Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Old 07-08-22, 04:59 PM
  #251  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 8,724

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,161 Posts
Did this pop up on anybody else's Google feed?





For sale: an unusual Motoconfort twin engine motorcycle
SurferRosa is online now  
Old 07-08-22, 11:33 PM
  #252  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 115 Posts
It's coming soon


Hproduguidon is offline  
Likes For Hproduguidon:
Old 07-10-22, 12:21 AM
  #253  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 115 Posts
Motobecane interclub

Hproduguidon is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 01:02 AM
  #254  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts

Grand record just came home.
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-12-22, 11:16 AM
  #255  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,725

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 2,734 Times in 934 Posts
Mrs. ascherer's Grand Jubile.
Mods: 700c VO wheels with 1st gen Dura Ace high-flange hubs, 14-32 freewheel, Rene Herse tires, Tektro levers and interrupters for small hands, Terry Liberator, Waxwing wedge. I may have mounted a Weinmann 750 in the back, or it may have had it. I don't recall. In any event, it's super smooth and she loves riding this bike.


Gran Jubile
__________________
1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Free Spirit Ted Williams, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport





ascherer is offline  
Likes For ascherer:
Old 07-12-22, 12:25 PM
  #256  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Mrs. ascherer's Grand Jubile.
Mods: 700c VO wheels with 1st gen Dura Ace high-flange hubs, 14-32 freewheel, Rene Herse tires, Tektro levers and interrupters for small hands, Terry Liberator, Waxwing wedge. I may have mounted a Weinmann 750 in the back, or it may have had it. I don't recall. In any event, it's super smooth and she loves riding this bike.


Gran Jubile
Beautiful!
52telecaster is offline  
Old 07-12-22, 12:50 PM
  #257  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,725

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 2,734 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Beautiful!
Wish I could take some credit but it's all back in France. I agree with you, this is one classy-looking bike.
__________________
1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Free Spirit Ted Williams, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport





ascherer is offline  
Likes For ascherer:
Old 07-12-22, 01:02 PM
  #258  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Wish I could take some credit but it's all back in France. I agree with you, this is one classy-looking bike.
All motos seem to have a sense of style about them.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 07-12-22, 03:27 PM
  #259  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 473

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Mrs. ascherer's Grand Jubile.
Mods: 700c VO wheels with 1st gen Dura Ace high-flange hubs, 14-32 freewheel, Rene Herse tires, Tektro levers and interrupters for small hands, Terry Liberator, Waxwing wedge. I may have mounted a Weinmann 750 in the back, or it may have had it. I don't recall. In any event, it's super smooth and she loves riding this bike.


Gran Jubile
How the heck do you get that long cage Jubilee to work on a 32 tooth freewheel? About the biggest they're rated at is a 28 tooth. Beautiful bike tho. I had matching silver/black men's and mixte GJs but I sold the pair to a collector in California a number of years ago just because the mixte was too big for my wife. I've since replaced them with a pair of matching red/black GJs that the mixte is smaller.
motogeek is offline  
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-12-22, 06:10 PM
  #260  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,725

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 2,734 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek;[url=tel:22572483
22572483[/url]]How the heck do you get that long cage Jubilee to work on a 32 tooth freewheel? About the biggest they're rated at is a 28 tooth. Beautiful bike tho.
Thanks! I used a cheap hanger extender that I modified to accommodate ‘le style Hurêt’.
__________________
1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Free Spirit Ted Williams, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport





ascherer is offline  
Likes For ascherer:
Old 07-12-22, 11:38 PM
  #261  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Thanks! I used a cheap hanger extender that I modified to accommodate ‘le style Hurêt’.
Pretty crafty. I will say the short cage ones do 28 with ease on my competition.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 06:13 AM
  #262  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,361

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 639 Posts
Not a restored French beauty but my gas-pipe college commuter is now the grocery getter. Bought new in 81 and the only remaining original parts are the FD and the headset.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 07-13-22 at 06:17 AM.
BTinNYC is offline  
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-13-22, 08:00 AM
  #263  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Karate Monkey, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi. I'm new to this forum and bike restoration in-general. I pulled my dad's 1982 (I think) Jubile Sport out of his garage last weekend. Surprisingly, it's in pretty good shape for being 40 years old. There are some rust spots and one of the Motobecane stickers is in bad shape. I don't even know where to start or what questions to ask. Things that come to mind are how to fix the rust spots, do I think about repainting the bike or is having the original color important? What's the best way to clean up the components? Where to buy replacement decals? I'd like to build up a gravel bike, but I don't know if this would even be an option. Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
chadaustin is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 08:57 AM
  #264  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,361

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 639 Posts
Originally Posted by chadaustin
Hi. I'm new to this forum and bike restoration in-general. I pulled my dad's 1982 (I think) Jubile Sport out of his garage last weekend. Surprisingly, it's in pretty good shape for being 40 years old. There are some rust spots and one of the Motobecane stickers is in bad shape. I don't even know where to start or what questions to ask. Things that come to mind are how to fix the rust spots, do I think about repainting the bike or is having the original color important? What's the best way to clean up the components? Where to buy replacement decals? I'd like to build up a gravel bike, but I don't know if this would even be an option. Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome!
You're in for some fun getting the bike back on the road...then some real fun riding.

There are great details on the following work items all through Bikeforums and Youtube.

Here's my thoughts; work on the critical issues before the cosmetic. Stop the rusting by hitting the spots with some Naval Jelly or other rust remover and a medium scotch brite pad. I would replace those old dried up brake pads. Kool Stop is a very good brand. Tires are probably 27", they will say the size on the sidewall, (not the more common 700c) and also probably need replacing. Hate saying it, but good tires make a huge impact on comfort and speed and they cost. A lot of older bikes won't fit the wider (32mm wide) gravel tires, but your's might. Measure first and leave ~3mm clearance on each side. by now you're ready to ride. The old cables and housing may function but usually they need replacing too, they really affect shifting.

Cosmetics - A complete re-paint is non-trivial. I'd look for Testors or other model paint to do touch ups. Velocals.com is a good source for decals.

Enjoy the process and hurray for old guy's garages!
BT

Last edited by BTinNYC; 07-13-22 at 09:03 AM.
BTinNYC is offline  
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-13-22, 09:10 AM
  #265  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Not a restored French beauty but my gas-pipe college commuter is now the grocery getter. Bought new in 81 and the only remaining original parts are the FD and the headset.
Awesome it still is getting use.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 09:31 AM
  #266  
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Soviet of Oregon or the NW Florida Redoubt
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 245 Posts
Good advice above, just will add: For rust, Oxalic acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly, Wood Bleach etc. Best buy is in crystal form at your Pharmacy, or online so can be mixed as needed, have also used electrolysis in a washing soda solution on old tools/machinery. Google rust removal.. Paint is only original once, so try to preserve it by cleaning,touchup and polishing.. For Decals, I like Cyclomondo https://www.cyclomondo.net/ Very wide selection, high quality, and lthough he's far away in Australia, Greg Softley is quick to respond via e-mail, & is a vintage bike enthusiast. Had what I needed every time & sells many single decals so you aren't locked in to buying a whole set you may not need. Don
ollo_ollo is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 03:56 PM
  #267  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Karate Monkey, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks BT and ollo_ollo, I will start with your suggestions in mind.

I was also wondering about plastic/pleather handle bar wrap. It's looks to be in good shape, but thinking bar tape might be better. I just don't know if people like to keep as much original as possible or not.
chadaustin is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 04:58 PM
  #268  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,361

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 639 Posts
Chad, bar tape is a consumable, regularly changed when worn.
You should start your own project thread in the Classic and Vintage section. Your questions will get a broader audience and folks all enjoy the issues and photos of ANY bike project.
BTinNYC is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 05:31 PM
  #269  
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 14,767

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 516 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked 3,798 Times in 1,422 Posts
I can't believe there has been a "show me your Motobecane thread" that I haven't posted in. Well, that's easily fixed and what I've done may help @chadaustin with any concerns about keeping things original. I must admit I've long since gone over to the dark side in this regard, but with anything less than a provably Tour de France ridden Le Champion, I think there should be nothing holding you back from doing whatever makes you happy with a Motobecane.

Here's what made me happy (and still does every time I ride it) with my 1972 Motobecane Grand Record.

As found ($20, talked down from an asking price of $30 because the seatpost was stuck)


After some minor Gugificazione, powder coating (main color chosen to match the fenders), and a 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain upgrade



Here's what made me happy (and still does) with my 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilé

As found (purchased from @gugie's Atelier stock) but with some test fit components hung on it


After extensive Gugificazione, powder coating, and a 10-speed Campgnolo drivetrain upgrade



So, yeah, not quite original

BTW, I got my decals from velocals.com
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 07-14-22, 12:14 AM
  #270  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I can't believe there has been a "show me your Motobecane thread" that I haven't posted in. Well, that's easily fixed and what I've done may help @chadaustin with any concerns about keeping things original. I must admit I've long since gone over to the dark side in this regard, but with anything less than a provably Tour de France ridden Le Champion, I think there should be nothing holding you back from doing whatever makes you happy with a Motobecane.

Here's what made me happy (and still does every time I ride it) with my 1972 Motobecane Grand Record.

As found ($20, talked down from an asking price of $30 because the seatpost was stuck)


After some minor Gugificazione, powder coating (main color chosen to match the fenders), and a 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain upgrade



Here's what made me happy (and still does) with my 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilé

As found (purchased from @gugie's Atelier stock) but with some test fit components hung on it


After extensive Gugificazione, powder coating, and a 10-speed Campgnolo drivetrain upgrade



So, yeah, not quite original

BTW, I got my decals from velocals.com
lovely Andy!
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-14-22, 06:35 AM
  #271  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 473

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Mrs. ascherer's Grand Jubile.
Mods: 700c VO wheels with 1st gen Dura Ace high-flange hubs, 14-32 freewheel, Rene Herse tires, Tektro levers and interrupters for small hands, Terry Liberator, Waxwing wedge. I may have mounted a Weinmann 750 in the back, or it may have had it. I don't recall. In any event, it's super smooth and she loves riding this bike.


Gran Jubile
That's a real beauty. I think the GJ mixte is the best looking mixte ever made.
motogeek is offline  
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-14-22, 10:02 AM
  #272  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Karate Monkey, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
You should start your own project thread in the Classic and Vintage section. Your questions will get a broader audience and folks all enjoy the issues and photos of ANY bike project.
Great idea, thanks. Andy, thanks for sharing photos of your bikes and the encouragement to do what makes me happy.
chadaustin is offline  
Likes For chadaustin:
Old 07-15-22, 03:34 PM
  #273  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 473

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 64 Posts

'75 Grand Jubile, I swapped out the long cage Jubilee RD for a Huret Duopar and larger rear sprockets to give me a wider range

Mint 74 Grand Record. This beautiful bike looks like it just rolled off the show room floor.

My wife's matching Grand Jubile mixte

'75 Grand Record that some previous owner put "safety levers" on. Just haven't taken the time to swap them out with something else yet

'73 Le Champion I bought from original owner from near Lake Tahoe. He used to race on it and also did a crosss country tour on it. Has marks on stays from a Pletcher-type rear rack. Plenty of patia on this old thoroughbred

'75 Grand Record that I had Gugie braze on some cantilever studs. I've accumulated nearly all the pieces I need to create an all-French randonneur bike, just trying to decide on paint

'72 Grand Record. Totally (except pedals) Campy, including hard to find French Campy parts (HS, BB,seat post.)



So here is my collection of Motobecanes. I've been trying to get these all posted on one site for quite a few years, finally got it accomplished. Everything from daily drivers to show pieces. Of all of them probably my favorite is the '75 Grand Jubile
motogeek is offline  
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-15-22, 10:57 PM
  #274  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek

'75 Grand Jubile, I swapped out the long cage Jubilee RD for a Huret Duopar and larger rear sprockets to give me a wider range

Mint 74 Grand Record. This beautiful bike looks like it just rolled off the show room floor.

My wife's matching Grand Jubile mixte

'75 Grand Record that some previous owner put "safety levers" on. Just haven't taken the time to swap them out with something else yet

'73 Le Champion I bought from original owner from near Lake Tahoe. He used to race on it and also did a crosss country tour on it. Has marks on stays from a Pletcher-type rear rack. Plenty of patia on this old thoroughbred

'75 Grand Record that I had Gugie braze on some cantilever studs. I've accumulated nearly all the pieces I need to create an all-French randonneur bike, just trying to decide on paint

'72 Grand Record. Totally (except pedals) Campy, including hard to find French Campy parts (HS, BB,seat post.)



So here is my collection of Motobecanes. I've been trying to get these all posted on one site for quite a few years, finally got it accomplished. Everything from daily drivers to show pieces. Of all of them probably my favorite is the '75 Grand Jubile
Beautiful man!
52telecaster is offline  
Old 07-16-22, 03:18 AM
  #275  
Newbie
 
Beurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Annecy, French Alps
Posts: 26

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts
Here is my unknown model 50's randonneur as found, poorly painted in gold with bent fork and Peugeot decals:

It's missing both lights and dynamo a period correct leather seat new tires cables pads grease and a pump


Clearly a Motobecane despite the Peugeot decals The fork is bent as well as the down tube which is exaggerated by the picture. I was only able to straighten the fork stearer tube

And here is the bike now:

The fenders are probably not original but they are in decent condition. The leather seat is a period correct Motobecane. I changed all spokes and cables, repacked all bearings with fresh grease and new balls, but I need to source a pump in the correct length. Bother lights are LED equiped soubitez and radio powered by a dynamo, more powerful than old bulbs.
The racks were the only part kept gold.
For the frame, I went back to bare metal, applied stencils and cold blue treatment before varnish.

Headtube

Downtube
It's a sweet and comfy ride, and I love the derailleurs, the front one is a "suicide" one operated by a lever rather than a cable, the rear one is an early Huret tourist compact, cable operated that works in the opposite direction compared to modern ones, more tension to move the chain down to smaller cogs.
I've also restored an interclub tandem, but this one being too tall for me to ride is used by the younger couple in the house and they are loving it.
Beurt is offline  
Likes For Beurt:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.