Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

IT WORKS! Campagnolo/Shimano 9 speed content

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

IT WORKS! Campagnolo/Shimano 9 speed content

Old 10-08-12, 10:30 PM
  #1  
RoboIsGod
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RoboIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 771

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Altamira 1.0//2006 CAAD8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IT WORKS! Campagnolo/Shimano 9 speed content

9 speed is vintage right?

Probably not, but I'm not sure where else to post this other than with fellow Campy-philes and not-so-modern bicycle component enthusiasts.

I've been working on my Campagnolo Chorus 9-speed equipped '95 De Rosa Primato recently and have been frustrated with the lack of decent Campy 9 speed cassette choices. Seeing as 9 speed Shimano cassettes are abundant and will fit my 3+ sets of Shimano wheelsets, I decided to see how well my Campy drivetrain would index a Shimano 9-speed cassette. Well let me tell you, IT WORKS! And the best part of it is that it works BETTER than the damn Campy Cassette! With the Campy cassette I was getting way more chatter and jumpy shifts than I care for. The Shimano cassette, a lowly 105 level used cassette, shifted smooth and quiet!

Now to find an appropriate wheelset for my De Rosa. The Campy wheels I have for it are Chorus hubs laced to Open Pro's with double butted spokes. The wheels have probably less than 1000 miles on them and are in great condition (hub spins smooth and rims are true). If anyone would be interested in trading me a comparable set of Shimano wheels, let me know!
RoboIsGod is offline  
Old 10-08-12, 11:09 PM
  #2  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 1,798

Bikes: Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to know - THANKS
zandoval is offline  
Old 10-08-12, 11:23 PM
  #3  
sjpitts 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 563

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, I sent you a PM with some trade possibilities.

Second, my wife's Lemond is set up with campy 10 speed shifters and 9 speed shimano everything else. Works great with hubub cable routing.

sjpitts is offline  
Old 10-08-12, 11:30 PM
  #4  
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member
 
4Rings6Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston Burbs
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjpitts View Post
First, I sent you a PM with some trade possibilities.

Second, my wife's Lemond is set up with campy 10 speed shifters and 9 speed shimano everything else. Works great with hubub cable routing.

]
This is well-documented as working pretty well, as is Campy 10 shifters to Shimano 8 everything else with no hubub.

Simply using the 9s cassettes/wheelsets interchangeably is new to me...I would love to hear more people corroborate this (not that I don't trust the OP).
4Rings6Stars is offline  
Old 10-08-12, 11:41 PM
  #5  
RoboIsGod
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RoboIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 771

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Altamira 1.0//2006 CAAD8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
This is well-documented as working pretty well, as is Campy 10 shifters to Shimano 8 everything else with no hubub.

Simply using the 9s cassettes/wheelsets interchangeably is new to me...I would love to hear more people corroborate this (not that I don't trust the OP).
I plan on throwing an Ultegra 9-speed cassette on one of my race wheelsets and doing some extensive testing. I will certainly report back with results.

Worth noting is that my original test was done in-stand only. But also worth noting is that I did not have to adjust limit screws or cable tension. It shifted perfectly, and like I said, smoother than the Campy cassette.
RoboIsGod is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 06:13 AM
  #6  
gioscinelli 
Senior Member
 
gioscinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,243

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had 10 speed SRAM PG 1070, working with my Campy Record and Chorus newer carbon brifter set up!
__________________
Moots VaMoots 2012-Peugeot Mixte 1974-Peugeot Mixte 1973
gioscinelli is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 06:20 AM
  #7  
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You guys are bound for a dark place in Hades! Not even Pastor bob could help you for mixing shimano and campy!
jr59 is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 06:27 AM
  #8  
jeirvine 
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,626

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 134 Posts
What RD are you using? A Shimano RD with a centeron top pulley can be fairly forgiving. I have a Campy Veloce RD set up with a centeron pulley that works great for an 8sp Ergo shifting a 7sp Shimano cluster setup (but that is known a direct match.)
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 06:30 AM
  #9  
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training
 
20grit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rural Retreat, VA
Posts: 1,962

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
This is well-documented as working pretty well, as is Campy 10 shifters to Shimano 8 everything else with no hubub.

Simply using the 9s cassettes/wheelsets interchangeably is new to me...I would love to hear more people corroborate this (not that I don't trust the OP).

I've been running the 10 on 9 method, and recently discovered it can have issues if a cable starts to slip. I'm unable to shift into cogs 2 and 3 on the cassette now. Gotta re-tighten everything I guess. So, it's not without flaws.
20grit is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 06:52 AM
  #10  
RubberLegs
Senior Member
 
RubberLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 1,731

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's not 25 yr old Suntour, it's too new for me! ;-) I have YET to even TRY anything Campy....pretty rich! Though I am sniping at a Torpado Beta online...I THINK that's Italian! Might not get along with the rest of my vintage Suntour/Shimano herd....or is it flock....gaggle?!?
RubberLegs is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 08:46 AM
  #11  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Posts: 11,434

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
You guys are bound for a dark place in Hades! Not even Pastor bob could help you for mixing shimano and campy!
Agggh!!!!!!



I realize the picture does not fully ID this hodgepodge of componentry: Working from the back towards the middle:

Suntour Winner 7 speed freewheel
Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed RD
Campagnolo Mirage 9 speed triple crankset
Shimano Sora 7 speed FD.
It was all shifted by 7 speed Shimano Sora brifters.

All this mess was stripped off this year and the bike was rebuilt with late '80s and early '90s Shimano 105 gear and a Sachs 7 speed freewheel.

__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 08:58 AM
  #12  
RubberLegs
Senior Member
 
RubberLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 1,731

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hows THIS for functionally dysfunctional? Austro Daimler with a Shimano Freewheel, Suntour Cyclone RD, Huret FD, Stronglight Crankset, Shimano Pedals, GB- Stem, Weinmann Brakes, Avocet Hubs/Rigida Rims, and yet, they all seem to work together....it IS pre-indexing....THERE is where trouble REALLY started!
RubberLegs is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 09:00 AM
  #13  
ColonelJLloyd 
Senior Member
 
ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 8,382
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod View Post
Worth noting is that my original test was done in-stand only. But also worth noting is that I did not have to adjust limit screws or cable tension. It shifted perfectly, and like I said, smoother than the Campy cassette.
Doubtlessly due to the Hyperglide cogs. I'd wait to see how it performs on the road.
__________________
Bikes on Flickr
I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com
ColonelJLloyd is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 09:26 AM
  #14  
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
using the 9s cassettes/wheelsets interchangeably is new to me...I would love to hear more people corroborate this (not that I don't trust the OP).
I have been using Zondas with a 9-speed Record cassette on my Ciocc which has a 9-speed 105 group and have had no problems. I have a set of older Chris King hubs (they only started to make Campy compatible hubs about a year ago) with a 9-speed Ultegra cassette on my Merckx which has a 9-speed Veloce group on it without a hiccup too.

The spacing between the cogs is virtually the same for each company. 10 speed requires a shiftmate, I believe Jtek makes a couple of different models.
jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 09:48 AM
  #15  
orangeology 
category ii hoarder
 
orangeology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC+NNJ
Posts: 1,269

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
sorry a newbie has gotten confused here.

are we talking about
NEWER index shifters + Old friction FD/RD + Newer cassette sorta compatibility here or something else too?

been actually wondering about this, hence very much intrigued.
just wanna know if i am understanding correctly.
there seem slightly different executions/concepts mixed up here, if i am not mistaken?


thanks
orangeology is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 01:05 PM
  #16  
kingfishr
Senior Member
 
kingfishr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 323

Bikes: Ridley Noah, Trek Emonda, Colnago C59, Colnago Master, 1980 Colnago Super, Wilier Blade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measure 2mm difference in the width of the my Campy and Shimano 9 speed cassettes, although mine are from 2000, are the earlier cassettes closer?
kingfishr is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 01:15 PM
  #17  
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Agggh!!!!!!



I realize the picture does not fully ID this hodgepodge of componentry: Working from the back towards the middle:

Suntour Winner 7 speed freewheel
Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed RD
Campagnolo Mirage 9 speed triple crankset
Shimano Sora 7 speed FD.
It was all shifted by 7 speed Shimano Sora brifters.

All this mess was stripped off this year and the bike was rebuilt with late '80s and early '90s Shimano 105 gear and a Sachs 7 speed freewheel.

In my best Ricky Ricardo voice; " you got some 'splainin' to do!
jr59 is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 01:29 PM
  #18  
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.
 
Puget Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can attest that a campy 9s drivetrain with shimano 9 wheels shifts perfectly fine on the road. However, when you get to wide ranges (>28T), the shifting starts to skip.

I've done it a number of times and have also done some of the hubub combos.
Puget Pounder is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 02:19 PM
  #19  
jeirvine 
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,626

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology View Post
sorry a newbie has gotten confused here.

are we talking about
NEWER index shifters + Old friction FD/RD + Newer cassette sorta compatibility here or something else too?

been actually wondering about this, hence very much intrigued.
just wanna know if i am understanding correctly.
there seem slightly different executions/concepts mixed up here, if i am not mistaken?


thanks
Right about now is when someone posts a link to this: https://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 which is a great start if you haven't seen it. I assume the OP has an indexed 9-speed Chorus campy Ergo setup that is indexing ok with a 9-speed Shimano cassette, though it's not clear with what RD.
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 03:19 PM
  #20  
orangeology 
category ii hoarder
 
orangeology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC+NNJ
Posts: 1,269

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine View Post
Right about now is when someone posts a link to this: https://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 which is a great start if you haven't seen it. I assume the OP has an indexed 9-speed Chorus campy Ergo setup that is indexing ok with a 9-speed Shimano cassette, though it's not clear with what RD.
thanks for the clarification, @jeirvine.
first i thought it was about Shimano — Campy compatibility,
than got confused by different setups in the comments etc.
and thought it was possibly touching my long-time question around
"compatibility between 'indexed' shifters — 'friction' mechs".

and thanks for the link!

Last edited by orangeology; 10-09-12 at 03:20 PM. Reason: edit
orangeology is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 03:28 PM
  #21  
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The daVinci-modified SRAM rear derailleur can be used to pair Campy 10s shifters with Shimano or SRAM 9s cassettes. Centaur Ergopowers can be had cheaply if purchased from the UK, and 9s chains/cassettes last a very long time. Both my rides are equipped this way, and they shift great.
MileHighMark is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 05:16 PM
  #22  
roadrunner2012
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
9s Campy compatible cassettes are under $30 from the UK. Why muck around?
roadrunner2012 is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 05:45 PM
  #23  
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.
 
Puget Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner2012 View Post
9s Campy compatible cassettes are under $30 from the UK. Why muck around?
Wheel swaps, cassette replacements, Hub/freehub replacements, cost of true campy hubs can be prohibitive, more options in Shimano/SRAM to name a few.

Don't get me wrong, I love campy stuff and feel wrong when campy and shimano are mixed together.
Puget Pounder is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 07:43 PM
  #24  
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 4,915

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
I have been using Zondas with a 9-speed Record cassette on my Ciocc which has a 9-speed 105 group and have had no problems. I have a set of older Chris King hubs (they only started to make Campy compatible hubs about a year ago) with a 9-speed Ultegra cassette on my Merckx which has a 9-speed Veloce group on it without a hiccup too.

The spacing between the cogs is virtually the same for each company. 10 speed requires a shiftmate, I believe Jtek makes a couple of different models.
Exactly.

I've been saying this since I started posting here. The last time I brought this up, I was asked to go out to the garage to count cogs.

My commuting srimanglo bastard (9s veloce ergos and RD, 10s veloce FD, shimano 10 speed compact cranks, sram 970 cassette and chain, wheels lights by WalMart)-



https://i.imgur.com/Ui3Wc.jpg
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 09:59 PM
  #25  
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.
 
Puget Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post
Exactly.

I've been saying this since I started posting here. The last time I brought this up, I was asked to go out to the garage to count cogs.

My commuting srimanglo bastard (9s veloce ergos and RD, 10s veloce FD, shimano 10 speed compact cranks, sram 970 cassette and chain, wheels lights by WalMart)-


https://i.imgur.com/Ui3Wc.jpg
i know how you feel. I've been saying this too, but no one acknowledges it either!
Puget Pounder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.