Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Ok so I have my bike now, what else do I need?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ok so I have my bike now, what else do I need?

Old 06-10-17, 08:05 AM
  #26  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1 View Post
I know people have strong opinions on this, but I completely disagree with the segment of people that are against cycling with headphones. I know I can hear MUCH better than anyone in a car on my bike with my headphones on. That there are laws against it in some states are laughable to me.

Should you cycle with earphones in? - Cycling Weekly

Also like I said, I am not riding on the road or an any urban areas. I run into joggers all the time with earbuds in and most of them can hear my "on the left" just fine, though I have had a few that have the earbuds blaring and don't. I won't wear earbuds, but I will find an over the ear solution that will work with a helmet.
I wouldn't jog outside with headphones on for the same reason. Especially when you are just getting back to cycling and IMO, you should not be trying to distract yourself but rather, focus on what you are doing. It probably isn't a great idea to blast music while in a car, but at least in a car, you have a couple of thousand lbs of metal, seatbelts, and airbags should you lose control of your car. On a bicycle, you are completely exposed. You are a grown man, so in the end, it is up to you. In my neck of the woods, protected MUPs still cross roads at surprisingly regular intervals. One possible solution would be to mount a bluetooth speaker to your bike if you really can't unplug for an hour or two while riding your bike. Then you get the distraction of some tunes without having it literally in your ear.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-10-17 at 08:09 AM.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 08:30 AM
  #27  
mwalsh5757
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles basin
Posts: 161

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1 View Post
Anyway I have a problem. I always wear headphones when I workout, no matter if I am walking, jogging, lifting weights, riding my bike. Its not a negotiable situation, I HAVE to have that music or audio book playing when I work out in order to concentrate on something other than the exercise itself.

I HAVE to watch TV when I'm using the treadmill and erg for the same reasons. Not negotiable. But I don't feel the need to strap a 20" LCD to my handlebars when I go out on the bike. Try it without the headphones...you might like it!
mwalsh5757 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 08:33 AM
  #28  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757 View Post
I HAVE to watch TV when I'm using the treadmill and erg for the same reasons. Not negotiable. But I don't feel the need to strap a 20" LCD to my handlebars when I go out on the bike. Try it without the headphones...you might like it!
MRT2 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 11:41 AM
  #29  
Garilia
Senior Member
 
Garilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Park...ing Lot
Posts: 721

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally don't get why joggers run with headphones on either. If someone can be a little more alert in their environment when personal safety is a huge factor, I'm not sure why anyone would want to dull their awareness. It's a moot point for me since i live in a state where it's illegal. When I am riding on trails and mtb trails, I like hearing nature, as well as bicyclists who are wishing to overtake me, or cross paths with me. I have hearing loss anyway due to listening to high decibel music with headphones for years. So I save the music for when I'm driving in my car.
Garilia is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 11:58 AM
  #30  
bigbiker1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand where people are coming from on the headphone issue. There are certainly people that should not wear headphones while even just walking lol. Personally I have been a multi tasker my entire adult life. I have been a police/fire/rescue/911 dispatcher, Sheriff's Deputy, State Trooper and most recently worked in the financial industry. I am use to doing two or 20 things at once. I listened to music while handling trades worth a few thousand to close to a billion dollars. The music helps me to concentrate on what I am doing. Its hard to explain, but if I don't have some music or a book going to occupy that part of my mind then I would actually have much less attention to give to riding my bike, the other part of my mind would be racing and greatly distracting. I know it sounds odd and I am not explaining it very well. Its a big part of why I was diagnosed as OCD.

I rode on the local rail to trail this morning for the first time. Where I started is paved for the first mile and all uphill for the first 2 miles, then flat to slightly downhill the next two miles until you hit the next town. I got to the next town and turned back around. I was tired but doing pretty good, until I hit 6 miles. I again hit a brick wall, but luckily there was a brand new sheltered bench that happened to be right there. So I stopped and ate a glucose tab and a piece of beef jerky I brought with me. The last two miles is easy as its downhill, but the seat I bought to alleviate the pressure due to chafing unfortunately moves my riding position so too much of my weight is on my handle bars (it does however do very well in keeping any pressure off sensitive parts). My hands and forearms were numb at this point from having to hold up my weight for so long. Since I was downhill I was keeping a pace of about 16mph until a large branch was in the path, I swerved around it and still don't know how I didn't crash. I lost control and braked, and I was able to jump off and stay on my feet and keep my bike from falling. Thank goodness there were no trees on the side of the trail right there. I pulled the branch off the trail and finished up at a much slower 8mph lol. I got 8 miles in though, very happy with that. I know its not much but it seems like a long way for me.

I put my other saddle back on and I will not ride tomorrow, so hopefully Monday I will be healed enough that my normal seat won't be painful.
bigbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 12:57 PM
  #31  
Garilia
Senior Member
 
Garilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Park...ing Lot
Posts: 721

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 miles is a really big accomplishment. You're pushing your limits, while dealing with pain and discomfort, and breaking in your new bike (or do they break us in?)
How long did that 8 mile ride take? I bet you're spending more time outside and exercising than you have in a long time. Good for you!
Garilia is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 01:59 PM
  #32  
bigbiker1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
8 miles is a really big accomplishment. You're pushing your limits, while dealing with pain and discomfort, and breaking in your new bike (or do they break us in?)
How long did that 8 mile ride take? I bet you're spending more time outside and exercising than you have in a long time. Good for you!
Uhh, well actual time riding was about 40 minutes lol. With two rests thrown in, one at the half way and a longer one at the 6 mile mark, it took over an hour. Not breaking any records, that's for sure hehe.

Edit: I have had my bike for 5 days and have 23 miles on the odometer, and that's with just 4 days riding. Just a week ago that would have seemed an impossible task....

Last edited by bigbiker1; 06-10-17 at 02:07 PM.
bigbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 02:02 PM
  #33  
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Posts: 881

Bikes: Fuji Nevada, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
I personally don't get why joggers run with headphones on either.
They just need open headphones (most ppl probably don't know these exist ) I wouldn't do it nearly as often if i couldn't listen to music.
Astrozombie is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 04:07 PM
  #34  
Garilia
Senior Member
 
Garilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Park...ing Lot
Posts: 721

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1 View Post
Uhh, well actual time riding was about 40 minutes lol. With two rests thrown in, one at the half way and a longer one at the 6 mile mark, it took over an hour. Not breaking any records, that's for sure hehe.

Edit: I have had my bike for 5 days and have 23 miles on the odometer, and that's with just 4 days riding. Just a week ago that would have seemed an impossible task....
You are breaking records...your own. You pushed past the 5 mile barrier. You did some hills. You were able to get past your initial bonk. This is great stuff. Personal best is what matters. You might find some days where you push your mileage and overall time on the bike, other days you spend less time, but increase your MPH. There will come a time when 8 miles will take under 35 minutes, or you'll do 10 miles in 40...it's all growth.
Garilia is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 04:25 PM
  #35  
Dennis609
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 33

Bikes: '02 Surly Cross Check, '88 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757 View Post
Got my helmet so I looked more like a cyclist on the MUT and less like a homeless person with a bike. The helmet seemed to be the differentiation between the two groups.
I am totally stealing that.
Dennis609 is offline  
Old 06-11-17, 10:58 AM
  #36  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1 View Post
I understand where people are coming from on the headphone issue. There are certainly people that should not wear headphones while even just walking lol. Personally I have been a multi tasker my entire adult life. I have been a police/fire/rescue/911 dispatcher, Sheriff's Deputy, State Trooper and most recently worked in the financial industry. I am use to doing two or 20 things at once. I listened to music while handling trades worth a few thousand to close to a billion dollars. The music helps me to concentrate on what I am doing. Its hard to explain, but if I don't have some music or a book going to occupy that part of my mind then I would actually have much less attention to give to riding my bike, the other part of my mind would be racing and greatly distracting. I know it sounds odd and I am not explaining it very well. Its a big part of why I was diagnosed as OCD.

I rode on the local rail to trail this morning for the first time. Where I started is paved for the first mile and all uphill for the first 2 miles, then flat to slightly downhill the next two miles until you hit the next town. I got to the next town and turned back around. I was tired but doing pretty good, until I hit 6 miles. I again hit a brick wall, but luckily there was a brand new sheltered bench that happened to be right there. So I stopped and ate a glucose tab and a piece of beef jerky I brought with me. The last two miles is easy as its downhill, but the seat I bought to alleviate the pressure due to chafing unfortunately moves my riding position so too much of my weight is on my handle bars (it does however do very well in keeping any pressure off sensitive parts). My hands and forearms were numb at this point from having to hold up my weight for so long. Since I was downhill I was keeping a pace of about 16mph until a large branch was in the path, I swerved around it and still don't know how I didn't crash. I lost control and braked, and I was able to jump off and stay on my feet and keep my bike from falling. Thank goodness there were no trees on the side of the trail right there. I pulled the branch off the trail and finished up at a much slower 8mph lol. I got 8 miles in though, very happy with that. I know its not much but it seems like a long way for me.

I put my other saddle back on and I will not ride tomorrow, so hopefully Monday I will be healed enough that my normal seat won't be painful.
As I said, you will make quick progress. Keep riding and in a month or two, 8 miles will seem like a warm up.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 06-11-17, 02:58 PM
  #37  
bigbiker1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post
They just need open headphones (most ppl probably don't know these exist ) I wouldn't do it nearly as often if i couldn't listen to music.
This is what I ended up ordering. This should alleviate all the safety concerns. No hearing obstruction what so ever.

I appreciate the encouraging replies! It is 96 and very very humid today, glad I am resting today. The bad news is its going to be hot and humid all week. I am going to get up early and try to be on the trail by 7am.

Last edited by bigbiker1; 06-11-17 at 03:03 PM.
bigbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-12-17, 06:38 AM
  #38  
NYSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Those of us who are follicly challenged" made me laugh out loud at work. Now people are walking by to see what I am looking at.
NYSteve is offline  
Old 06-12-17, 09:58 AM
  #39  
bigbiker1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got up early and hit the trail again this morning. It was actually very pleasant, overcast and about 75 with a breeze. Humid though and a storm was brewing. I went from the trail head in one town and then about 1/2 a mile past the next trail head before the sky started looking a little more serious. I turned around and headed back, not having to stop this time and I actually felt really good when I got back to the trail head where I started. I rode past but only got 1/4 mile before a big streak of lightning and thunder hit, so I went back to my jeep. 9.5miles total! I was feeling good but my legs just about gave out when I got off my bike, so it was probably good I didn't go too much farther. It also started pouring as soon as I got back on the road.

The last two miles are downhill and Saturday I did lot of coasting because I was so tired. I pedaled the whole way this time and averaged 19.4mph that last 2 miles, 12.7mph for the whole 9.5 miles. I have to say I am pretty happy with my progress and I am MUCH happier then when I was walking for exercise!

My insulated stainless water bottle, new open ear headphones and bike rack are supposed to arrive today. I hope the rack works well on my Jeep Compass. When I am done riding and exhausted its a real pain to get it into the back of the Jeep. It has to be held at exactly the right angle or it won't fit, that can be very frustrating when I am worn out.
bigbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-12-17, 10:08 AM
  #40  
Garilia
Senior Member
 
Garilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Park...ing Lot
Posts: 721

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new record for you! Excellent progress.
Garilia is offline  
Old 06-12-17, 10:12 PM
  #41  
ChuckD6421 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 252

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just wanted to jump in and give you a "well done, sir!" You're doing it exactly right. keep it fun, keep it light.
The only thing you need (to answer your initial question) is some "saddle sores", and I mean that in more the figurative sense. I'd forget the whole miles obsession, I've had the chance in a 'previous lifetime' to have trained and raced with Pro level riders and most of them seemed to be more concerned with time in the saddle than miles.
'Today we ride 2 hours fast', or '4 hours endurance pace', etc.
Personally I use a Garmin 500 and spend most of my time looking at my heartrate and my average speed. Chasing average speed is a great motivator. Time in the saddle will be a great confidence booster which, if I could be candid, it sounds like you could use some more of. It'll come though, with time.

One other bit of advice: I've been in cycling forums since before there was a World Wide Web (think: dumb terminals, a 1200 baud modem and a BBS's). There are two topics guaranteed to devolve into blaming the Nazis and that's to wear a helmet or not, and to wear headphones or not. Do what you want and keep it to yourself.

For the record I rode tens of thousands of miles without a helmet until 10 years ago or so when I changed my mind (no other reason) and now I don't go without.

I love listening to all kinds of music when riding, with sound isolating ear buds and have thousands of miles going back to the original SONY Walkman.
BUT!
I always have an awareness of what's happening behind me and if in doubt, always assume more than one car is overtaking and more likely a truck. Then look (learn how to take a quick look behind you and hold a straight line, one of the first things I taught my kids when they learned to ride).

Anyway, do what you want, be safe and don't preach. And keep it fun.
ChuckD6421 is offline  
Old 06-13-17, 12:01 PM
  #42  
NYSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work!

You improved a lot in such a short time.
NYSteve is offline  
Old 06-13-17, 12:13 PM
  #43  
bigbiker1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement!! Its much appreciated!
bigbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-13-17, 05:06 PM
  #44  
Moriarty
Member
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 1990's Trek 990 Singletrack, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the same problem with New Balance running shoes. I love the wide sizes because they fit my feet but the wide soles really suck for cycling. Get a pair of sneakers, preferably cycling ones for the strengthened sole. I've used the Chrome Kursk shoes and loved them. Currently, I use a pair of Five Ten cycling sneakers. They're pretty good. Nice and comfortable and the treads don't rub the cranks.
Moriarty is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
blaronn
Road Cycling
78
01-07-12 02:10 PM
Motobetird
Bicycle Mechanics
0
02-26-11 07:09 PM
karmantra
Recreational & Family
1
10-23-09 09:49 AM
linux_author
Living Car Free
32
09-17-06 01:26 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.