Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Stumpjumper Sport - handlebar question (photo heavy)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1983 Stumpjumper Sport - handlebar question (photo heavy)

Old 07-23-14, 03:26 PM
  #1  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
1983 Stumpjumper Sport - handlebar question (photo heavy)

Hello all,

I have a quick question for the Stumpjumper experts...

Could you please tell me which Nitto riser bar came stock with the Stumpjumper "Putterhead" quill stem on a standard model Stumpjumper?

I recently volunteered to take on a small 1983 Stumpjumper Sport, a family member bought it new while attending college in San Diego. The Stumpjuimper has sat neglected in a garage minus a handlebar for the past twenty years. The bike is in stock condition minus the original tires, chain, housing, and grips. No one can recall the where and why the handlebar went missing. The bar and stem combination was ordered special, my cousin thought the Bullmoose bars were ugly, and being he was a BMX racer he wanted the versatility of changing out the bars. The end result being this particular Stumpjumper Sport was ordered with the standard Stumpjumper bar and stem set up instead of the stock Bullmoose bars. The vintage BMX bars pictured on the bike were the only bars available that would fit the 22.2 clamp on the Nitto "Putterhead" stem. I'm really impressed with the micro-adjust rear drop outs on the Sport model versus the vertical drops on the standard that I'm more familiar with. I had a 1982 Stumpjumper that I picked up a few years ago, that bike had the same bar and stem set up, so I have an idea what I'm after but I don't know the correct Nitto model number. Unfortunately, I traded that bike away in a package deal, otherwise I'd know what I was after and I wouldn't take up forum space asking for a part number.

Any Stumpjumper experts that know what model Nitto riser bar that came with the Nitto "Putterhead" quill stem?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,

-D-

p.s. The first photo is my '82 with the Nitto bar and stem set up that I'm trying complete, the other photos are the '83 Sport.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
82_Stumpjumper_NittoBarStem.jpg (101.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_putterhead.jpg (85.3 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_quill.jpg (83.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_SportLogo.jpg (87.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_Mountech.jpg (90.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_SuginoAT.jpg (87.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_Tioga.jpg (80.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_Surefoot.jpg (84.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stmpjumper_levers.jpg (89.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg
83Stumpjumper_Avocet.jpg (98.9 KB, 200 views)
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 03:58 PM
  #2  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


Oops... forgot to add the photo of the complete bike, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1983_Stumpjumper_Sport.jpg (104.0 KB, 271 views)
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 04:28 PM
  #3  
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have one of those stems, may have the bars too.....I'll check tonight.
Iowegian is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 04:53 PM
  #4  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,087

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 630 Posts
Mine is an 84 and came with the Bullmoose.

It's also interesting that you've got the Sugino AT crank- I'd think that was higher end than the Sport. Mine has a Takagi Tourney XT. Most of the rest of it looks the same

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 07-23-14 at 05:13 PM.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 05:54 PM
  #5  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
I have one of those stems, may have the bars too.....I'll check tonight.
Right on Iowegian, I appreciate you looking into it, thanks!

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
Mine is an 84 and came with the Bullmoose.

It's also interesting that you've got the Sugino AT crank- I'd think that was higher end than the Sport. Mine has a Takagi Tourney XT. Most of the rest of it looks the same
I can't speak to the Sugino AT versus your Takagi Tourney XT crank, I haven't look into the Sport model too heavily. My '82 Stumpjumper came with a T.A. Specialites crank.



Here's the frustrating part for me, I've looked online but there seems to be a built in variety of parts used depending on the volume of parts available at the time.

Here is a vintage Nitto bar that I think is the same, it has the same 22.2 clamp and the pair of Nitto logos look correct. If it is the correct bar, at least I'll know but there's no way I would pay $81.00 for a used riser bar... my cousin's old BMX bar can keep holing the levers for now!

Vtg Nitto B801 Mountain Bike Riser Bars Klunker 22 2 Clamp Slingshot Shim 25 4 | eBay

VTG Nitto B801 mountain bike riser bars klunker 22.2 clamp slingshot shim 25.4

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vintage_Nitto.jpg (98.6 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg
1982_Stumpjumper_TAcrank.jpg (32.7 KB, 183 views)
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 07:28 PM
  #6  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 129 Posts
Our stock 1983 Stumpjumper Sport for reference.

[IMG]DSCN2449 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
gomango is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 09:32 PM
  #7  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Our stock 1983 Stumpjumper Sport for reference.

[IMG]DSCN2449 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Thanks gomango!

The Avocet saddle with SR Laprade seatpost match, the Sugino AT crank with Tioga SureFoot pedals are the same, and those look like BR-MC70 cantilever brake calipers. Can you do a quick check of the your front and rear derailleurs for me? I can already see that your Stumpjumper has the "Deerhead" XT thumb shifters (my favorite and the best thumb shifters ever made) as opposed to the Suntour Power Ratchet thumb shifters.

Given the similarities and minor differences, does this support the theory that Specialized built bikes with whatever parts were on hand?

Are there any other '83 Stumpjumper Sport owners that can add some details to the mix? C'mon, jump in, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again gomango, I look forward to your reply!

-D-
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 09:50 PM
  #8  
acoffin 
Senior Member
 
acoffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 608

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post

Given the similarities and minor differences, does this support the theory that Specialized built bikes with whatever parts were on hand?

Are there any other '83 Stumpjumper Sport owners that can add some details to the mix? C'mon, jump in, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again gomango, I look forward to your reply!

-D-
I have a Stumpy Sport in the same blue as yours. It's stashed away and I don't have any pictures, sorry. The Build is Sugino AT crank, Mountech rd, AG Tech fd, Suntour ratcheting thumbs, Shimano brake levers and calipers on a Bullmoose bar.
acoffin is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 10:20 PM
  #9  
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have 2 bars but they are both branded Specialized although I would guess they were made by Nitto. One is marked W635 on the end of the bar and the other is marked X-1 in the center of the bar. Both are branded 'Specialized' in the center of the bar. Both bars are 22.2mm.

The W635 bar looks like the B801 in the ebay ad, the X-1 looks more like the one on your 82. The W635 is more 'boxy' while the X-1 is a bit more swept back. I'll try to get some pic's when time permits.

The X-1 bar is on a dead stock 85 Sport that still has at least one grip. I might have the other grip as well. Let me know if they would be of use to you....

Edit to add: It appears after a quick google search that the W635 is the width of the bar, not the model. This ad was for a bar that was stamped with both B801 and W635. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nitt...-/201048091061

Last edited by Iowegian; 07-23-14 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add more
Iowegian is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 10:25 PM
  #10  
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士
 
oldskoolwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado USA
Posts: 898

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had to jump into the DeLorean and go back; WAY back to find this photo...



My '84 Stumpjumper Sport with Bullmoose bars, Tomaselli brake levers, Deerhead XT shifters. AT crank, Mountech derailleurs F/R, Deerhead XT canti's.

FWIW... photo taken on top of Pearl Pass, 1984 Fat Tire Bike Week.

Specialized also made the X-1+2 handlebar, which swept back even more than the X-1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
scan0001.jpg (74.2 KB, 641 views)

Last edited by oldskoolwrench; 07-23-14 at 10:31 PM.
oldskoolwrench is offline  
Old 07-23-14, 10:43 PM
  #11  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 40,146

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 493 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6996 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,073 Posts


That's an amazing photo!
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 01:10 AM
  #12  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks guys for the great replies, solid info that I can use as I finish this project!

acoffin - right on, your reply is what I was hoping for, someone with the same bike and matching components. Perfect!

Iowegian - I really appreciate the prompt follow up, now I have a starting point with what to look for. Thanks!

Oldskool - It's always a welcome you post, sort of like when T-Mar got involved, excellent photo!!!
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 01:50 AM
  #13  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,678

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 332 Posts
None of these had a stock type quill stem some of the early ones had BMX stem with short rise 24 type bars. Most had midium reach Bullmouse Victor types bars. Both are pretty pricey if you don't have them likely more than the cost of the bike. I would consider a 1 to 1 1/8th quill to threadless type adaptor then you well have nearly endless stem bar options.

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-24-14 at 01:53 AM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 08:09 AM
  #14  
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 7,079

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Our stock 1983 Stumpjumper Sport for reference.

[IMG]DSCN2449 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have one of those in the basement in pieces. Love the bike but the paint is kind of boring.
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 09:24 AM
  #15  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
I have one of those in the basement in pieces. Love the bike but the paint is kind of boring.
Definitely utilitarian paint, but I think it fits the bike pretty well.

FWIW This has turned into my wife's favorite around town cruiser. We put on some Schwalbe Fat Franks and man, can she motor with those tires.

Also, the front derailleur is a Suntour Alpine Gear Tech and the rear is a Suntour XC Sport. They continue to function like new after all these years. Tough stuff.
gomango is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 09:57 AM
  #16  
CMC SanDiego
Senior Member
 
CMC SanDiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 745

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ive got an 83 or 84 sport with the same BMX stem and some specialized labeled bars. I'll see if I can find a photo.
CMC SanDiego is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 09:59 AM
  #17  
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 7,079

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Definitely utilitarian paint, but I think it fits the bike pretty well.

FWIW This has turned into my wife's favorite around town cruiser. We put on some Schwalbe Fat Franks and man, can she motor with those tires.

Also, the front derailleur is a Suntour Alpine Gear Tech and the rear is a Suntour XC Sport. They continue to function like new after all these years. Tough stuff.
For some reason I thought they had a Mountech rear derailleur. You're right though. Unless they were beat to death most still function very well.

Ritcheys of the era had nicer paint. They used to paint the Bull Moose bars to match the frame which was a nice touch.
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 10:17 AM
  #18  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
For some reason I thought they had a Mountech rear derailleur. You're right though. Unless they were beat to death most still function very well.

Ritcheys of the era had nicer paint. They used to paint the Bull Moose bars to match the frame which was a nice touch.
Absolutely correct on the Ritcheys.

My brother still has two from that era and they are special mtbs.

Sooo functional, yet loads of charm.
gomango is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 10:58 AM
  #19  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,333 Times in 841 Posts
S-J Sport was 2nd tier.. But Adequate .. 5th post .. is the then top line S-J model ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 10:59 AM
  #20  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
None of these had a stock type quill stem some of the early ones had BMX stem with short rise 24 type bars. Most had midium reach Bullmouse Victor types bars. Both are pretty pricey if you don't have them likely more than the cost of the bike. I would consider a 1 to 1 1/8th quill to threadless type adaptor then you well have nearly endless stem bar options.
Thanks zukahn1, I appreciate the info. I know the Sport came with the Bullmoose bars but my cousin special ordered this Sport to come with the "Stumpjumper" quill stem pictured in the 2nd and 3rd photos in my initial posting. I just want to find the matching riser bar that would have come with that stem, it's the same stem and bar set up that came on the higher end standard Stumpjumper. My cousin's dad, my uncle, was big on mountain biking when it was just getting going, his first bike was a custom order Ritchey ('80 Everest, I think) to go along with his custom Ritchey road bike('79, I know the road bike was 1 year older than the mountain bike). When his LBS got word about a production bike that was said to be similar to his Ritchey he bought one. My uncle still has one of the original 500 Stumpjumpers that were tig welded and he also has an '82 with lugged construction. In his words, neither Stumpjumper can hold a candle to the Ritchey, but they great bikes for the money. The original tig welded model is "a slug with no life" but the '82 lugged Stumpjumper has "spring and lively feel" similar to his Ritchey.

Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Also, the front derailleur is a Suntour Alpine Gear Tech and the rear is a Suntour XC Sport. They continue to function like new after all these years. Tough stuff.
Thanks gomango for the parts update! We share the front but not the rear derailleur. It would appear that these bikes did support a variety of parts, mostly the same but some differences. I read a few threads last night on MTBR that had similar findings.

On a different note, that's great that Mrs. Gomango loves the bike! I'm glad people are riding and enjoying these bikes, the comfort and quality after all these years really says a lot about these gems. I too have much love for the Fat Frank tires! The tread design is super cool looking and it does an awesome on the pavement and in the dirt. The Fat Franks are fast rollers and hook up beautifully, the smooth ride provided by the 2.35 size is like riding on a cloud... a really fast cloud!

Here's my recent '88 Cimarron LE build:



Thanks again guys for the help, I really appreciate all the effort!

-D-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
88_Cimarron_side.jpg (102.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg
88_Cimarron_Peace.jpg (99.8 KB, 198 views)
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 11:19 AM
  #21  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
Thanks zukahn1, I appreciate the info. I know the Sport came with the Bullmoose bars but my cousin special ordered this Sport to come with the "Stumpjumper" quill stem pictured in the 2nd and 3rd photos in my initial posting. I just want to find the matching riser bar that would have come with that stem, it's the same stem and bar set up that came on the higher end standard Stumpjumper. My cousin's dad, my uncle, was big on mountain biking when it was just getting going, his first bike was a custom order Ritchey ('80 Everest, I think) to go along with his custom Ritchey road bike('79, I know the road bike was 1 year older than the mountain bike). When his LBS got word about a production bike that was said to be similar to his Ritchey he bought one. My uncle still has one of the original 500 Stumpjumpers that were tig welded and he also has an '82 with lugged construction. In his words, neither Stumpjumper can hold a candle to the Ritchey, but they great bikes for the money. The original tig welded model is "a slug with no life" but the '82 lugged Stumpjumper has "spring and lively feel" similar to his Ritchey.



Thanks gomango for the parts update! We share the front but not the rear derailleur. It would appear that these bikes did support a variety of parts, mostly the same but some differences. I read a few threads last night on MTBR that had similar findings.

On a different note, that's great that Mrs. Gomango loves the bike! I'm glad people are riding and enjoying these bikes, the comfort and quality after all these years really says a lot about these gems. I too have much love for the Fat Frank tires! The tread design is super cool looking and it does an awesome on the pavement and in the dirt. The Fat Franks are fast rollers and hook up beautifully, the smooth ride provided by the 2.35 size is like riding on a cloud... a really fast cloud!

Here's my recent '88 Cimarron LE build:



Thanks again guys for the help, I really appreciate all the effort!

-D-
Looking good on the Cimarron.

I just picked up a set of Continental Retro Rides for a little project when I get home from Canada.

The boys picked up a Yeti ARC and a MB-2 last weekend.

Let's see what I can cook up with those tires.
gomango is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 12:10 PM
  #22  
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Looking good on the Cimarron.

I just picked up a set of Continental Retro Rides for a little project when I get home from Canada.

The boys picked up a Yeti ARC and a MB-2 last weekend.

Let's see what I can cook up with those tires.
Thanks for the kind word about the Cimarron, I'm lovin' the bike, it's a blast to ride!

I'm looking forward to seeing what bike gets blessed with those tires! Any prospects that you'd care to share?

What Yeti A.R.C. did your son pick up? I had a '93 and '95 A.R.C., easily the best hardtail I ever owned, hands down and no question it was a pure race bike! A cousin of mine always asked to borrow the '93 to hit the trails behind my home when he and the family visited. I gave him the bike as a high school graduation present. It's worked out great, he is still racing cross country and podiums top 5 most times, the A.R.C. is the only vintage bike in the race.
neo_pop_71 is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 01:02 PM
  #23  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
Thanks for the kind word about the Cimarron, I'm lovin' the bike, it's a blast to ride!

I'm looking forward to seeing what bike gets blessed with those tires! Any prospects that you'd care to share?

What Yeti A.R.C. did your son pick up? I had a '93 and '95 A.R.C., easily the best hardtail I ever owned, hands down and no question it was a pure race bike! A cousin of mine always asked to borrow the '93 to hit the trails behind my home when he and the family visited. I gave him the bike as a high school graduation present. It's worked out great, he is still racing cross country and podiums top 5 most times, the A.R.C. is the only vintage bike in the race.
Purely a guess, but I think it's a 1996.

Blue and yellow.

Looks like it is all XT. Doesn't look like it has been touched for a decade+, but sometimes that's better.

Seals are bad on the shocks, but I can jump that hurdle.
gomango is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 04:18 PM
  #24  
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
My uncle still has one of the original 500 Stumpjumpers that were tig welded and he also has an '82 with lugged construction. In his words, neither Stumpjumper can hold a candle to the Ritchey, but they great bikes for the money. The original tig welded model is "a slug with no life" but the '82 lugged Stumpjumper has "spring and lively feel" similar to his Ritchey.
I had one of the '500' pass through my hands and I have to agree that it was nothing special. I guess that's when I learned I'm not a real collector since while it was easily the most collectable bike I've ever owned, it was not one I enjoyed riding so away it went. It's still local and I occasionally run into the new owner and he really digs it so it was a win/win. Now, if it was an 82 Ritchey I do think I would have kept it.....

Last edited by Iowegian; 07-24-14 at 04:30 PM.
Iowegian is offline  
Old 07-24-14, 05:02 PM
  #25  
m3rle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 59

Bikes: 1990 Specialized StumpJumper 1970 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great looking bikes. My SJ's are late 80 early 90. Would love to ride an '82 to see how it goes. Your Cimarron looks awesome. Fillet brazed up front, how does it ride? I guess riding a Ritchey would be great but it would make riding anything lesser un-fun. Good luck on the resto.
m3rle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.