Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pantographing on Actual Race Bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pantographing on Actual Race Bikes

Old 12-18-14, 10:13 AM
  #1  
jeirvine 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,848

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 219 Posts
Pantographing on Actual Race Bikes

I know drillium was a thing back in the day to lighten race bikes. To what extent was pantographing something just for fancy consumer bikes, and how much was it done on actually raced bikes?
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Old 12-18-14, 10:38 AM
  #2  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,122
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked 1,690 Times in 1,242 Posts
It shows up but not on the whole teams often.
The guys who had it when I was racing, worked for the shop that sold the bike or had generous parents.
repechage is offline  
Old 12-18-14, 10:38 AM
  #3  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,441

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 259 Posts
Well mine's been getting a lot of screen time lately... I'm not sure if significant weight savings would be expected from drillium, with rare exception (Merckx's hour record bike comes to mind). I believe it was mostly for show rather than go. Significant material removal on any load bearing part may be for more limited use than a season of racing or everyday riding. Granted, many know more than I do.

In the 'actually raced bikes' category:






No drillium present.
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 12-18-14, 10:45 AM
  #4  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,441

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 259 Posts
An interesting Rebour illustration:
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 12-18-14, 01:25 PM
  #5  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,088

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name View Post
An interesting Rebour illustration:
IIRC, those drawings were of Merckx' Mexico City hour record bike with the Pino Moroni components, drillium, and other modifications.
JohnDThompson is online now  
Old 12-18-14, 01:54 PM
  #6  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,441

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
IIRC, those drawings were of Merckx' Mexico City hour record bike with the Pino Moroni components, drillium, and other modifications.
I believe so. Searching for 'Merckx hour record' led me to the illustration at least.
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 12-26-14, 02:19 PM
  #7  
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,935

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
It shows up but not on the whole teams often.
The guys who had it when I was racing, worked for the shop that sold the bike or had generous parents.
Gotta agree. Lots of, (maybe most), drillium was done by folks who were their own mechanics and liked to monkey around with their equipment. Pantographing, on the other hand required (much) more sophisticated tools.
Many shops that carried high end stuff didn't even stock pantographed bikes in the early to mid seventies.
Best regards, Eric
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 12-26-14, 02:37 PM
  #8  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,122
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked 1,690 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76 View Post
Gotta agree. Lots of, (maybe most), drillium was done by folks who were their own mechanics and liked to monkey around with their equipment. Pantographing, on the other hand required (much) more sophisticated tools.
Many shops that carried high end stuff didn't even stock pantographed bikes in the early to mid seventies.
Best regards, Eric
Over the holiday I watched La Course en Tete, (I left off the punctuation), youtube. Concentrating on the bikes. Eddy rode lots of variations, sometimes drilled calipers, and levers, shifters, milled seatposts, drilled chainrings, and these were on his road machines. Sometimes a Unicanitor, sometimes a Brooks Pro. Some frames with Spade pantographing, (Colner style spades). There were glimpses of others' machines, but of course the film was concentrating on Eddy. I first saw this film in 1975 in a movie theater on the 20th Century Fox lot, a member of the club had access to a copy and clearance to show it once, as a fund raiser for the club, this was when things were word of mouth only, it caused a serious traffic jam, way too many wanted to attend. Terrific to watch it with a bike racing centric audience, even with no subtitles it was outstanding.
repechage is offline  
Old 12-26-14, 11:08 PM
  #9  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,441

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
Over the holiday I watched La Course en Tete, (I left off the punctuation), youtube. Concentrating on the bikes. Eddy rode lots of variations, sometimes drilled calipers, and levers, shifters, milled seatposts, drilled chainrings, and these were on his road machines. Sometimes a Unicanitor, sometimes a Brooks Pro. Some frames with Spade pantographing, (Colner style spades). There were glimpses of others' machines, but of course the film was concentrating on Eddy. I first saw this film in 1975 in a movie theater on the 20th Century Fox lot, a member of the club had access to a copy and clearance to show it once, as a fund raiser for the club, this was when things were word of mouth only, it caused a serious traffic jam, way too many wanted to attend. Terrific to watch it with a bike racing centric audience, even with no subtitles it was outstanding.
Thanks for that - loved it.

Great idea for a thread. Hope others chime in.
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 12-27-14, 08:05 AM
  #10  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,282

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name View Post
Well mine's been getting a lot of screen time lately... I'm not sure if significant weight savings would be expected from drillium, with rare exception (Merckx's hour record bike comes to mind). I believe it was mostly for show rather than go. Significant material removal on any load bearing part may be for more limited use than a season of racing or everyday riding. Granted, many know more than I do.

In the 'actually raced bikes' category:






No drillium present.
What an elegant, classy ride.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-27-14, 08:16 AM
  #11  
JJScaliger
Senior Member
 
JJScaliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 58 Posts
Does it get any cooler than this?

1975 Cyclocross World Champion Roger De Vlaeminck?s Bike - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos


Last edited by JJScaliger; 12-27-14 at 08:26 AM.
JJScaliger is offline  
Old 12-27-14, 09:18 AM
  #12  
jeirvine 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,848

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger View Post
Does it get any cooler than this?
Nope. None cooler. Did not know RD was CX champ. It does appear from the article that this bike was not his actual race bike.
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
platypus
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
5146
01-28-22 07:49 PM
caloso
Classic & Vintage
32
05-09-13 07:23 PM
jtcastillo
Southern California
2
10-22-12 12:01 PM
2ndGen
Road Cycling
0
05-22-11 12:27 PM
elemental
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
119
01-11-10 03:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.