Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Today, I Commit

Old 11-28-16, 05:07 AM
  #1  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, I Commit

I really struggle with overeating, and it is interfering with my cycling goals and my health in general. So today, Monday, 11/28/2016 I commit to eating appropriately. For me, this means a low carbohydrate diet with no binge eating. I'm going to attempt this everyday, but only commit to each present day.

Who's with me? If you want to commit today or start another day, join in when you're ready.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 10:16 AM
  #2  
Yendor72
Senior Member
 
Yendor72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 884

Bikes: 2013 Masi Premiare PC3, 2016 Framed Wolftrax, 2016 Trek Emonda SL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
We're on the same schedule. After my 4 days in Vegas followed by Thanksgiving I need to recommit myself to eating right and exercising. I haven't been on a bike in what seems like months (even though it is maybe 2 weeks).

I am not much of a binge eater as I am a beer lover. I have to cut back on that too. Come January I will make a concerted effort to cut out drinking for the month and kick weight loss into overdrive. We all know the holiday's are unrealistic for true weight loss, but that does not mean to allow yourself to over indulge at every opportunity. Right now it is habit forming time. Get back on that bike and make sure that the habit of working out is made. Insure that my eating is as clean and healthy along with portion control. Time to start getting in the habit of counting calories again. Good luck to you @Bassmanbob!

This was a commitment that I made with my wife this past weekend too.
Yendor72 is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 01:00 PM
  #3  
bulldog1935
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: downtown Bulverde, Texas
Posts: 2,717

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just pedal more - farther and faster.
bulldog1935 is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 06:43 PM
  #4  
coney462
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 152

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
I really struggle with overeating, and it is interfering with my cycling goals and my health in general. So today, Monday, 11/28/2016 I commit to eating appropriately. For me, this means a low carbohydrate diet with no binge eating. I'm going to attempt this everyday, but only commit to each present day.

Who's with me? If you want to commit today or start another day, join in when you're ready.
I committed 3.5 months or 60 lbs ago
coney462 is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 08:36 PM
  #5  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462 View Post
I committed 3.5 months or 60 lbs ago
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 08:36 PM
  #6  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72 View Post
We're on the same schedule. After my 4 days in Vegas followed by Thanksgiving I need to recommit myself to eating right and exercising. I haven't been on a bike in what seems like months (even though it is maybe 2 weeks).

I am not much of a binge eater as I am a beer lover. I have to cut back on that too. Come January I will make a concerted effort to cut out drinking for the month and kick weight loss into overdrive. We all know the holiday's are unrealistic for true weight loss, but that does not mean to allow yourself to over indulge at every opportunity. Right now it is habit forming time. Get back on that bike and make sure that the habit of working out is made. Insure that my eating is as clean and healthy along with portion control. Time to start getting in the habit of counting calories again. Good luck to you @Bassmanbob!

This was a commitment that I made with my wife this past weekend too.
Good luck to you too, Yendor72!
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 07:05 AM
  #7  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Yesterday went well.

Today, Tuesday, 11/29/2016, I commit to eating appropriately. For me, it means a low carbohydrate diet with no binge eating.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 11:13 AM
  #8  
ahanulec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 121

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After an accident two months ago I was unable to ride for a while. In the first 3 weeks of minimal activity i gained 5 pounds.

I joined Weight Watchers and dropped about 10 pounds since. Great program.

I'm trying maintain strength while doing this so hopefully when I do fully get back on the bike in the spring I'll take on some hills and see what that feels like.
ahanulec is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 12:50 PM
  #9  
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Posts: 11,669
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Still doing WeightWatchers here, and staying under my goal weight of 200 lbs. It's not a "low carbohydrate" diet, but the program does discourage you from overeating carbs.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 11:26 AM
  #10  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, 11/30/2016, I commit to appropriate eating. Low carb, higher vegetables and moderate protein. I need to watch salt, since I tend to increase salt when watching my weight.

Weight Watchers is a great program. I've considered going back.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 12:31 PM
  #11  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,040
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
I know this is a cycling forum, but it saddens me when I read that so and so gained X lbs. because an accident, or theft, took their exercise source away. Runners make the same posts when an injury or illness forces them off their feet for an extended time. Two strategies: first, diversify your exercise options. If your go to source of aerobic fitness and fat loss is cycling, I think you should also be able and willing to use a rowing machine or elliptical.

I also think weight training, whether free weight or machines, is of much more benefit than it is given credit for. True fact: all the cardio in the world won't do anything for a diabetic's insulin resistance. All it does is burn calories that would otherwise turn to fat. Building muscle, however, can, and will, lower your A1C because new muscle will not be insulin resistant. Every Type II diabetic should be in the gym lifting heavy. In fact, those stories about diabetes reversal are mostly myth. The ones that involved weight lifting regimens are the possible exceptions.

Second thing is to be honest about how much of weight management is really due to exercise. The way most of us do it cycling burns 200 to 300 calories an hour! That's it. A week of cycling won't even knock a pound off. It's main benefit is to your heart. Not everyone who is overweight is diabetic, but (IMO) everyone who is overweight should behave as if they were also diabetic. That means that anyone who is overweight and unhappy about it should treat sugar like the mortal enemy that it is. Low Carb also mean no sugar. Zero sugar intake. Sugar substitutes, preferably natural ones (Stevia, Xylitol) absolutely, but the less granulated sugar the better, and ideally, none at all. FWIW.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 02:05 PM
  #12  
Yendor72
Senior Member
 
Yendor72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 884

Bikes: 2013 Masi Premiare PC3, 2016 Framed Wolftrax, 2016 Trek Emonda SL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Second thing is to be honest about how much of weight management is really due to exercise. The way most of us do it cycling burns 200 to 300 calories an hour! That's it. A week of cycling won't even knock a pound off. It's main benefit is to your heart. Not everyone who is overweight is diabetic, but (IMO) everyone who is overweight should behave as if they were also diabetic. That means that anyone who is overweight and unhappy about it should treat sugar like the mortal enemy that it is. Low Carb also mean no sugar. Zero sugar intake. Sugar substitutes, preferably natural ones (Stevia, Xylitol) absolutely, but the less granulated sugar the better, and ideally, none at all. FWIW.
Sorry, if it takes a chemical bath to make it it's not natural. Go research Stevia and find out why the Stevia plant is not approved by the FDA.

Here, I'll give you a hand at looking at that as well: Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
Yendor72 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 08:25 PM
  #13  
MikeRides
Senior Member
 
MikeRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,269

Bikes: Trek 1.1 (road), Raleigh Detour 4.5 (trail)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best of luck to you Bassmanbob. My advice from personal experience: When you feel hungry, just drink a glass of water.
MikeRides is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 08:55 PM
  #14  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
In order to remain honest here, I'll report this evening that I binged today. Right after I started this thread on Monday, I crashed my bike during my morning commute. It resulted in bruised ribs, friction burns across my chest and a bruised rotator cuff. This afternoon, I was having persistently painful muscles spasms by my bruised ribs. It was difficult to concentrate at work, so I left as early as I could, came home and binged before dinner.

I've always said that what I need is not a diet, but a lobotomy. Tomorrow, I'll commit again. Fortunately, today's x-ray revealed no fractured ribs. The spasms seem to be resolving tonight. I'll try to get back on the road bike for a casual ride tomorrow. There will be no commuting until my Trek 520 (commuter) gets a new fork.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 10:18 PM
  #15  
RunningPirate
Senior Member
 
RunningPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Millbrae, CA
Posts: 662

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer (Stolen, those SOB's), 1999 Specialized FSR Elite (soon to be cannibalized), 2011 Raleigh Record Ace, 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo (to be built with parts from the FSR)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
In order to remain honest here, I'll report this evening that I binged today. Right after I started this thread on Monday, I crashed my bike during my morning commute. It resulted in bruised ribs, friction burns across my chest and a bruised rotator cuff. This afternoon, I was having persistently painful muscles spasms by my bruised ribs. It was difficult to concentrate at work, so I left as early as I could, came home and binged before dinner.

I've always said that what I need is not a diet, but a lobotomy. Tomorrow, I'll commit again. Fortunately, today's x-ray revealed no fractured ribs. The spasms seem to be resolving tonight. I'll try to get back on the road bike for a casual ride tomorrow. There will be no commuting until my Trek 520 (commuter) gets a new fork.
Sorry about the accident. As for the binging...it happens. They gray squishy thing between out ears often has some faulty software that makes us do illogical things (like binge when we're angry, lonely, tired, hurt, stressed, or any combination of those). The important thing is to get back on the program, which it sounds like you're already fixing to do!
RunningPirate is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 05:18 AM
  #16  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, I commit to appropriate eating. This includes a low carbohydrate, moderate protein and higher vegetable intake with no binge eating. We will see what the day brings as far as the muscle spasms. They're still present, but significantly decreased this morning.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 06:51 AM
  #17  
bulldog1935
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: downtown Bulverde, Texas
Posts: 2,717

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Binge is a problem. Avoid eating because you're bored - find something else to do - tinker on your bike.
Wait until you're hungry to eat.
My sister asked me recently if I had lost weight - I honestly don't know. I don't think about my weight, but about how to fit in my next ride.
bulldog1935 is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 08:56 AM
  #18  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 23,089

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 129 Posts
tough time of year to start
rumrunn6 is online now  
Old 12-02-16, 03:39 PM
  #19  
NYSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Second thing is to be honest about how much of weight management is really due to exercise. The way most of us do it cycling burns 200 to 300 calories an hour! That's it. A week of cycling won't even knock a pound off. It's main benefit is to your heart. Not everyone who is overweight is diabetic, but (IMO) everyone who is overweight should behave as if they were also diabetic. That means that anyone who is overweight and unhappy about it should treat sugar like the mortal enemy that it is. Low Carb also mean no sugar. Zero sugar intake. Sugar substitutes, preferably natural ones (Stevia, Xylitol) absolutely, but the less granulated sugar the better, and ideally, none at all. FWIW.
In my opinion you really dropped the ball here. Xylitol and Stevia, Really? Both products are known to raise blood sugar when consumed.

Go to Walmart purchase a $10.00 Relion glucose meter and test this. Additionally these two products along with all other fake natural sweeteners the the Leptin flowing through the body.

We should abstain from any products that have sugar, sweetener or any fake **** in it as an added ingredient.

If you give up all grains, sugars, and artificial sweeteners as added ingredients and eat natural, your taste buds will change. You will eat cabbage and realize how sweet cabbage is. You will no longer crave sweets. This in an N = 1 with me and the 5000 other people who are living a life with No Sugars and No Grains.

I believe that people should do what they feel comfortable with for losing weight. I used to preach about Low Card or #NSNG lifestyle. Now, I kind of feel like anything you did today better than yesterday is good.

Last edited by NYSteve; 12-02-16 at 03:43 PM.
NYSteve is offline  
Old 12-02-16, 04:09 PM
  #20  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,562

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I lost 40 pounds since April of this year by cutting down on my sugar intake and cutting down on carbs. I'm kind of at a stuck point regarding my weight because I'm off the bike due to colder weather, and I haven't been as strict with myself regarding carbs as I should be. I'm not going to sweat it so much through the rest of the holidays but I'm not going to give in to gluttony, either. I'm just going to do what I can to make sure my weight doesn't go back up.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Old 12-03-16, 04:51 AM
  #21  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
I lost 40 pounds since April of this year by cutting down on my sugar intake and cutting down on carbs. I'm kind of at a stuck point regarding my weight because I'm off the bike due to colder weather, and I haven't been as strict with myself regarding carbs as I should be. I'm not going to sweat it so much through the rest of the holidays but I'm not going to give in to gluttony, either. I'm just going to do what I can to make sure my weight doesn't go back up.
Great job on those 40 lbs!!!
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-03-16, 04:59 AM
  #22  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, Saturday, 12/3/16, I commit to appropriate eating-- low carbs and no binge eating.

I'm finally riding again since Sunday. Monday, only one mile into my commute, I bruised a couple of ribs from a cycling crash into a stockade fence. X-rays were negative for fractures. Today will be an easy test ride. Yesterday was the first day I could take a deep breath without much pain. I'm not going to push myself today, but I need to get on the bike more for my head than anything else.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-04-16, 11:06 AM
  #23  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, Sunday, 12/4/16, I commit to healthy eating with no binging.

Yesterday was a great victory. I rode to the Saturday morning meeting point to see how I felt on the bike. I felt find, so I went for the typical Satuday ride. Then I rode to the bagel place... and only had coffee while others had their food. I ate breakfast before I left home and had a good lunch when I got home. Overall, it was just over a half century.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-05-16, 07:32 AM
  #24  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 539

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Today, Monday, 12/5/16, I commit to appropriate eating. For me this includes a low carbohydrate, moderate protein and increased veggie diet with no binging.

To review the last week, I didn't focus on portion size, except for binge eating. I did binge one day (Wednesday), but got back on track. I only cycled once due to my bruised ribs; fortunately that felt good. I now consider myself back on the bike.

This morning I am two pounds lighter than last Monday. It's not much, but it's a start.

Just as a reminder, if anyone is still reading this, chime in at any time, especially if you want to commit a day of appropriate eating.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-05-16, 07:40 AM
  #25  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
This might be the single most inspiring thread on BikeForums.
Trakhak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.