Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Old 08-23-20, 08:04 AM
  #451  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Excellent deal IMO

I got over $600 from selling the original parts from my Cimarron. So it's possible you could make money on this purchase. Mine was older and included the valuable Suntour "Beartrap" pedals.

On the other hand, it would cost well over $500 to acquire these parts in good condition.

Cheers,
Oliver H.

Originally Posted by thumpism
I posted this in the Looking thread but the ad is still up, for all you Cimarronistas. Not cheap.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...172366736.html

Vintage schwinn cimmaron beautiful timecapsule mtb mountain bike - $450




bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: mountain
frame size: 49 cm
wheel size: 26 in
All original . Nitto bars and stem. Full deore xt even pedals and hubs. Great condition from 87
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 08:15 AM
  #452  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
89 Cimarron
Wait a minute. Are we to understand that you are in possession of a New In Box '89 Cimarron?!

My '86 is a 26.6mm seatpost. Come to find out, they're pretty uncommon, especially if you want a long one that's not $$$. I sanded a 26.8 to fit.

- Oliver H.
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 08:57 AM
  #453  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
New new

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Wait a minute. Are we to understand that you are in possession of a New In Box '89 Cimarron?!

My '86 is a 26.6mm seatpost. Come to find out, they're pretty uncommon, especially if you want a long one that's not $$$. I sanded a 26.8 to fit.

- Oliver H.
Yup. It’s new in the box. I can’t believe it.

I ended up finding a 26.6 nitto post for not too much. What size is the stem?
gravelinmygears is offline  
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-23-20, 10:00 AM
  #454  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
Yup. It’s new in the box. I can’t believe it.

I ended up finding a 26.6 nitto post for not too much. What size is the stem?
Ooo. I'd love to see that post. Is it from the 80's? I'm not aware that Nitto makes any that size currently....

The stem on my Cimarron, which is one of the few original parts I kept is a Suntour XC. Aluminum extension and steel quill shaft. It's for a 1" steerer tube -- quill shaft is 22.2mm, pretty sure.

- Oliver H.
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 10:52 AM
  #455  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
Nitto

It’s my understanding that Nitto will make any size post these days if a vendor orders 50 of them. That’s what Rivendell does for their bikes.

Because of the chrome fork, I’ll probably do a black stem and bar. I scrolled back a bit and saw that the bike came with a 130mm stem.


Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Ooo. I'd love to see that post. Is it from the 80's? I'm not aware that Nitto makes any that size currently....

The stem on my Cimarron, which is one of the few original parts I kept is a Suntour XC. Aluminum extension and steel quill shaft. It's for a 1" steerer tube -- quill shaft is 22.2mm, pretty sure.

- Oliver H.
gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 11:48 AM
  #456  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
I got over $600 from selling the original parts from my Cimarron. So it's possible you could make money on this purchase. Mine was older and included the valuable Suntour "Beartrap" pedals.
I've never been a fan of stripping a bike in order to sell its parts. My own Cimarron was built up from a frameset with parts I already had and wanted on it. If I wanted original parts then buying the red one might be the way but I'm not interested. I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
thumpism is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 12:46 PM
  #457  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I've never been a fan of stripping a bike in order to sell its parts. My own Cimarron was built up from a frameset with parts I already had and wanted on it. If I wanted original parts then buying the red one might be the way but I'm not interested. I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
thumpism , I feel the same way about stripping a frame, actually. I took delivery of my Cimarron in Feb, intending to keep the parts. Then our household income fell to zero when the pandemic set in (we're both singers). So, in this case, selling the parts, which were in excellent condition, made the most sense. The part I most regretted selling was the original XT crank. Mint condition, and the aluminum Biopace rings had next to no wear!

Cheers,
Oliver H.
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 01:06 PM
  #458  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
thumpism , I feel the same way about stripping a frame, actually. I took delivery of my Cimarron in Feb, intending to keep the parts. Then our household income fell to zero when the pandemic set in (we're both singers). So, in this case, selling the parts, which were in excellent condition, made the most sense. The part I most regretted selling was the original XT crank. Mint condition, and the aluminum Biopace rings had next to no wear!.
Sorry for your situation. Did not mean to imply that parts strippers are the moral equivalent of puppy kickers or the like. We've been extremely fortunate to have very little discomfort or inconvenience during the pandemic and we do not condemn someone for doing what must be done to survive in such conditions. Good luck!
thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-24-20, 09:01 AM
  #459  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
No worries, thumpism . I'm aware that parting out a bike is not going to be popular, especially on a thread about a vintage bike! I wanted to share my experience for informational purposes. I was surprised to discover how much the parts were worth from my old Cimarron. Some parts I don't miss were those clunky old first gen XT levers, though!

BTW, have you posted photos of your bikes anywhere? I'd love to see your Paramount and Nishiki!

- Oliver H.
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-24-20, 12:28 PM
  #460  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
I like that, but I must confess to be guilty of Cimalust. When I got my Cim only the stem needed to be replaced, and I found that here on BF, but it was missing the little SunTour button. I think I got it from Mountain Dave; but a few weeks later he found the button and sent it to me. Rejoice!

But the seat post was missing some hardware and I had to cobble together a fix. It works and it looks fine until you take a close look under the seat - it is a cludge. I would love to find either the hardware or a decent replacement.
dweenk is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 09:49 AM
  #461  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
No worries, thumpism .

BTW, have you posted photos of your bikes anywhere? I'd love to see your Paramount and Nishiki!
The Paramount is in a couple and the Nishiki in a couple more, but I'll post two quick ones here for you.

thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-27-20, 11:44 AM
  #462  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
What is the rear spacing on the 89? My frame doesn't arrive until tomorrow but I have an opportunity to get some wheels today.
gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 08-28-20, 10:37 AM
  #463  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
My '86 was 130mm, but that was smack in the era of the transition to 135mm. I wouldn't be surprised if your '89 is 135mm. If the wheels are 135mm and you really like them, I wouldn't hesitate.

- Oliver H.
countalmaviva is offline  
Old 08-29-20, 04:59 PM
  #464  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
It is most definitely 130mm. The 135 just couldn’t get in there.

For those who were witness to the auction, the frame is definitely not “new in box.” There was a crank and rear derailleur installed at one point that took off paint. There are nicks in the paint throughout and they shipped the frame with the fork taped to it. It ground into the rear dropout and shaved off some paint.

And it turns out that it has a 22” seat tube. Not a 20.

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
My '86 was 130mm, but that was smack in the era of the transition to 135mm. I wouldn't be surprised if your '89 is 135mm. If the wheels are 135mm and you really like them, I wouldn't hesitate.

- Oliver H.

Last edited by gravelinmygears; 08-29-20 at 05:51 PM.
gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 08-30-20, 12:25 PM
  #465  
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,798

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Liked 1,616 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
I got over $600 from selling the original parts from my Cimarron. So it's possible you could make money on this purchase. Mine was older and included the valuable Suntour "Beartrap" pedals.

On the other hand, it would cost well over $500 to acquire these parts in good condition.

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Crap, I think that's my size. The ad, at least, is still up. I'm very glad it's on the wrong end of the continent, because I do. not. need. another bike.
Korina is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 05:32 PM
  #466  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
22” Cimarron

If anyone’s following the story, the smoky red cimarron that was won on eBay has been returned to the seller. So if you’re looking for a 22” Cimarron frame, I imagine it will be up for sale this coming week.
gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 08:26 PM
  #467  
rain dog
 
mainstreetexile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern PA
Posts: 776
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
If anyone’s following the story, the smoky red cimarron that was won on eBay has been returned to the seller. So if you’re looking for a 22” Cimarron frame, I imagine it will be up for sale this coming week.
Why did you end up returning it? Hadn't checked into this thread for a bit, but I was watching the auctions for that and the paramountain.
mainstreetexile is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 08:44 PM
  #468  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 275

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
The ad said it had a 20” seat tube and that it was new in box. It turned out that it was a 22” and had obviously been built before.
gravelinmygears is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 11:54 AM
  #469  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 24
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I figured I should chime in and say the frame is on its road to recovery! New seat stays getting brazed on, and the rear hub spacing is going up to 135mm, too for a more modern hub! Not really necessary as 48-38-28 x 14-32 is all the gears I'd need, but it's a fun chance to build a new wheelset for the first time! Got some rim brake Stans 355s from a buddy and may be nabbing some XTR M950 hubs this weekend. Very jazzed.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-an-ex...ibl-1845103584

Also getting mounts for a lowrider rack for the front (my fork has no eyelets, as I've seen on a few Cimarrons) so I'll be able to do some touring on it!
orloved is offline  
Likes For orloved:
Old 10-02-20, 08:41 PM
  #470  
Senior Member
 
daverup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 967

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Liked 974 Times in 460 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
I figured I should chime in and say the frame is on its road to recovery! New seat stays getting brazed on, and the rear hub spacing is going up to 135mm, too for a more modern hub! Not really necessary as 48-38-28 x 14-32 is all the gears I'd need, but it's a fun chance to build a new wheelset for the first time! Got some rim brake Stans 355s from a buddy and may be nabbing some XTR M950 hubs this weekend. Very jazzed.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-an-ex...ibl-1845103584

Also getting mounts for a lowrider rack for the front (my fork has no eyelets, as I've seen on a few Cimarrons) so I'll be able to do some touring on it!
I'm looking forward to pictures when you get it back together again.
Have fun with the wheel building. I've just finished my first wheel set build for a road bike. Sheldon Brown wheel building pages were a big help. For me the hardest part was making sure I got the spoke lengths calculated correctly. I don't have any real options besides ordering spokes, and was happy that I didn't foul that up.
Dave
daverup is offline  
Old 10-04-20, 06:40 PM
  #471  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
orloved I ended up adding the same repair on my Cimarron. My original problem was a cracked BB shell. The only frame builder I found to agree to the repair was Jack Trumbull of Franklin Frames in Ohio. In the process, he found that the seat stays were not well-attached at the seat junction, just like yours!

The new repairs are immaculate. I highly recommend Jack if other folks want to pursue a difficult repair.


Cheers,
Oliver H.

Originally Posted by orloved
I figured I should chime in and say the frame is on its road to recovery! New seat stays getting brazed on, and the rear hub spacing is going up to 135mm, too for a more modern hub! Not really necessary as 48-38-28 x 14-32 is all the gears I'd need, but it's a fun chance to build a new wheelset for the first time! Got some rim brake Stans 355s from a buddy and may be nabbing some XTR M950 hubs this weekend. Very jazzed.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-an-ex...ibl-1845103584

Also getting mounts for a lowrider rack for the front (my fork has no eyelets, as I've seen on a few Cimarrons) so I'll be able to do some touring on it!
countalmaviva is offline  
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-21-20, 02:24 PM
  #472  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 514
Liked 323 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
The ad said it had a 20” seat tube and that it was new in box. It turned out that it was a 22” and had obviously been built before.
I think this is the very same frame that I just purchased. It has some shelf wear for sure, but it is my size.the small chips don’t bother me too much. The fork/steerer tube was a tight fit...

I think I have all the parts in the bin to build it out except the seatpost. I think it is 26.8mm but my micrometer broke so I can’t tell for sure.






LBCwanabe is offline  
Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 11-22-20, 04:10 PM
  #473  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 24
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
if you're curious, my seatpost is a 26.6, as are all the other things I've seen about Cimarrons! I'd be surprised if it changed.
orloved is offline  
Old 11-23-20, 09:31 AM
  #474  
Junior Member
 
countalmaviva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 120

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Cimarron at Cimarron!

The name of the road is Cimarron, but there was no street sign. This is in Westchester County, NY.

countalmaviva is offline  
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-27-20, 06:14 PM
  #475  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 514
Liked 323 Times in 132 Posts
Built



LBCwanabe is offline  
Likes For LBCwanabe:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.