Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Old 04-07-19, 08:58 AM
  #1201  
Senior Member
 
Slightspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Liked 822 Times in 423 Posts
Here in Cambria for Eroica. Just doing the short coastal route on the old Legnano.

Short ride to work out the kinks from 4 hour drive.

Swap meet and concours.


Drillium water bottle.
Slightspeed is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 09:01 AM
  #1202  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Liked 260 Times in 144 Posts
Installed the decaleur on the Weigle project today.

I'm using the multi-colored (just about glows in the dark) Swift Ozette for now.

Bit of an eyesore, but super functional.

I want to get a ride in this morning before afternoon thunder hits.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 09:07 AM
  #1203  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Hmmmm.
Either Arabesque has some truly unusual design parameters, or those chainrings are all stacked on the wrong side of the arms....and the big one is incorrectly clocked.
Ok so it wasn't just me who was thinking -hmm odd
ryansu is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 09:12 AM
  #1204  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Shake down cruise on the 2019 clunker challenge - 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus. Rode it around the block yesterday after getting it from the co-op but this was 5 k and I still like it. I am usually a friction guy cause its easy and I'm lazy but when the SIS is set up and working sure I will use it -kinda nice.

ryansu is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 10:16 AM
  #1205  
Senior Member
 
deux jambes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,326
Liked 348 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Ok so it wasn't just me who was thinking -hmm odd
Is this better?



Very nice Trek btw! Looks like it needs nothing but to be ridden. To call that a clunker seems a bit of a stretch.
deux jambes is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 12:07 PM
  #1206  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes


Is this better?



Very nice Trek btw! Looks like it needs nothing but to be ridden. To call that a clunker seems a bit of a stretch.
That looks gorgeous! I am a sucker for Arabesque stuff. Thanks on the Trek yes I feel very fortunate it fell into my lap that kind of find is rare for me, it stands a very good chance of hanging around past 100km .
ryansu is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 01:33 PM
  #1207  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 22

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (retired), 2018 Trek 520

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wolber super champions M58

****I just realized I can't start a new thread with my low post count. Posted my question in most relevant existing thread....apologies for posting a different question here.

I've read volumes of wisdom on this forum but this is only my 3rd post....thank you! I need some wisdom on thinking through whether I need to consider replacing these rims.

I have a 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (original owner) with 27" Wolber Super Champions (original equipment). Rear is a 40 spoke, front 36. 6sp freewheel. Everything is original equipment. I'm a 215lb rider and have a Topeak MTX bag on the rear rack. I ride 90% rail to trails on excellent to fair surfaces.

I broke a spoke on rear wheel about 300 hundred miles ago end of last season. First ride yesterday and broke another on rear wheel after 10 miles. Took it in to my regular LBS for repair and he mentioned again that I should consider replacing the wheel set since these are 30 years old and I've had a couple spoke failures now on rear wheel. I've read about 2 spoke failures being a trend and to consider rebuilding wheel or replacing.

I love this bike. Plan to keep it for long term. How do I think through replacing what I think are pretty high quality rims with a new set? It's more of a case not knowing what I don't know and being afraid to replace these with something lower quality / durability. Thanks for any feedback to help me think through this...much appreciated!

Mark
rebgen is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 02:08 PM
  #1208  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,321

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,625 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by rebgen
****I just realized I can't start a new thread with my low post count. Posted my question in most relevant existing thread....apologies for posting a different question here.

I've read volumes of wisdom on this forum but this is only my 3rd post....thank you! I need some wisdom on thinking through whether I need to consider replacing these rims.

I have a 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (original owner) with 27" Wolber Super Champions (original equipment). Rear is a 40 spoke, front 36. 6sp freewheel. Everything is original equipment. I'm a 215lb rider and have a Topeak MTX bag on the rear rack. I ride 90% rail to trails on excellent to fair surfaces.

I broke a spoke on rear wheel about 300 hundred miles ago end of last season. First ride yesterday and broke another on rear wheel after 10 miles. Took it in to my regular LBS for repair and he mentioned again that I should consider replacing the wheel set since these are 30 years old and I've had a couple spoke failures now on rear wheel. I've read about 2 spoke failures being a trend and to consider rebuilding wheel or replacing.

I love this bike. Plan to keep it for long term. How do I think through replacing what I think are pretty high quality rims with a new set? It's more of a case not knowing what I don't know and being afraid to replace these with something lower quality / durability. Thanks for any feedback to help me think through this...much appreciated!

Mark
No worries you are in the right place or plenty close enough anyway.

Depends on your true endgame, I would seek out a 2nd opinion, while the spokes may be brittle and while it may be cheaper to replace the wheels, I would strongly consider rebuilding these if you can find a good wheel builder.

I would encourage you to keep these either way, do not let them get away from you, replace the broken spokes at the very least and keep for display.

Depending on where you are, there may be some from the forum that could help. Post in the ISO thread and see.

Also, dig in and get your post count up, and in the meantime post some pics so we can see what you've got, because "pics or it didn't happen".

Last edited by merziac; 04-07-19 at 02:11 PM.
merziac is online now  
Old 04-07-19, 04:54 PM
  #1209  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 22

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (retired), 2018 Trek 520

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merziac
No worries you are in the right place or plenty close enough anyway.

Depends on your true endgame, I would seek out a 2nd opinion, while the spokes may be brittle and while it may be cheaper to replace the wheels, I would strongly consider rebuilding these if you can find a good wheel builder.

I would encourage you to keep these either way, do not let them get away from you, replace the broken spokes at the very least and keep for display.

Depending on where you are, there may be some from the forum that could help. Post in the ISO thread and see.

Also, dig in and get your post count up, and in the meantime post some pics so we can see what you've got, because "pics or it didn't happen".
Thanks for the feedback! I'll ask better questions while I get a 2nd opinion rebuild vs. replace. I definitely want to keep the bike long-term. Love the frame, ISI shifting, and sentimental value. It's in excellent condition and just don't see what would be hugely improved with a new bike considering my riding requirements.

Will get a follow up pic posted asap per your instructions ;-)

Thanks!
rebgen is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 07:03 PM
  #1210  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,772

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,725 Times in 3,324 Posts
Taking the ferry to Bremerton ...



to pick up this Crescent ...




A size too small, and I can't pronounce the model (varldsmstarcykflm?) but it has some decent stuff on it. I was looking for a cheap smaller frame with nice paint I could fit with a long stem/seatpost and make into a rat-city bike as a complete change of pace. But I came up with this instead. Well, the price was right...
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 07:18 PM
  #1211  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,219

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Liked 1,386 Times in 731 Posts
Convinced the wife to let me paint 1 wall Celeste (Valspar Simply Aqua) in our bedroom...Found a match to my Bianchi banner at Lowe's

bfuser10291295 is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 08:06 PM
  #1212  
Car free since 2018
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 694

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Liked 271 Times in 136 Posts
Joined the Pacific Populaire on my slightly too big Sequoia. C&V were vastly outnumbered, but I did spot a Proctor (was told it was built in Alberta), a couple of Marinonis, a Fuji Touring III, Centurion Pro Tour 15, Miyata 512 (I think), an Apollo, an aluminum Schwinn (1980ish?). Might have been a couple more I didn't see but not a lot.


Last edited by rgvg; 04-07-19 at 08:46 PM.
rgvg is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 08:08 PM
  #1213  
Car free since 2018
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 694

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Liked 271 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Taking the ferry to Bremerton ...



to pick up this Crescent ...




A size too small, and I can't pronounce the model (varldsmstarcykflm?) but it has some decent stuff on it. I was looking for a cheap smaller frame with nice paint I could fit with a long stem/seatpost and make into a rat-city bike as a complete change of pace. But I came up with this instead. Well, the price was right...
Man that guy's got a lot of stuff. He had this Motobecane Grand Record earlier last year. If only I lived closer.... I think someone else on the forum got it for $150. I forgot who.
rgvg is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 11:06 PM
  #1214  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,772

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,725 Times in 3,324 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Man that guy's got a lot of stuff.
Yeah. He said he gets them from a friend and sometimes drives to seattle and unloads 'em at 20/20 Cycles in the central district. They charge a huge sum for their bikes ... even more than I do, and I do a full overhaul.

So I let him know he sold me a super pretty univega four years ago. And I hope to go over again if something nice pops up. This crescent has campy high-flange hubs, which is a nice bonus.



The two other bikes on the ferry were apparently going over to seattle to play some bike polo.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 12:54 AM
  #1215  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,321

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,625 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Convinced the wife to let me paint 1 wall Celeste (Valspar Simply Aqua) in our bedroom...Found a match to my Bianchi banner at Lowe's

Celeste wall in the house FTW, brilliant!
merziac is online now  
Old 04-08-19, 01:09 AM
  #1216  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,424

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Liked 2,059 Times in 1,001 Posts
I'll post pictures when I get the chance/when I can actually get better lighting, but I took a leisurely five hours or so and built up a Land Shark Road Shark frameset that I picked up yesterday after helping the seller with his bike (we buy and sell parts to each other, mostly I sell to him). I finally have a Land Shark, silly short chain stays and all. Sweet wacky paint job, too. This will be the last new-to-me bike build as I am slowly working to sell off a bunch of parts, frames, and complete bikes. Nothing is wrong, it just needs to happen. The LS was in the works for a few weeks, and its dimensions are a bit 'Grail'-ish as far as "if I were to build a custom frame" goes. Fortunately I don't have to do that! Prestige tubing, lighter than my Prestige-tubed Prologue, and taller! (66cm vs 63.5cm) Rides like a freaking magic carpet. As in, I swear there were bumps here before....it is something else, on multiple fronts.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 06:57 AM
  #1217  
Senior Member
 
jbchybridrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 2,802
Liked 402 Times in 152 Posts
Last decals fitted. Now to start fitting some Superbe bits





jbchybridrider is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 11:51 AM
  #1218  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,321

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,625 Times in 3,800 Posts
[MENTION=20876]hazetguy[/MENTION]

No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

Oh yes they will.

merziac is online now  
Old 04-12-19, 12:15 PM
  #1219  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Taking the ferry to Bremerton ...



to pick up this Crescent ...




A size too small, and I can't pronounce the model (varldsmstarcykflm?) but it has some decent stuff on it. I was looking for a cheap smaller frame with nice paint I could fit with a long stem/seatpost and make into a rat-city bike as a complete change of pace. But I came up with this instead. Well, the price was right...
I have seen that guys ads for years on CL and been curious to see the collection. My Dad grew up in Bremerton so I spent a lot of childhood car trips going to visit the Grand parents there.
ryansu is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 12:17 PM
  #1220  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy

I stopped by a shop, and a couple super nice guys checked out a frame I own.





now that is a tool chest! nice Snap-on
ryansu is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 12:33 PM
  #1221  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,772

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,725 Times in 3,324 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I have seen that guys ads for years on CL and been curious to see the collection.
I don't think he rides or wrenches. Just moves random stock a friend picks up through estate sales. For some reason, he uses motor oil after he ensures stems and seatposts are free. It makes for a messy and smelly disassembly.

He didn't show the missing paint on the top tube's nds in his ad for the crescent. Not sure I would've made the trip had I seen that. But the campy hubs alone are probably worth the $75 he asked. And it was a good excuse to take a ride across the sound.

Dad grew up in Bremerton, so I spent a lot of childhood car trips going to visit the Grand parents there.
Lucky. The ferry takes an hour, but the time flies. So easy, sitting by the window with a good novel in my hand.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 02:40 PM
  #1222  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I don't think he rides or wrenches. Just moves random stock a friend picks up through estate sales. For some reason, he uses motor oil after he ensures stems and seatposts are free. It makes for a messy and smelly disassembly.

He didn't show the missing paint on the top tube's nds in his ad for the crescent. Not sure I would've made the trip had I seen that. But the campy hubs alone are probably worth the $75 he asked. And it was a good excuse to take a ride across the sound.



Lucky. The ferry takes an hour, but the time flies. So easy, sitting by the window with a good novel in my hand.
GTK about the less than thorough descriptions, I'll remember to make the trip only for something I really want that is the right $$. I was kind of interested in a Specialized Sirrus he had on CL but it was a mishmash of parts and I have too many project already
ryansu is offline  
Old 04-14-19, 11:47 AM
  #1223  
Polymultiplié
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 11,137

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 5,009 Times in 1,865 Posts
Visited a bike jumble today. Aimed mostly at general antique and vintage cycles, not at sports and racing cycles in particular. Which is why I like it, as I am one of the few visitors who do like the racing stuff that is clogging up the sellers' business. "How much for the whole box?" is a question I like to ask at this venue.

So, among other things, like a box full of incomplete brakes and derailleurs to be stripped for parts, I came home with a bag full of stems:



A rather pretty and quite useful 3TTT Record Competizione 26.8 mm seatpost:





Some levers I adore (see my other thread):



And this. Meant for Dia-Compe brakes of course, but I will try it on other brands:



Also worth mentioning is this 18" persuasion tool. I can hardly lift it, but boy, do I dig this:

__________________
Are we having fun, or what ...




Last edited by non-fixie; 04-14-19 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typo
non-fixie is offline  
Old 04-14-19, 12:44 PM
  #1224  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,219

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Liked 1,386 Times in 731 Posts
Worked on the Gios today just installed rear derailleur and brakes

bfuser10291295 is offline  
Old 04-14-19, 02:02 PM
  #1225  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Visited a bike jumble today. Aimed mostly at general antique and vintage cycles, not at sports and racing cycles in particular. Which is why I like it, as I am one of the few visitors who do like the racing stuff that is clogging up the sellers' business. "How much for the whole box?" is a question I like to ask at this venue.





And this. Meant for Dia-Compe brakes of course, but I will try it on other brands:


I have a knock off of the above I got on Amazon and it works great for setting up brakes - truly a 3rd hand
ryansu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.