Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   AR Cycles Randonneuse *Warning: Photo Intensive, with more to come!* (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/974766-ar-cycles-randonneuse-warning-photo-intensive-more-come.html)

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 11:41 AM

AR Cycles Randonneuse *Warning: Photo Intensive, with more to come!*
 
I recently commissioned a frame from Aaron of AR Cycles and Christmas done came early. Frameset arrived last night and I got a bit done. Mainly polished parts, should have done this beforehand.

Frame is Columbus Spirit for lugs, fork is SL, lugs are Sachs Rene Singer, Pacenti Paris Brest fork crown, and Sachs Richie-ssimo BB shell.

I'm trying to decide which group to run:

Universal Parts List:
Stronglight 49D
Pacenti PL23
Grand Bois Hetres
Grand Bois fenders by Honjo
Nitto M12, looking into M13
Zefal pump
Stronglight A9
Lepper stem
GB randonneur bars
Brooks B17 Select (wouldn't hate an Ideale)
Radios taillight with retrofitted modern internals that will be mounted to ST mount
B&M IQ Cyo headlight (have a Radios headlight I may stick this into)


Option 1 (as partially shown):
DA 7400 brifters
Mavic 841 & 8 860 derailleurs
Paul canti's
Mavic 571/2 rear hub

Option 2:
Huret Jubilee derailleurs
Simplex Retrofrictions
old French cantilevers (look like Mafac's except the arms are forged)
Mafac levers
Maillard 700 or Campagnolo Tipo rear hub

I'm going to run the brifter setup first as this will be a daily rider. Maybe I need another frame with center-pull braze ons with the new compass brakes and rack ;)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3930/...e05be9e0_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/...c6a7afc3_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/...bd773b8b_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/...65f88ee7_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/...c775288d_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/...85f21642_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2941/...8ed15c1d_b.jpg

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 11:41 AM

Here is a bag I'm making for it; I still need to bind the edges in leather. I will also be making low riders.


https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/...17c148f7_b.jpg


https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/...4075e737_b.jpg


https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/...5ba39a40_b.jpg


https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/...a90668c3_b.jpg

sloar 10-02-14 11:50 AM

Beautiful bike, I love that color. Nice work on the bags also. Can't wait to see it finished.

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 12:01 PM

Thanks! I couldn't be more pleased with the color. I still need to bind the edges of the bag, but it's close. The low riders have yet to be started.

belacqua 10-02-14 12:44 PM

I like it. Can you tell us about frameset?

Lascauxcaveman 10-02-14 01:20 PM

And you can color me a teensy bit jealous. :thumb:

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by belacqua (Post 17181597)
I like it. Can you tell us about frameset?

I met the builder through the Velospace forums, username 8Aaron8. He has a build thread on there and has a Flickr. He's does it on the side and is mainly word of mouth right now. He does great work and I was happy to support him. We were in communication the entire time, probably sent over 300 emails back and forth. Turns out gmail starts a new thread after 100 haha.

Frame is Columbus Spirit for lugs, fork is SL, lugs are Sachs Rene Singer, Pacenti Paris Brest fork crown, and Sachs BB shell.

He was great to work with. I'm very particular and he put up with it quite well.


Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 17181714)
And you can color me a teensy bit jealous. :thumb:

Haha I'm still in heavy excitement. I have long legs and a short torso so it's hard to find frames that fit. It will be nice having one fit to me.

Sir_Name 10-02-14 02:30 PM

Wow. Congrats - that's a dream right there.

redcaymatt 10-02-14 02:47 PM

great looking frame and very nice color. I'd go option 2. Nice work on the bag.

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 03:05 PM

Thanks all.

If I were going for aesthetics alone option two would be the only option. I currently have no bikes with brifters, nor have I really ever, so part of me wants to give it a go.

The Golden Boy 10-02-14 03:07 PM

That bike looks fantastic! I REALLY love that fork crown. You seem 'out of breath, super chatty, giddy excited' about this- as I would be as well. No matter how you build that up, it's going to look sweet.

Congratulations!

The Golden Boy 10-02-14 03:08 PM


Originally Posted by vqstaphbeard (Post 17182045)
Thanks all.

If I were going for aesthetics alone option two would be the only option. I currently have no bikes with brifters, nor have I really ever, so part of me wants to give it a go.

Suntour Command Shifters and XC Pro RD... *nudge nudge **wink wink*

belacqua 10-02-14 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by vqstaphbeard (Post 17181829)
Frame is Columbus Spirit for lugs, fork is SL, lugs are Sachs Rene Singer, Pacenti Paris Brest fork crown, and Sachs BB shell.

Very nice

rootboy 10-02-14 04:30 PM

Beautiful bike. Whatdoyou call that color, anyway? Split Pea soup? I like it.

Your skills are really showing on that bag. Great work.

rootboy 10-02-14 04:33 PM

…but, what's with that steerer tube sticking up out of the headset lock nut?
Or is that a sleeve of some sort?

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 05:56 PM


Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 17182049)
That bike looks fantastic! I REALLY love that fork crown. You seem 'out of breath, super chatty, giddy excited' about this- as I would be as well. No matter how you build that up, it's going to look sweet.

Congratulations!

Suntour Command Shifters and XC Pro RD... *nudge nudge **wink wink*

Thanks, I am very excited indeed. I've never tried the command shifters, but they seem cool. I'd like to give them a go sometime.


Originally Posted by rootboy (Post 17182260)
Beautiful bike. Whatdoyou call that color, anyway? Split Pea soup? I like it.

Your skills are really showing on that bag. Great work.

…but, what's with that steerer tube sticking up out of the headset lock nut?
Or is that a sleeve of some sort?

It has an exotic name...RAL 6011 haha. Acording wiki it's Reseda green. Thanks on the bag. I've made a few now and been tailoring my colthes for years so the bags are a nice change from that.

haha, someone asked me about the headset, or "spacers" as he put it, on velospace. The headset wasn't installed yet in the photo, nor was the locknut. That's just extra steerer that will need trimmed off. I asked he leave extra so I could make sure I can squeeze all my goodies in there.

gomango 10-02-14 06:45 PM

Very nice.

Solid build plan and I love the color.

The frame details look nice and it will be fun to hear a ride report.

Do you just contact him through Velospace?

I have a question or two for him.

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 06:58 PM

Thanks!

You can pm him there and I know he is on the paceline forum as well. Not sure if he's on here. I'll ask him if it's alright to pass his email, then I could pm it to you.

gomango 10-02-14 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by vqstaphbeard (Post 17182611)
Thanks!

You can pm him there and I know he is on the paceline forum as well. Not sure if he's on here. I'll ask him if it's alright to pass his email, then I could pm it to you.

Thanks.

I spend more time on PL nowadays, so I should be able to find him pronto.

You have nice wood floors. :)

southpawboston 10-02-14 07:52 PM

That is looking to be a very classy build! Spirit tubing is *really* thin... and your frame is quite large. May I ask how much you weigh? Is the tubing OS or standard diameter?

Great work on the bag, too!

Can't wait to see the glamour shots when it's all done!

JAG410 10-02-14 08:04 PM

Wow, that is outstanding! Love the color. The bag is a work of art as well. Do you cut your own leather edge binding? I can't seem to find any online.

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 08:26 PM

Thanks all! I leave work at noon on Fridays, so I should have a nice day to work on it tomorrow.


Originally Posted by gomango (Post 17182658)
Thanks.

I spend more time on PL nowadays, so I should be able to find him pronto.

You have nice wood floors.

Good deal, I believe he has a build thread on there as well. Thanks on the floors :)


Originally Posted by southpawboston (Post 17182747)
That is looking to be a very classy build! Spirit tubing is *really* thin... and your frame is quite large. May I ask how much you weigh? Is the tubing OS or standard diameter?

Great work on the bag, too!

Can't wait to see the glamour shots when it's all done!

Yep, tis thin and big but I'm a light guy weighing in at a mean 127 lbs. Tubing is OS.


Originally Posted by JAG410 (Post 17182785)
Wow, that is outstanding! Love the color. The bag is a work of art as well. Do you cut your own leather edge binding? I can't seem to find any online.

I do cut my own. I looked fairly extensively as well to no avail. I use a yard stick and run an xacto knife down each edge to get a nice parallel strip.

Wildwood 10-02-14 08:43 PM

I would really like to ride a bike with lugged Spirit frameset.

With the Honjo fenders it is quite an eyecatcher, in an elegantly understated way.
Absolutely screams that the rider knew what they wanted and built it without compromise.

A good relationship with a builder is a wonderful thing.

Wildwood 10-02-14 08:52 PM

I'm guessing 62cm ctc with a 22 HT.

vqstaphbeard 10-02-14 09:15 PM


Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 17182901)
I would really like to ride a bike with lugged Spirit frameset.

With the Honjo fenders it is quite an eyecatcher, in an elegantly understated way.
Absolutely screams that the rider knew what they wanted and built it without compromise.

A good relationship with a builder is a wonderful thing.

I'm guessing 62cm ctc with a 22 HT.

Thanks for the kind words. It was definely a great experience. I was able to toss around ideas with him through the entire process and he was very responsive.

ST is 59 ctc, TT is 56 ctc, and HT is 19 cm with the extended head lug.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.