Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Colnago's - plus - update

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Colnago's - plus - update

Old 06-23-13, 11:55 PM
  #1  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
My Colnago's - plus - update

Hi guys,

Recently I've been re-building, swapping and changing components on my Colnagos' so I thought it was time for a photo or two. I know it's very self indulgent but some members might be interested. Here they are:







L to R 03 Dream Lux, 90 Master Piu, 82 Mexico, 90 Conic SLX, 86 Superissino SLX & 88 Super SL



L to R Campy 50th & Cobalto.


And here's a couple of photos of all my Italian bikes:





What are the other ones?


L to R 82 Bianchi, 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 ALAN & 85 Pinarello.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 06-24-13 at 12:16 AM.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 12:06 AM
  #2  
mikemowbz 
Senior Member
 
mikemowbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,353

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Truly a sight to see, all in a row!

We only have one nice Italian bike in the house (my girlfriend's Atala), and one made by an Italian-Canadian (my Marinoni, actually still a few provinces away).

It's a pleasure to see this well-tended collection. Thanks for sharing!
mikemowbz is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 12:20 AM
  #3  
spacemanz
Senior Member
 
spacemanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,085

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What? No Bottecchia? Whatsamatta-fayou? I'm at 3 Italian-made (Bottecchia, Atala, & Frejus), and the other Italian-Canadian, Miele.
spacemanz is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 02:46 AM
  #4  
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"
 
Wino Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: beautiful "Cypress Gardens" florida
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WoW, thats quite a collection you got there Gary. I see two of them have Delta brakes. Which one is your favorite?
Wino Ryder is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 03:02 AM
  #5  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Wino Ryder View Post
WoW, thats quite a collection you got there Gary. I see two of them have Delta brakes. Which one is your favorite?
Not trying to be a 'smarty pants', I have 3 bikes with Deltas. My favourite happens to be a Rossin as it's a perfect fit for me. The other two are a little big but I do ride them. I really like how Colnagos ride and the Rossin really feels the same as the Colnagos. I suppose Mario Rossin had his beginnings with Colnago and became Colnago's chief frame builder. I've had the red Colnago for quite a while and it's in really nice condition but I purchased the pink/green Colnago a number of years ago with a Suntour Superbe Pro gruppo (original). I stripped it down a few times since and it's latest guise is kitted out with a mate's C-record components which are well worn but still perform faultlessly. They match the patina of the frame.

Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 03:07 AM
  #6  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz View Post
Truly a sight to see, all in a row!

We only have one nice Italian bike in the house (my girlfriend's Atala), and one made by an Italian-Canadian (my Marinoni, actually still a few provinces away).

It's a pleasure to see this well-tended collection. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I've always admired Atala's although I've never seen one in the flesh (from memory) and I really like your Marinoni's. They always look well made and attractively presented. You've got 2 great bikes.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 03:13 AM
  #7  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemanz View Post
What? No Bottecchia? Whatsamatta-fayou? I'm at 3 Italian-made (Bottecchia, Atala, & Frejus), and the other Italian-Canadian, Miele.
Haha - no I haven't got a Bottecchia but it's not through a lack of wanting one. I've never come across one in my size that has been for sale. Your other 2 Italian bikes are pretty special too. I once saw a photo in an 80's Magazine of an older guy holding up his Frejus above his head after an epic ride (can't recall where now). It looked fantastic and I wanted one badly. Again it was never to be. With the Miele, you've got quite a desirable collection happening.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:01 AM
  #8  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,162
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Nice to see you still have "my" favorite, the 90 Conic SLX, tucked safely away in the stable.

Gary, this is an amazing stable of Colnago, Pinarello and Rossin, Bianchi, Alan and Cinelli bicycles.

It's really fun to see them in one place like this, for sure.

I'll always have at least one Colnago around, as I enjoy the brand.

I don't always ride my Colnago on a weekly basis, but when I do, I wonder why I keep so many other racing bicycles around!

Thanks again!!!!
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:29 AM
  #9  
northbend 
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,427

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1974 Alex Singer; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring)

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 257 Posts
Wow, now that is a visual treat. What a great collection.
northbend is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:35 AM
  #10  
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hey Gary, glad you posted these beauties.

I've never seen your whole collection like that. Very nice, you should be rightly proud to show them off. I've always been a big fan of Colnago's myself, and I finally snagged a 78 Super over the winter, Grady's as-a-matter-of-fact. Really a superb ride and it is everything I expected a high end Italian would be. I consider myself fortunate to own just one, but I see from your example, there is room for my collection to grow! Doh, it's my wife! Uhhh, no honey, I'm just kidding, it's just guy talk, really, I swear dear, no more Colnagos!

My favorite is your white one with the green and red on the TT. It just oozes Italian passion!
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:46 AM
  #11  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Nice to see you still have "my" favorite, the 90 Conic SLX, tucked safely away in the stable.

Gary, this is an amazing stable of Colnago, Pinarello and Rossin, Bianchi, Alan and Cinelli bicycles.

It's really fun to see them in one place like this, for sure.

I'll always have at least one Colnago around, as I enjoy the brand.

I don't always ride my Colnago on a weekly basis, but when I do, I wonder why I keep so many other racing bicycles around!

Thanks again!!!!
Thanks Gomango, I really appreciate your continual support like you give to all other forum members.

The Conic SLX frame is the only new frame I have ever had. (Perhaps I could include the Cinelli frame as the first owner didn't use it.) It is my size - perfectly. I will probably have it 'till I 'clock-out' for the last time. I have taken the 50th gruppo off it as it suited the 82 Mexico better but I have fitted it out with last gen. SR cranks (etched logo), Cobalto brakes, 50th Ti pedals and seatpost, Electra saddle, ICS enhanced gear levers and SR gears. It has kept my favourite ITM bars and stem. It's still special in my mind.

I know of your passion for Colnago too and I would love to see a groupshot of your bikes.

Here's the rejuvenated Conic SLX:









Gomango, I really worry about posting photos of my bikes on the forum as it's a bit self-indulgent but it's the only place where I can have contact with other people interested in classic bikes. There is no other person in my town interested in these bikes - no interest even in the 3 bikeshops in my town. I love my bikes but I am aware of their shortcomings but being a member of this forum, even though I'm half way around the world from most other forum members, is very rewarding thanks to you and many others. I just love seeing everyone else's bikes and reading the discussions that are always interesting.

With many thanks,

Gary.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:54 AM
  #12  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend View Post
Wow, now that is a visual treat. What a great collection.
Thanks northbend. Just looking at your list of bikes, you too have some very desirable bikes. I would love a Paramount and the Merckx MX is such an iconic bike too.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:01 AM
  #13  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
Hey Gary, glad you posted these beauties.

I've never seen your whole collection like that. Very nice, you should be rightly proud to show them off. I've always been a big fan of Colnago's myself, and I finally snagged a 78 Super over the winter, Grady's as-a-matter-of-fact. Really a superb ride and it is everything I expected a high end Italian would be. I consider myself fortunate to own just one, but I see from your example, there is room for my collection to grow! Doh, it's my wife! Uhhh, no honey, I'm just kidding, it's just guy talk, really, I swear dear, no more Colnagos!

My favorite is your white one with the green and red on the TT. It just oozes Italian passion!
Thanks Giacomo 1. I really liked your thread showing your new Colnago Super - quite a bike. My wife can now see the light at the end of the tunnel but wants me to write down a full inventory, so, in the unfortunate event of my demise, she would know how to advertise my bikes on ebay. She can see a trip to the south of France in her future I'm sure, haha.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:11 AM
  #14  
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain View Post
Thanks Giacomo 1. I really liked your thread showing your new Colnago Super - quite a bike. My wife can now see the light at the end of the tunnel but wants me to write down a full inventory, so, in the unfortunate event of my demise, she would know how to advertise my bikes on ebay. She can see a trip to the south of France in her future I'm sure, haha.
Ahhh, you got to love our wives - there always thinking ahead!

I'm afraid my collection would only get my a wife a full, all expenses paid weekend at the Holiday Inn off the Jersey Turnpike! Hmmm, maybe if I invest in more bikes she could... Nahhh, better not go there!

And yes, that Conix SLX is the one! A real beauty in that paint scheme...

Glad you found this forum and community. It's a great place to show off your bikes. I am pretty much in the same situation as you though, I don't really know to many C&V'ers, so this place works for me as well...
__________________
It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:23 AM
  #15  
Vonruden 
Gold Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 64 Posts
Amazing collection. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
"My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

Get on your bikes and ride!

https://instagram.com/norseamerican/
Vonruden is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:26 AM
  #16  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,162
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain View Post
Thanks Gomango, I really appreciate your continual support like you give to all other forum members.

The Conic SLX frame is the only new frame I have ever had. (Perhaps I could include the Cinelli frame as the first owner didn't use it.) It is my size - perfectly. I will probably have it 'till I 'clock-out' for the last time. I have taken the 50th gruppo off it as it suited the 82 Mexico better but I have fitted it out with last gen. SR cranks (etched logo), Cobalto brakes, 50th Ti pedals and seatpost, Electra saddle, ICS enhanced gear levers and SR gears. It has kept my favourite ITM bars and stem. It's still special in my mind.

I know of your passion for Colnago too and I would love to see a groupshot of your bikes.

Here's the rejuvenated Conic SLX:









Gomango, I really worry about posting photos of my bikes on the forum as it's a bit self-indulgent but it's the only place where I can have contact with other people interested in classic bikes. There is no other person in my town interested in these bikes - no interest even in the 3 bikeshops in my town. I love my bikes but I am aware of their shortcomings but being a member of this forum, even though I'm half way around the world from most other forum members, is very rewarding thanks to you and many others. I just love seeing everyone else's bikes and reading the discussions that are always interesting.

With many thanks,

Gary.
Yes, Gary, there she is.

The new build is also quite special.

I really like it.

Although all of your beautiful bicycles are special, this is one that has intangible "extra" pizzaz.

As for a stable shot of my bicycles, I think I will do just that.

My fleet has really been downsized, but there are some left that forum members may enjoy seeing.

Although I still enjoy road bikes, I have been spending a great deal of time riding off road.

Over half of my bicycles are now set up for gravel or fire roads!
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:35 AM
  #17  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
As for a stable shot of my bicycles, I think I will do just that.

My fleet has really been downsized, but there are some left that forum members may enjoy seeing.

Although I still enjoy road bikes, I have been spending a great deal of time riding off road.

Over half of my bicycles are now set up for gravel or fire roads!
I'm really looking forward to the group shot - off roaders too. I've never had an off road bike but I bet it's real fun.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:55 AM
  #18  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,795

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 157 Posts
Gary,
The collection is beautiful, your work is absolutely fantastic. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us regularly, that isn't self serving on your part, it is great for those of us that appreciate your work, like that of the other collectors and restorers here on C&V. Much appreciated.

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 07:07 AM
  #19  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,162
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Gary,
The collection is beautiful, your work is absolutely fantastic. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us regularly, that isn't self serving on your part, it is great for those of us that appreciate your work, like that of the other collectors and restorers here on C&V. Much appreciated.

Bill
I totally agree.

I think it's totally up to the individual's comfort level, as far as posting pics goes.

Let's face it, many of us come here for the visuals.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/

Last edited by gomango; 06-24-13 at 07:59 AM.
gomango is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 07:50 AM
  #20  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks for your comments vonruden, you have quite an impressive list also.

Thanks qcpmsame for your thoughts and support. I appreciate yours and gomango's positive impressions of this forum.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 08:08 AM
  #21  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,756
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain View Post
Not trying to be a 'smarty pants', I have 3 bikes with Deltas. My favourite happens to be a Rossin as it's a perfect fit for me. The other two are a little big but I do ride them. I really like how Colnagos ride and the Rossin really feels the same as the Colnagos. I suppose Mario Rossin had his beginnings with Colnago and became Colnago's chief frame builder. I've had the red Colnago for quite a while and it's in really nice condition but I purchased the pink/green Colnago a number of years ago with a Suntour Superbe Pro gruppo (original). I stripped it down a few times since and it's latest guise is kitted out with a mate's C-record components which are well worn but still perform faultlessly. They match the patina of the frame.

Very Nice clutch of Colnagos. I find it interesting that you mention the Rossin fits you best and the others are a bit large. In a rough review of the trio here, it appears the Rossin is a bit smaller frame and with the most offset to the bar tops. Not compensating for top tube length I would think the others could be set up almost equally as the Rossin, but perhaps they have longer top tubes and a shorter stem is just not stylish? My reason for comment is that I have been aligning my bikes to the same position, takes some effort especially with a different saddle- but it has been useful. A few bikes are not in the "too big" category. Gravity has struck back and I have lost 15 mm in height in the last 3 decades, so I now use a slightly shorter stem, and since I have been riding very regularly I have increased the drop to the bars. A few bikes would need a Cinelli 2A stem to get the same position.

I use a drywall framing square modified a bit to drop over the bikes and measure from the BB axle.

I only have 3 Colnagos, one is too small and for the kids when they grow up just a wee bit more. I put off buying one for decades, now the '73 is one of my favorite bikes.
repechage is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 08:13 AM
  #22  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey, it's not self-indulgent if you're bringing so much hapiness to appreciating bike nuts 'round the world what a great collection, thanks for sharing.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 08:56 AM
  #23  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 7,873

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 426 Posts
+1. I never tire of seeing the brand. Thanks for sharing them. My 83 Superissimo is my favorite, but is reserved for special rides when I am in shape. The improvements I make are small incremental ones. Next is to get some good tubulars for it instead of old used ones!
SJX426 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 09:24 AM
  #24  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,756
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426 View Post
+1. I never tire of seeing the brand. Thanks for sharing them. My 83 Superissimo is my favorite, but is reserved for special rides when I am in shape. The improvements I make are small incremental ones. Next is to get some good tubulars for it instead of old used ones!
Experienced tubulars while not factory fresh "pretty" are often very durable. The rubber is less sticky and the tires in general get fewer flats. Give me aged tires any day.
I try to age mine, sometimes this is not possible, if a tire makes the 6 month mark without a puncture, it will go much much longer, sometimes even to the point of wearing out first.
repechage is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 09:36 AM
  #25  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,830

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
Very Nice clutch of Colnagos. I find it interesting that you mention the Rossin fits you best and the others are a bit large. In a rough review of the trio here, it appears the Rossin is a bit smaller frame and with the most offset to the bar tops. Not compensating for top tube length I would think the others could be set up almost equally as the Rossin, but perhaps they have longer top tubes and a shorter stem is just not stylish? My reason for comment is that I have been aligning my bikes to the same position, takes some effort especially with a different saddle- but it has been useful. A few bikes are not in the "too big" category. Gravity has struck back and I have lost 15 mm in height in the last 3 decades, so I now use a slightly shorter stem, and since I have been riding very regularly I have increased the drop to the bars. A few bikes would need a Cinelli 2A stem to get the same position.

I use a drywall framing square modified a bit to drop over the bikes and measure from the BB axle.

I only have 3 Colnagos, one is too small and for the kids when they grow up just a wee bit more. I put off buying one for decades, now the '73 is one of my favorite bikes.
Thanks very much. There's not much difference in top tube length between the three (5mm). The main difference is seat tube length (30mm). I have mucked around with seat position and stem lengths so my position is similar but, as you can see, the red Colnago has a longer stem than the other Colnago because, as you indicate, it is visually more pleasing. My riding position is similar bit there is not too much top tube clearance when I put my foot on the ground.

I suppose you can only play the cards you are dealt so you have to adapt to the circumstances.

A 73 Colnago is a very desirable bike. I bet the build quality is wonderful.
Gary Fountain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.