, the gallery you point out was posted by me. I couldn't discern an obvious step to attach my username to it.

Just looking at the example model that you pointed to on the Dutch World Bikes site, I would presume looking at some of its features and fittings on that it would likely be a few years older? Its seat and the front sprocket at the very least seem a bit more modern. Regardless, I know that I would be very surprised to see another RIH of its kind in Australia - they seem hard enough to find in Europe. Believe it or not, before it found its way to me, it was used as an errand bike for a local pub. They called their "fixe". I just don't want to give it back to the person who is currently caring for it.

Do you have any idea what sort of value that collectors would place on a bike like this? I note that the site you pointed me to quotes "price on request". I'm far more interested in preservation than profit but it might help my case in preserving this bike. I am just amazed how well it still shifts after nearly fifty years. It's clearly a very high quality bike with equally strong running gear. Am I getting too attached?

Cheers,

Velo

Last edited by velology; 10-15-21 at 03:03 AM.
velology is offline  
Old 10-15-21, 05:42 AM
  #507  
fabiofarelli
Senior Member
 
fabiofarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 220

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by velology View Post
Do you have any idea what sort of value that collectors would place on a bike like this?
My son bought some years ago a similar bike as yours with flat bar for €100, dis some work on it, rode it for a few years and sold it for €175. In the Netherlands.
fabiofarelli is offline  
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-15-21, 07:49 AM
  #508  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli View Post
My son bought some years ago a similar bike as yours with flat bar for €100, dis some work on it, rode it for a few years and sold it for €175. In the Netherlands.
Thanks Fabio,

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It's so very difficult to translate the value proposition to 14,000km away in Australia. I can't calculate the market here. I don't even think there can be a market here because the bike is so unique here. I just have a very strong feeling that the bike needs to be preserved... at least here. You'd be amazed. At the local major cycling park if I take my normal racer around ppl just pass by and keep talking about their most recent KPIs or some such rubbish. When I take this bike around they slow down and look at me and say hello. I'm not kidding.

Thanks Again,

Velo
velology is offline  
Likes For velology:
Old 10-15-21, 08:21 AM
  #509  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,746

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 866 Posts
It is not a collector's item, at least not in the NL. I think Farelli jr. did very well getting €175 for it. YMMV down under, though. I've seen Americans go all gaga over a very mundane Dutch bike that wouldn't fetch €20 over here.

Its true value lies in it being a very nice, well-built vintage touring bike / Sunday cruiser for its owner. Both to ride and to look at. Like you have already noticed, it makes people happy. I like it, and if it were mine I'd probably keep it close to the way it is now. Service & polish it, put you favorite saddle on it and enjoy.
__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out








non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-15-21, 08:39 AM
  #510  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
It is not a collector's item, at least not in the NL. I think Farelli jr. did very well getting €175 for it. YMMV down under, though. I've seen Americans go all gaga over a very mundane Dutch bike that wouldn't fetch €20 over here.

Its true value lies in it being a very nice, well-built vintage touring bike / Sunday cruiser for its owner. Both to ride and to look at. Like you have already noticed, it makes people happy. I like it, and if it were mine I'd probably keep it close to the way it is now. Service & polish it, put you favorite saddle on it and enjoy.
Thanks for responding non-fixie. I agree but do have to wonder why the site you pointed me at is specifying the price as "price on request". But in any case it's impossible to know the value in Australia. I've posted it on Australian cycling forums (with no intention to sell) so I'm interested to see what local cyclists think. I'm slightly in love with it just because there's not much like this out here. We have our share of the usual good bikes but not vintage in this class much. Carl Wilson had a run here. I'm fond of my Giant's because I think they have a good build quality. I rode BMX and had a Redline that was the envy of the neighbourhood. But this is something else entirely. Not to you guys in Europe but out here this bike to me is just a peach.

Keep in touch
velology is offline  
Old 10-15-21, 09:07 AM
  #511  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,746

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by velology View Post
(...) wonder why the site you pointed me at is specifying the price as "price on request" (...)
That is because they offer that bike in an "electrified" version by replacing the rear wheel with a Zehus GEN2 wheel. Expect that price to be well north of €1,000.
__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out









Last edited by non-fixie; 10-15-21 at 09:07 AM. Reason: oops
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-15-21, 09:19 AM
  #512  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
That is because they offer that bike in an "electrified" version by replacing the rear wheel with a GEN2 wheel.
Ahhh. I don't quite understand the point of e-bikes. It's not really cycling it's...well... sitting. *shrug*
velology is offline  
Old 10-15-21, 09:55 AM
  #513  
velology
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
It is not a collector's item....I've seen Americans go all gaga over a very mundane Dutch bike that wouldn't fetch €20 over here.
....
Hi Non-Fixie,

I was wondering which market you witnessed this. Not because I intend to sell. I'm just curious about who is watching these bikes.
velology is offline  
Old 10-15-21, 10:40 AM
  #514  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,746

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by velology View Post
Hi Non-Fixie,

I was wondering which market you witnessed this. Not because I intend to sell. I'm just curious about who is watching these bikes.
I remember a forum discussion - here or elsewhere - about a rather humdrum chainstore ladies bike. Can't seem to find the discussion again, but I did find the bike in question (or a very similar one) here. Looks to be destined for the same fate as the red RIH above: electrification. (Which, IMO, is a lot better than it being scrapped and recycled into a KIA.)
__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out








non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sumgy
Classic & Vintage
0
08-29-19 07:25 PM
miamibeachcg
Classic & Vintage
10
03-01-19 02:34 PM
purebikes
Classic & Vintage
3
05-22-12 03:57 PM
speedevil
Classic & Vintage
0
11-20-11 07:40 PM
matimeo
Classic & Vintage
9
07-26-10 05:34 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.