Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Post your Schwinn Voyageur! (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/925759-post-your-schwinn-voyageur.html)

polymorphself 07-28-20 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21612177)
Haha, I knew that'd get me in trouble. I forgot to mention I also threw on some gumwall Panaracer Paselas. I've spent the last few days trying to get my seat post to stay put — it's been sliding down during rides. I think it's fixed now, but it still needs a test ride to verify. NYC has been HOT this week. Once that's sorted, there will be an updated picture! I'll even throw all the racks and bottle cages on for the pageantry.

Please do.

Schreck83 07-28-20 06:44 PM

What size is your new seatpost?

Rooney 07-28-20 07:32 PM

You got it, polymorphself!

26.6 using this chart as a guide. I posted a thread in the Bike Mechanics section and have gotten lots of advice.

Schreck83 07-28-20 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21612348)
You got it, polymorphself!

26.6 using this chart as a guide. I posted a thread in the Bike Mechanics section and have gotten lots of advice.

See my post #235 above. My stock 84 Voyageur SP has a 27.2 mm seatpost. That would explain the slipping you are seeing with a 26.6 post.

Rooney 07-29-20 12:56 AM


Originally Posted by Schreck83 (Post 21612418)
See my post #235 above. My stock 84 Voyageur SP has a 27.2 mm seatpost. That would explain the slipping you are seeing with a 26.6 post.

I was excited to see another 25" '84 SP posted earlier. I'd somehow missed the seatpost dimension. I never got around to a test ride tonight (beers with the roommates, and watching The Last Dance) so, I'll see how it fares tomorrow. Definitely good information to know. Is your seatpost marked 27.2? That feels like a bit of a jumped from the listed 26.6, but I also don't know much.

beicster 07-29-20 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21612623)
I was excited to see another 25" '84 SP posted earlier. I'd somehow missed the seatpost dimension. I never got around to a test ride tonight (beers with the roommates, and watching The Last Dance) so, I'll see how it fares tomorrow. Definitely good information to know. Is your seatpost marked 27.2? That feels like a bit of a jumped from the listed 26.6, but I also don't know much.

My Tenax framed non SP Voyageur uses a 26.6. The SP versions had a different tubeset so it would make sense if it was different.

Rooney 07-29-20 12:15 PM

Now I'm interested to see if anyone else with an 84/85 SP also has a 27.2 seatpost. It seems like the only other one posted here belongs to The Golden Boy. Maybe he can add a data point.

Schreck83 07-29-20 02:08 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21613511)
Now I'm interested to see if anyone else with an 84/85 SP also has a 27.2 seatpost. It seems like the only other one posted here belongs to The Golden Boy. Maybe he can add a data point.

Paging TheGoldenBoy
ravenix bought a VSP frameset recently and may have input..

Rooney 07-30-20 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 21612237)
Please do.

Here it is in its current state — ugly rushed bar wrap and all! I took it out for a quick spin yesterday to test the seatpost, and it didn't slide down at all. The carbon grip seems to have done the job for now. The next few days will be cooler, but also rainy. Hopefully, I can get a longer ride in to find out if this problem is solved or not.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a3aebcb8_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ca491f1_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7ce82eba_h.jpg

polymorphself 07-30-20 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21615544)
Here it is in its current state — ugly rushed bar wrap and all! I took it out for a quick spin yesterday to test the seatpost, and it didn't slide down at all. The carbon grip seems to have done the job for now. The next few days will be cooler, but also rainy. Hopefully, I can get a longer ride in to find out if this problem is solved or not.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a3aebcb8_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ca491f1_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7ce82eba_h.jpg

Looks fantastic! Even the patina suits it. The honey was a good choice. Any plans for fenders?

Rooney 07-30-20 02:10 PM

Thank you! It definitely seems like it's lived quite a life before reaching me. A thorough cleaning with some touch-ups wouldn't hurt come winter. The blue paint felt like it demanded honey over the originally planned dark brown. Yes, silver Velo Orange hammered fenders. There's no real reason why I haven't done it yet.

polymorphself 07-30-20 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21615591)
Yes, silver Velo Orange hammered fenders. There's no real reason why I haven't done it yet.

those will be perfect.

Rooney 08-03-20 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by Schreck83 (Post 21613727)
Paging TheGoldenBoy
ravenix bought a VSP frameset recently and may have input..

I think I've just come across the answer, here.

Three other '84/85 Voyageur SP owners (including TheGoldenBoy) seem to verify the seatpost is 27.2, contrary to the 26.6 listed in the Schwinn catalogs and Voyageur comparison chart. Guess I'm in the market for a seatpost.

shoota 08-06-20 12:45 PM

Here’s the mostly finished state of the wife’s ‘86. 1X 40 x 11-32 with Campy shifters and Suntour rd. New Bontrager TLR wheels with 38mm tanwall Gravelkings set up tubeless. Outer Shell handlebar bag. And the only feature required by said wifey, a kickstand. Next mod is a handmade cedar basket for the rear rack. This thing absolutely rips.


https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72ac1c9f8.jpeg

noglider 08-10-20 09:22 AM

@shoota, does your wife know how lucky she is. Damn good job. For a kickstand, try the kind that clamps onto the rear stays. It works well and doesn't crimp the frame.

shoota 08-10-20 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21633110)
@shoota, does your wife know how lucky she is. Damn good job. For a kickstand, try the kind that clamps onto the rear stays. It works well and doesn't crimp the frame.

I think she's starting to get it. It sunk in a little when the bike shop guys had to take turns riding it around block and were gushing over it. And all the ladies on the Thursday Night Ladies ride ask her about it. Ladies that know nothing about bikes notice it. That's saying something. She regularly picks it over her modern Jamis Renegade with STI and disc brakes.

Do you have a particular kickstand you'd recommend. I've seen these crimp the chainstays so I put it on just ever so tight enough to not slip. So far so good but it has slipped a bit in the past. Luckily that's an easy fix.

noglider 08-10-20 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by shoota (Post 21633163)
Do you have a particular kickstand you'd recommend. I've seen these crimp the chainstays so I put it on just ever so tight enough to not slip. So far so good but it has slipped a bit in the past. Luckily that's an easy fix.

I don't have a particular one. Maybe they do damage the stays but that seems like less of a problem than the behind-BB kind of crimping.

shoota 08-12-20 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21633172)
I don't have a particular one. Maybe they do damage the stays but that seems like less of a problem than the behind-BB kind of crimping.

Oh I meant the one I have installed can damage the tubing, not the kind you are recommending. I will look more into those, thanks!

beicster 08-12-20 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by shoota (Post 21626826)
Here’s the mostly finished state of the wife’s ‘86. 1X 40 x 11-32 with Campy shifters and Suntour rd. New Bontrager TLR wheels with 38mm tanwall Gravelkings set up tubeless. Outer Shell handlebar bag. And the only feature required by said wifey, a kickstand. Next mod is a handmade cedar basket for the rear rack. This thing absolutely rips.

That looks great. What size tires are those?

The Golden Boy 08-12-20 02:01 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21613511)
Now I'm interested to see if anyone else with an 84/85 SP also has a 27.2 seatpost. It seems like the only other one posted here belongs to The Golden Boy. Maybe he can add a data point.


Originally Posted by Schreck83 (Post 21613727)
Paging TheGoldenBoy
ravenix bought a VSP frameset recently and may have input..

I opened up this thread- read where I'm tagged and I look at my mentions and I've got nothing! So I'm "The (space) Golden (space) Boy" and apparently there's a user whose name is TheGoldenBoy- with no spaces- and apparently no posts... I promise you I was not just ignoring you!!!

The seat post for an 85 Schwinn Voyageur SP is 27.2. I'm sure of it- I currently have a 27.2 Suntour Superbe Pro seat post in my bike after removing the stock SR Four'Sir.

The interesting thing about it was when I removed the Four'Sir- I could see it was marked 27.2, but I tried a different 27.2 in there and it wouldn't go in... so I was convinced the seat post was stamped wrong (!?!?). When I tried putting the Four'Sir in- it didn't go right in... Then I spread the collar by the binder and it went right in- same with the other 27.2 posts.

I sincerely apologize for not opening this thread when I've seen it get bumped up.

shoota 08-12-20 03:46 PM


Originally Posted by beicster (Post 21637300)
That looks great. What size tires are those?

Thanks! 700x38 GravelKings. They actually measure 38mm too.

beicster 08-12-20 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by shoota (Post 21637749)
Thanks! 700x38 GravelKings. They actually measure 38mm too.

I have an 85 and I will be going with 38's when my Pacela 35's wear out or I get tired of waiting. How are those on pavement?

Rooney 08-12-20 06:16 PM


Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 21637561)
I opened up this thread- read where I'm tagged and I look at my mentions and I've got nothing! So I'm "The (space) Golden (space) Boy" and apparently there's a user whose name is TheGoldenBoy- with no spaces- and apparently no posts... I promise you I was not just ignoring you!!!

The seat post for an 85 Schwinn Voyageur SP is 27.2. I'm sure of it- I currently have a 27.2 Suntour Superbe Pro seat post in my bike after removing the stock SR Four'Sir.

The interesting thing about it was when I removed the Four'Sir- I could see it was marked 27.2, but I tried a different 27.2 in there and it wouldn't go in... so I was convinced the seat post was stamped wrong (!?!?). When I tried putting the Four'Sir in- it didn't go right in... Then I spread the collar by the binder and it went right in- same with the other 27.2 posts.

I sincerely apologize for not opening this thread when I've seen it get bumped up.

Two golden boys, how 'bout that! I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a Four'Sir — there's one listed but apparently it's been cut down. Is there much difference between that and the ubiquitous (around here) Laprade? Also open to any other seatpost suggestions. The one I've currently got seems to be holding now with the carbon grip but I'd like to get the right size in there. I'm moving at the end of the month though and with the current state of the postal service, I may wait until I'm settled before ordering another seatpost.


Originally Posted by shoota (Post 21637749)
Thanks! 700x38 GravelKings. They actually measure 38mm too.

Can you fit fenders with those or is 35 the max with fenders? Thinking about future possibilities... before I've begun the current plans.

The Golden Boy 08-12-20 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21637989)
Two golden boys, how 'bout that! I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a Four'Sir — there's one listed but apparently it's been cut down. Is there much difference between that and the ubiquitous (around here) Laprade? Also open to any other seatpost suggestions. The one I've currently got seems to be holding now with the carbon grip but I'd like to get the right size in there. I'm moving at the end of the month though and with the current state of the postal service, I may wait until I'm settled before ordering another seatpost.

Can you fit fenders with those or is 35 the max with fenders? Thinking about future possibilities... before I've begun the current plans.

IKR!?!?! :D

I would NOT fork out big bank for a Four'Sir. The Four'Sir is the successor to the SR Royal- it's the top of the line SR seat post. I honestly cannot tell the difference between that and the ordinary LaPrade. I haven't actually weighed and compared- but it's pretty beefy. I'd put it about as heavy as a Sugino SP-KC- and those aren't light. By the way, the reason needed to replace the Four'Sir is because I couldn't get a decent angle on the saddle- The angle of the seat tube is steeper than other bikes (at least in my size), so it makes the saddle point down, and it wouldn't rotate up high enough. The stock saddle was very "banana" shaped- so it kind of counteracted that nose down thing. I just opted for a more adjustable seat post.

As far as recommendations... depends on what you're into. Fortunately, 27.2 is THE size for many of the great tube sets- SL/SP/531variants... so you're going to have a lot of examples of some fancy (and not so fancy) I've got stubby legs so a fluted post leaves openings into the seat tube- so I prefer non-fluted posts. Like I mentioned before, I've got a Superbe Pro on mine.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4881/4...cd77b155_o.jpg620 Build Seatpost by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr


Of course, you could get a DA seat post:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7926/4...246765b6_o.jpgDASPRight by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr


If you're not so concerned with bling, but rather a respectful, non-fluted seat post- the SP-K is a great option. But I don't think I have pix of that.

HenryhHuber 08-13-20 01:40 AM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 21615544)
Here it is in its current state — ugly rushed bar wrap and all! I took it out for a quick spin yesterday to test the seatpost, and it didn't slide down at all. The carbon grip seems to have done the job for now. The next few days will be cooler, but also rainy. Hopefully, I can get a longer ride in to find out if this problem is solved or not.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a3aebcb8_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ca491f1_k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7ce82eba_h.jpg

looks great! I appreciate the snazzy saddle bag you're using!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.