Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Nuovo Mexico

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Nuovo Mexico

Old 06-08-13, 06:56 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Nuovo Mexico

Hi guys,

I have a question. I have bought on Ebay the following Colnago Nuovo Mexico bike but now I start to have doubts that it is what it claims it is. I would like to have your opinion.

https://jpegbay.com/gallery/002600510-14.html

Thanks,
Adrian
anascu is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:00 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to add that the guy selling it has repainted it. The decals are not originals.
anascu is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:13 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,931

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 126 Posts
I reckon it is a Nuovo Mexico - sloping fork crown, crimped tubing. Interesting brake cable stops under the top tube. I wonder if it is an 83 /84 model?
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:17 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It looks right to me.

I believe that some Mexico's had a chrome fork and seat stays, but I think that was dependent upon year. Decals and panto all look good to. Nice re-spray on yours...
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:23 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I reckon it is a Nuovo Mexico - sloping fork crown, crimped tubing. Interesting brake cable stops under the top tube. I wonder if it is an 83 /84 model?
Year sounds very close.

Pretty frameset.

Maybe about the same year as Casey's?

@op. Please tell us about your build plans with this pretty Colnago.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:25 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
It looks right to me.

I believe that some Mexico's had a chrome fork and seat stays, but I think that was dependent upon year. Decals and panto all look good to. Nice re-spray on yours...
I like the respray as well. Should be a looker upon completion, dontcha' think guys?
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:30 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,306
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 2,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
It looks right to me.

I believe that some Mexico's had a chrome fork and seat stays, but I think that was dependent upon year. Decals and panto all look good to. Nice re-spray on yours...
I would expect some chrome. As the bike has been repainted, no telling what is underneath. As to the non standard top tube cable stops... many things happen while the paint is off.

You might consider having the fork stripped and chrome redone as a chrome fork was typical. I would leave the frame alone.
repechage is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I like the respray as well. Should be a looker upon completion, dontcha' think guys?
Saronni red? What's not to like!

I see white bar tape, cables and saddle to match those decals and make a nice contrast to the pretty red, while it rides on tan wall Deda Tre's in this one's future. Should be a beauty!
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 07:56 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I would expect some chrome. As the bike has been repainted, no telling what is underneath. As to the non standard top tube cable stops... many things happen while the paint is off.
Yes, the underside cable stops are abit of a mystery, aren't they?

I'm not sure which, or if any of the early Colnago's had them. If it was modified by the previous owner, it seems to have been done very well though.
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 08:03 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,931

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 126 Posts
I like it too - of course! It will look great all done up. Personally I would like to see a Campy Super Record build.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 08:40 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I like it too - of course! It will look great all done up. Personally I would like to see a Campy Super Record build.
I have one very nice complete SR gruppo sitting here for a special frameset someday.

Perhaps something like this would be a nice treat after we get the boys through their undergrad years.

Amazing what I find when I go through all of the boxes and shelves around here....
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 08:58 AM
  #12  
"Purgatory Central"
 
Wino Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: beautiful "Cypress Gardens" florida
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I like the respray as well. Should be a looker upon completion, dontcha' think guys?
Oh absolutely. The repaint looks to be a nice job as it shore is purdy.
Wino Ryder is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 09:09 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
It looks right to me.

I believe that some Mexico's had a chrome fork and seat stays, but I think that was dependent upon year. Decals and panto all look good to. Nice re-spray on yours...
Originally Posted by gomango
I like the respray as well. Should be a looker upon completion, dontcha' think guys?
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I like it too - of course! It will look great all done up. Personally I would like to see a Campy Super Record build.
I personally think that the repaint was poorly executed and those decals are largely responsible. They are vinyl decals which have not been buried. The paint scheme is also not fully true to original. Before building up this frame you will need to fully face it and pass dies through all threaded parts as it appears no effort was taken to protect these during the painting and the clean-up has not been done yet.

Close but disappointing, more like a Colnago Arizona or Colnago Colorado than a Colnago Nuovo Mexico ;-)
Citoyen du Monde is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 09:40 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
I personally think that the repaint was poorly executed and those decals are largely responsible. They are vinyl decals which have not been buried. The paint scheme is also not fully true to original. Before building up this frame you will need to fully face it and pass dies through all threaded parts as it appears no effort was taken to protect these during the painting and the clean-up has not been done yet.

Close but disappointing, more like a Colnago Arizona or Colnago Colorado than a Colnago Nuovo Mexico ;-)
Party pooper.

Looks like a fun rider to me.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 09:46 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Party pooper.

Looks like a fun rider to me.
Agreed, it's going to be a heck of a good looker when she's all done up, and for sure, the new owner is going to love the ride!
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 11:50 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies. What got me thinking was the underside cable stops that I couldn't find to any Nuovo Mexico pictures or catalogs that I could find. Then, I red that Nuovo Mexico should double crimped downtube like this one: https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...go-crimped.jpg.

Anyway, I'm sure that some paint cleaning needs to be done and there are a few details to correct but other than that I don't have much to complain. The fork looks nice painted. Chromed as the original is excellent but I guess I won't touch it unless really need it.

I'd like to have a Campy Super Record and I would be grateful if you could point me to some details of what components get into this gruppo and how I can distinguish them. Although I already own an 1990 Bottecchia that's a fixed gear, I am a beginner in the vintage bikes.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

P.S. White handlebars and seat sound cool.
anascu is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 12:15 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by anascu
Thank you guys for the replies. What got me thinking was the underside cable stops that I couldn't find to any Nuovo Mexico pictures or catalogs that I could find. Then, I red that Nuovo Mexico should double crimped downtube like this one: https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...go-crimped.jpg.

Anyway, I'm sure that some paint cleaning needs to be done and there are a few details to correct but other than that I don't have much to complain. The fork looks nice painted. Chromed as the original is excellent but I guess I won't touch it unless really need it.

I'd like to have a Campy Super Record and I would be grateful if you could point me to some details of what components get into this gruppo and how I can distinguish them. Although I already own an 1990 Bottecchia that's a fixed gear, I am a beginner in the vintage bikes.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

P.S. White handlebars and seat sound cool.
I would find a donor bike to be honest.

Something with a fairly clean SR gruppo.

This will take some time, so be patient.

Buying SR on ebay bit by bit is not for the faint of heart.

Ebay prices run from ridiculous to absurd.

For grins, you could do a wtb on the board here.

Check forum guidelines first and see what happens.

Also, try doing nationwide CL searchs.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 12:22 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
toytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: san leandro
Posts: 1,344

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would put a modernish 10speed Campy group on it myself, but I am biased Mine is a repaint also.
toytech is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 12:30 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
I would put a modernish 10speed Campy group on it myself, but I am biased Mine is a repaint also.
Good idea.

May be cheaper than an SR gruppo and I would much rather ride modern Campy.

That's just me though.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 05:24 PM
  #20  
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,944

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
I personally think that the repaint was poorly executed and those decals are largely responsible. They are vinyl decals which have not been buried. The paint scheme is also not fully true to original. Before building up this frame you will need to fully face it and pass dies through all threaded parts as it appears no effort was taken to protect these during the painting and the clean-up has not been done yet.

Close but disappointing, more like a Colnago Arizona or Colnago Colorado than a Colnago Nuovo Mexico ;-)
Would the Colnago Colorado have Coors stickers?
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 06:52 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Year sounds very close.

Pretty frameset.

Maybe about the same year as Casey's?

@op. Please tell us about your build plans with this pretty Colnago.
i like it

After extensive research I pegged mine somewhere from 83 to 84. Outside of the cable stops (I have documentation showing mine were changed) the only difference I spot is the rear dropouts. Mine are labeled Campagnolo. They may have been a running change, who knows. Everything else looks the same.

mine is also a full repaint and I can't find any signs (inside or out) that the fork or stays were ever chromed.

I also vote Campagnolo 10spd. I went black, but yours screams silver.







thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 09:29 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i like it

After extensive research I pegged mine somewhere from 83 to 84. Outside of the cable stops (I have documentation showing mine were changed) the only difference I spot is the rear dropouts. Mine are labeled Campagnolo. They may have been a running change, who knows. Everything else looks the same.

mine is also a full repaint and I can't find any signs (inside or out) that the fork or stays were ever chromed.

I also vote Campagnolo 10spd. I went black, but yours screams silver.







As always, looks mighty fine Casey.

Silver 10 speed Campy on the op's for sure, more I think about.

Casey, next time you are in town, let's head out for a ride.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 09:56 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Deal
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 06-08-13, 11:35 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Superb bike Casey. I'm more relaxed now and planning the next steps.

The guy selling the frame is not the original owner and he can't tell the year the bike was manufactured. As for the decals they are not original obviously and the most striking one is the Columbus Gilco decal that is obviously completely wrong.

Now I'll try to get Campy 10 speed SR on it but it would take a while to get reasonable deal for it. I will have the whole winter to build it (I live in Finland) .

Last edited by anascu; 06-09-13 at 12:34 AM.
anascu is offline  
Old 06-09-13, 03:50 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by anascu
Superb bike Casey. I'm more relaxed now and planning the next steps.

The guy selling the frame is not the original owner and he can't tell the year the bike was manufactured. As for the decals they are not original obviously and the most striking one is the Columbus Gilco decal that is obviously completely wrong.

Now I'll try to get Campy 10 speed SR on it but it would take a while to get reasonable deal for it. I will have the whole winter to build it (I live in Finland) .
Is the Gilco decal clear coated over?
gomango is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.